ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2521 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:18 pm

One potential wrinkle in this draft is that there's been so much time off that these guys are all working out privately for an extended period, so it could really throw teams own mocks into the trash.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#2522 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:18 pm

provecy15 wrote:I'm also impressed with Zeke Nnanji. This guy could be a hybrid of Serge Ibaka/Joakim Noah. With Gasol likel gone, and Serge likely coming back, but getting older, Nanji could be the future C of the Raptors. I like his motor, his mobility, his midrange jumpshot (looks like potential for a 3pt shot).

More than anything I like the upside.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#2523 » by Dalek » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Just thinking about how Boston selected Tremont Waters last year at pick 51. That guy was the starting PG over Skylar Mays last year at LSU. He is 5'9" and skinny, but he was a pretty awesome as a freshman at LSU and ended up the G-League ROY.

Just thinking about pick 59 and if Markus Howard is available, you have to think about it. Even if he is a similar size to Waters the guy was the best scorer in the NCAA on great percentages. That has to warrant a pick. Maybe he will go even higher.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#2524 » by Dalek » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:52 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
provecy15 wrote:I'm also impressed with Zeke Nnanji. This guy could be a hybrid of Serge Ibaka/Joakim Noah. With Gasol likel gone, and Serge likely coming back, but getting older, Nanji could be the future C of the Raptors. I like his motor, his mobility, his midrange jumpshot (looks like potential for a 3pt shot).

Nanji does everything fairly well, but he doesn't have a great wingspan (7'1") or vertical but he has a good motor. I don't think he will end up a C with that length, but he is a decent bench PF with some potential scoring upside. It is weird that Arizona didn't really make him play far from the basket because he should have attempted way more three pointers.

I could see Nnaji as a stretch PF and if everything clicks on offense maybe he could be the next John Collins. The rub with Collins is despite his great offense I don't think his defense makes him a top 300 player. Don't know how Toronto would view a prospect like Nnaji.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,913

Post#2525 » by T-d0t » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:56 pm

So what's the rationale of trading down? Is the draft looking weak but deep?
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#2526 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:58 pm

Dalek wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Nanji does everything fairly well, but he doesn't have a great wingspan (7'1") or vertical but he has a good motor. I don't think he will end up a C with that length, but he is a decent bench PF with some potential scoring upside. It is weird that Arizona didn't really make him play far from the basket because he should have attempted way more three pointers.

I could see Nnaji as a stretch PF and if everything clicks on offense maybe he could be the next John Collins. The rub with Collins is despite his great offense I don't think his defense makes him a top 300 player. Don't know how Toronto would view a prospect like Nnaji.

I think if you put Nnaji at 4 you remove everything that makes him special.

He’s a super mobile center defensively who will probably be a good shooter and should be used as such. He won’t ever be a high blocks guy but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good rim protector.

Developing nnaji at the 5 could have special player but like you said he doesn’t really do anything special at the 4 when you have guys like Tatum and Siakam there
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2527 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:53 am

T-d0t wrote:So what's the rationale of trading down? Is the draft looking weak but deep?

I think the most common reason is because they believe it's better to have multiple early second round picks than a late first. I'm not sure if it's a weak draft but it definitely seems pretty flat in talent level overall. There seems to be some talent in the early to mid second round that is comparable to the late first round guys (e.g. Tillman, Reed is projected to go 2nd round on most mock drafts). There's a few teams that have multiple second round picks so people are wondering if those teams would be interested in making a trade with us for our first.

I personally would rather make some sort of package with our 1st and 2nd to move up. I think it's pretty clear we need the best offensive prospect we can get our hands on.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,138

Post#2528 » by Mark_83 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
T-d0t wrote:So what's the rationale of trading down? Is the draft looking weak but deep?

I think the most common reason is because they believe it's better to have multiple early second round picks than a late first. I'm not sure if it's a weak draft but it definitely seems pretty flat in talent level overall. There seems to be some talent in the early to mid second round that is comparable to the late first round guys (e.g. Tillman, Reed is projected to go 2nd round on most mock drafts). There's a few teams that have multiple second round picks so people are wondering if those teams would be interested in making a trade with us for our first.

I personally would rather make some sort of package with our 1st and 2nd to move up. I think it's pretty clear we need the best offensive prospect we can get our hands on.

Who is the guy to move up for though?

Only players I would want to trade up for in the draft are in these tiers:

Edwards
Halliburton
Okongwu

Vassell
Nesmith
Bey
Lewis

Maxey
Achiuwa
Terry

If all those guys are gone I'm not really in love with anyone at 29. I would move it for Sac's 35 and 43 and pick 2 guys from our often-mentioned lists.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#2529 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Dalek wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

I think if you put Nnaji at 4 you remove everything that makes him special.

He’s a super mobile center defensively who will probably be a good shooter and should be used as such. He won’t ever be a high blocks guy but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good rim protector.

Developing nnaji at the 5 could have special player but like you said he doesn’t really do anything special at the 4 when you have guys like Tatum and Siakam there

Nnaji is not only a five but a traditional 5. For better and for worse. Browne ain't stopping the Nnaji post up turaround pop shot...
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#2530 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:37 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:

Look where we got OG and Paskal. I will gladly take the the number 29 with our scouts. In this draft you do your homework, make your picks and hope they can get into games next year and if not can learn something from Jama. Fred and Paskal were lucky to be grads of Stackhouse.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#2531 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:05 am

Mark_83 wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:

Who is the guy to move up for though?

Only players I would want to trade up for in the draft are in these tiers:

Edwards
Halliburton
Okongwu

Vassell
Nesmith
Bey
Lewis

Maxey
Achiuwa
Terry

If all those guys are gone I'm not really in love with anyone at 29. I would move it for Sac's 35 and 43 and pick 2 guys from our often-mentioned lists.

I want to select Theo Maledon. It sounds like he's dropping more and more so maybe we can grab him at 29 but I'd be more comfortable spending our second round pick to secure him earlier in the draft.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#2532 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:12 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:

Look where we got OG and Paskal. I will gladly take the the number 29 with our scouts. In this draft you do your homework, make your picks and hope they can get into games next year and if not can learn something from Jama. Fred and Paskal were lucky to be grads of Stackhouse.

We were lucky to get OG though. He was the guy we wanted but it was more likely that he wouldn't drop to us (still can't believe the Pacers passed on him). Obviously it worked out nicely but if it meant to spend a second round pick to secure him earlier, I would have been all over that at the time (I really wanted him lol).

Pascal I can agree with. He was our main target for our second 1st round pick (27th pick) and it was unlikely that he would be selected before that so it made sense to sit tight.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,813

Post#2533 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:33 am

Dalek wrote:Just thinking about how Boston selected Tremont Waters last year at pick 51. That guy was the starting PG over Skylar Mays last year at LSU. He is 5'9" and skinny, but he was a pretty awesome as a freshman at LSU and ended up the G-League ROY.

Just thinking about pick 59 and if Markus Howard is available, you have to think about it. Even if he is a similar size to Waters the guy was the best scorer in the NCAA on great percentages. That has to warrant a pick. Maybe he will go even higher.

I believe there was a post earlier where someone said the Raps had been scouting him.

I'm always hesitant with those sub six foot point guards, it's a bias I can't seem to shake. He gets buckets though, so he might be worth a look with the 59th pick.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#2534 » by Dalek » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:26 am

JShuttlesworth wrote:
Dalek wrote:Just thinking about how Boston selected Tremont Waters last year at pick 51. That guy was the starting PG over Skylar Mays last year at LSU. He is 5'9" and skinny, but he was a pretty awesome as a freshman at LSU and ended up the G-League ROY.

I believe there was a post earlier where someone said the Raps had been scouting him.

I'm always hesitant with those sub six foot point guards, it's a bias I can't seem to shake. He gets buckets though, so he might be worth a look with the 59th pick.

It is a crapshoot, but sometimes the numbers a player put up cannot be ignored. It is interesting that a lot of team's will overlook a guy because his size was iffy or he wasn't putting up crazy numbers.

Tyler Herro is only 6-5 and shot 35% from three in college. And here he is draining threes in the conference finals against Boston. He was a late lottery pick.

Jonathan Wasserman made a great point about early projection:

Read on Twitter

A guy like Isaiah Joe, who is 6-5, passes my eye test with shot creation skill and pull-up shooting. He made 207 threes in two years at Arkansas playing only 60 games and being hurt for a chunk of them.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Similarly, Ty-Shon Alexander passes my eye test on offense and defense being probably the best point-of-attack defender in this draft class. He also has an emerging offense that is centered on his shot-making 81 made threes on 40% shooting is all you can ask for. Maybe he is not as quick twitch as Joe, but he is strong enough to play in the NBA now.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#2535 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 am

Dalek wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

It is a crapshoot, but sometimes the numbers a player put up cannot be ignored. It is interesting that a lot of team's will overlook a guy because his size was iffy or he wasn't putting up crazy numbers.

Tyler Herro is only 6-5 and shot 35% from three in college. And here he is draining threes in the conference finals against Boston. He was a late lottery pick.

Read on Twitter

A guy like Isaiah Joe, who is 6-5, passes my eye test with shot creation skill and pull-up shooting. He made 207 threes in two years at Arkansas playing only 60 games and being hurt for a chunk of them.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Similarly, Ty-Shon Alexander passes my eye test on offense and defense being probably the best point-of-attack defender in this draft class. He also has an emerging offense that is centered on his shot-making 81 made threes on 40% shooting is all you can ask for. Maybe he is not as quick twitch as Joe, but he is strong enough to play in the NBA now.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Am I crazy or does Isaiah Joe look better than Aaron Nesmith?
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2536 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
Dalek wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Not crazy I got Joe ranked higher too
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#2537 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

I don't have the time now to dive in to compare the two but I think a huge difference is that Nesmith has the size to play the 2 and 3 where as Joe looks like he'll only be able to play 2. That being said, if we are only looking at them as shooters, Joe looks more complete as a shooter. Also aesthetically, Isaiah Joe's game looks so cool. lol

edit: words
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2538 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:17 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:Am I crazy or does Isaiah Joe look better than Aaron Nesmith?

I don't have the time now to dive in to compare the two but I think a huge difference is that Nesmith has the size to play the 2 and 3 where as Joe looks like he'll only be able to play 2. That being said, if we are only looking at offence, Joe looks more complete as a shooter. Also aesthetically, Isaiah Joe's game looks so cool. lol

I think Joe will be able to play 3 after a couple years of nba strength and conditioning

Also think they are significantly far apart as defenders. Joe I’d project as postive (good team defense) and Nesmith as negative (poor defensive feel)
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#2539 » by Psubs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:51 am

JShuttlesworth wrote:

He'd be like IT but more of a pure shooter like Matt Thomas. I'm confident that he could hit an open shot on the bench mob.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#2540 » by Psubs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:53 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:

Paul Watson graduated Phi Beta Jama!

Return to Toronto Raptors