ImageImageImage

So who said "No!" Jimmy, Elton or Brett

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 925

Re: So who said "No!" Jimmy, Elton or Brett 

Post#41 » by Tony Franciosa » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:13 pm

I don't disagree with JB, but he did just take a contract in Miami - one of the most vapid, showy cities in the country.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#42 » by Kobblehead » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:35 pm

If Jimmy had a problem with Ben living the L.A. lifestyle, it's just another example of him being a hypocrite.

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,636

Post#43 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:24 pm

It was KAT that he had a big problem with because of how management babied him and never really held him accountable. KAT and Ben being friends and Jimmy having a problem with both of them is kind of funny to be honest.
eagereyez wrote:Butler is a hypocrite, but one thing he has going for him is his work ethic. If he claims that someone on the team doesn't care about improving and the Sixers have a star player who hasn't improved in 3 years... well, let's just say where there's smoke there's fire.

Hopefully his comments light a fire under Simmons' ass like they did for KAT and Wiggins.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#44 » by sixers4real » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:26 pm

LloydFree wrote:I don't know why this is even a story on that other blog. Of course Jimmy Butler would have signed a 5 year 190 million dollar contract, IF the 76ers would have offered. I don't get how people who follow this stuff, ever thought the 76ers were going to re-sign both Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris (along with Ben Simmons) to MAX contracts all in the same summer. Who commits that kind of money to a roster that hasn't won anything and is ill-fitting? They knew all along they weren't going to lock themselves into 5 consecutive repeater-Tax years, for the sake of keeping Jimmy Butler.

They saw in January, they weren't going to re-sign Butler, when for weeks, he refused to work within the offense, and take catch-and-shoot-3's. They telegraphed what they had in mind when they obtained Tobias Harris as insurance. They knew all along, that they were going to renounce Butler and Redick (and their capholds), in order to sign someone into capspace. If it wouldn't have been Horford, it would have been Brogdon, if it wasn't Brogdon it would have been Russell...

They knew in January Butler wouldn't be back. They knew in March they were building around Simmons, Embiid and Tobias. They knew in mid-June, they were signing Horford. And the minute they knew Jimmy was interested in Miami, they knew they were going to ask for the same player Miami offered the Timberwolves.

LloydFree, let me tell you something. I was rooting so much for the Sixers 2019 May team to #runitback, but you were the one who was EXTREMELY against singing Jimmy Butler to 5-year Max. I even though that you talked about your own money when it was about paying Jimmy.

You were supportive of Al Horford singing. You were right about Fultz (to some extend).

How do see and feel this team going forward?
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#45 » by rzzzzz » Sat Sep 5, 2020 7:28 pm

happy for Jimmy he got to Miami. hard not to root for them at this point. i'm sure Biid is heartsick that the one chance he had with Jimmy he was banged up and flu bit. i got no idea, but my guess is that someone told Elton that Brett was going to stay, and that beautiful starting line-up had to be busted. he could do worse than hiring Lue and standing pat for the near term.
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#46 » by Dnt hate » Sun Sep 6, 2020 9:39 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't know why this is even a story on that other blog. Of course Jimmy Butler would have signed a 5 year 190 million dollar contract, IF the 76ers would have offered. I don't get how people who follow this stuff, ever thought the 76ers were going to re-sign both Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris (along with Ben Simmons) to MAX contracts all in the same summer. Who commits that kind of money to a roster that hasn't won anything and is ill-fitting? They knew all along they weren't going to lock themselves into 5 consecutive repeater-Tax years, for the sake of keeping Jimmy Butler.

They saw in January, they weren't going to re-sign Butler, when for weeks, he refused to work within the offense, and take catch-and-shoot-3's. They telegraphed what they had in mind when they obtained Tobias Harris as insurance. They knew all along, that they were going to renounce Butler and Redick (and their capholds), in order to sign someone into capspace. If it wouldn't have been Horford, it would have been Brogdon, if it wasn't Brogdon it would have been Russell...

They knew in January Butler wouldn't be back. They knew in March they were building around Simmons, Embiid and Tobias. They knew in mid-June, they were signing Horford. And the minute they knew Jimmy was interested in Miami, they knew they were going to ask for the same player Miami offered the Timberwolves

LloydFree: I like what you wrote. It makes a lot of sense. But what happens if the ball bounces off the rim. The 76ers go into OT against the Raptors and they win and go to the NBA finals? If they win they don't bring Jimmy back? If they lose they don't bring jimmy back and try to win it all?

Harris basically said in an article this summer. His role was minimized with Jimmy on the team. Not enough touches, especially in that last Raptors game. The 76ers gave up a lot to get Harris. Are you just gonna let him walk after you've just make it to the finals?

I thought one of the telling moments this season was in the playoffs when Brett said James was the adult in the room. Right after that Jimmy came out and said my name is not James it's Jimmy. That was a telling moment. It may seem like much. But if you respect someone you don't basically put them on blast to the media. That's a conversation had behind closed doors. Hey coach my name is Jimmy not James, thank you very much.

Jimmy thought he was in the drivers seat. I think both Elton and Brett saw the writing on the wall. The guy is good but in spurts and he is declining. He is going to have to take time away from Ben and Harris to be effective. Let's get a better option.

Like I said, nobody commits to paying that kind of Tax bill, for a roster that hasn't won anything. If they would have won the Championship, they would have adjusted their plans. We're looking at this in hindsight. Before the playoffs, nobody thought the 76ers were going to beat the Raptors and nobody in their right mind thought anybody was beating Golden State.

They had no intention of re-signing Butler, but they couldn't let him totally ruin the season, so Brown placated him by letting him have the ball more. This "closer" BS, evolved from that, and was unintentional, IMO.

What are you talking about many people were picking the sixers to beat the raptors and bucks, it was very close. Your talking to too many delusional raptors fans who were claiming a sweep.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,340

Post#47 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 7, 2020 5:58 am

That post by lloydfree on the first page is a good refresher on why Jimmy was not re-signed.

Jimmy was playing the Robert Covington role on offense until it we need him to be “Jimmy Buckets” and he didn’t like role and demanded to play a bigger role that leads to Ben at the dunker spot.

In my opinion, the best move for this season was to re-sign Jimmy then trade Ben. But it is likely not going to be the best move in the future so we didn’t do that deal.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#48 » by SouthJersey » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:28 pm

Robert Covington can't handle the ball at all. Why would Brett want him filling that role on offense? I think you add it all up, and he changed teams for the reason a lot of people change jobs. More money and to get away from bad management.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 925

Post#49 » by Tony Franciosa » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:16 pm

for me, it wasn't about the numbers for Jimmy in the playoffs, it was his clutch capacity. not what he did, but when he did it. he always seemed to come through when we needed him - whether a key basket or a big stop. can't say we had much of that with last year's roster.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,115

Post#50 » by M2J » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:21 pm

sixers4real wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I don't know why this is even a story on that other blog. Of course Jimmy Butler would have signed a 5 year 190 million dollar contract, IF the 76ers would have offered. I don't get how people who follow this stuff, ever thought the 76ers were going to re-sign both Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris (along with Ben Simmons) to MAX contracts all in the same summer. Who commits that kind of money to a roster that hasn't won anything and is ill-fitting? They knew all along they weren't going to lock themselves into 5 consecutive repeater-Tax years, for the sake of keeping Jimmy Butler.

They knew in January Butler wouldn't be back. They knew in March they were building around Simmons, Embiid and Tobias. They knew in mid-June, they were signing Horford. And the minute they knew Jimmy was interested in Miami, they knew they were going to ask for the same player Miami offered the Timberwolves.

LloydFree, let me tell you something. I was rooting so much for the Sixers 2019 May team to #runitback, but you were the one who was EXTREMELY against singing Jimmy Butler to 5-year Max. I even though that you talked about your own money when it was about paying Jimmy.

You were supportive of Al Horford singing. You were right about Fultz (to some extend).

Funny how so many people from this board were dreading the idea of giving Jimmy 5 years at his age....lol

Elton didn't trade for Jimmy without full intention to re-sign him. Especially after his successful playoff run. But, he knew that was the type of player needed. Jimmy clearly didn't want to be here, and whether he went about that by just asking to be traded to Miami or by passively sabotaging the situation with coach, star player and organization....

This team needs players that show up in clutch situations to either hit shots from the perimeter or make plays from all over. It doesn't necessarily have to be a superstar. Quality coaching can make a big difference with what's currently on this roster. Just running and executing quality plays, while playing great defense is all it takes to close games. You don't have to have hero ball.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#51 » by Eyeamok » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:17 am

M2J wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

Funny how so many people from this board were dreading the idea of giving Jimmy 5 years at his age....lol

Elton didn't trade for Jimmy without full intention to re-sign him. Especially after his successful playoff run. But, he knew that was the type of player needed. Jimmy clearly didn't want to be here, and whether he went about that by just asking to be traded to Miami or by passively sabotaging the situation with coach, star player and organization....

This team needs players that show up in clutch situations to either hit shots from the perimeter or make plays from all over. It doesn't necessarily have to be a superstar. Quality coaching can make a big difference with what's currently on this roster. Just running and executing quality plays, while playing great defense is all it takes to close games. You don't have to have hero ball.

You are right but Miami has a a quality coach a hero and someone willing to take over in the 4th quarter. And the 76ers have?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,115

Post#52 » by M2J » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:35 am

Eyeamok wrote:
M2J wrote:
sixers4real wrote:LloydFree, let me tell you something. I was rooting so much for the Sixers 2019 May team to #runitback, but you were the one who was EXTREMELY against singing Jimmy Butler to 5-year Max. I even though that you talked about your own money when it was about paying Jimmy.

You are right but Miami has a a quality coach a hero and someone willing to take over in the 4th quarter. And the 76ers have?

Ben Simmons who they should consider moving.

Edit:. Better answer is in an of season where they could make infinite moves. We'll see
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,174

Post#53 » by AirP. » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Jimmy Butler isn't wrong about Towns or Simmons.

However, he's also a hypocrite.

How much does HE want a championship?

Despite all the gripes with the guys in Minnesota, he wanted a 5 year max to remain there.

Also, he left a contending team to sign a max with a low-tier playoff team with no chance at competing for a title during the remainder years of his prime.

Jimmy works hard, but he's just as much about the money and just as much about not caring about a championship as the guys he has problems with.

What you and other people are missing in this move to Miami is that Butler was saying he believed at the NBA level, working hard, competing and possibly having to hear some hard truths about your game will win more games then just having talent and he was willing to give up that HUGE 5th year on his contract to do so.

So now, for the next 4 years of Butler's career, he no longer has to worry about coaches/FOs/owners placating to "potential" which he's had to deal with the last few years in Chicago, Minnesota, and in Philly.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Re: So who said 

Post#54 » by eagereyez » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:24 pm

76ciology wrote:That post by lloydfree on the first page is a good refresher on why Jimmy was not re-signed.

Jimmy was playing the Robert Covington role on offense until it we need him to be “Jimmy Buckets” and he didn’t like role and demanded to play a bigger role that leads to Ben at the dunker spot.

In my opinion, the best move for this season was to re-sign Jimmy then trade Ben. But it is likely not going to be the best move in the future so we didn’t do that deal.

Where did Butler say he didn't like his role? In his interview with Redick, it sounded like he was upset that Brown changed their offense in the Raptors series - taking the ball from Simmons and giving it to Butler. He wanted a consistent style of play that they could use through the regular season and the playoffs, but Brown was toeing the line between pretending that Simmons is a PG and winning basketball games.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,340

Re: So who said 

Post#55 » by 76ciology » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:13 am

eagereyez wrote:
76ciology wrote:That post by lloydfree on the first page is a good refresher on why Jimmy was not re-signed.

Where did Butler say he didn't like his role? In his interview with Redick, it sounded like he was upset that Brown changed their offense in the Raptors series - taking the ball from Simmons and giving it to Butler. He wanted a consistent style of play that they could use through the regular season and the playoffs, but Brown was toeing the line between pretending that Simmons is a PG and winning basketball games.

LloydFree wrote:

Yes. One of the events was during the Raps series when Brett realized that Jimmy should be primary ball handler, not Ben.

But it’s started during the “pre-tobias trade”. And “it was never the same again”.

You have to put it all together because no one will throw anyone under the bus. Even JJ had a follow up podcast and tried to fix Brett’s reputation after this.

Jimmy wanted pick and rolls. Who do you think will have less role on PnRs? Biid?

We saw what happened. Jimmy run PnR with Biid. Where was Ben? He was under the dunker spot.

Do some deduction. Would Ben want to run PnR? Can he run the PnR? If he wants the PnR, Jimmy could tell Brett to run more PnR because Ben would love some PnR. But he said TJ wanted PnRs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#56 » by sixers4real » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Jimmy turned only 31 today, while Al Horford turned 304 this June
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers