Hire Nate McMillan?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 834

Re: Hire Nate McMillan? 

Post#61 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:18 pm

shrink wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:I agree that Ryan Saunders sucks and we have the worst coach in the NBA. We are outschemed every night and it’s not close. Pretty surprising that Rosas would be his tenure on Ryan but I bet Glen told him to keep Ryan as well.

I put this on Rosas, not Saunders. I feel Rosas is trying to implement a system, and there was no variation this season to try to get it in place. Remember Rosas saying last off-season that it wasn’t about wins and losses, and that they weren’t going to play two bigs, even against the biggest teams where it made sense, because “we wanted other teams to adjust to us, not have us adjust to them?”

I don’t think Saunders was given an inch of latitude to scheme. And I don’t think Glen had the final say on Ryan staying, I felt Rosas wanted someone who would be loyal and stick with his system, even though it would lead to losses for now.

Finally, I am not an X and O’s guy, but I still think the system is the right one to maximize Towns - we have just had rotten personnel to run it. Add in KAT’s unwillingness to not stay in the defensive system, and his desire to chase the ball. Neither of these things really fall on Saunders, so my opinion on him as a in-game coach right now is .. To Be Determined.

In his favor is that Towns seems to love him and the locker room seems much better, but he needs to start showing wins this year, or he could lose even that.

Last year was bad. Teams would come here playing a back to back and wolves has 3-4 days off, opposing teams would play harder than us consistently. That’s on coaching.

Glen was still paying Thibs off for his last two years on his contract. Doubt he wanted to pay Thibs and Ryan too with Rosas picking a new 3rd head coach.

We are talking about Glen Taylor here, a owner who use to routinely trade draft picks for cash.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#62 » by minimus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:I agree that Ryan Saunders sucks and we have the worst coach in the NBA. We are outschemed every night and it’s not close. Pretty surprising that Rosas would be his tenure on Ryan but I bet Glen told him to keep Ryan as well.

That's simply not true. First, we are not 'outschemed'. Moreover, MIN + Iowa teams play the SAME offense. KAT continues to improve, Beasley, Juancho, JMac flourish with this scheme. Ryan missed a few rotations, a few clutch plays were executed perfectly, but he is always prepared, he develops young players, he is connected with them. Second, this is a non sense about Glen making basketball decisions instead of Rosas. There is no single fact about it. I wish Glen fired Thibs long before he interrupted Butler curcus. Thibs who messed Wiggins contract extension, planted a bomb that explored during Butler era. Finally, I can name another team with such a bad roster that has been constantly rebuilt with worse record. They have with Green, Curry/DLo/Wiggins, they have a brilliant basketball mind in Kerr. Maybe they should just fire Steve?

If Ryan’s last name was a Ryan Anderson, he wouldn’t be a head coach in the NbA. That’s a fact. He has no head coaching experience or any experience playing basketball at a high level.

Erik Spoelstra, Nick Nurse
minimus
RealGM

Post#63 » by minimus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
shrink wrote:

I put this on Rosas, not Saunders. I feel Rosas is trying to implement a system, and there was no variation this season to try to get it in place. Remember Rosas saying last off-season that it wasn’t about wins and losses, and that they weren’t going to play two bigs, even against the biggest teams where it made sense, because “we wanted other teams to adjust to us, not have us adjust to them?”

I don’t think Saunders was given an inch of latitude to scheme. And I don’t think Glen had the final say on Ryan staying, I felt Rosas wanted someone who would be loyal and stick with his system, even though it would lead to losses for now.

Finally, I am not an X and O’s guy, but I still think the system is the right one to maximize Towns - we have just had rotten personnel to run it. Add in KAT’s unwillingness to not stay in the defensive system, and his desire to chase the ball. Neither of these things really fall on Saunders, so my opinion on him as a in-game coach right now is .. To Be Determined.

In his favor is that Towns seems to love him and the locker room seems much better, but he needs to start showing wins this year, or he could lose even that.

Last year was bad. Teams would come here playing a back to back and wolves has 3-4 days off, opposing teams would play harder than us consistently. That’s on coaching.

Glen was still paying Thibs off for his last two years on his contract. Doubt he wanted to pay Thibs and Ryan too with Rosas picking a new 3rd head coach.

We are talking about Glen Taylor here, a owner who use to routinely trade draft picks for cash.

FYI. Glen gave KG biggest contract in NBA at that moment. And Glen gave Rosas permission to go in luxury zone.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#64 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:33 pm

minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
minimus wrote:
That's simply not true. First, we are not 'outschemed'. Moreover, MIN + Iowa teams play the SAME offense. KAT continues to improve, Beasley, Juancho, JMac flourish with this scheme. Ryan missed a few rotations, a few clutch plays were executed perfectly, but he is always prepared, he develops young players, he is connected with them. Second, this is a non sense about Glen making basketball decisions instead of Rosas. There is no single fact about it. I wish Glen fired Thibs long before he interrupted Butler curcus. Thibs who messed Wiggins contract extension, planted a bomb that explored during Butler era. Finally, I can name another team with such a bad roster that has been constantly rebuilt with worse record. They have with Green, Curry/DLo/Wiggins, they have a brilliant basketball mind in Kerr. Maybe they should just fire Steve?

If Ryan’s last name was a Ryan Anderson, he wouldn’t be a head coach in the NbA. That’s a fact. He has no head coaching experience or any experience playing basketball at a high level.

Nick Nurse was a head coach for college and G league.

He’s had years and years of experience managing and running a team as the head guy.

As for Spo, he was a D-1 player with Full Schlorship so he played at a high level. He also coached in a Europe before coming back to the states to be an assistant.
minimus
RealGM

Post#65 » by minimus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:36 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:

He’s had years and years of experience managing and running a team as the head guy.

As for Spo, he was a D-1 player with Full Schlorship so he played at a high level. He also coached in a Europe before coming back to the states to be an assistant.

Yeah, that's what we call high level basketball. On the other side: at age 33, Ryan Saunders became the youngest head coach in the league, despite having over 10 years of NBA experience under his belt.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#66 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:44 pm

minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
minimus wrote:

Yeah, that's what we call high level basketball. On the other side: at age 33, Ryan Saunders became the youngest head coach in the league, despite having over 10 years of NBA experience under his belt.

And we had the longest losing streak in the NBA last season and in Timberwolves history.

There has been wolves teams with much worse talent that last year.

Nice records to have for Ryan Saunders and you to be proud of.
minimus
RealGM

Post#67 » by minimus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:46 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Nick Nurse was a head coach for college and G league.

And we had the longest losing streak in the NBA last season and in Timberwolves history.

Well. We still have better record than GSW with Kerr. Should we discuss Kerr? And we have first pick.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#68 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:40 pm

minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
minimus wrote:

Well. We still have better record than GSW with Kerr. Should we discuss Kerr? And we have first pick.

Kerr's team last year was comprised almost exclusively of should be NBA bench players and should be G League stars. Try to debate honestly. Did Curry play for one or two weeks before going down for the season? He and Dray Green were the only players he had that definitely were starter quality, but they were injured or benched for the Tank most of the season.
minimus
RealGM

Hire Nate McMillan? 

Post#69 » by minimus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:

Kerr's team last year was comprised almost exclusively of should be NBA bench players and should be G League stars. Try to debate honestly. Did Curry play for one or two weeks before going down for the season? He and Dray Green were the only players he had that definitely were starter quality They were injured or benched for the Tank most of the season.

Really? It's strange that don't you see any similarities...

Dieng, Teague - bench players
JMac, KBD, Nowell, Martin - gleague stars

RoCo ~ Green
KAT/DLo/Wiggins - Curry/DLo/Wiggins
Okogie - Looney
Chriss - Culver
Burke/Robinson/WCS/Pascal ~ Layman/Beasley/Juancho
-

Anyway, I think Kerr should have won at least 30 games even with this roster in West, because Ryan won 19 games, oh wait...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#70 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:01 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Kerr's team last year was comprised almost exclusively of should be NBA bench players and should be G League stars. Try to debate honestly. Did Curry play for one or two weeks before going down for the season? He and Dray Green were the only players he had that definitely were starter quality They were injured or benched for the Tank most of the season.

RoCo ~ Green
Okogie - Looney
Chriss - Culver
-

Anyway, I think Kerr should have won at least 30 wins even with this roster in West, because Ryan won 19 games, oh wait...

He only had two NBA level starters and both of them missed almost the entire season.
Saunders had Beasley, D Lo and KAT for Half the Season. that was not good, but far superior to what Kerr had to work with. It honestly freaks me out how ardently you support Saunders. I hope you're right. I bet Rosas isn't firing him any time soon. We will win a lot more games this year due to no fault of Saunders. It will simply come from KAT, D'Lo and Beasley being healthy and playing together plus whatever we make out of the #1 draft pick.
minimus
RealGM

Post#71 » by minimus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:03 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Kerr's team last year was comprised almost exclusively of should be NBA bench players and should be G League stars. Try to debate honestly. Did Curry play for one or two weeks before going down for the season? He and Dray Green were the only players he had that definitely were starter quality They were injured or benched for the Tank most of the season.

RoCo ~ Green
Okogie - Looney
Chriss - Culver
-

Anyway, I think Kerr should have won at least 30 wins even with this roster in West, because Ryan won 19 games, oh wait...

He only had two NBA level starters and both of them missed almost the entire season.
Saunders had Beasley, D Lo and KAT for Half the Season. that was not good, but far superior to what Kerr had to work with. It honestly freaks me out how ardently you support Saunders. I hope you're right. I bet Rosas isn't firing him any time soon. We will win a lot more games this year due to no fault of Saunders. It will simply come from KAT, D'Lo and Beasley being healthy and playing together plus whatever we make out of the #1 draft pick.

Ok, that's another topic I won't discuss with you anymore.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#72 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:07 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

RoCo ~ Green
Okogie - Looney
Chriss - Culver
-

Ok, that's another topic I won't with you anymore.

That's cool. All it was is you saying how much you like Saunders and me saying how much he sucks.
minimus
RealGM

Post#73 » by minimus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 pm

KGdaBom wrote:me saying how much he sucks.

JFYI, I don't know about your mentally, but in Russian when a man says to another man "you suck", it will usually lead to blood. There is difference between saying "you are bad at something" or "your opinion is incorrect" and "you suck". No one will say about another person in public "he sucks". At least this is not the way grown men speak in our mentally.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#74 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm

minimus wrote:

JFYI, I don't know about your mentally, but in Russian when a man says to another man "you suck", it will usually lead to blood. There is difference between saying "you are bad at something" or "your opinion is incorrect" and "you suck". No one will say about another person in public "he sucks". At least this is not the way grown men speak in our mentally.

In America we say that people suck all the time. It's the same as saying you're bad at something. If we were to discuss Saunders any more for your sake I would do my best to just say he is horrible, terrible, or pathetic in the future when replying to you. However, since we have agreed not to discuss Saunders that shouldn't be an issue. When responding to others if I use the word suck just remember that is the way we talk in America and it just means really bad at something.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 199

Post#75 » by Battletrigger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:14 pm

minimus wrote:

In Russia there are too many things that lead to blood :lol:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#76 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Battletrigger wrote:
minimus wrote:

In Russia there are too many things that lead to blood :lol:

Yeah it seems that way to me as an American. I used the term Lapdog which just means that person is at the bidding of somebody else. Minimus let me know that word would lead to blood also. It probably works the other way though for some things.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#77 » by shrink » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:56 am

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

In America we say that people suck all the time. It's the same as saying you're bad at something. If we were to discuss Saunders any more for your sake I would do my best to just say he is horrible, terrible, or pathetic in the future when replying to you. However, since we have agreed not to discuss Saunders that shouldn't be an issue. When responding to others if I use the word suck just remember that is the way we talk in America and it just means really bad at something.

You’re both right. That’s because in America, we have dropped the object of the sentence. If, as it was originally intended, we said what they sucked, it would be more offensive. Now we don’t even think about any implication.

But KGdaBom is right. Here the phrase has been over-used so much, that it is only a small slight. I can see how the word could be taken far more seriously elsewhere.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#78 » by KGdaBom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 am

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

You’re both right. That’s because in America, we have dropped the object of the sentence. If, as it was originally intended, we said what they sucked, it would be more offensive. Now we don’t even think about any implication.

But KGdaBom is right. Here the phrase has been over-used so much, that it is only a small slight. I can see how the word could be taken far more seriously elsewhere.

If a person wants to take it with sexual implication sure. That is not how it's used the vast majority of the time in American speech. The word has evolved into just meaning bad at something.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#79 » by shrink » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:50 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:In America we say that people suck all the time. It's the same as saying you're bad at something. If we were to discuss Saunders any more for your sake I would do my best to just say he is horrible, terrible, or pathetic in the future when replying to you. However, since we have agreed not to discuss Saunders that shouldn't be an issue. When responding to others if I use the word suck just remember that is the way we talk in America and it just means really bad at something.

If a person wants to take it with sexual implication sure. That is not how it's used the vast majority of the time in American speech. The word has evolved into just meaning bad at something.

Exactly. And kudos, since most people don’t realize that words and language are constantly evolving.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#80 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:57 am

You guys suck at english lessons. Everyone chillax. Verb follows Noun in English. Verb goes where ever it wants in other langagues. That's how I see it. We also don't have female objects or masculine objects or feminine verbs. just feminine products.
KG sucks at posting does not mean that KG sucks on post it notes, or that KG sucks anything.

Now if you are somewhere and someone says, "A finite verb with feminine gender indicates a feminine subject." Just pack up your things and leave before things get...worse. I changed word to protect innocence.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves