ImageImageImage

Offseason plan : Fixing this mess

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Re: Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#761 » by VDT » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Yeah, trading Thybulle for someone like Kevin Love is beyond stupid and the last thing we need right now.

Dont give Brand ideas.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#762 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 pm

twix2500 wrote:
the_process wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
Doesn't matter what position he plays. He has to shoot. That is something you can not work around. The team has to pressure him or move him. That is something you cannot just accept. If the organization can't get him to shoot maybe another organization can. 30 plus mill per and will not shoot is unacceptable and not adjustable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And moving him is a possibility. Just not yet. In the meantime, have to try different ways to make him and the rest of the team effective and efficient.
I get you want the team in general to be successful. But in all honesty, its gonna be a disappointment no matter what if the 76ers do not at least be in the finals. Those expectations are because of Embiid and Simmons. Its no ones goal just to better than last year. Because of their salaries, you can't put Simmons or Embiid to the side for another player to carry the star load. Its should be either the 76ers fail with the ball in Simmons and Embiid hands or remove them, because a third 30 million dollar player will not overcome 30 mill dollars of Simmons being used like birdman. Gotta let them live and learn, the team has committed to NBA finals money.

I agree its not the time to move on from either player but it is time to give them a chance to prove it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This especially resonates with me. That's why i'm against the idea of swinging for the fences in desperation for Chris Paul. It just screams panic if we do that. I say try and move either one of Tobias or Horford. I don't think we can move both, but I do think we can make a smart trade with Portland involving Harris for CJ Mcollum. I imagine Horford will just have to stay on the bench and play the role we give him. We're just going to have to eat their contracts at this point and it is what it is, but back to what you said...This is the Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid show all freaking day. These two are supposed to be our superstars. We drafted them, let them prove it, stop coddling them, stop surrounding them with other star players which I think actually hinders their growth (especially if we're not winning). This next season should be all about them in my opinion. Put three shooters around them that can somewhat defend and lets see what happens. At that point, we should know for sure if this is going to work and if they are committed to this situation. If it goes south, then we can move one of them...Whichever one wants to go. I imagine it will be Ben, but that is a topic for another day.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#763 » by Arsenal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 pm

The mess won't be fixed because this world class turd, who created the mess, is still in charge:

All that can be seen with any great detail out the window is a man employed to wash said windows. He is gradually repelling down the side of the building, meticulously scrubbing away. The associates go on with their presentation in hopes that eventually Harris may perk up, until Harris interrupts their speaking abruptly by saying: “Hey, you see that guy? (He gestures to the window washer.) That’s why we went to college.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/9/14/21434196/joshua-harris-thinks-were-stupid
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#764 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Arsenal wrote:The mess won't be fixed because this world class turd, who created the mess, is still in charge:

All that can be seen with any great detail out the window is a man employed to wash said windows. He is gradually repelling down the side of the building, meticulously scrubbing away. The associates go on with their presentation in hopes that eventually Harris may perk up, until Harris interrupts their speaking abruptly by saying: “Hey, you see that guy? (He gestures to the window washer.) That’s why we went to college.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/9/14/21434196/joshua-harris-thinks-were-stupid

Didn't know my opinion of him could go down THAT much more. Lol what an ass.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#765 » by SixersSince82 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 pm

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk[/quote]

This especially resonates with me. That's why i'm against the idea of swinging for the fences in desperation for Chris Paul. It just screams panic if we do that. I say try and move either one of Tobias or Horford. I don't think we can move both, but I do think we can make a smart trade with Portland involving Harris for CJ Mcollum. I imagine Horford will just have to stay on the bench and play the role we give him. We're just going to have to eat their contracts at this point and it is what it is, but back to what you said...This is the Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid show all freaking day. These two are supposed to be our superstars. We drafted them, let them prove it, stop coddling them, stop surrounding them with other star players which I think actually hinders their growth (especially if we're not winning). This next season should be all about them in my opinion. Put three shooters around them that can somewhat defend and lets see what happens. At that point, we should know for sure if this is going to work and if they are committed to this situation. If it goes south, then we can move one of them...Whichever one wants to go. I imagine it will be Ben, but that is a topic for another day.[/quote]

This should be the plan for like 2 years while they lay the groundwork for acquiring a guy like Beal, McCollum or dare I dream, Booker.

