2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020, 7PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD 

Post#41 » by imagump1313 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 pm

EvanZ wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Would Spurs have any interest in trading Murray+11 to GS for #2?

YES PLEASE! That would be a steal for us IMO.
Not sure why you guys would want a PG with no basketball IQ who cant shoot or pass though. And you're defense isn't that bad.

Are you really that down on Murray? He actually did start shooting legitimately this season. 2:1 A:TO ratio as well.

Unfortunately yes. IMO he seems in over his head and the clock is running. He has been given every opportunity to be the guy and still plays like a timid out of place G-leaguer. Not to mention his constant social media posts about how he is taking over the franchise while doing absolutely nothing about it on the court.

I'm one of the small percentage of fans who thinks we need to trade him before he plays his way out of any chance to get something useful for him.

He seems like a good guy overall but we have better guards. He is expendable IMO.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Post#42 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:28 pm

A couple of points:

First, DJ's new $64M/4 contract starts next season ($14.285M in the first year) so is GS absorbing it or, more likely, what's coming back?

Second, I trust Spurs scouting and development implicitly, so even though I don't think there's a huge drop off from the top two spots and those after them, if there's someone they have their eyes on at #2, so be it.

Lastly, while I'm not as down on DJ as gump is, I do see more of his points as the seasons have come and gone. The social media posts may be more youthful bravado and stepping into the intention or whatever, but yeah there's a dichotomy between the declarations and results. Maybe it's just the times we live in, but Derrick and Keldon don't do it so maybe it's a personality thing. DJ's stats across the board have improved, and as you've mentioned the assist:TO ratio is favourable, too. DJ mentioned that he and the young guys have yet to be unleashed, so there's more to come. Ok great. But while his D is terrific and his shot is more diverse and efficient, his game management / facilitating stand out as behind his other improvements. I hope he proves me wrong, but with that new contract kicking in, there will greater scrutiny whether fair or not.

I thought our new D-out, transition style in bubble games would help DJ shine but he was noticeably conservative, not driving nearly assertively enough, settling for outside shots time and again even as his P&R was better and overall D was there.

He'd likely thrive in GS run and gun style as he's good at finding the open man in transition. I think he's a score-first combo guard in a PG body and position. Derrick is the better overall facilitator but you can't have him. It's clear we do far better when we have a ball-moving PG at the helm.

Anyway, he's the only player we've so far committed to beyond 2021 (I'm sure we'll follow it with Derrick this off-season) so it would have to be a sure thing for us and the contract coming back would either have to fit our 2021 cap-saving goals or a player we want long-term or flipping said player to a third team. All of which is to say the Spurs are still high on DJ and but for a surefire player, I think he stays. Then again, bubble play was also a close scrutiny in terms of who we want to go forward with per Pop. While I don't think eight games makes or breaks a player's position with us necessarily, there were some eyebrow raising performances, both lacklustre and great. It was a huge opportunity to shine for DJ and he didn't take advantage. We'll see who we go forward with.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#43 » by EvanZ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:06 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:

A couple of points:

First, DJ's new $64M/4 contract starts next season ($14.285M in the first year) so is GS absorbing it or, more likely, what's coming back?

I think TPE can be used for this.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#44 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 am

The NBA draft forum has San Antonio on the clock in our mock draft. I'm sure we'd all appreciate some Spurs fans participating. It will probably be up for 48-72 hours.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#45 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Some info about the combine and draft:

The 2020 NBA draft will take place on November 18, 2020.

The combine is underway having started September28 and continuing to around mid-November.

Combine format:
this new combine window was designed to offer scheduling flexibility for draft-eligible prospects, facilitate added contact between players and teams, and most importantly, safely conduct medical examinations and physical testing. The process is scheduled to begin next week with a round of NBA-conducted video interviews, with each player answering the same set of 10 questions, with that footage then becoming available to all 30 teams. A second round of direct, 30-minute interview sessions between players and teams begins October 1st accounting for specific team requests, with a maximum of 20 players per team and 13 teams per player.... Teams were able to schedule interviews with players on their own in the spring, but many of the draft’s top prospects opted to limit their availability to specific teams, or not do interviews at all. So the virtual combine process theoretically helps level the playing field in that respect.

The limited in-person piece of the combine will take place over the course of October, with participating prospects asked to travel by car to their nearest geographical NBA market for in-person medical testing, measurements, strength and agility testing, and shooting drills. With prospects already scattered around the country training for the draft, this helps limit the risk of frequent travel during a pandemic, and enables prospects to take part in the all standard parts of the combine, except for five-on-five. Players are also invited to participate in standardized shooting drills per usual, although this is a piece of the combine top prospects tend to opt out of under normal circumstances.

According to a memo sent to agents by the NBPA, teams are presently permitted to watch video of draft-eligible players working out, on the condition that these are solo workouts and only one coach and one player are allowed on the court. It’s important to note that that film can either be live-streamed or pre-recorded. This is an obvious opportunity for prospects and their agents to carefully curate what they’re sending to teams, or to at least let players showcase their skills in a more comfortable environment. Within the framework of the combine, players are allowed (but not required) to record a 45-minute “Pro Day” video as part of their use of team facilities, following those same stipulations.

Given that there’s some built-in risk if a player works out or shoots poorly in the combine environment, the player-friendly option here is to self-produce workout film instead, and then distribute it to teams strategically. This allows agents to control who sees what, and in some cases try to steer players to preferred destinations where there’s mutual interest. I would expect prospects to use this opportunity to creatively market themselves to teams.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/09/22/2020-nba-draft-combine-what-you-need-to-know

As of now, person-to-person contact for interviews, medicals, and workouts is not allowed (!) but the league is looking into ways teams can observe and do their own assessments with their own people.

Seems like from the last quoted paragraph there's a lot more room for agents guiding their players to the teams they want, and for skewed presentations of those players. I hope we do get some one-on-one with guys we really like. But as always, the teams that have started the process early are best prepared. I think we started early.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#46 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:19 pm

Here's a list of participating players:
Read on Twitter

Other notable absentees include: Vassell, Patrick Williams, Pokusevski, and Bolmaro who is overseas and won't be playing in the NBA for a couple of seasons.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#47 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Some players the Spurs have zoomed with as of 29-9-2020:

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith

Precious Achiuwa
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#48 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:48 pm

Hayes:
Read on Twitter

Smith:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Achiuwa:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#49 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:31 pm

I was wondering if the Spurs fans would be interested in #6 for #11 and a protected 2021 pick?

I want the Hawks to draft Aaron Nesmith and #6 seems too high for that.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by imagump1313 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:09 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I was wondering if the Spurs fans would be interested in #6 for #11 and a protected 2021 pick?

I'm in on that if we had information that Obi Toppin would be available for sure at #6
(Mock drafts have him going anywhere from 6 to 10)
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#51 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 5:09 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I was wondering if the Spurs fans would be interested in #6 for #11 and a protected 2021 pick?

I'm in on that if we had information that Obi Toppin would be available for sure at #6
(Mock drafts have him going anywhere from 6 to 10)

Ya, Hawks can keep the pick and see if Obi falls to 6 and then just make the deal and draft Obi on behalf of the Spurs.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#52 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 4, 2020 5:20 pm

Interesting. I think it would depend on the protection of 2021 - said to be one of the strongest drafts in a while. But say we did this swap, I'd love it if either Hayes or Deni were available. Seems like there are several teams interested in making moves with their picks in this draft. I hope we get our guy(s).
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#53 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:15 pm

Given how close to the vest we keep things, I like finding out who we've reached out to even if it's due diligence.

Okoro's agent said that every team in the league, including the Timberwolves, has reached out to Okoro.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259776/Isaac-Okoro-Says-He-Should-Be-No-1-Pick-Sees-Himself-Playing-With-Timberwolves

Deni Avdija said he has yet to speak to any teams, however, in a recent interview:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Trying to post it into existence. That said, Deni has said that he hasn't yet been contacted by any teams. I think that's weird and maybe some cloaking is happening, but I suspect we know plenty about him.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#54 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Keeping up with who we've contacted or not, first, as of ten days ago:
Read on Twitter

Doesn't mean we won't, and maybe I'm reading a shape into the tea leaves that isn't there, but it is interesting we talked to Hayes - better overall game, and with Haliburton's frame, it feels like his game would be a little redundant to what we already have at PG. That said, I do think whoever drafts Tyrese will have a solid, smart, dependable pro. IF we were to add to an already strong position for BPA, Hayes is still my pick over all other PGs.

We have spoken to one Omer Yurtseven:
Read on Twitter

He wasn't on my radar, but here's a look at the best surnamed prospect since Blossomgame:
Yurtseven played at NC State and then transfer to Georgetown. With the Hoyas, he averaged 15.5 points, 9.8 rebounds and 1.5 blocks this past season. He's listed at 7'0 and is from Turkey.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/latest-spurs-draft-news-achiuwa-yurtseven-speak-with-spurs

He is working out in Elkridge, MD with on-court trainer Ben Bellucci, who runs a skills academy, and weight training with Kevin Maselka. Maselka also trained other Georgetown stars of yesteryear like Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo.

Yurtseven trains six days a week and three times a day, only taking off Thursdays. He has an intense weightlifting regimen and puts up 6-to-10,000 shots per week. Through it all, Yurtseven says he has dropped his weight from 275 pounds to 260, his body fat from 14 percent to 10 and raised his practice three-point percentage from 40 into the 70s.

