Wiretap: Clippers Could Upgrade Roster via Trade Taking On Salary

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Wiretap: Clippers Could Upgrade Roster via Trade Taking On Salary 

Post#1 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 pm

What kind of trades / players could they be aiming? Is Chris Paul to the Clips NOW also part of the discussion?

I know his contract is next to impossible for the Clips to trade for...

But what kind of players/contracts can the clips take on?
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,280

Re: Wiretap: Clippers Could Upgrade Roster via Trade Taking On Salary 

Post#2 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm

Upgrade the “deepest roster”....
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,325

Post#3 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Clips do have alot of players teams will be interested in

If im Knicks im on the phone right now to acquire Shamet
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#4 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:13 pm

That's John Wall's music.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#5 » by celtics543 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Money probably doesn't work but Al Horford might help them. Having a defensive center to defend someone like Jokic would have helped them. Al may be done but he's a guy that wouldn't cost much if they'd take on his salary. Can you sign and trade Montrez for Al and a 1st or something?

The other position of need I guess would be a point guard. CP3 probably isn't happening and with no first round picks for the foreseeable future it's going to be hard to get someone quality. As far as bad contracts it's basically John Wall and I don't think they'd trade for his contract.

Going to be tough to improve the Clips. Maybe Paul George could be moved to fill some needs but that doesn't seem likely. Could they trade Doc again for a 1st round pick?
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#6 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:17 pm

Chris Paul could be an option but they'd have to fire Doc. Yeah they don't have any 1st round picks but they do have assets that could be moved for picks in a 3 team deal
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#7 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm

I would laugh if the Clippers ended up getting Westbrook. Houston looking to get rid of him and Clippers looking for another star.

Clippers can give up their 2029, 2031 FRP and Shamet and Zubac. lmao.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#8 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:That's John Wall's music.

John Wall
Westbrook

westbrook the more promising one since he doesn't have a serious injury and still has that "potential" to his name.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#9 » by kuclas » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:I would laugh if the Clippers ended up getting Westbrook. Houston looking to get rid of him and Clippers looking for another star.

Clippers can give up their 2029, 2031 FRP and Shamet and Zubac. lmao.

You cannot trade more than 7 years out per nba trade league rules last time I checked.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,285

Post#10 » by Lunartic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Trade PG/Shamet/Picks for Bradley Beal if that won't work, trade them for Khris Middleton.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#11 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Lunartic wrote:Trade PG/Shamet/Picks for Bradley Beal if that won't work, trade them for Khris Middleton.

Lmao. They won’t trade PG. he cost them their entire future. If Kawhi wasn’t so oblivious, he could of used the roster plus Shai and all those picks they traded to create a true super team. Instead, he forced the clippers to trade nearly all their assets for one guy.

Let’s imagine the clippers didn’t lose anybody, and only added Kawhi in the 2019 offseason. That team would of also made it to the second round, and if Kawhi got bounced (like he just did), he would have a lot more tools to trade for a huge upgrade.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#12 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Lunartic wrote:Trade PG/Shamet/Picks for Bradley Beal if that won't work, trade them for Khris Middleton.

Not going to happen. They are going to be forced to take on a flawed big contract star like Paul or Westbrook. The teams with guys like Beal and Middleton are going to have half the teams calling if they make their guys available.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,285

Post#13 » by Lunartic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

Lmao. They won’t trade PG. he cost them their entire future. If Kawhi wasn’t so oblivious, he could of used the roster plus Shai and all those picks they traded to create a true super team. Instead, he forced the clippers to trade nearly all their assets for one guy.

Let’s imagine the clippers didn’t lose anybody, and only added Kawhi in the 2019 offseason. That team would of also made it to the second round, and if Kawhi got bounced (like he just did), he would have a lot more tools to trade for a huge upgrade.

Oh I know, just spitballing what I think could help them next season.

Paul Gorge(new name) is a major problem, he is not a legit star and cannot be counted on to produce buckets.

And you know the saying "don't throw away good money after bad" PG is nearly bad money if you want to compete for a title.
LFAHFN22
Junior
And1: 770

Post#14 » by LFAHFN22 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:42 pm

I'm really interested in what the Clippers can do to improve this team. I genuinely believe they need a point guard, someone who can initiate the offense. This is something I've felt the team has missed the entire year. They have roughly 115M in commitments for the next season, with their notable free agents being Marcus Morris and Montrezl Harrell. I genuinely have no idea what these two will command given the uncertainty with the current climate. Morris was making 15M this year, with Harrell making another 6M.

I'm assuming Harrell will command significantly more than that having won Sixth Man of the Year. Let's say Harrell resigns with the Clippers for an average of 12M per year, and Morris returns for the same 15M per year (non-Bird rights) he was making this year.

Your assets at this point include a 33 year old Lou Williams, Patrick Beverly at 13M with an additional year at 14M, Marcus Morris at 15M, Montrezl Harrell at 12M, Ivica Zubac, and Landry Shamet. I could be biased, but I only see one of those as really being an asset (Zubac). Morris and Harrell might be assets depending on how their deals are structured, but I feel that's unlikely.

I guess if I were to summarize. . . I don't really see how they're able to upgrade this roster.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,833

Post#15 » by Duffman100 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 pm

They need someone like Lowry. It's too bad they don't really have much left to offer.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#16 » by binjumper » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

Duffman100 wrote:They need someone like Lowry. It's too bad they don't really have much left to offer.

If I am the raptors I am not making any deals with the Clips after their deliberate poaching attempts. Watch em burn.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,899

Post#17 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:That's John Wall's music.

Another high IQ, low ego player. Perfect fit for the Clippers roster.
Deathray
Junior
And1: 110

Post#18 » by Deathray » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Rondo as player/coach.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Post#19 » by NeoDragonKnight » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Don't think any team will want PG after his display this playoffs, until after next season when he picks up his player option and is an expiring...
Shamet will be someone teams will want, but he is such a bargain at his price the Clippers should hang on to him. And I don't think packaging him with PG would be worth it for other teams.
Lots of Clippers fans want to keep Lou Williams, but I think he is the most expendable and may get the best return. He is super overrated for a championship aspiring team. He is a great regular season player, but his play style is flat out is useless in the playoffs where his volume shooting and ballhogging will cost you more games then he wins, not only that but his defense is so horrid, he is unplayable at times against playoff defenses, he has proven ineffective year in year out throughout his playoffs career (he had one good playoffs last year but someone had to do all the work after the team was gutted). But he would be valuable for a playoff aspiring team that needs that kind of scoring off the bench to get into the playoffs as a low seed for the first time, ala the Raptors 2015 and Clippers last year. He honestly should have been traded this year while his value was sky high.
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 636

Post#20 » by tsirigoj » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Who should they go after? Kawhi and PG13 need ball in their hands.

Only player I can think of is CP3, but even then, there's only so much ball that can go around.

Frankly, they need a better rim protector and a better PG than Beverley. Perhaps a knock down 3 pt shooter to contend with GSW.

Return to The General Board