ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#761 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:34 pm

Yeah I can’t stress enough how great this series is for Tatum going forward. After the way the Raps and Nurse have schemed to take him out of the games, facing any other defense will be like throwing a regular baseball after throwing a tennis ball filled with pennies.

He is definitely struggling finishing, and is cold from 3, but he has worked his ass off on both sides of the ball. Even with all the struggles, for the series he’s averaging 24/10/5 with a 56% TS, against the best, and most physical defense in the league. Four turnovers a game are way too much, but at least it’s a less than his assists lol. And it’s not empty numbers that aren’t influencing the game, he has a +5.1 net rating in the series. The few posters saying he isn’t a max player after last night are embarrassing.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#762 » by Floody100 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:22 am

I think I can only name a handful of players at Tatum’s age who have been treated with the same attention as him. Regardless of how far we make it this post season this is fantastic for Tatum’s development.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#763 » by Floody100 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:10 am

S
U
P
E
R
S
T
A
R
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#764 » by sam_I_am » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:16 am

Tatum played at a higher level tonight than I’ve ever seen. He is starting to see the floor and showing he can make killer passes if you take away his shot.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#765 » by themoneyteam2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Emerging superstar.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#766 » by themoneyteam2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:37 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#767 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:46 am

He’s going to be a top 5 player sooner than later.

I’m like a broken record.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#768 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:46 am

Tatum is really improving his play-making/passing.. still misses too many layups and needs to stop doing fadeaways on smaller players..

BUT future MVP is within reason easy..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#769 » by 3D Chess » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:48 am

Kawhi with a freakier 3 ball.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#770 » by SMTBSI » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am

Tatum's not fully there yet. We all know there are things to clean up still. Things to add.

But he's also still only 22. Imagine where he could be in three long years, at the ripe old age of 25.

Everything's in front of him. His ceiling is whatever he wills it to be.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#771 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:18 am

playa-hater wrote:Tatum is really improving his play-making/passing.. still misses too many layups and needs to stop doing fadeaways on smaller players..

BUT future MVP is within reason easy..

Agreed.

I'd add that he should stop dribbling the ball off his foot.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#772 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:46 am

Read on Twitter

Can't believe he's only 19.

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#773 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:54 am

celticfan42487 wrote:Great very fast breakdown on Tatum's season here and the changes including in the bubble and playoffs.

Even mentions some of his obvious weaknesses that would get him called not a real fan by half the posters on this board if it's ever dared to be said.

Overall a very uplifting and enjoyable video about Tatum's ceiling!

Yeah this is great. Interesting about him maybe never being elite at the rim though. He seems to think Tatum is a fringe top 10 player.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#774 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Great very fast breakdown on Tatum's season here and the changes including in the bubble and playoffs.

Even mentions some of his obvious weaknesses that would get him called not a real fan by half the posters on this board if it's ever dared to be said.

Yeah this is great. Interesting about him maybe never being elite at the rim though. He seems to think Tatum is a fringe top 10 player.

That lines up with what we see on the court though. That's that lack of athleticism that holds him back from getting to that Greek Freak Lebron Wade kind of drives.

Ideally, he'll learn to draw fouls in a Harden kind of way to do it the hard way.

edit: or like a Curry or something if he can add a primetime floater into his drive game then that will be a counter where the defender will either have to step up and then he can use evasion moves to get the finish or foul. Or hit the floater. That would be the counter to his lack of athletic dominance.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#775 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:15 am

The Comedian wrote:Yeah I can’t stress enough how great this series is for Tatum going forward. After the way the Raps and Nurse have schemed to take him out of the games, facing any other defense will be like throwing a regular baseball after throwing a tennis ball filled with pennies.

He is definitely struggling finishing, and is cold from 3, but he has worked his ass off on both sides of the ball. Even with all the struggles, for the series he’s averaging 24/10/5 with a 56% TS, against the best, and most physical defense in the league. Four turnovers a game are way too much, but at least it’s a less than his assists lol. And it’s not empty numbers that aren’t influencing the game, he has a +5.1 net rating in the series. The few posters saying he isn’t a max player after last night are embarrassing.

Well one thing he didn't see in this series is a great defender who will get the same star calls he gets while defending him.

That's something Butler will have. It's also something the MVPs of the league have in a LeBron, Kawhi, Greek Freak. It's also something he'll find with Paul George.

He got a lot of extremely soft fouls all series, not sure if that stays the same when it's an established all-star as opposed to whomever it was on one of these given plays. Not sure if it's just how they're going to call it for this playoffs or if they eventually revert back to not giving soft fouls like it's the regular season like playoffs of previous seasons.

So there is something he hasn't seen yet in this new role. If we do well in the next series he'll see it though. Not sure what the correct call in that situation is because for the Heat he can just call a Pick and Roll. Against an LA team if he does that just means he's being switched onto a Paul George or if he drives he'll be meeting an AD at the rim.
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#776 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:58 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

That lines up with what we see on the court though. That's that lack of athleticism that holds him back from getting to that Greek Freak Lebron Wade kind of drives.

Ideally, he'll learn to draw fouls in a Harden kind of way to do it the hard way.

edit: or like a Curry or something if he can add a primetime floater into his drive game then that will be a counter where the defender will either have to step up and then he can use evasion moves to get the finish or foul. Or hit the floater. That would be the counter to his lack of athletic dominance.
I just think Tatum being solid at the rim can do so much for his game. And I feel like if you can't ever get that figured out, he's really leaving points on the board. He's so long, and as the video explains he has such a quick first step for his size. He may not ever be an elite finisher, but I don't see any reason why he can't be a really good finisher opposed to average or good.

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#777 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:13 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

Good video. Best part is the discussion of his passing.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#778 » by 3D Chess » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:17 pm

How bout that floater he made from a step inside the three point line?
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#779 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:33 pm

3D Chess wrote:How bout that floater he made from a step inside the three point line?
That was nuts.

Lucky he made it. He had another possession like that, he thought he was fouled.

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#780 » by sam_I_am » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:40 pm

When Larry Bird was a 23 yo rookie he was really good. He got better every year until his first MVP in year 5. Tatum is only 22 right now. Not saying he will or won’t be as good as Larry but he has been to 2 ECFs in 3 years .... and he is only 22! I think he will become a much better finisher once he fills out his frame more completely and like most NBA players will improve his 3pt%, free throw% and defense with experience too.

What is most surprising is the speed with which he has improved his vision and passing out of double teams. I wasn’t expecting that for another year or two.

Return to Boston Celtics