In his efforts to improve defensively, Yurtseven has honed in on lateral quickness, foot speed and guarding multiple positions. He is scrimmaging with a group of pros including Admiral Schofield of the Wizards, who gives Yurtseven practice switching onto smaller forwards.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/georgetown-hoyas-omer-yurtseven-nba-draft-2020-spurs-sixers-rockets-hawks-kings-hornets

From: https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/latest-spurs-draft-news-achiuwa-yurtseven-speak-with-spurs

Omer looks slow in his movements and shooting, but it may be a function of just being a big guy and not exactly bursting with twitch muscles. Still, he maintains his balance well, can post up (has both a baby hook and a turn around J), plays up to his size, absorbs physicality, good on P&R, has a nice touch around the rim, from mid-range Js, and can stretch the floor with 3s, though he doesn't take many. He shot it abysmally this season at 21.4%, but in the season before, he connected far better, making 22 of 44. He did improve his FT rate each season, finishing at 75.3% this season on career-best 3.6 attempts. I still think that's low for a big playing 26 minutes a game, but he has the tools to get more chances and the skill to make FTs.

In that video, his D shows good understanding of where to be and read the plays developing, but I think Pop would blow a gasket at a couple of those guards driving down the middle or reversing it on him on the baseline. Still, for a 22-year-old second round prospect averaging 15.5 and 9.8 (3.8 on O), there's a good skill base with which to work.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by imagump1313 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Seems like an ok 2nd round pick.

I like that he has some actual big man moves with his back to the basket and isn't some 7.0" three point only chucker.
Seems like a better scorer than Poetl.
Less athletic than Eubanks.
What more can you ask from a 2nd rounder? :D
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#56 » by Phreak50 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:32 am

He shoots from the left side of his head, similar to Lonzo Ball's previous form. Ugh.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#57 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:55 pm

So teams will be able to meet with prospects up until two days before the draft. It doesn't necessarily mean we won't pick someone we didn't get a chance to work out. We didn't with Keldon and look how that turned out!
Read on Twitter

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I wonder how much this is teams that leapt to the top picks being caught off guard and less prepared and/or some smokescreening. All teams were caught off guard and short in their evaluations to varying degrees, but I think teams that prepare best consistently can still best make up for the gaps, even as unprecedented as pandemic interference has been.

I'm as interested in who we have reportedly not spoken to as to the players we have. Sure we need to shore up our bigs talent and less so that of our guards, yet there's a glaring dearth of info about our having spoken with any prominent wings especially 3s so far. Of course, BPA, but still...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#58 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:31 am

But then there are consistent whispers tying us to one Patrick Williams, long a favourite of mine for us.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHhHhHHHhHhHhHh!!! Don't nobody spoil this coming together for us!

11. Spurs: Patrick Williams, F, Florida State

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/10/14/nba-mock-draft-projections-post-finals

11. San Antonio Spurs: Patrick Williams (Florida State, SF/PF, Freshman)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912058-2020-nba-mock-draft-simulating-3-trades-in-historically-unpredictable-lottery

11. San Antonio Spurs - PATRICK WILLIAMS Wing, Florida State, freshman

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/#mock

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020 

Post#59 » by G R E Y » Mon Nov 2, 2020 5:53 pm

An interactive virtual get together for the draft!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020 

Post#60 » by G R E Y » Mon Nov 2, 2020 6:02 pm

Well well well... perhaps there is something to the the rumours of our moving up in the draft:

REPORT: Spurs work out projected top draft pick Deni Avdija
Read on Twitter

He is listed as at 6-foot-9, 210-pound dynamic forward who averaged 9.0 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 7 blocks last season in the Euroleague.

"Avdija is a smooth, savvy playmaker at the wing. He creates for his teammates and should develop into a very good distributor for a forward," Yahoo! Sports James Ham says. "He’s crafty in the pick-and-roll, both as an initiator and as the roll man. He can score in the post and even back down smaller defenders. Avdija also has a soft touch around the rim although his range still is yet to be defined."

He did compliment the Spurs for being a great organization and doing its part to usher in foreign players into the NBA.

"Gregg Popovich is a great coach," he said. "He's been in the NBA for many years."

Said Avdija: "The Spurs are a great organization. Wherever I go I'm grateful and I'm blessed but it would be funny for sure."

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/report-spurs-work-out-projected-top-draft-pick-deni-avdija

OH YEAH!

Update on word of some players the Spurs have evaluated, zoomed with and / or worked out as of 2-11-2020:

Trevelin Queen

Isaiah Stewart

Daniel Oturu

Killian Hayes

Jalen Smith

Precious Achiuwa

Omer Yurtseven

Deni Avdija
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs