Image ImageImage Image

New Head Coach Mega Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

rmlsr
Freshman
And1: 32

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#601 » by rmlsr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
rmlsr wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:As each day passes I feel more and more they are waiting on Unseld Jr, which I am more than okay with. I don’t see why Billy Donovan would come here so other than him my top 3 have been Ime, Wes and Vanterpool.

I believe AK is waiting on Unseld Jr or Craig. I’m thinking if Donovan was gonna land here it would have happened already.

Why? It's not like Donovan is in a rush to find a job.

Maybe Donovan not but I it my opinion that he should have an idea of where he wants to go it’s about figuring out the money.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#602 » by Jeffster81 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:58 pm

rmlsr wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:
rmlsr wrote:

I believe AK is waiting on Unseld Jr or Craig. I’m thinking if Donovan was gonna land here it would have happened already.

Why? It's not like Donovan is in a rush to find a job.

Maybe Donovan not but I it my opinion that he should have an idea of where he wants to go it’s about figuring out the money.

As much as I am a fan of Donovan, I do agree if AK wanted him, Donovan probably would be the Bulls HC. I think Donovan either ends up in Houston if the Rockets decide to move on from D'Antoni or Philadelphia. I'm just saying I doubt Donovan is in a rush for a job. I could see a scenario in which Donovan might take a year off and recharge his batteries.
bennjuiced34
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,009

Post#603 » by bennjuiced34 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:27 pm

More I think about it, Donovan and the Bulls don't make sense as a match. He leaves a likely young, rebuilding OKC squad for...another young, rebuilding team? Different assets/roster stages but still.

Bulls aren't ready to win now and probably won't be until at the earliest 2021 if, and it's a big unlikely if, they can land a marquee free agent.

So Donovan trades in one rebuild for another? Albeit the Bulls are a completely different market/opportunity so maybe that's the hook for his interest here?

Idk. This is probably wasted breath and Donovan will be the next Bulls coach anyway.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#604 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:As much as I am a fan of Donovan, I do agree if AK wanted him, Donovan probably would be the Bulls HC.

Donovan will choose his next job based on money / opportunity. The Bulls historically aren't beating anyone in money when it comes to HCs and our opportunity isn't super enticing. Hard for me to see Donovan coming here regardless of what AK wants unless we broke the bank for him, and I have a hard time seeing the Bulls do that.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,239

Post#605 » by kodo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 pm

Coaching vacancy rumors:

PHILLY: Tyronn Lue
INDY: Billups, Becky, Vaughn
PELS: Lue, Kidd, Atkinson

Billy Donovan was a recent announcement so I don't think he's factored in yet. But I doubt he goes to Philly all rumors point to Lue being already decided, perhaps even before they fired Brown. The other mitigating factor with Donovan is that he'll be asking for a lot of money, the reason he didn't stay with OKC is that they didn't offer him enough years, and he already makes a very high salary for a coach, $6M per year. Billy also has a backup plan in that he can jump back into college coaching easily, although that's not his preference. But top college coaches can have bigger contracts than NBA coaches, and a lot more respect/power.
rmlsr
Freshman

Post#606 » by rmlsr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:33 pm

kodo wrote:Coaching vacancy rumors:

PHILLY: Tyronn Lue
INDY: Billups, Becky, Vaughn
PELS: Lue, Kidd, Atkinson

Billy Donovan was a recent announcement so I don't think he's factored in yet. But I doubt he goes to Philly all rumors point to Lue being already decided, perhaps even before they fired Brown. The other mitigating factor with Donovan is that he'll be asking for a lot of money, the reason he didn't stay with OKC is that they didn't offer him enough years, and he already makes a very high salary for a coach, $6M per year. Billy also has a backup plan in that he can jump back into college coaching easily, although that's not his preference. But top college coaches can have bigger contracts than NBA coaches, and a lot more respect/power.

Well the national college sports writers who claim to have spoken with him say Donovan prefer not to return to college b-ball for what it’s worth.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#607 » by transplant » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:14 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:As much as I am a fan of Donovan, I do agree if AK wanted him, Donovan probably would be the Bulls HC.

Donovan will choose his next job based on money / opportunity. The Bulls historically aren't beating anyone in money when it comes to HCs and our opportunity isn't super enticing. Hard for me to see Donovan coming here regardless of what AK wants unless we broke the bank for him, and I have a hard time seeing the Bulls do that.

So you think Donovan may be a good choice, but the Bulls won't "buck up?"
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
transplant
RealGM

Post#608 » by transplant » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:16 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:I think most fans like Hinrich

I don't know anyone that would be excited about him being head coach, but who knows.

Hinrich would be the most surprising choice I can imagine...no experience and his only strong point is that the previous administration loved him.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#609 » by Jcool0 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:31 pm

transplant wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:I think most fans like Hinrich

I don't know anyone that would be excited about him being head coach, but who knows.

Hinrich would be the most surprising choice I can imagine...no experience and his only strong point is that the previous administration loved him.

Come on Hinrich was a fan favorite & a good player for the Bulls. Its not just that he was liked by Gar/Pax. We also have Chauncey Billups up for the Pacers job with no coaching experience. Nets just hired Steve Nash with no experience. So experience seems to be overrated. Now i don't see the Bulls going that route. But lets not act like its a crazy one.
transplant
RealGM

Post#610 » by transplant » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:57 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
transplant wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Come on Hinrich was a fan favorite & a good player for the Bulls. Its not just that he was liked by Gar/Pax. We also have Chauncey Billups up for the Pacers job with no coaching experience. Nets just hired Steve Nash with no experience. So experience seems to be overrated. Now i don't see the Bulls going that route. But lets not act like its a crazy one.

We don't have to agree to disagree, but we need to disagree. Karnisovas/Eversley have no relationship (I know about) with Hinrich. Hinrich has no relationships with the current Bulls players. We don't even know if Hinrich wants to coach in the NBA. Hinrich is just a name of a former Bull who was a heady player who might be a good NBA coach.

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#611 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:47 pm

transplant wrote:So you think Donovan may be a good choice, but the Bulls won't "buck up?"

I've generally put forward the opinion that coaching is a threshold skill. Once you past the threshold of quality, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Like the gap between a good coach and whomever you think the best coach in the world is probably only amounts to a game or two a year and also coaching is as much about individual fit as it is talent.

In that sense, I think Donovan passes the threshold of good coach and would be fine, but I don't think he'd outperform some other good coach, and I don't expect the Bulls will pay up for him. I'd guess he'll get 5M+ per season, but I might be wrong. The thing is, if an NBA team won't pay him that much, an elite college would probably consider firing their HC and bringing Donovan in for near that.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#612 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 pm

Jcool0 wrote:Come on Hinrich was a fan favorite & a good player for the Bulls. Its not just that he was liked by Gar/Pax. We also have Chauncey Billups up for the Pacers job with no coaching experience. Nets just hired Steve Nash with no experience. So experience seems to be overrated. Now i don't see the Bulls going that route. But lets not act like its a crazy one.

Billups and Nash were tremendous leaders throughout their careers. I don't think NBA people view Hinrich that way. Hinrich never struck me as a particularly bright player or leader.
@doug_thonus on twitter
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#613 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:18 am

Jcool0 wrote:
transplant wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Hinrich was overrated by the fan base and the FO. I want no part of Joerger but I would sooner see him as HC than Hinrich.
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#614 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:33 am

It's so hard analyzing these assistants...
Craig at least has a good season in the g-league under his belt.
Boylen being "highly regarded" (back then, at least) and from a respected coaching tree might have forever tainted my view on these guys.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#615 » by Jcool0 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:45 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
transplant wrote:Hinrich would be the most surprising choice I can imagine...no experience and his only strong point is that the previous administration loved him.

Hinrich was overrated by the fan base and the FO. I want no part of Joerger but I would sooner see him as HC than Hinrich.

MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#616 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:30 am

Jcool0 wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

Hinrich and Deng are beloved by the fans. Probably more than they should be. I understand it with Lu but not with Kirk.
It’s definitely my opinion though.
rmlsr
Freshman

Post#617 » by rmlsr » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:26 am

Be nice if Clippers finished off that series tomorrow, cuz if AK is waiting on Wes Unseld Jr he could then speed the hiring process up. I know you can hire asst coaches during playoffs but since AK is coming from Denver maybe he feels the need to wait until they are out of playoffs. Jmo
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#618 » by chitownsalesmen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 am

dougthonus wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:Come on Hinrich was a fan favorite & a good player for the Bulls. Its not just that he was liked by Gar/Pax. We also have Chauncey Billups up for the Pacers job with no coaching experience. Nets just hired Steve Nash with no experience. So experience seems to be overrated. Now i don't see the Bulls going that route. But lets not act like its a crazy one.

Billups and Nash were tremendous leaders throughout their careers. I don't think NBA people view Hinrich that way. Hinrich never struck me as a particularly bright player or leader.

agreed, the idea of hiring Hinrich as HC with no real experience aside from his playing ideas is just a complete dog s**t idea based solely on him being a long time former Bull who fans may think was smart player/leader but that could wind up back firing worse then Hoiberg/Boylen.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#619 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 am

rmlsr wrote:Be nice if Clippers finished off that series tomorrow, cuz if AK is waiting on Wes Unseld Jr he could then speed the hiring process up. I know you can hire asst coaches during playoffs but since AK is coming from Denver maybe he feels the need to wait until they are out of playoffs. Jmo

I think AK is going through all of his options. No need to truly rush a decision.
rmlsr
Freshman

Post#620 » by rmlsr » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
rmlsr wrote:Be nice if Clippers finished off that series tomorrow, cuz if AK is waiting on Wes Unseld Jr he could then speed the hiring process up. I know you can hire asst coaches during playoffs but since AK is coming from Denver maybe he feels the need to wait until they are out of playoffs. Jmo

I think AK is going through all of his options. No need to truly rush a decision.

I don’t think AK is rushing anything. I just think at this point AK probably has a pretty good idea of who he’s leaning towards by now. I’m sure AK has gathered all the information that he could possibly get by now.

Return to Chicago Bulls