ImageImageImageImageImage

its time to talk Chris Paul

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

its time to talk Chris Paul 

Post#1 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:26 pm

I know this board is generally enamored with youth and potential, draft picks and cap space, but Paul is an interesting option to discuss

now any discussion begins with his incredible salary

he would take us out of the running for Giannis. But are we in the running really?

He would take away playing time from some of the young guys and potentially this years pick. But is that really so bad if they are learning from one of the best in the league at the point?

His cost - in salary and trade - are the downsides.
Salary is legit. I forget but i think hes making 30 mil a year for the next two.
Trade cost is hard to figure as he might be coming with more than he costs. Would OKC in rebuild be sending some of their hoard of picks to move Paul? Common understanding says yes. Also on the move would be guys like Adams. Perhaps even Shrooder.

For the knicks adding Paul would do two things right away

1} it would make the team a serious one overnight. Paul isnt taking any nights off. Hes going to demand quality from his teammates and he will echo Thib's intensity on both ends. IMO the "best leader in basketball" would turn the franchise around in terms of IQ and intensity overnight.

2} it would change the perception of the franchise immediately. No player besides LeBron is more respected around the league than Paul. the joke that the franchise is would no longer be on the court or in the locker room. Leadership and accountability would be in the coaching staff and on the court.

Now that said its all about what it costs.

I for one would seriously consider a trade for Paul if were sending Portis and Randle and DSJ {and Bullok and ellington} and were getting back Paul and were getting OKC's 2021 pick. their 2020 is top 20 protected so it might go to phily and their 2022 is top 10 protected so it might go to Atl. If they can move their 2021 to us with Paul then its a sale for me.
or the 2022 and 2024 clippers picks perhaps.

With Paul, Robinson, RJ, this years pick and whatever develops out of knox and co I like our chances to be competitive towards the bottom of the east

could there be a better role model for frank and whoever we draft this year than Paul?
but most of all Id love to see leadership and quality on the floor for us again

your thoughts and flames below ...
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,642

Re: its time to talk Chris Paul 

Post#2 » by mpharris36 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:28 pm

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#3 » by HEZI » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:31 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Image

Did you read his post though? He's saying if we can dump Randle and DSJ while taking back CP3 and OKCs 2021 pick, you still don't do it?
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#4 » by Oscirus » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:32 pm

If they trading paul, they arent giving up picks, the team that gets paul would be lucky if they didnt give up picks. But if its contract absorption, wouldnt be mad at that deal
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#5 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:32 pm

I'd definitely consider your proposed trade, but I don't think OKC is giving up draft capital to move Paul at this point - and in fact would argue that they're going to require some from the Knicks to complete a trade. I don't think they're moving Paul as a salary dump like the Rockets did.

If that's the case this whole conversation is moot to me.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#6 » by mpharris36 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:34 pm

HEZI wrote:

Did you read his post though? He's saying if we can dump Randle and DSJ while taking back CP3 and OKCs 2021 pick, you still don't do it?

ok in that situation I would consider it. But lets be honest no way OKC does that. We will end up trading assets. So that is why I'm more likely to agree to the conley type deal because he's an expiring. i don't want CP3 for 2 years at 40+ million in 2021-22 season.

ROSTER

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,880

Post#7 » by GONYK » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:34 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:I'd definitely consider your proposed trade, but I don't think OKC is giving up draft capital to move Paul at this point - and in fact would argue that they're going to require some from the Knicks to complete a trade. I don't think they're moving Paul as a salary dump like the Rockets did.

If that's the case this whole conversation is moot to me.
Depends on how broke OKC is due to Covid
HEZI
RealGM

Post#8 » by HEZI » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:40 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

ok in that situation I would consider it. But lets be honest no way OKC does that. We will end up trading assets. So that is why I'm more likely to agree to the conley type deal because he's an expiring. i don't want CP3 for 2 years at 40+ million in 2021-22 season.

It might depend on the offer. I think both OKC and CP3 are ready to move on but it will all depend on the offers available that determine his value. If nobody is offering picks then they wont get any and might have to settle on a Randle and DSJ as a young asset if thats the best offer out there. CP3s contract doesnt make it easy to complete a deal and although I doubt CP3 would even want to come to the Knicks as we aren't in position to win now, they might be willing to do him a favor and take a worse deal in order to send him to a better situation out of respect.

