ImageImageImage

Sixers new HC search thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#341 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:42 pm

Lou_23 wrote:He is a system coach. They trade away Capela because he wanted do it, this guy is the worst fit in the NBA for this team.

It is like Horford the last year, a terrible decision

If he is a "system coach" why was his system radically different in Phoenix vs. Houston?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#342 » by the_process » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Not sure how Pringles fits here. Unless they plan on doing a much bigger overhaul than expected.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#343 » by TTP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:49 pm

Lou_23 wrote:He is a system coach. They trade away Capela because he wanted do it, this guy is the worst fit in the NBA for this team.

The worst fit would be a bad coach.

MDA is definitely a good, progressive coach. I have faith in a guy like that being able to design a system around his players' talents.

Morey even specifically raved about MDA being one of the best ever at taking a players' strengths and adjusting a system around them rather than forcing players to adjust to his system. (https://youtu.be/e1vR_R0fsHc?t=685)
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#344 » by VDT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm

D Antony has always disliked giving big men touches. Even when he had Dwight he wanted him to be largely a rim runner.

Embiid is probably the worst fit to D Antony's schemes. I doubt Embiid is in the mood to play D Antony basketball, nor is D Antony at 69 in the mood to try to coach another star incompatible with his basketball beliefs.

Simmons is not ideal either, due to his limitations.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#345 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Oh no, it is getting definitely harder and harder to justify being a Sixers fan these days, bad decision after bad decision.
If anything, this proves what I said weeks ago, that there is a calculated plan to run Embiid out of this team and alienate him, he is the worst coach possible for him. This team has given up on building around Embiid and has chosen Simmons, which is fine but not in this way, Embiid value will plummet in front of our eyes.
Horrible takes since 2016
TTP
Head Coach

Post#346 » by TTP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 pm

To all the people arguing that MDA is a bad fit because he doesn't have a track record of designing a system around a superstar big and a star playmaking non-shooting big, what coach does have that track record?

agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#347 » by agiaco » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 pm

TTP wrote:To all the people arguing that MDA is a bad fit because he doesn't have a track record of designing a system around a superstar big and a star playmaking non-shooting big, what coach does have that track record?

Everyone loves to complain when there are no better options. Just easier for some people. Sort of like the same people who are clamoring for news on the coaching search while criticizing the process they have no idea about.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 723

Post#348 » by Lou_23 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:53 pm

TTP wrote:To all the people arguing that MDA is a bad fit because he doesn't have a track record of designing a system around a superstar big and a star playmaking non-shooting big, what coach does have that track record?

I dont know who , but I can tell you who won´t have that track record.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#349 » by TTP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Lou_23 wrote:

I dont know who , but I can tell you who won´t have that track record.

It's easy to tell who won't have that track record - literally every coach available - which is why it's not a good argument.

We need a creative solution for our garbage team construction. Why would you not want a coach that has a long history of being ahead of his time in designing great offenses? I have more faith in a guy like that figuring it out rather than most anyone else.

VDT
Analyst

Post#350 » by VDT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:15 pm

D Antoni didnt really adapt (at elast successfully) even when he was younger and on the Lakers, i doubt he will do it now just before retirement. If he comes here, i would expect an Embiid trade soon after. Otherwise the team would be even more dysfunctional than last year.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#351 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:15 pm

It’ll be interesting if we hire him because I can’t think of a team less suited for his style. Thybulle, Harris, Richardson are all not great off ball shooters. Embiid would die of exhaustion from the constant fast break/short offensive possessions.

I think if they are to commit to Ben as one of the cornerstones of the team and look to move Embiid, it would make sense. That said, I’m not sure that’s the move.

Also, we currently don’t have/it will be incredibly hard to find the Harden or Nash for that offense.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#352 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 pm

I am willing to trade Embiid as many know, but hiring M_A will make him look worse, he will pout more and show worse attitude on and off the court, so his trade value will be worse. If the team wants to get rid of Embiid, which is evident it is the case, then do it properly, trade him while he is in a proper system to showcase him. Then later on you hire M_A if you want (I don't).
Horrible takes since 2016
VDT
Analyst

Post#353 » by VDT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:12 pm

Hawks is probably the ideal team for him based on their roster and situation.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#354 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:20 pm

If we’re trying to recreate the D’Antoni Suns experience, I’d consider trading Embiid for Ingram, Ball, Jrue, and their first in ‘24 and ‘25 which will be the better pick of theirs or the Lakers.

Jrue
Ball
Matisse
Ingram
Simmons

Figure out a way to move Tobias. Horford can stay for larger lineups. At the very least, we’d have switchability on defense and guys with high offensive IQ. Fast break would be insane.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#355 » by Negrodamus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:21 pm

VDT wrote:Hawks is probably the ideal team for him based on their roster and situation.

Very true. That would be a great match.
skulky
Junior
And1: 94

Post#356 » by skulky » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:If we’re trying to recreate the D’Antoni Suns experience, I’d consider trading Embiid for Ingram, Ball, Jrue, and their first in ‘24 and ‘25 which will be the better pick of theirs or the Lakers.

Jrue
Ball
Matisse
Ingram
Simmons

Figure out a way to move Tobias. Horford can stay for larger lineups. At the very least, we’d have switchability on defense and guys with high offensive IQ. Fast break would be insane.

That would be a tricky trade to pull off with Ingram being a rfa and up for a contract similar to embiid’s, plus an additional 11 for ball and 25 for jrue. Unless they take tobias or horford there’s really no way.

Also I think I’d rather have pick 13 than ball.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#357 » by SouthJersey » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 pm

Harris seems like a fit in a D’Antoni system. Perfect size to play center
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#358 » by Stanford » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:45 pm

Arsenal wrote:

If he is a "system coach" why was his system radically different in Phoenix vs. Houston?

Both systems though. Ah ha!
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#359 » by Kobblehead » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:49 pm

This coaching search is a great reminder for us to recycle.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#360 » by Arsenal » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:51 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It’ll be interesting if we hire him because I can’t think of a team less suited for his style. Thybulle, Harris, Richardson are all not great off ball shooters. Embiid would die of exhaustion from the constant fast break/short offensive possessions.

I think if they are to commit to Ben as one of the cornerstones of the team and look to move Embiid, it would make sense. That said, I’m not sure that’s the move.

Also, we currently don’t have/it will be incredibly hard to find the Harden or Nash for that offense.

Houston doesn't have great shooters either. Doesn't matter, they are forced to shoot. We could use that approach instead of coddling guys who refuse to catch and shoot like Brett did. And its not just Ben either.

I'm fine w/him having Embiid shoot a ton of 3's instead of exhausting himself banging in the post all game. Save his energy for D where he is most effective.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers