ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#1781 » by King4Day » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:01 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

These guys act like Oubre, Ayton, at least one of Cam/Bridges and picks isn't a deal that could net Giannis? Huh?
Name a team that can offer them something better...

Set aside the fact he's staying with the Bucks but I don't get why the hosts think a Suns offer surrounded by Ayton isn't competitive
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1782 » by cberry78 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 am

King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

These guys act like Oubre, Ayton, at least one of Cam/Bridges and picks isn't a deal that could net Giannis? Huh?

Set aside the fact he's staying with the Bucks but I don't get why the hosts think a Suns offer surrounded by Ayton isn't competitive

Doesn't OKC have like 47 first-round picks over the next decade? I'm pretty sure that plus salary would trump the Suns' offer.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#1783 » by Slim Charless » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:58 am

cberry78 wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Doesn't OKC have like 47 first-round picks over the next decade? I'm pretty sure that plus salary would trump the Suns' offer.

Yeah but why would he resign in OKC? We get him here with Booker and our wings and it's whole different ball game for him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,378

Post#1784 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:33 am

Mjee wrote:
Chicagoat wrote:Hello everyone, I come from the Bulls board.

Just wanting to get a temperature of how your fan base feels about Lauri? Him being a local guy and being a position of need would be a good bonus.

lets make a deal .... Oubre for Lauri straight up?

What gets it done in your opinion ????

I'm sure we'd have to add something there, given that we'd control the rights for Lauri for 5 years and they would have Oubre for 1 and hope they could re-sign him.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#1785 » by Kerrsed » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:11 am

King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Your talking about the MVP here. Top 3 player in the league. And you think Ayton, an expiring Oubre (Who was acquired for the train-wreck dumpster-fire Ariza), and a young roleplayer like Cam or Bridges is enough? Who cares about the pick because Booker/Giannis will ensure that its a non-lottery pick. Trading a top player in the league you better be getting an allstar back or multiple former allstars. MVP? You better be getting back everything you ask for from a team.

Westbrook wanted out from OKC, and they netted a 9x All-star and arguably one of the best PG's in the league in Chris Paul, along with 2 1st round picks and the option to swap picks inbetween. Sure CP3 is up there in age (just 4 years older than Westbrook), yet he made the all-star game for the 10th time. He will also net them more assets via trade this offseason.Also keep in mind that was for a 31 year old Westbrook, Giannis is 25.

For Paul George (6x all-star) OKC landed SGA, who is somewhat around Bridges value but is considered to have a much higher upside. They also got Gallo, who is pretty much Cam Johnson but holds more value around the league. Now the clincher to this trade was picks (Since OKC is smart and knows they are looking at rebuilding in a year or two). They get the Clippers first round draft picks in 2022/2024/2026, the Heats first round picks in 2021/2023, along with the option to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023 and 2025. Quite a haul for their future, and just remember, Paul George has never been in the real MVP conversation and was 30 years old when he was traded (5 years older than MVP Giannis).

Kawhi Leonard was traded for a 4x allstar in Demar DeRozan after forcing is way out of San Antonio. They also got a young sophomore roleplayer with potential in Jakob Poeltl (Bridges/Cam value), along with 2 future 1st round picks (1 being in one of the most stacked drafts in years). They also were able to dump Danny Greene's bad contract on the Raptors. Kawhi was 28 years old and had the Spurs over a barrel when it came to trading him. While Toronto came out on top with this trade by winning a title with Kawhi, they were left holding their d***s in their hand when he left in FA like was predicted by most teams that wernt going to give up assets to San Antonio without a verbal guarantee by Kawhi about re-signing.

Those are 3 of the most recent superstar trades to help gauge the trade value of Giannis. So unless we plan on adding around 8 future 1sts in with the trade, Ayton/Oubre/Bridges isnt going to cut it.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
King4Day
RealGM

Post#1786 » by King4Day » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Your talking about the MVP here. Top 3 player in the league. And you think Ayton, an expiring Oubre (Who was acquired for the train-wreck dumpster-fire Ariza), and a young roleplayer like Cam or Bridges is enough? Who cares about the pick because Booker/Giannis will ensure that its a non-lottery pick. Trading a top player in the league you better be getting an allstar back or multiple former allstars. MVP? You better be getting back everything you ask for from a team.

Westbrook wanted out from OKC, and they netted a 9x All-star and arguably one of the best PG's in the league in Chris Paul, along with 2 1st round picks and the option to swap picks inbetween. Sure CP3 is up there in age (just 4 years older than Westbrook), yet he made the all-star game for the 10th time. He will also net them more assets via trade this offseason.Also keep in mind that was for a 31 year old Westbrook, Giannis is 25.

For Paul George (6x all-star) OKC landed SGA, who is somewhat around Bridges value but is considered to have a much higher upside. They also got Gallo, who is pretty much Cam Johnson but holds more value around the league. Now the clincher to this trade was picks (Since OKC is smart and knows they are looking at rebuilding in a year or two). They get the Clippers first round draft picks in 2022/2024/2026, the Heats first round picks in 2021/2023, along with the option to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023 and 2025. Quite a haul for their future, and just remember, Paul George has never been in the real MVP conversation and was 30 years old when he was traded (5 years older than MVP Giannis).

Kawhi Leonard was traded for a 4x allstar in Demar DeRozan after forcing is way out of San Antonio. They also got a young sophomore roleplayer with potential in Jakob Poeltl (Bridges/Cam value), along with 2 future 1st round picks (1 being in one of the most stacked drafts in years). They also were able to dump Danny Greene's bad contract on the Raptors. Kawhi was 28 years old and had the Spurs over a barrel when it came to trading him. While Toronto came out on top with this trade by winning a title with Kawhi, they were left holding their d***s in their hand when he left in FA like was predicted by most teams that wernt going to give up assets to San Antonio without a verbal guarantee by Kawhi about re-signing.

Those are 3 of the most recent superstar trades to help gauge the trade value of Giannis. So unless we plan on adding around 8 future 1sts in with the trade, Ayton/Oubre/Bridges isnt going to cut it.

Paul was considered a bad contract before this season. OKC did that because it was one less year on his deal and the picks. Not for his talent.

George would not have netted that much if it didn't mean Leonard coming to LAC too. That was a rare circumstance where one GM can bend another over (see BKN/BOS)

Milwaukee knows, if they deal Giannis, it means they are starting over. What better way to start over than with Ayton, either Bridges or Cam, this years 10, and future picks? They won't get an all-star for him. Leonard yielded DeRozen but that was only because the Spurs were stubborn and didn't want to rebuild (otherwise we'd be talking about them having to max Ingram).

We already know the Bucks won't trade Giannis, and they shouldn't. Try to win it all and regardless of result, push to re-sign him. If they lose him, you can't fault them for trying. But if they did decide to trade him, I supposed you can get a player like Simmons but it's not likely they deal him in the east.
Maybe a player like Lillard, but I'd think Portland would want to pair them instead. Same with Houston and Harden.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#1787 » by King4Day » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:51 pm

cberry78 wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

It would depend on if they value SGA over Ayton. Picks alone won't get it done.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1788 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:54 pm

I think if they want to control cost and also get value for Oubre while they likely still can get some value, they should consider the Oubre for Kennard swap if it's still available. Not because he is as good, but because Oubre's trade value will likely decrease the longer you hold him, they likely don't want to pay him what he commands, and letting him walk for cap space probably doesn't net you a player like Kennard, who vastly improved in his 3rd season with over 4 apg and shot 40% from 3. Booker was at 4.7 apg in year 3 and 38.3% from 3. From 2 pt range, Kennard's actually better in year 3, over 49% while Booker was at 46% (but of course Booker REALLY improved this part last year, despite the regression from 3). I'm not saying he's Booker or will become a player nearly as good as him, but in ways he is on the same trajectory and improving quickly.

Another reason to get Kennard is you likely control him for 4-5 years.

And I'd still re-sign Baynes if we can, so your lineups are:

Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton

Payne
Carter
Kennard
Saric
Baynes
Chicagoat
Pro Prospect
And1: 979

Post#1789 » by Chicagoat » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:14 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Chicagoat wrote:Hello everyone, I come from the Bulls board.

Just wanting to get a temperature of how your fan base feels about Lauri? Him being a local guy and being a position of need would be a good bonus.

I for my part still like him and have definite interest for the right price of course. It's weird though as many of us Suns fans can't yet identify what direction your Bulls front office/ fanbase is headed and more importantly, If your front office prioritizes him as an integral piece going forward. But I currently ( given his struggles) have his trade value at either equal to Oubre in a swap for better positional fit? Or the 10th pick. But not both. That's again where I see his trade value at personally! His upside is still pretty solid though.

But I would probably given his current value,
Only entertain one of three trades really:

1- Oubre/ Kaminsky for Markannen/ Sato?
2- Oubre for Markannen straight up?
3- I might go as high as Oubre / Kaminsky/ 10 for Markannen/ White/ 44th pick?
But I could of course understand if you guys might choose to decline any of those offers.

One interesting trade idea that I've been toying around with a bit is the framework for:

Phoenix/ Chicago/ Milwaukee/ Oklahoma city
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3na5e7a
( Picks exchanged).
- Chicago gets the 10th pick ( Phoenix).
- Phoenix gets the 24th pick ( Milwaukee), And the 25th pick from Oklahoma city.
- Oklahoma city gets a 2021 first from Milwaukee, A future ( 2023) lottery protected first from Phoenix, And the 45th pick from Chicago this draft?

Personally as it stands, every front office regime change is usually followed by a roster overhaul. I just can't see most of the roster staying put besides maybe White. I am open to trading everyone. Especially since that when we were healthy we were losing to scrub teams and our young core looks pretty meh(Besides Lavine). Nobody is safe on this roster and I can see some roster reshuffling coming up soon.

I would be content with moving Lauri for your 10th. But with the recent CBA changes coming up, it might require more shuffling of roster pieces. But as the core pieces of the trade, I am content with just that.
AKME? More like MEAK with how they're afraid to make a move to push us in one direction.

Continuity :banghead: :banghead:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,444

Post#1790 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#1791 » by cberry78 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I think if they want to control cost and also get value for Oubre while they likely still can get some value, they should consider the Oubre for Kennard swap if it's still available. Not because he is as good, but because Oubre's trade value will likely decrease the longer you hold him, they likely don't want to pay him what he commands, and letting him walk for cap space probably doesn't net you a player like Kennard, who vastly improved in his 3rd season with over 4 apg and shot 40% from 3. Booker was at 4.7 apg in year 3 and 38.3% from 3. From 2 pt range, Kennard's actually better in year 3, over 49% while Booker was at 46% (but of course Booker REALLY improved this part last year, despite the regression from 3). I'm not saying he's Booker or will become a player nearly as good as him, but in ways he is on the same trajectory and improving quickly.

Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton

Payne
Carter
Kennard
Saric
Baynes
Doesn't Kennard have some serious injury concerns though? Like long term, worse than Cam Johnson coming out of college, type of injury concerns? I thought i read as much on this forum somewhere.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1792 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:36 pm

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I think if they want to control cost and also get value for Oubre while they likely still can get some value, they should consider the Oubre for Kennard swap if it's still available. Not because he is as good, but because Oubre's trade value will likely decrease the longer you hold him, they likely don't want to pay him what he commands, and letting him walk for cap space probably doesn't net you a player like Kennard, who vastly improved in his 3rd season with over 4 apg and shot 40% from 3. Booker was at 4.7 apg in year 3 and 38.3% from 3. From 2 pt range, Kennard's actually better in year 3, over 49% while Booker was at 46% (but of course Booker REALLY improved this part last year, despite the regression from 3). I'm not saying he's Booker or will become a player nearly as good as him, but in ways he is on the same trajectory and improving quickly.

Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton

Payne
Carter
Kennard
Saric
Baynes
Doesn't Kennard have some serious injury concerns though? Like long term, worse than Cam Johnson coming out of college, type of injury concerns? I thought i read as much on this forum somewhere.

Not that I know of. He did have knee tendinitis this past year but was ready to go and completely healthy a few months ago.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#1793 » by Saberestar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:03 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:

Rubio
Booker
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton

Payne
Carter
Kennard
Saric
Baynes

Not that I know of. He did have knee tendinitis this past year but was ready to go and completely healthy a few months ago.

Bilateral knee tendinitis that needs around 6 months to make a full recovery is concerning to me.

Every player can get injured at any time, not a player's fault at all, but this injury can be more of a chronic problem that can appear multiple times during his career. In that case his value and potential decrease considerably.

I expect that the Suns medical staff will look closely at this injury if Kennard is available again in trade talks with the Suns. Woj said in February that the package for Kennard was Carter, Okobo and our first round pick (#10).
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#1794 » by cberry78 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:Doesn't Kennard have some serious injury concerns though? Like long term, worse than Cam Johnson coming out of college, type of injury concerns? I thought i read as much on this forum somewhere.

Bilateral knee tendinitis that needs around 6 months to make a full recovery is concerning to me.

Every player can get injured at any time, not a player's fault at all, but this injury can be more of a chronic problem that can appear multiple times during his career. In that case his value and potential decrease considerably.

I expect that the Suns medical staff will look closely at this injury if Kennard is available again in trade talks with the Suns. Woj said in February that the package for Kennard was Carter, Okobo and our first round pick (#10).

Thank you, I remembered it being something that affected both of his legs, but couldn't recall what it was. And I agree with the rest of your post too. Chronic conditions (especially of the knees!!!) is a huge red flag to me.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#1795 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:02 pm

I like Kennard and would be cool trading for him. But I have to admit Detroit shopping him gave me pause because he should be the type you pay and is part of a rebuild. Kind of made me wonder if they know something health wise that makes them leary.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1796 » by Saberestar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 pm

cberry78 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Thank you, I remembered it being something that affected both of his legs, but couldn't recall what it was. And I agree with the rest of your post too. Chronic conditions (especially of the knees!!!) is a huge red flag to me.

Well, I want to clarify that it's not a sure thing at all that he has any chronic condition. I think that is a possibility because he has had too many injuries already in his short career and the time needed to health his knees was too long.

We will see, hopefully he works hard on his overall condition and he stays healthy for the majority of his career.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,444

Post#1797 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:06 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:Doesn't Kennard have some serious injury concerns though? Like long term, worse than Cam Johnson coming out of college, type of injury concerns? I thought i read as much on this forum somewhere.

They can definitely have Okobo in a deal for Kennard. They can even have Diallo or Jerome inclusive to the deal if they like. But we hold onto Carter for his immense defensive value, tenacity and toughness that he adds to our team at a minimum cost ( currently). If Carter is the reason and sticking point that they would balk at a Kennard trade at that point. I'd just say never mind, And grab a mid to late 2nd for
Sam Merrill. I know that I've mentioned him incessantly. But he's really about as close as you could get to Kennards current "Archetype" and at a minimal cost to us. If you do a comparison, You'll find that Merrill is pretty much almost identical in most all categories, and actually better in a few as well.

Merrill/ Kennard-
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=sam-merrill--luke-kennard

Zach Milner (@ZachMilner13) Tweeted:
Currently digging a little deeper into Sam Merrill's shooting throughout his career.

Merrill had a career 42.0 3PT%, and shot 47.8% on "Spot Up No Dribble" 3s. Incredible shooter. https://t.co/GmDwq14S6Q
Read on Twitter
?s=20

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.detroitbadboys.com/platform/amp/2020/8/11/21355657/nba-draft-2020-the-25-undrafted-free-agent-targets-who-youll-want-troy-weaver-to-know-about

Sam Merrill, SG, Utah State

Has a huge fan in DukeCityVsEverybody, a founding member of the DBB Global Scouting Network, American Division. Awesome shooter with combo guard on-ball creativity at 6-foot-5, like a righty Luke Kennard. Already 24.

Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) Tweeted:
Great chat with Utah State 6-5 guard Sam Merrill today during another ESPN Film Session. Merrill, who looked like a smaller Luka Doncic of the Mountain West for stretches this year, was one of the most efficient guards in the country. Shoots it deep, excellent PnR passer, tough.[/i] https://t.co/9qr14uAHjA
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1798 » by Saberestar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 am

Would you trade #10 and Ty Jerome for Kennard?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1799 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

It can be a chronic issue but also may not be. However, the fact that it's in both knees is probably not a good sign. They decided to rest him to let them heal in late December and apparently he was cleared to go when the season got suspended...and as of 3 months ago he felt very healthy. This might be the longest break he's had in a long while...will probably be about a year.

Maybe not the best idea but if he was healthy I think he's a really good option. I just don't think we can probably get Gordon or Lauri for him, nor am I sure we would want Gordon and his salary. He does expire in 2 years though right when Ayton and Bridges are up so that's good. But Orlando would simply just want to get rid of him and have Oubre for a year and hope they can re-sign him. I don't know if with Isaac out it will make them want to keep Gordon or not...you'd think it might but they drafted a PF last year and also signed Al Farouq Aminu...and they could like Oubre at PF too...

This past year neither Gordon or Lauri were as good as Oubre though....but I do think both would be better in new places.

I don't really see us going after those guys though and it was rumored we were after Kennard and that was after he was injured.

One positive if he did get injured again, you can just let him go too if you think he's chronic, since his rookie deal ends after this year. Mentioning those lineups I did above, he'd probably be the primary initiator, and obviousl is a great shooter.
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 483

Post#1800 » by JDJ26 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I highly doubt the Suns will trade Rubio for Chris Paul. Especially as soon as Sarver finds out how much he will have to pay Chris Paul.

Return to Phoenix Suns