ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#2361 » by ShayDee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:35 am

Only 5 people, shows how low his IQ is and he just didn't care much than to jack up shots. He even admitted it no?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#2362 » by Onus » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 am

Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#2363 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:38 am

Onus wrote:I still don’t get how it’s possible for Edwards to be under 500 for both hs and aau

I saw the video on Edwards made by the same guy who made the Deni video above.

https://youtu.be/9h9Hr9GqyVo

He says the GA was absolutely terrible so Edwards tried to pass but in most situations, he tried to create by himself. So he thinks if he's willing to play within himself, he could be very effective.

OTOH, he said GA had no spacing at all, and it would be a different story in the NBA where he could use his insane first step to attack the rim. He compared him a bit to Donovan Mitchell but it made me think of Trae Young a bit, that the other players on the college team were so poor that defenses just loaded up on Edwards.

He also shows examples where he locks down on defense when his team needed to, including coming for some weak side blocks.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#2364 » by azwfan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:53 am

ShayDee wrote:If we draft someone that cannot shoot or create, We are not winning anything. Deni, Ball and Edwards are too inconsistent, although I would sort of trust Edwards ahead of those 3. I still want to get a knock down shooter like Herro/Duncan Robinson/Shamet. We need one of those on this team.

We all want shooters and shot creators but gdmn we need f’n defenders.

Bogut, Iguodala, Klay, Green, and to a lessor extent Livingston in 2014-15

Green and Klay in 2020-21
We need more high level defenders if we want to compete. Shooting is not enough.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#2365 » by ShayDee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:01 am

azwfan wrote:
ShayDee wrote:If we draft someone that cannot shoot or create, We are not winning anything. Deni, Ball and Edwards are too inconsistent, although I would sort of trust Edwards ahead of those 3. I still want to get a knock down shooter like Herro/Duncan Robinson/Shamet. We need one of those on this team.

We need more high level defenders if we want to compete. Shooting is not enough.

Defenders with no offensive game would have been the result of the Nuggets/Clippers game if nuggets lost. You just cannot defend against the prime offensive players in this league, You can only slow them down. So what happens if they score anyways? How are we going to score points back? Anyone we draft from now on has to be able to put the ball in the basket at a consistent level.

Whether it's midrange, 3point shooting, or excellent ball handling with size (like Luka in this case). Wiseman falls in the midrange category btw. We can use the MLE, TPE and mins to get defenders. The draft picks should be for offensively skilled players that are not negatives on defense
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#2366 » by Mav_Carter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:11 am

Edwards is the best SG prospect since MJ...
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#2367 » by Onus » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:14 am

wco81 wrote:
Onus wrote:I still don’t get how it’s possible for Edwards to be under 500 for both hs and aau

He says the GA was absolutely terrible so Edwards tried to pass but in most situations, he tried to create by himself. So he thinks if he's willing to play within himself, he could be very effective.

OTOH, he said GA had no spacing at all, and it would be a different story in the NBA where he could use his insane first step to attack the rim. He compared him a bit to Donovan Mitchell but it made me think of Trae Young a bit, that the other players on the college team were so poor that defenses just loaded up on Edwards.

He also shows examples where he locks down on defense when his team needed to, including coming for some weak side blocks.

That’s the thing you can see the tools and contextualize why the effort and shooting percentages are low, but for his hs team to not be .500, when hs is so bad and he’s a supposed nba all star type prospect. That’s just wild. And then aau when you can pick your team and that team is below .500 as well.

Like I can see the tools but he’s never learned what it takes to win at any level that’s crazy especially when you can dominate hs with a single player.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#2368 » by Mav_Carter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:16 am

KD's UT team got knocked out of the first round by USC...Embiid and Kansas got bounced by Stanford...college hoops don't mean anything...
azwfan
RealGM

Post#2369 » by azwfan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:29 am

ShayDee wrote:
azwfan wrote:

Defenders with no offensive game would have been the result of the Nuggets/Clippers game if nuggets lost. You just cannot defend against the prime offensive players in this league, You can only slow them down. So what happens if they score anyways? How are we going to score points back? Anyone we draft from now on has to be able to put the ball in the basket at a consistent level.

Whether it's midrange, 3point shooting, or excellent ball handling with size (like Luka in this case). Wiseman falls in the midrange category btw. We can use the MLE, TPE and mins to get defenders. The draft picks should be for offensively skilled players that are not negatives on defense

Would rather have great defenders that are not negatives offensively - if its that easy.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#2370 » by ShayDee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:32 am

azwfan wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
azwfan wrote:We all want shooters and shot creators but gdmn we need f’n defenders.

Would rather have great defenders that are not negatives offensively - if its that easy.

I'm referring to. Don't draft guys like Okongwu, Precious, Okoro, but guys like Saddiq Bey, Vassel, Nesmith, Jahm'ius Ramsey, Bane, Jalen Smith, Oturu. They are all good at defense and skilled offensively
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#2371 » by whatisacenter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:44 am

wco81 wrote:

I am warming up to him more and more...if we keep the pick I hope we can convince some team that we want Wiseman and they trade up to 1 with Minny to nab him leaving us Edwards. His shooting % was terrible but I am going to chalk that up to poor shot selection and opposing defenses game planning for him. His mechanics look good, his handle and footwork is pretty great and his FT% makes me believe he can be more efficient. His wingspan for his height mixed with his strong body will make him a plus defender on the perimeter. Lets get him with our coaching staff and make him a player.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#2372 » by B-King » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:12 am

Edwards has better star potential and is more valuable as trade bait. Plus it makes it less likely any team trading the Dubs for him would ask for Klay in the deal.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#2373 » by ShayDee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:33 pm

I think the wolves are choosing between Ball and Edwards. But I think they will lean towards Ball in the end for some reason. Maybe they see Wiggins in Edwards. Man it might be between Wiseman and Edwards for us. I hope some sort of workouts and interviews sway the FO to pick the right guy that benefits us more than trying to jeopardize the team and a roster spot and trying to plan for another team
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#2374 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:59 pm

Check it out draft dorks! I mean, you gotta be borderline obsessive about the draft to enjoy this video(I am) but here it is.

Behold, the Warriors soon to be backup SF and "Kawhi" stopper off the bench: Patrick Williams.

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2375 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:54 pm

Nice compact stroke and release.

Not as big as I thought he'd be.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#2376 » by jason bourne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:32 am

Somehow a workout video doesn't impress me unless it's a team draft workout. There the prospect will be going up against NBA players.

The closest guy in the draft who has played against pros is LaMelo. He would be the closest American to Luka's career.

“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Re: 2020 Draft Threa 

Post#2377 » by Little Digger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:13 am

There’s some really pathetic American basketball players in the top 20 of this draft..

Edwards
Cole Anthony
LaMelo ( yes I’m wishy washy)
Obi Wan Kanobi
Precious
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#2378 » by Little Digger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:14 am

Little Digger wrote:There’s some really pathetic American basketball players in the top 20 of this draft..

Edwards
Cole Anthony
Obi Wan Kanobi
Precious

I like the International players better
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2379 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:26 am

What exactly is your track record again?
azwfan
RealGM

Post#2380 » by azwfan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 am

Little Digger wrote:There’s some really pathetic American basketball players in the top 20 of this draft..

Edwards
Cole Anthony
Obi Wan Kanobi
Precious

I seem to recall Mully really liking Precious due to knowing he had pro level work ethic at an early age (want to say it was 13, but could be off on exact age). At any rate, if we had a late lottery pick I wouldnt mind “My” Precious helping us to acquire a ring.

Can't get enough? Thread continues here

Return to Golden State Warriors