Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Re: Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#681 » by eyeatoma » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:26 am

Arsenal wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like Alex Rucker just caught a bullet. Good riddance to Colangelo trash!!!
Cohen needs to go too!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#682 » by Arsenal » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:28 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like Alex Rucker just caught a bullet. Good riddance to Colangelo trash!!!
Cohen needs to go too!

Aside from Ned Cohen, what other league office rejects / Colangelo lackeys are still slithering around?

Is he the last one?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#683 » by eyeatoma » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:30 am

No idea but I'd definitely get rid of our shooting coach and medical staff.

ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#684 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:14 am

Watching Butler lead Miami to the conference finals should spell death for any remaining Colangelo remnants still pulling the levers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#685 » by Sixersftw » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:32 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Watching Butler lead Miami to the conference finals should spell death for any remaining Colangelo remnants still pulling the levers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Tatum leading the Celtics, arming the Clippers with a cache of assets from a terrible Tobias trade which also kept you from acquiring someone like PG, going "star hunting" with Lebron and coming up absolutely empty.

The soon to be final four of the NBA is absolutely littered with this front office's failures and mistakes. They followed up an almost impossible level of asset accumulation with an almost equally improbably squandering of those assets.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,795

Post#686 » by Negrodamus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:10 am

Nothing to add, but I feel like this is a good tweet:

Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#687 » by 76ciology » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 am

Negrodamus wrote:Nothing to add, but I feel like this is a good tweet:

Read on Twitter

First off, you can win by playing big or small. It’s Just a style of play and it’s really more of how you play your cards.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, I also thought that playing small was the way to go.

But watching our old clips and the Rox vs Lakers are good cases for the bully ball vs small ball.

Teams like the Lakers can play Bron-Morris frontcourt and they’d still be bigger than the Rox frontcourt. But if the Lakers have to face a similar sized frontcourt like the Bucks or the Raps, I’d expect them to revert back of McGee-AD. They’ll try to win the game by trying to get a wide margin in number of possessions their way and trying to hunt for a high volume of high percentage shots.

It’s not black and white. Before when teams play big, you can play small or the other way around. Nowadays teams play small, Rox play micro ball. When teams play big, Lakers, Raptors, Bucks and Sixers went to bigger than big line-ups.

An example of this was the G7 of our Raps series. Nurse outplayed Brett by going extra big. By putting Ibaka-Siakam-Gasol, we can’t match that size while we also don’t have enough talent to win by playing small given how much talented they are at the guard and wing positions (Lowry and Kawhi). This ended up with Raps getting 24 more possessions than us.

The league is designed for a stage for a battle between stars. Like those vintage AI vs VC games or the recent Mitchell vs Murray games. The league wants a showdown of Harden vs LeBron.

Teams play small would empower Harden to be better than they are, but this comes with a price. If they play small, they would also empower AD or Bron to be better than they are.

Teams just have to play our cards right.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#688 » by 76ciology » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:16 am

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Nothing to add, but I feel like this is a good tweet:

Read on Twitter

First off, you can win by playing big or small. It’s Just a style of play and it’s really more of how you play your cards.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, I also thought that playing small was the way to go.

But watching our old clips and the Rox vs Lakers are good cases for the bully ball vs small ball.

Teams like the Lakers can play Bron-Morris frontcourt and they’d still be bigger than the Rox frontcourt. But if the Lakers have to face a similar sized frontcourt like the Bucks or the Raps, I’d expect them to revert back of McGee-AD. They’ll try to win the game by trying to get a wide margin in number of possessions their way and trying to hunt for a high volume of high percentage shots.

It’s not black and white. Before when teams play big, you can play small or the other way around. Nowadays teams play small, Rox play micro ball. When teams play big, Lakers, Raptors, Bucks and Sixers went to bigger than big line-ups.

An example of this was the G7 of our Raps series. Nurse outplayed Brett by going extra big. By putting Ibaka-Siakam-Gasol, we can’t match that size while we also don’t have enough talent to win by playing small given how much talented they are at the guard and wing positions (Lowry and Kawhi). This ended up with Raps getting 24 more possessions than us.

The league is designed for a stage for a battle between stars. Like those vintage AI vs VC games or the recent Mitchell vs Murray games. The league wants a showdown of Harden vs LeBron.

Teams play small would empower Harden to be better than they are, but this comes with a price. If they play small, they would also empower AD or Bron to be better than they are.

Teams just have to play our cards right.

With that said for the Sixers..

It’s really more on the match-up on what 5 man unit to play.

If it’s the Celtics or the Rox, you can just play Ben at PF with Biid at C. You already are bigger than any kind of line-ups both opponents can play.

But if you are against the Bucks, Raptors and the Lakers, you may have to play more Al-Biid frontcourt (not saying you start or play both guys all the time).

Then you try to win by one of the either or both..
1.) have the edge in number possessions
2.) hunt a high volume of high % shots
^
- crash the ORebs
- take care of the ball
- rim protection
- transition baskets off deflections
- get a lot of drives, dunks or shots at the rim (watch G2&g3 of Lakers)

Right tool for the right job for the right way.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#689 » by Monix » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:59 pm

my 2 cents:

You need to hire a coach 1st because you need to understand the vision for how they want to use Simmons and Embiid. Hire the coach based on how you want to play and let that vision guide the roster tweaks.

You do what you need to do to move 1 of Horford or Harris for another team's undesirable guard contract - using Richardson and/or the OKC 1st is your likely path. I don't think that hurts too much b/c it's unlikely they re-sign RIchardson and my opinion of the draft is that the talent level at 21 isn't appreciably different than it is at #34 & # 36. Also, the cost of the #21 salary-wise is about the same as 2 4-year 2nd round contracts - could be 2 for 1 when it comes to luxury tax concerns. You make this deal either based on fit in the new coaches plans or quality of return relative to cost. I would be hesitant to use Thybulle in this trade unless I really liked the return.

My top priority is to add ballhandling - both in the trade and I would probably draft 2 PGs in the 2nd round, not necessarily at 34 & 36 but I think there will be interesting guys at 49 or even 58. I think that is where the depth of this crappy draft is (2nd round PGs) - Winston, Dotson, Pritchard, Flynn, Riller, Hagans, Quickley, Mays etc. Milton has shown he cannot handle significant ballhandling responsibility.

You cannot fix it all at once, but I think this is the first step.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#690 » by kriss73 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Shouldn't be an issue to pay a little bit of a luxory tax
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
76ciology
RealGM

Post#691 » by 76ciology » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm

kriss73 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Did Al Horford made the list?
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#692 » by davesilver » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:40 pm

76ciology wrote:
kriss73 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thank you for the laugh lol
kriss73
Analyst

Post#693 » by kriss73 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 pm

76ciology wrote:
kriss73 wrote:
Read on Twitter

No, but both Harris' made it!
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
kriss73
Analyst

Post#694 » by kriss73 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:44 am

The premise here is to find a coach and some quality help for Brand in the FO.

After that a few axioms to start:

1. Ben and Joel stay
2. Harris contract is un-tradable
3. It's a 1 or 2 years plan before being forced to split JoJo and Ben

Our "assets" are (in no particular order)

- JRich, 1 yr cheap contract.
- Thybulle, rookie contract, potential good 3 & D
- Milton, cheap contract, still developing
- Picks # 21, # 34 and # 36 in the 2020 draft
- Future picks
- Scott's 5M expiring contract
- Z.Smith, rookie contract, ex lottery
- MLE

Not great, Bob.

With this "war chest" (LOL) we have to:

1. Find a new home for Al (I think his agent will help us)
2. Find a secondary ball-handler who can create from dribble.
3. One or two shooters or 3&D
4. Strengthen the bench

I think the key is how much we’re going to spend in term of assets to dump Al.
If we can convert his contract in point 2 or 3 without give too much, it will be an huge win.
Then we need to draft well with # 21 or # 34 or # 36 (I suppose some of these picks will go away with the Al 's dumping process) and hope Ben e JoJo is going to elevating their game.

Lastly, I'd love to find a rotational player into the shell of Zahire.
I think we could be forced to use a future first round pick, sigh.

I'm not saying we're suddenly erasing last summer mistakes and becoming a contender, but we could give us another chance to go deep in the post season in the next years.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#695 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:48 pm

We need high level leadership and guard play here. We need a faster more elusive team that can play on and off ball as well high level fast break players.

Paul for Tobias and filler. Right Micic.

Jrue and Redick for JRich, Horford, OKC pick and 76ers 2020 1st.

Paul/ Shake
Jrue / Redick/ Zhaire
Thybulle/ Korkmaz /
Simmons/ Scott
Embiid/ __pelle ___
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#696 » by Arsenal » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:18 pm

kriss73 wrote:
Read on Twitter

People don't get that rich by wasting money just because they have it.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#697 » by Arsenal » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:We need high level leadership and guard play here. We need a faster more elusive team that can play on and off ball as well high level fast break players.

Paul for Tobias and filler. Right Micic.

Jrue and Redick for JRich, Horford, OKC pick and 76ers 2020 1st.

Paul/ Shake
Jrue / Redick/ Zhaire
Thybulle/ Korkmaz /
Simmons/ Scott
Embiid/ __pelle ___

We pissed away our 2020 1st as part of a package to get $35M/yr superstar Tobias Harris.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#698 » by zimpy27 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:33 am

Yes, mistakes were made.

But a team with Harris, Simmons, Embiid was a whisker away from a championship with a bench that was worse than Milton, Burks, Thybulle, Scott.

Don't be distracted by other things, the 76ers should be looking to get back to a team like last season. Harris is a good piece that isn't worth $30m but he was part of the successful team in 2019.

Use J-Rich and Horford to get pieces equivalent to Jimmy and Redick in the roles they played. You aren't going to get a player as good Jimmy Butler with these pieces but you just have to fulfil the role. I believe that role was a 2-way player that can score in the half-court. CP3 is equivalent and may actually be a better fit. Furthermore, Seth Curry is a Redick equivalent but younger and more durable.

The goal should be this through a 3-way trade. Or it should be another trade that gets you something similar.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#699 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:52 am

zimpy27 wrote:Yes, mistakes were made.

But a team with Harris, Simmons, Embiid was a whisker away from a championship with a bench that was worse than Milton, Burks, Thybulle, Scott.

Don't be distracted by other things, the 76ers should be looking to get back to a team like last season. Harris is a good piece that isn't worth $30m but he was part of the successful team in 2019.

Use J-Rich and Horford to get pieces equivalent to Jimmy and Redick in the roles they played. You aren't going to get a player as good Jimmy Butler with these pieces but you just have to fulfil the role. I believe that role was a 2-way player that can score in the half-court. CP3 is equivalent and may actually be a better fit. Furthermore, Seth Curry is a Redick equivalent but younger and more durable.

The goal should be this through a 3-way trade. Or it should be another trade that gets you something similar.

What about holiday and Redick for Horford, Jrich and the 21st pick.
That would definitely get us to the eastern conference finals.
All we gotta do is convince New Orleans lol
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#700 » by zimpy27 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:26 am

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Yes, mistakes were made.

What about holiday and Redick for Horford, Jrich and the 21st pick.
That would definitely get us to the eastern conference finals.
All we gotta do is convince New Orleans lol

It would be good but not as good as CP3 and Curry. I would try for both or others that make sense
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Philadelphia 76ers