ImageImage

Bud Replacement Candidates

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Updated List (Donovan, Craig, Internal added)

Becky Hammon (SAS asst)
No votes
Kenny Atkinson
6%
Mike D'Antoni
9%
Billy Donovan
11%
Jerry Stackhouse
11%
Chris Finch (NOP asst)
6%
Dan Craig (MIA asst)
No votes
Internal Promotion (Darvin Ham or Charles Lee)
6%
Retain Bud & Pray He Improves (or brings in someone to run the offense)
49%
Other (Specify, lots of worthy candidates)
3%

Total votes: 35

leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Re: Bud Replacement Candidates 

Post#141 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:17 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Bud has developed a ton of players. He made Kyle **** Korver, Jeff Teague and Paul Millsap into All-Stars. Development is not a weakness.

Agreed on all of those HAWKS players, but who has he developed on the Bucks? Don't get me wrong, I don't love Horst's drafting, but Bud and his staff haven't exactly coached any of those young guys up, either.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#142 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:02 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Bud has developed a ton of players. He made Kyle **** Korver, Jeff Teague and Paul Millsap into All-Stars. Development is not a weakness.

Agreed on all of those HAWKS players, but who has he developed on the Bucks? Don't get me wrong, I don't love Horst's drafting, but Bud and his staff haven't exactly coached any of those young guys up, either.

I’d argue Bud has been instrumental in the development of Giannis becoming a 2x MVP, Middleton becoming a 2x all star (resulting in a huge contract), Blesoe and Lopez morphing into all defensive guys (and awarded new contracts) and Donte’s growth from years 1-2. Brogdon got better and made a ton of money after a year with Bud. Players pay attention to which coaches get guys paid and what other players have to say about playing for them. Bud is golden on those fronts, which is a real asset for a market like Milwaukee.

There’s only so much “developing“ you can do with guys whose next contracts will be in Italy.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#143 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:15 pm

Seeing Brett Brown listed in the poll makes me physically ill.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,416

Post#144 » by th87 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:21 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:

I’d argue Bud has been instrumental in the development of Giannis becoming a 2x MVP, Middleton becoming a 2x all star (resulting in a huge contract), Blesoe and Lopez morphing into all defensive guys (and awarded new contracts) and Donte’s growth from years 1-2. Brogdon got better and made a ton of money after a year with Bud. Players pay attention to which coaches get guys paid and what other players have to say about playing for them. Bud is golden on those fronts, which is a real asset for a market like Milwaukee.

There’s only so much “developing“ you can do with guys whose next contracts will be in Italy.

Was it developing those players, or giving them a system that would maximize their regular season numbers?

Bud has given us regular season juggernaut status, and for that, I will forever be grateful. We now know what we need to do to attain HCA in the playoffs.

Now it's onto phase 2 - how to win in the playoffs when teams gameplan for you. Bud has shown himself to be grossly unprepared in that regard *throughout the entirety of his coaching career*, so either he needs to be demoted to an offensive strategist of sorts and allow someone else to handle the tactician stuff game-by-game, or move in a different direction.

To retain him would be the popular and fake definition of insanity.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#145 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:29 pm

Not going to argue the playoff stuff, I just don’t trust Lasry/Edens/Horst to go find the magical coach who’s going to take us over the top. Attempting to do so right now would unravel too much positive and do more harm than good imo. One caveat is if they feel strongly that next coach is already on the staff, in which case go for it. We just can’t have Woj tweeting about Jeff Van Gundy being in town for an interview or Nate McMillan “gaining traction.”
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#146 » by machu46 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:33 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Not going to argue the playoff stuff, I just don’t trust Lasry/Edens/Horst to go find the magical coach who’s going to take us over the top. Attempting to do so right now would unravel too much positive and do more harm than good imo. One caveat is if they feel strongly that next coach is already on the staff, in which case go for it. We just can’t have Woj tweeting about Jeff Van Gundy being in town for an interview or Nate McMillan “gaining traction.”

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm at as well.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#147 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 10:20 pm

BigO wrote:
Excellent post until you said that the Bucks botched every move from 2014-2018, conveniently picking 2014 and not 2013. You just can't make a case against management by ignoring drafting Giannis and making the trade for Middleton in 2013.

Nothing that has happened the last two years was possible without Giannis and Middleton. So it's a mixed bag.

The Giannis/Middleton moves were made about a week apart in the summer of 2013 by the Hammond/Kohl regime. They sort of stumbled into them, because other than those two moves, there was little personnel genius shown by Kohl or Hammond (either here or now with Hammond in Orlando).

2014 is when the new owners took over and brought in Jason Kidd. That new regime made an absolute mess of things. It didn't really get corrected until Wes Edens over-ruled Lasry by bringing in Horst and later Bud.

The moves the Bud/Horst team made were all to fit Bud's system. And those guys did one heck of a job, essentially building two 60-win teams. Bucks ownership needs to tread lightly here IMO, because any changes could bring about a much worse outcome.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,110

Post#148 » by giannis and 1 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:37 am

The best option imo would be to bring back bud BUT acquire cp3, and let him have a huge amount of input on how the offense is run, along with what type of players we need to add/subtract to make get the most out of what we have.
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#149 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:05 am

Add Billy Donovan to the list of candidates.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,221

Post#150 » by Matches Malone » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:10 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Add Billy Donovan to the list of candidates.

I'll take him in a heartbeat. Bring Paul with him.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
awd4cy
Analyst
And1: 1,882

Post#151 » by awd4cy » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:17 am

Yep I’d be happy with Donovan.
wallus
Rookie
And1: 1,188

Post#152 » by wallus » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:19 am

Open up the checkbook and get Jay Wright.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#153 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:12 am

Friends with some Thunder diehards who feel tonight the way we felt when Kidd was fired. Absolutely not to Billy Donovan.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#154 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:23 am

I think my ideal (unlikely) scenario is the Bucks fire Horst, give Budenholzer full control over all basketball operations and name Charles Lee head coach. Budenholzer fully focused on solely being a GM could be really good. Infrastructure stays intact.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 678

Post#155 » by ejn1214 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:32 am

giannis and 1 wrote:The best option imo would be to bring back bud BUT acquire cp3, and let him have a huge amount of input on how the offense is run, along with what type of players we need to add/subtract to make get the most out of what we have.

I feel like cp3 might bring some coaching intangibles that actually make that work. I have no idea how an nba locker room works but maybe he can make bud make changes in the playoffs.
BJ Sandered
Starter
And1: 1,791

Post#156 » by BJ Sandered » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:30 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:I think my ideal (unlikely) scenario is the Bucks fire Horst, give Budenholzer full control over all basketball operations and name Charles Lee head coach. Budenholzer fully focused on solely being a GM could be really good. Infrastructure stays intact.

That's an interesting idea.
Baddy Chuck wrote:Some heroes wear headbands instead of capes.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#157 » by Badgerlander » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:14 am

I can’t stand Billy Donovan
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,006

Post#158 » by BuckFan25226 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:05 pm

JVG and SVG as Co-head coaches. The post game pressers alone will make this worth it.

Becky Hammond can be lead assistant

Get it done.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,895

Post#159 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:57 pm

Obviously, the most important thing is resigning Giannis. If that means retaining Bud, or hiring a Chimpanzee to replace him, you do whatever needs to be done to resign Giannis. The Bucks absolutely cannot do anything to hurt your chances with Giannis. Period. The coach can be upgraded later.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#160 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:58 pm

BuckFan25226 wrote:JVG and SVG as Co-head coaches. The post game pressers alone will make this worth it.

Becky Hammond can be lead assistant

Get it done.

Sign me up for this option.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks