Sixers new HC search thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#361 » by VDT » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:00 am

Arsenal wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:He is a system coach. They trade away Capela because he wanted do it, this guy is the worst fit in the NBA for this team.

It is like Horford the last year, a terrible decision

If he is a "system coach" why was his system radically different in Phoenix vs. Houston?

The pace is different (compared to their era) , but both systems revolve around the mvp caliber ball handler, running pnrs, having the bigs as screen setters and rim runners, dislike of post touches etc. There are differences based on the different rosters but the principles are not different. Every time he couldnt run a similar offense due to his stars having a different playstyle he disappointed.

I dont really see Simmons as a D Antoni guy either in terms of ball handling. Hawks and Suns would be the best teams for him. They have the players he likes (especially the Hawks) and they are still in the lottery so they have room for improvement which will make him look good.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,132

Post#362 » by Arsenal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 am

VDT wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Lou_23 wrote:He is a system coach. They trade away Capela because he wanted do it, this guy is the worst fit in the NBA for this team.

It is like Horford the last year, a terrible decision

If he is a "system coach" why was his system radically different in Phoenix vs. Houston?

The pace is different (compared to their era) , but both systems revolve around the mvp caliber ball handler, running pnrs, having the bigs as screen setters and rim runners, dislike of post touches etc. There are differences based on the different rosters but the principles are not different. Every time he couldnt run a similar offense due to his stars having a different playstyle he disappointed.

I dont really see Simmons as a D Antoni guy either in terms of ball handling. Hawks and Suns would be the best teams for him. They have the players he likes (especially the Hawks) and they are still in the lottery so they have room for improvement which will make him look good.

Houston runs the least amount of P&R's in the entire league, aside from us I think. Major change from Phoenix.

Houston plays now without any big after trading away Capela, so they adjusted to not having a rim runner.

Evidence for adjusting his system to his players.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#363 » by VDT » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 am

Arsenal wrote:
VDT wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Houston runs the least amount of P&R's in the entire league, aside from us I think. Major change from Phoenix.

Houston plays now without any big after trading away Capela, so they adjusted to not having a rim runner.

Evidence for adjusting his system to his players.

They used to run pnrs with Harden, now they just dont have anyone to run it with. Plus, I wouldnt call that adjusting because Houston doesnt really have a system. It's just 3 dudes parked at the 3 point line and Westbrook/Harden taking turns isoing. That's not really a system and it was certainly not D'Antoni's choice since he would have preferred to have Paul/Capella. They were also worse than last year so i fail to see how he should take any credit.

Regardless, it is obvious what things D'Antoni values in basketball and these are not the Sixers strengths. Even if one believes that D'Antoni is correct in his views, the Sixers dont have the personnel to run a system based on his philosophy. The opposite actually, the Sixers are the team that is the furthest away from him. Whenever he was on such teams (Knicks, Lakers) he has been terrible.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#364 » by rzzzzz » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:58 am

is D'Antoni the guy who knows how to build around Embiid?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Post#365 » by Mik317 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:12 am

yeah Capela was traded because of Westbrook. They needed more spacing and trading Capela did that.

still not sure Mike D is the guy to get us beyond this point tho. I think the Pelicans fit better or a more lowkey place like the Pacers.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#366 » by Skates » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:50 am

I've never been a huge D'Antoni fan because of defense, but hating on him because our roster doesn't fit his system? Whose system that is a currently relevant coach does this roster fit? The roster has to change and D'Antoni is a pretty intelligent and creative guy, I doubt he wants to go to a team like the Pacers and the Pelicans are too many years away for him, so he will at least want to look here. The roster won't be completely turned over, but somehow have Horford depart and add some athleticism and shooting on the wing and let D'Antoni see what he can make of the roster then. He does a good jo with reclamation projects as role players and we may need those next year. Not saying he is a clear cut choice, but he has to be considered.

The Ty Lue love, meh, while Kevin Love might be a big fan, clearly LeBron is not. He didn't take the Lakers job because they didn't offer enough money and years? If LeBron really wanted him, Lue would have gotten any contract he desired, end of story. Yes, he wanted him over Blatt a few years ago, rookie Euro coach was in over his head, but with a talented roster awaiting him in LA, LBJ did not make a big push to get him, that cancels out the Love from K Love in my opinion.

Donovan is my preferred choice, but Lue or D'Antoni are the more likely to get it if they want it and the owners are willing to pay. Joerger or a young coach on the rise, really, I don't know they would be any worse and one of them might surprise. Till they fix the roster no coach is going to get this team anywhere over the hump to a CHIP, and building towards a more D'Antoni friendly roster would not be the worst thing. If that doesn't work, then a rebuild around one of our guys is coming and D'Antoni or whomever and Brand will all be gone in that clean out.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,513

Post#367 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am

We need a coach who has success playing big, just as how vogel is with the Lakers. MDA is not the answer.

If MDA is our HC, give it a season or 2, I think we’d end up trading Biid and Ben for some elite guard.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#368 » by Lou_23 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 am

The NBA had never seen a team lean-in to small-ball quite like this, with the February trade of center Clint Capela to Atlanta netting them another versatile wing in Robert Covington who they hoped would be an X-factor to this approach that was executed by longtime general manager Daryl Morey. D’Antoni, sources say, had pushed for that move as much as anyone and was all-in on this approach.----The Athletic
76ciology
RealGM

Post#369 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 am

Lou_23 wrote:
The NBA had never seen a team lean-in to small-ball quite like this, with the February trade of center Clint Capela to Atlanta netting them another versatile wing in Robert Covington who they hoped would be an X-factor to this approach that was executed by longtime general manager Daryl Morey. D’Antoni, sources say, had pushed for that move as much as anyone and was all-in on this approach.----The Athletic

“Morey threw him under the bus before firing him to clear his name”
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#370 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:17 am

Rox as a franchise doesnt mind not winning the championship as long as they have atleast 2 stars on their team every night. This goes back to Hakeem and Ralph Sampson, steve francis and Yao to RW and Harden.

If you listen to Morey they believe in having a top 5 player in the league as key to winning the championship. A minset Hinkie brought to the team.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#371 » by M2J » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:30 am

Mike Dantoni will never win a title. Period. With Philly or anywhere else.

Even when he has a good defense, defense will always fail him in the end. He doesn't harp on it enough, and if you believe he left on his own. I've got a corona vaccine to sell you. It wasn't Morey, it was Fertitta who is the reason MDA doesn't have a contract currently.

I saw Dantoni in NY play with a heavy front court. Basically 3 all stars in Carmelo, Amar'e, Chandler. Also old Billups, Amar'e, Melo. It was horrible offensively.

I'm telling you now, with this roster, he will run a speed pick and roll system with Richardson and Tobias as the primary handlers. Simmons can handle in transition and find shooters, and will be the roll man. Other times he'll let Joel pick and pull from mid range or 3.

It's just not going to work on the postseason. It's going to be ugly enough at times in the regular season.

But at the end of the day, defense will not be a focus from the head coach, and it will let you down when the offense does.

He also can change his offenses, but he won't change them once they're set with the roster he has. He never adjusts his strategy. Houston could've simply increased their pace, and they have the roster to do it, and he has the know how.... But he didn't.

If the only thing you want him for, is to see if he'll make Ben shoot, then think bigger
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#372 » by agiaco » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#373 » by Sportfan73 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Trade Al for buddy and tobi+ for cj. Make sure the + isn’t shake
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#374 » by youngcrev » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:21 pm

I have a hard time seeing how Jo would fit into an MDA system, yet am also intrigued about what he'd potentially come up with. Could lead to some positive roster construction changes, as I think regardless of the coach they need a primary ball handler and shooting, but that would seem particularly necessary with MDA.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#375 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:24 am

Pompey says his source tells him MDA is the front runner...sheesh
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,132

Post#376 » by Arsenal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:36 am

I'm down w/MDA. I have confidence he'll force Ben to start shooting. Ben and everyone else. Under MDA in Houston it didn't matter whether you could shoot or not, you HAD to shoot.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#377 » by youngcrev » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:45 am

Arsenal wrote:I'm down w/MDA. I have confidence he'll force Ben to start shooting. Ben and everyone else. Under MDA in Houston it didn't matter whether you could shoot or not, you HAD to shoot.

Worth noting that Westbrook didn't. He took 3s at his lowest rate since 2012. And Capela hasn't made a 3 in his career.

It's definitely a big part of his offense, but I wouldn't expect Ben to all of a sudden start bombing 3s just because he's in town.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#378 » by agiaco » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 am

I thought I saw a tweet from Pompey that Indiana is expected to sign D'Antoni. Or is it Donvoon?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,847

Post#379 » by Stanford » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 am

MDA is such a **** Josh Harris hire
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055