Personally I think he would be a great fit in Miami if they could somehow work out a deal for him.
DENVER NUGGETS
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Post#9 » by robillionaire » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:41 pm

Give me a first round pick and also take Randle or I’m good
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#10 » by mpharris36 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:42 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

It might depend on the offer. I think both OKC and CP3 are ready to move on but it will all depend on the offers available that determine his value. If nobody is offering picks then they wont get any and might have to settle on a Randle and DSJ as a young asset if thats the best offer out there. CP3s contract doesnt make it easy to complete a deal and although I doubt CP3 would even want to come to the Knicks as we aren't in position to win now, they might be willing to do him a favor and take a worse deal in order to send him to a better situation out of respect.

Personally I think he would be a great fit in Miami if they could somehow work out a deal for him.

i think Miami tried to, I just don't think they could make the salaries work.

I just know for a fact he will get injured on the knicks and that 40+ MM 2 years from now sitting on our books will hamper this team.

All things equal I am pushing for that Conley even though he nowhere near the player CP3 is over this CP3 deal.

ROSTER

HEZI
RealGM

Post#11 » by HEZI » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:47 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I just know for a fact he will get injured on the knicks and that 40+ MM 2 years from now sitting on our books will hamper this team.

All things equal I am pushing for that Conley even though he nowhere near the player CP3 is over this CP3 deal.

I'd do it just for that 2021 pick and to never watch Randle in a Knicks jersey again. I doubt OKC makes the playoffs next year and that pick is likely going to be a lotto pick. If no pick then meh probably not worth it given CP3s age
DENVER NUGGETS
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#12 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:48 pm

In theory, I love the idea of Chris Paul on the Knicks. He fits perfectly alongside RJ and Mitch. He’s the ideal guy to help establish a culture around his and RJ’s competitive spirit. He brings legitimate veteran leadership.

The issue is, we still lack elite talent as part of our rebuild, and the best way to acquire it is through the draft. And next year’s draft class is projected to be talent-heavy.

Chris Paul makes us win games. What we need is to lose games, for one extra year at least.

I prefer we go for Conley. Helps the young guys but doesn’t make us too competitive.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#13 » by mpharris36 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:49 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

I'd do it just for that 2021 pick and to never watch Randle in a Knicks jersey again. I doubt OKC makes the playoffs next year and that pick is likely going to be a lotto pick. If no pick then meh probably not worth it given CP3s age

fair enough.

And yes 100% agreed anything getting randle off this team is a positive...ideally just not looking to add future $$$.

ROSTER

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,004

Post#14 » by god shammgod » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:50 pm

just trade randle for conley straight up and tank again
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,168

Post#15 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:53 pm

I believe we still in AD sweepstakes. I see Ad signing a one year deal then dipping next season. Worldwide Wes and Rich Paul are close. We will definitely get a meetin this summer
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#16 » by mpharris36 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:55 pm

god shammgod wrote:just trade randle for conley straight up and tank again

give me that #23 pick utah need to clear the cap space up :D

ROSTER

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,004

Post#17 » by god shammgod » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:58 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

i'm not greedy. just get a player that's more useful around our kids and get out of that 3 or 4 mill (i forget) for the year after.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#18 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:00 am

robillionaire wrote:Give me a first round pick and also take Randle or I’m good

:nod:
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by mpharris36 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:02 am

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

i'm not greedy. just get a player that's more useful around our kids and get out of that 3 or 4 mill (i forget) for the year after.

I agree but its also our front offices job to extract as much value as possible. My guess at looking at Utah's cap situations and where the cap is going after COVID. They are in trouble.

We could potentially just cut Randle and take on a 16 MM expiring contract for a draft pick. So the leverage is on our end because there are like 1-2 teams that actually can fit Conley into mostly cap space which seems like Utah main goal.

ROSTER

Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#20 » by Oscirus » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:02 am

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:I believe we still in AD sweepstakes. I see Ad signing a one year deal then dipping next season. Worldwide Wes and Rich Paul are close. We will definitely get a meetin this summer

Why does ad leave a contending team with one of the best players in the world for a lottery team hed have to carry? One would figure that he's had enough of that with his previous team
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid

Return to New York Knicks