Ben, especially, needs to grow his offensive game a ton, but realistically he and Embiid will absolutely never be clutch, end of game scorers and you need that to win a title.

Duncan and Shaq were great, but it was their perimeter teammates coming up big on offense in the clutch. And Ben... Jeez, it shouldn't even be a debate. He'll never be a prolific scorer, just not in him. So... EVENTUALLY they NEED that guy. If you want to give em 2 years to "develop" maybe soul search a little. I'm on board. In fact, two years from now, as he approaches being an expiring contract, Horford probably starts to have some actual trade value, so you potentially position yourself to get a disenfranchised star in his prime a couple years from now instead of an over the hill star (CP3) now.

I like that long term strategy.

But any talk of long term living and dying with Ben and Joel as the teams only "stars" is futile. They will never win a title that way.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,515

Post#766 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:16 am

Spoiler:
SixersSince82 wrote:Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This especially resonates with me. That's why i'm against the idea of swinging for the fences in desperation for Chris Paul. It just screams panic if we do that. I say try and move either one of Tobias or Horford. I don't think we can move both, but I do think we can make a smart trade with Portland involving Harris for CJ Mcollum. I imagine Horford will just have to stay on the bench and play the role we give him. We're just going to have to eat their contracts at this point and it is what it is, but back to what you said...This is the Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid show all freaking day. These two are supposed to be our superstars. We drafted them, let them prove it, stop coddling them, stop surrounding them with other star players which I think actually hinders their growth (especially if we're not winning). This next season should be all about them in my opinion. Put three shooters around them that can somewhat defend and lets see what happens. At that point, we should know for sure if this is going to work and if they are committed to this situation. If it goes south, then we can move one of them...Whichever one wants to go. I imagine it will be Ben, but that is a topic for another day.[/quote]

This should be the plan for like 2 years while they lay the groundwork for acquiring a guy like Beal, McCollum or dare I dream, Booker.

Ben, especially, needs to grow his offensive game a ton, but realistically he and Embiid will absolutely never be clutch, end of game scorers and you need that to win a title.

Duncan and Shaq were great, but it was their perimeter teammates coming up big on offense in the clutch. And Ben... Jeez, it shouldn't even be a debate. He'll never be a prolific scorer, just not in him. So... EVENTUALLY they NEED that guy. If you want to give em 2 years to "develop" maybe soul search a little. I'm on board. In fact, two years from now, as he approaches being an expiring contract, Horford probably starts to have some actual trade value, so you potentially position yourself to get a disenfranchised star in his prime a couple years from now instead of an over the hill star (CP3) now.

I like that long term strategy.

But any talk of long term living and dying with Ben and Joel as the teams only "stars" is futile. They will never win a title that way.[/quote]

Yup. That’s the most likely plan.

Bank on Biid and Ben’s development for 3 seasons. Then if that doesn’t work either use Al’s contract as an asset or trade one of them.

That maybe a better scenario than running it back. Not winning a championship. Have to complete rebuild for the next 2 seasons with an aging roster and with Ben’s dismayed because of playing a lesser role, which leads to continued lack of development from them.

Like I said, the vision is to have a team that can compete for a long period of time.

And if that’s not the plan then you have to accept that’s the card you’re dealt with in order to find peace and enjoy this team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,515

Post#767 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:26 am

Everyone have skeletons in their closet. The Rich didn’t become rich by doing charity and saving the world. Winners make losers.

Most of then also view themselves as more superior than others, so do how most players look at the fans.

Personally, I dont like how the philly media would try to attack personal non-sports matters to bring someone down to get what they want.

I’ve always said how these kind of behavior would just scare the top tier people away from the team.

Would a top tier coach, owner or GM want to be part of our team when if the team underperforms, our media would spill some dirty secrets of who he has slept with that will destroy his family?

Rich and powerful people (including athletes) do stuffs that seems immoral or have lack of empathy compared to average joes. And I experience this as a person living in a third world country being colonized by first world countries for multiple centuries and as a professional working for rich and powerful people.

This is not political. So let’s keep it professional and not attack people personally.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#768 » by Jhawk03 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am

76thBearCub wrote:
Arsenal wrote:The mess won't be fixed because this world class turd, who created the mess, is still in charge:

Didn't know my opinion of him could go down THAT much more. Lol what an ass.

I thought pride cometh before the fall, just saying, good luck keeping the fans :roll:
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#769 » by agiaco » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Is Jeremy Lin worth the look to replace Neto?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,848

Post#770 » by Stanford » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 pm

76ciology wrote:Rich and powerful people (including athletes) do stuffs that seems immoral or have lack of empathy compared to average joes.

So Josh Harris is Napoleon. Does that make the rest of us ordinary? That kind of question could lead one to kill an old pawnbroker.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#771 » by Sixersftw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm sorry but the assertion that this is apolitical is crazy. Harris was attempting to use tax payer funds to build his stadium. All bets are off at that point. If he wants to use public funds for a non-governmental action, well, he is inviting scrutiny into himself, his business, and that of his close associates.

I don't get excusing his moral failing because of his fame or wealth but I don't know if that part is worth truly delving into more than Standford is.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Post#772 » by Tony Franciosa » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Harris should be studying every move Jeff Lurie made/makes as an owner. I don't always agree with everything he did, but he's always been humble, classy, and willing to accept there are people smarter than himself to run certain things.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#773 » by kriss73 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:36 am

It's time to help the Clippers:

Harris and Scott for Shamet and a couple of first round picks.
Go Old School Chevy!
LOL
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#774 » by Stribor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 am

After a little bit of relaxation. Ok I am not a big fan of Ben, but in all the games (except second), we were close without our second best player. Perhaps give this team to new coach and see what he can get out of it. It felt disastrous, but if we get competent coach .... who knows. We should not get to nervous and fire sell ...
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#775 » by Lou_23 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:31 am

League sources have said the Sixers are inquiring about the possibility of hiring a president of basketball operations.

One source said that Portland Trail Blazers president of basketball operations/ general manager Neil Olshey may have some interest in the Sixers, but that’s only if he has total power, as the president and general manager. Brand is the GM.

Former Atlanta Hawks president of basketball operation/general manager Danny Ferry’s name keeps popping up as a possible candidate. But the Sixers keep shooting that down.

They also denied that they were planning to take another run at Myers. That would not have mattered, anyways. The Golden State Warriors president of basketball operations and general manager isn’t interested in coming to Philadelphia, according to sources.

A source also believes the Sixers will attempt to inquirer about Morey (Houston Rocket general manager) and Indiana Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard. The source, however, believes it’s unlikely that those candidates would be interested.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-nba-elton-brand-ned-cohen-alex-rucker--20200917.html
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#776 » by Sixersftw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:53 pm

What in the **** are we doing. Pick a lane. You keep Elton, purge the BCB leftovers, and let Elton pick the coach. Alternatively, You still remove all the left over Collars loyalists, you install someone above Elton and that person needs to be present when we choose our coach.

Doing these seemingly sequential actions at the same time is.... odd.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,848

Post#777 » by Stanford » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Sixersftw wrote:What in the **** are we doing. Pick a lane. You keep Elton, purge the BCB leftovers, and let Elton pick the coach. Alternatively, You still remove all the left over Collars loyalists, you install someone above Elton and that person needs to be present when we choose our coach.

To be fair, I don't think that Pompey said much of anything. It's a **** mess.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#778 » by Sixersftw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Stanford wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:What in the **** are we doing. Pick a lane. You keep Elton, purge the BCB leftovers, and let Elton pick the coach. Alternatively, You still remove all the left over Collars loyalists, you install someone above Elton and that person needs to be present when we choose our coach.

To be fair, I don't think that Pompey said much of anything. It's a **** mess.

I saw it on another site or 2. If I would have known they were aggregating Pompey I wouldn't have paid them any attention. My man is a truly terrible writer and he is just getting spun left and right by the FO/Agents.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,441

Post#779 » by Eyeamok » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm

You know in addition to this. Josh Harris is winning. His individual wealth has increased tremendously since buying the team. So yes the team maybe in shambles. But personally he is doing quite well. And quite possibly, in his mind, if he is doing so well. Then he must be doing something right. And if you are doing something right why rock the boat.

The prevailing mindset could easily be:
Yes we got bumped in the first round but that is because we did not have Ben and our coach sucked. We will get Ben back get a better coach and then we will see improvement next season. So no major changes at the top are needed.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#780 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:12 pm

This team teases with the idea of adding Morey so much. Maybe they really do feel remorse about letting Hinkie go? After so many bad decisions, I'd hope they have some humility in admitting their mistakes. Giving Morey full control would give me some hope for the future.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers