ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft Thread, Part 2

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#81 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:Deni is interesting, but the free throw shooting is a valid concern. It's rare someone with that low a free throw shooting percentage becomes a knock down shooter. I'm not wild about anyone in the draft, but I do believe that the wings and guards in this draft are more likely to be useful off the bat than Wiseman will be. And some of them you can get while trading down and picking up a valuable asset and preserving the MLE for a big or 3/4, whichever you don't get in the trade down scenario.

Patrick Williams shot 84% from the free throw line. Just sayin...
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#82 » by xdrta+ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:02 pm

delete
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#83 » by xdrta+ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:You can get size cheap in free agency that will be more impactful than Wiseman will be this year. Gasol, even in his old age, will be a better defender than Wiseman and he's a brilliant passer and passable three point shooter. Same goes for Baynes. You can give MLE money to Jakob Poetl or Miles Plumlee and get more productivity and reliable playoff level defense out of either one of those guys than Wiseman in his rookie year.

Please, not a washed up Gasol. The only guy on your list I would consider is Poeltl, who is a RFA, and as well as he played in the bubble, SA is likely to hang onto him.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#84 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:04 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:You can get size cheap in free agency that will be more impactful than Wiseman will be this year. Gasol, even in his old age, will be a better defender than Wiseman and he's a brilliant passer and passable three point shooter. Same goes for Baynes. You can give MLE money to Jakob Poetl or Miles Plumlee and get more productivity and reliable playoff level defense out of either one of those guys than Wiseman in his rookie year.

Please, not a washed up Gasol. The only guy on your list I would consider is Poeltl, who is a RFA, and as well as he played in the bubble, SA is likely to hang onto him.

An again Gasol will still be better than Wiseman next year. He'd only have to play 15-20 minutes game. He averaged 26 for Toronto this year. We still probably go small with Draymond at the center in crunch time anyway. Gasol takes the beating against bigger guys, soaks up minutes in the regular season, and is a great mentor for someone like Chriss. He's fine at the MLE.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#85 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:05 pm

I have faith in Myers and the scouts. IF Wiseman is anywhere close to the hype in person or after a thorough look...they should probably take him. Especially if he shows the ability to defend the outside at all.

So all the hype tapes and highlights won't' affect Warriors selection. Hopefully they'll instantly ask him to guard a wing....then they'll ask him to score to ten points while guarded by Draymond :)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#86 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 pm

The Warriors ask themselves: Do they draft a player who's ready to contribute (Or at least has 1-2 elite skills) to help Curry, Thompson and Green to prolong their post-season action? Or draft a project (WISEMAN) who's going to take time to learn more about his physical abilities and then learn the offensive schemes and what have you?

To me, I don't see any issues with taking either route. You get a prospect who's mature and ready to contribute now or a young player who has some elite skills (e.g., top-notch all-around defense, lights-out shooter, passing skills). They will naturally (within a couple games) figure out and know their role as they get integrated in their motion/passing offense and upkeep their defensive principles/strategies.

As for drafting a project like Wiseman, the team's game plan will still be the same, but you have a 7'1" center who will just be there to block shots, rebound, rim-runner, and just be a presence in the paint -- Just like the past centers we had in Javale and Bogut. Again, only knock is to teach this young gun the system and have him develop his skills overtime. Will or does the team have time for that? Just better hope Wiseman has a solid work ethic and high bball iq to prove others he's just no 7 ft athletic player.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#87 » by northoakland510 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
You can get size cheap in free agency that will be more impactful than Wiseman will be this year. Gasol, even in his old age, will be a better defender than Wiseman and he's a brilliant passer and passable three point shooter. Same goes for Baynes. You can give MLE money to Jakob Poetl or Miles Plumlee and get more productivity and reliable playoff level defense out of either one of those guys than Wiseman in his rookie year.

Deni is interesting, but the free throw shooting is a valid concern. It's rare someone with that low a free throw shooting percentage becomes a knock down shooter. I'm not wild about anyone in the draft, but I do believe that the wings and guards in this draft are more likely to be useful off the bat than Wiseman will be. And some of them you can get while trading down and picking up a valuable asset and preserving the MLE for a big or 3/4, whichever you don't get in the trade down scenario.

Gasol looked about done, he will have to come dirt cheap. I still do not think you pass up on a talent like Wiseman to get a veteran big man. The Warriors have to eventually develop a big and there is one at the top of the draft. Cheap size is nice and all but they will be one year rentals. I just feel like we will use the #2 pick like we used the late round picks and end up with a role player with no real upside.

Wiseman won't be useful next year in the playoffs. If you want to a win championship next year, you have to plan for the fact that it will be a miracle if Wiseman is able to play crunch time minutes. He's a project at this point. We are developing two bigs right now: Chriss and Smailagic. I think Smailagic is likely to ended up a wasted roster spot and I'd almost prefer he becomes part of a trade for an NBA ready player, but my point stands.

Size is cheap in the NBA right now. Kanter, Baynes, Looney all signed for about $5 million last year. DeAndre is getting $10 million a year and he's considered overpaid. Whiteside is making $22 million a year right and I don't think he'll get more than the MLE this year. The only guys worth paying more than $10 million a year are bigs who can play defense and shoot threes. The mid tier has some guys like Turner, Valicunas, Ibaka, and Gasol (although he has fallen off some). The high level tier is AD, Embiid, Porzingis, Towns, Jokic.

I just don't see Wiseman being as good as the mid-tier of Turner/Valicunas until at least his third year in the league, which means you still need another big C until then, which means we also probably can't use the MLE on a big wing, which should be a much bigger priority for this team. If you really want to develop a project big, you can still find interesting ones in the back of the draft. Mitchell Robinson was near the end of the first round. So was Gobert. Jokic was a second round pick. Whiteside was too. Robert Williams in Boston was drafted 27. Brandon Clarke in Memphis was drafted at the 21st pick. If you want to take a flier on a big, don't do it at the top of the draft unless they look to be generationally talented like Emiid or Towns or AD.

Look at the last teams standing right now and their bigs: Harrell was the 32nd pick in the draft. Zubac was the 32nd pick in the draft. Daniel Theiss is 6'8 and undrafted out of the German leagues. Robert Williams was the 27th pick in the draft. Kanter was the 4th pick in 2011 and he's unplayable on defense and only makes MLE money. Javale took 8 eight years to figure out how to play on winning teams. AD is an anomaly. Dwight just got excised from the rotation against Houston. Houston didn't have bigs. Miami has Bam and he went #14 overall. He had way better feel for the game than Wiseman did and is more comparable to Okungwu. Jokic was a second round pick. Mason Plumlee was the 22nd pick. Not one of those guys, save for Theiss and Adebayo to a lesser extent, came into the league ready to plug and play in the playoffs. Every single one of them took years to develop. We don't have that luxury at the C spot right now.

I really do not see why they do not have the luxury to develop a center. The core 3 are not getting any younger, and you can't just keep trading for vets.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#88 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:31 pm

northoakland510 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
Gasol looked about done, he will have to come dirt cheap. I still do not think you pass up on a talent like Wiseman to get a veteran big man. The Warriors have to eventually develop a big and there is one at the top of the draft. Cheap size is nice and all but they will be one year rentals. I just feel like we will use the #2 pick like we used the late round picks and end up with a role player with no real upside.

Wiseman won't be useful next year in the playoffs. If you want to a win championship next year, you have to plan for the fact that it will be a miracle if Wiseman is able to play crunch time minutes. He's a project at this point. We are developing two bigs right now: Chriss and Smailagic. I think Smailagic is likely to ended up a wasted roster spot and I'd almost prefer he becomes part of a trade for an NBA ready player, but my point stands.

Size is cheap in the NBA right now. Kanter, Baynes, Looney all signed for about $5 million last year. DeAndre is getting $10 million a year and he's considered overpaid. Whiteside is making $22 million a year right and I don't think he'll get more than the MLE this year. The only guys worth paying more than $10 million a year are bigs who can play defense and shoot threes. The mid tier has some guys like Turner, Valicunas, Ibaka, and Gasol (although he has fallen off some). The high level tier is AD, Embiid, Porzingis, Towns, Jokic.

I just don't see Wiseman being as good as the mid-tier of Turner/Valicunas until at least his third year in the league, which means you still need another big C until then, which means we also probably can't use the MLE on a big wing, which should be a much bigger priority for this team. If you really want to develop a project big, you can still find interesting ones in the back of the draft. Mitchell Robinson was near the end of the first round. So was Gobert. Jokic was a second round pick. Whiteside was too. Robert Williams in Boston was drafted 27. Brandon Clarke in Memphis was drafted at the 21st pick. If you want to take a flier on a big, don't do it at the top of the draft unless they look to be generationally talented like Emiid or Towns or AD.

Look at the last teams standing right now and their bigs: Harrell was the 32nd pick in the draft. Zubac was the 32nd pick in the draft. Daniel Theiss is 6'8 and undrafted out of the German leagues. Robert Williams was the 27th pick in the draft. Kanter was the 4th pick in 2011 and he's unplayable on defense and only makes MLE money. Javale took 8 eight years to figure out how to play on winning teams. AD is an anomaly. Dwight just got excised from the rotation against Houston. Houston didn't have bigs. Miami has Bam and he went #14 overall. He had way better feel for the game than Wiseman did and is more comparable to Okungwu. Jokic was a second round pick. Mason Plumlee was the 22nd pick. Not one of those guys, save for Theiss and Adebayo to a lesser extent, came into the league ready to plug and play in the playoffs. Every single one of them took years to develop. We don't have that luxury at the C spot right now.

I really do not see why they do not have the luxury to develop a center. The core 3 are not getting any younger, and you can't just keep trading for vets.

Again, you can develop a center. We already are with Chriss and Smailagic, regardless of what you think of them. What I said is that I don't think it makes sense to take a development project center with the #2 pick when you look at the centers still standing in the playoffs, most of whom were drafted outside of the lotto and took a while to develop. My point is that if you want to develop a project center, it makes more sense do that with a pick later in the draft where you will still find really interesting players.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#89 » by whatisacenter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm

jason bourne wrote:
Did Wiseman dunk over a woman player?

go back to 1950
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
MintFresh
Junior
And1: 195

Post#90 » by MintFresh » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 pm

Deni with subpar 50% free throw shooting is a major red flag. Nope pass on him
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#91 » by Mav_Carter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:40 pm

I don't know how anyone can view that clip of Wiseman and be impressed...he'd not explosive or athletic at all...skilled for a 7 footer?...sure...
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#92 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
I know he had his flaws, but in those limited minutes it worked well. Definitely could have used him in the finals against Toronto where our undersized big's couldn't protect the rim.

Yea I agree he would have helped. The threat for lobs and put backs would have been better than a limited cousins. Also cousins was a ball stopper and turnover machine. Mcgee playing those minutes wpuld mean a more fluid offense.

Now imagine a souped up version who can stay on the floor for 30 min a night

The issue I have with the overhyping of Wiseman is people just assuming he'll be better as a rookie than prime Javale was. It took Javale eight years to get to the point where he was capable of playing minutes on a contender. He played meaningful minutes for Denver when he was a younger, but he was exploitable and Karl didn't trust him all that much. It took one of the most athletic 7 footers to ever walk this planet nearly a decade to figure out how to play within himself and not get burned too often on defense. And even then, Kerr only felt comfortable giving Javale 10 minutes a game. Those minutes decreased in the playoffs too.

Javale is a pretty smart guy by all accounts. His basketball IQ can be spotty, but he's definitely not a moron. I'm sure Wiseman isn't a moron either, but the videos of I've seen of his college games don't scream high basketball IQ. The only game he played against decent competition was against Oregon and the game tape has several instances of Wiseman making terrible defensive reads on how high to hedge and how to properly rotate. That's against college level guards. You really think a rookie Wiseman is going to be able to stay on the floor in the playoffs? Luka, Harden, Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Paul George, Khawi, Lebron, Ja Morant, Lillard, Chris Paul, SGA... you'll have to face one of those guys in any playoff series in the West and they're going to attack Wiseman and he'll be lucky to play 15 minutes a game in the playoffs as a rookie. He sure as hell won't be sniffing the floor in crunch time.

If you want to take Wiseman, you have to be honest with yourself and recognize he's going to be a project. That project could be interesting -- he's massive, he's a fluid athlete, and he seems to be pretty skilled at shooting and handling for a guy his size -- but nothing in his past screams NBA ready outside of his body. You draft Wiseman and you'll need another vet C in the rotation. Looney is awesome when he's healthy, but he's not cut out for bruising with the more tanky C's. I like Chriss and am intrigued by watching his development play out, but he's not a bruiser either. You're not going to have your biggest and beefiest C be a rookie. That just doesn't work when you might have to go up against Jokic or Anthony Davis deep in the playoffs.

Wiseman could be interesting, but I do not for the life of me understand how people on this board have talked themselves into the idea that he'll be a souped up Javale or the equivalent of a present day DeAndre Jordan or Hassan Whiteside as a rookie. All of those guys took years to get to the point where they were useful players on winning teams. If you want to compare Wiseman to bigs who were drafted higher like Ayton, Towns, or Davis, well even those guys weren't good defenders as a rookies. It took Davis two years for his defensive impact to match up with the counting stats. Towns still sucks on defense and he's a pretty good athlete and highly skilled player. Ayton only just started to figure it out defensively in the bubble.

Y'all gotta chill with the Wiseman hype.

I do agree he will be a project and will most likely struggle in the playoffs. I think if he is the pick, he would make a solid rotation with Looney as a rook, though. But yea, I do expect him to be able to do the same type of stuff offensively Javale did as a warrior, even in his first year. Defense is the bigger issue, you are correct that most rookie bigs and rookies in general will need work defensively and may even take years to develop on that end. However, Chriss and Smail are not the answer at center. I would much rather roll the dice on wiseman than to rely on either of those guys to become starting level at the five spot. Unless they are trading the #2, the player we draft will be a project regardless. I think Wiseman by mid sophomore year can be more impactful than mcgee was for us. Honestly, its not a high bar to meet. Javale coasted on his athleticism and size. Wiseman by comparison is more refined of a player.

I just want BPA. That's all that matters to me.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#93 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:53 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

Again, you can develop a center. We already are with Chriss and Smailagic, regardless of what you think of them. What I said is that I don't think it makes sense to take a development project center with the #2 pick when you look at the centers still standing in the playoffs, most of whom were drafted outside of the lotto and took a while to develop. My point is that if you want to develop a project center, it makes more sense do that with a pick later in the draft where you will still find really interesting players.

HOFers David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwan, and Tim Duncan (to list a few dominant 4s/5s) came into their rookie seasons averaging at least 20 ppg, 10 rppg, and 2 bpg. Do you guys really think he'll amass that much success his first go-around in his rookie season? Is that expectation set from those wanting to draft him? It's highly unlikely seeing how raw he is and limited he is, skill-wise.

I'd say he has the potential to take the KG or Andrew Bynum route where it'll take 2-4 seasons for him to understand the game and come into his own. If that's the case, Curry, Thompson, and Green are just about past their prime and we won't be competing in the post-season. Only good thing (Could be bad) is that Wiseman will be the future of the Warriors but on a rebuilding team. But, if Wiseman is just your typical 7ft athletic 5, then, retrospectively, we shouldn't have drafted him. But, we took a chance on him and it fell flat on our faces..
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#94 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

Pick BPA, if it is wiseman take him, if its ball, deni, or whomever, take him. I don't believe in making blanket statements regarding the draft. Bam, Jokc, AD are all star bigs though and have shown to be impact players for strong teams. If the warriors view wiseman as a guy who can impact the game at a high level, why not take him #2 than to take an even bigger risk drafting a player much later in the draft?
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#95 » by Little Digger » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:08 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I have faith in Myers and the scouts. I

)

Our lead Euro scout is generally considered to most knowledgeable basketball person in the world

Clark Kent Lacob
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#96 » by ShayDee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Draft seniors or 22 y/os Bane will make first team. Bob just do it
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#97 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Nunn getting minutes in the ECF for the Heat.

Someone in the Warriors front office should be getting some heat (no pun intended) for not recognizing Nunn.

Or did they really want to draft Poole that bad?
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#98 » by ShayDee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:15 pm

wco81 wrote:Nunn getting minutes in the ECF for the Heat.

Someone in the Warriors front office should be getting some heat (no pun intended) for not recognizing Nunn.

Or did they really want to draft Poole that bad?

Nunn was part of the legendary 2018 draft that went undrafted. I remember him being part of the leading scorers in NCAA along with Trae Young. He was in the warriors gleague squad in 2018-2019 I think but the heat signed him after that season
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#99 » by TB » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:27 pm

I'm not sure what any of these guys can provide year one, and I know I want to get Steph and company as much help asap as possible for 1 more ring chase....

So my preferred option would be a trade back in lotto to get a top 7 rotation guy and draft Pokusevski. Anything past that and I don't think the draft pick would be worth giving up the chance at Wiseman or Edwards. I simply think Poku is as good a prospect so i'd roll the dice on him while picking up a sure thing rotation piece. Here's my targets, not sure how i'd rank them. And obviously some might require different assets going one way or the other.

Bulls - Carter. Perfect starting center next to Dray.
Detroit - Kennard. Perfect 6th man that can initiate offense and shoot lights out.
Knicks - Robinson. Him and Chriss would be a perfectly adequate center tandem.
Suns - Oubre. Great 6th man that can defend 2-4 without a problem. Might be better than Wiggins.
Pelicans - Jrue. This one is complicated and requires Wiggins going that way. So i'd want Hart as well. Probably give up our 2021 as well.
Boston - Smart. Doubt they would even think about doing this. But ya, he'd be fantastic.

I'm overvaluing Poku for sure, but in a draft where there really isn't a sure thing, i'm willing to go with the youngest player who happens to also have the best natural iq/passing ability outside of maybe Ball or hali.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#100 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 am

The issue with any 7 foot big is that the death lineup didn't feature 5s because the speed can't be the same and the switching can't be the same. Bogut and Zaza and McGee had value no question ... but they were not closers.

Like I've been saying all along if they think Wiseman is the BPA then draft him, but if it's a tie I hope they pass on Wiseman.

Return to Golden State Warriors