Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#601 » by thesack12 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 am

mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:I'd be highly disappointed if we traded Kennard for any first. I personally wouldn't trade him for 10 either.

Why?

If Detroit wants to be in the contender conversation, Kennard should be no higher than their 4th best player. Detroit currently doesn't have player 1, 2, or 3 to plug into that equation yet. So honestly, if you can get a solid 1st for him now, what's the point in paying Kennard anywhere from $12-20 mil/season to keep him? Especially with the cap likely to take a massive dive.

It will take Detroit 3-4 years to be good again, and a LOT of things have to go right between now and then. By then Kennard will be 28-29 years old. Sure his skillset will age well, but his already creaky knees won't and he's always been limited athletically to start with.

Like bstien said hes a good solid player that seems to get better every year, you dont know what the pick is going to be hes still pretty young too. We honestly dont know what his knees will do he may come back and have no issues with them. At some point your going to have to pay guys just because he isnt on a rookie deal doesn't mean he cant still be a asset.

This team shouldn't be in the business of paying up for "solid" players. This team should be in the business of collecting assets and maintaining cap flexibility. Cap space and flexibility are going to become even more crucial and valuable with the looming drop in the salary cap.

His knees could just as easily be a hamper for him for the rest of his career, or even be all but shot already. Like you said, we don't know.

By moving Luke now, you also subtract the chance of potentially being put into a vice next summer when some GM makes Luke a massive offer which puts Detroit in a bad position of either overpaying to keep him or letting him go for nothing. It only takes 1 GM to ruin your plan.

In addition, its not like we are talking trading Kennard for peanuts here either. A top 10 pick holds a very good amount of value. Mitchell, MPJ, Sabonis, Adebayo, all immediately come to mind of being taken after pick 10 in recent drafts. I know people are down on this draft and its considered poor, that said Giannis was drafted #15 in a poor draft. There are always guys taken later on, that end up have you saying "damn I wish we would have drafted him."

Actually you are trading Luke for #10 + cap space/flexibility. Because the difference between the cost of Kennard on his 2nd contract & #10's rookie contract is likely to be substantial.

With or without Kennard this team's ceiling is 30 wins or so. Why give out a big contract to maintain status quo?
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#602 » by mattao313 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 am

thesack12 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Why?

If Detroit wants to be in the contender conversation, Kennard should be no higher than their 4th best player. Detroit currently doesn't have player 1, 2, or 3 to plug into that equation yet. So honestly, if you can get a solid 1st for him now, what's the point in paying Kennard anywhere from $12-20 mil/season to keep him? Especially with the cap likely to take a massive dive.

It will take Detroit 3-4 years to be good again, and a LOT of things have to go right between now and then. By then Kennard will be 28-29 years old. Sure his skillset will age well, but his already creaky knees won't and he's always been limited athletically to start with.

Like bstien said hes a good solid player that seems to get better every year, you dont know what the pick is going to be hes still pretty young too. We honestly dont know what his knees will do he may come back and have no issues with them. At some point your going to have to pay guys just because he isnt on a rookie deal doesn't mean he cant still be a asset.

This team shouldn't be in the business of paying up for "solid" players. This team should be in the business of collecting assets and maintaining cap flexibility. Cap space and flexibility are going to become even more crucial and valuable with the looming drop in the salary cap.

His knees could just as easily be a hamper for him for the rest of his career, or even be all but shot already. Like you said, we don't know.

By moving Luke now, you also subtract the chance of potentially being put into a vice next summer when some GM makes Luke a massive offer which puts Detroit in a bad position of either overpaying to keep him or letting him go for nothing. It only takes 1 GM to ruin your plan.

In addition, its not like we are talking trading Kennard for peanuts here either. A top 10 pick holds a very good amount of value. Mitchell, MPJ, Sabonis, Adebayo, all immediately come to mind of being taken after pick 10 in recent drafts. I know people are down on this draft and its considered poor, that said Giannis was drafted #15 in a poor draft. There are always guys taken later on, that end up have you saying "damn I wish we would have drafted him."

With or without Kennard this team's ceiling is 30 wins or so. Why give out a big contract to maintain status quo?

What teams are gonna pay him crazy money with his injury concerns? Kennard putting up 14-15 and 4 ast while being a excellent shooter is well worth 12+ a year and is a asset. Like I said players are going to get paid in no way are we going to have a team full of rookie scale contract guys thats just being realistic I dont see them going the Philly route. You dont know we may draft a franchise guy and Kennard is already here as a plug in piece.

Sure picks are nice I just think Kennard is good player right now and is worth just as much as a low lotto pick in this draft thats just my opinion. The next Giannis may be in this draft but we probably with get a Thon Maker.
Championships
thesack12
RealGM

Post#603 » by thesack12 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 am

mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Like bstien said hes a good solid player that seems to get better every year, you dont know what the pick is going to be hes still pretty young too. We honestly dont know what his knees will do he may come back and have no issues with them. At some point your going to have to pay guys just because he isnt on a rookie deal doesn't mean he cant still be a asset.

What teams are gonna pay him crazy money with his injury concerns? Kennard putting up 14-15 and 4 ast while being a excellent shooter is well worth 12+ a year and is a asset. Like I said players are going to get paid in no way are we going to have a team full of rookie scale contract guys thats just being realistic I dont see them going the Philly route. You dont know we may draft a franchise guy and Kennard is already here as a plug in piece.

Sure picks are nice I just think Kennard is good player right now and is worth just as much as a low lotto pick in this draft thats just my opinion. The next Giannis may be in this draft but we probably with get a Thon Maker.

Like I said it only takes 1 GM. That GM very well could be James Jones in Phoenix if he is indeed high on Kennard as rumored.

You're right in that eventually you are going to have to pay somebody, but that definitely doesn't mean you have to pay the 1st guy when you enter the infancy of a complete ground up rebuild. Why burn all that cap space/flexibility when you first acquire it? Why burn all the cap flexibility when you are looking at being a losing team for the next several seasons?

You're certainly entitled to you opinion. My personal opinion is Kennard is definitely not worth more than #10 and the outside chance of getting a star there it represents + prolonged cap flexibility.

Also if we are going to take the standpoint that Detroit is always going to make the wrong draft pick, why keep any picks in that case? Trade them all for "solid" players.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#604 » by mattao313 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:19 am

thesack12 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Like I said it only takes 1 GM. That GM very well could be James Jones in Phoenix if he is indeed high on Kennard as rumored.

You're right in that eventually you are going to have to pay somebody, but that definitely doesn't mean you have to pay the 1st guy when you enter the infancy of a complete ground up rebuild. Why burn all that cap space/flexibility when you first acquire it? Why burn all the cap flexibility when you are looking at being a losing team for the next several seasons?

You're certainly entitled to you opinion. My personal opinion is Kennard is definitely not worth more than #10 and the outside chance of getting a star there it represents + prolonged cap flexibility.

Also if we are going to take the standpoint that Detroit is always going to make the wrong draft pick, why keep any picks in that case? Trade them all for "solid" players.

Thats not burning flexibility if he is signed to a fair contract tho. Were just maintaining an asset.

I respect your opinion.

I never said we'd always make the wrong choice but more likely than not your not gonna get a player better. You are lucky to get a starter quality player in that range which is what Kennard is already.
Championships
thesack12
RealGM

Post#605 » by thesack12 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 am

mattao313 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
mattao313 wrote:What teams are gonna pay him crazy money with his injury concerns? Kennard putting up 14-15 and 4 ast while being a excellent shooter is well worth 12+ a year and is a asset. Like I said players are going to get paid in no way are we going to have a team full of rookie scale contract guys thats just being realistic I dont see them going the Philly route. You dont know we may draft a franchise guy and Kennard is already here as a plug in piece.

Thats not burning flexibility if he is signed to a fair contract tho. Were just maintaining an asset.

I respect your opinion.

I never said we'd always make the wrong choice but more likely than not your not gonna get a player better. You are lucky to get a starter quality player in that range which is what Kennard is already.

Sure you're burning cap flexibility.

#10 pick this year (Cam Reddish) will make roughly $4.8 mil/season on his 4 year rookie contract. So its to be assumed this draft's #10 will be pretty close to those same numbers.

Unless his knees are just completely shot, in which case this is a pointless hypothetical anyways, I'm guesstimating Kennard's 2nd contract to come in around the $15/mil season mark. So you take Kennards $15 and subtract #10's $4.8, which equates to sacrificing about $10 mil/season of cap flexibility.

If healthy and depending on the new contract numbers, I agree that Kennard can still be an asset. However, Kennard on his rookie deal is far more valuable than Kennard on his 2nd contract. Is that type of asset worth more than #10 + cap flexibility, IMO no. Especially considering the state of this team.

When it comes to the draft no matter how we want to slice it or what stance we want to take, the more darts you have to throw the more your chances are of getting an impact player.

So we'll agree to disagree on this topic :)
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#606 » by ByeByeDre » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:35 am

The minute Luke fetches a first rounder, do the deal.

While we’re at it, Wood has 13 starts in his NBA career. If they can get him on a tradable deal, fine, but 4 years/40 million is a terrible idea......
mattao313
General Manager

Post#607 » by mattao313 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 am

ByeByeDre wrote:The minute Luke fetches a first rounder, do the deal.

While we’re at it, Wood has 13 starts in his NBA career. If they can get him on a tradable deal, fine, but 4 years/40 million is a terrible idea......

So he isn't even worth 10 mil/yr? Cant see him sign for less than that.
Championships
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#608 » by ByeByeDre » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 pm

mattao313 wrote:

For the Pistons, 2/20 yes, 4/40 no. If he plays well, 2/20 is tradable. If he reverts back to the way he was, 4/40 is an albatross. Wood averaged 13/6 on a lousy team. The Pistons aren’t contending anytime soon. Let some other team tie him up for four years. Detroit, at this stage, is better off trading for a bad contract with a first rounder attached.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#609 » by MotownMadness » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

For the Pistons, 2/20 yes, 4/40 no. If he plays well, 2/20 is tradable. If he reverts back to the way he was, 4/40 is an albatross. Wood averaged 13/6 on a lousy team. The Pistons aren’t contending anytime soon. Let some other team tie him up for four years. Detroit, at this stage, is better off trading for a bad contract with a first rounder attached.

Man Wood avg like 22 and 10 on efficient inside out shooting as a starter. You dont let that go because of 10 mil a year. There's not lots of bad teams with players that do that and it's not like Embiid or other centers are just letting him yam on them because of the Pistons record.

And no we dont trade Kennard for just any 1st rounder. Hes got good numbers and a year left before hes even a restricted FA. For all we know he could come out avg 20,5 and 5 next year under team control but we gave it up for some pick in the 20s like idiots.

We gotta be young but not completely gutted seeing as every year since the lottery reform teams are jumping to the top from the back of the lottery anyways.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#610 » by MotownMadness » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 pm

That was Luke the first game of the season dropping 30 off the bench. You can see how much he grew just in year 3. I would do it for a 14 and up and try another wing only because of his injury concerns but hes become a good young player who hasn't hit RFA yet.

If you can watch the video its night and day to him and videos of prospects in the late teens this year when it comes to all around play and his ability to score off the dribble. I think we give him a shot to prove he can stay on the court and see how good he is while hes still under team control (just in case we dont get ripped off). Try to late Rose for a extra pick in the late first or take on salary for one.

mattao313
General Manager

Post#611 » by mattao313 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:56 pm

If Wiseman is there at 7 do you take him?
Championships
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#612 » by ByeByeDre » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:
mattao313 wrote:So he isn't even worth 10 mil/yr? Cant see him sign for less than that.

Man Wood avg like 22 and 10 on efficient inside out shooting as a starter. You dont let that go because of 10 mil a year. There's not lots of bad teams with players that do that and it's not like Embiid or other centers are just letting him yam on them because of the Pistons record.

And no we dont trade Kennard for just any 1st rounder. Hes got good numbers and a year left before hes even a restricted FA. For all we know he could come out avg 20,5 and 5 next year under team control but we gave it up for some pick in the 20s like idiots.

We gotta be young but not completely gutted seeing as every year since the lottery reform teams are jumping to the top from the back of the lottery anyways.

Signing Wood to a four year deal and keeping Luke points to the same treadmill that the Pistons have been on. 21 and 11 as a starter? 13 Starts in four years. 40 million for 13 starts? No way.

In short, the only multi year contracts the Pistons should basically be acquiring should have first round draft picks attached to them. Yes, gut it. Why win 30 games with Luke and Wood when you can win 15 without? Tank through the Blake contract and shoot up afterwards.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#613 » by MotownMadness » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:

Signing Wood to a four year deal and keeping Luke points to the same treadmill that the Pistons have been on. 21 and 11 as a starter? 13 Starts in four years. 40 million for 13 starts? No way.

In short, the only multi year contracts the Pistons should basically be acquiring should have first round draft picks attached to them. Yes, gut it. Why win 30 games with Luke and Wood when you can win 15 without? Tank through the Blake contract and shoot up afterwards.

Nah they are young still and definitely not gonna hurt anything on 10 mil per type deal. You cant just put all your eggs in one basket like that turning down young talent. You could slip in the draft or still draft a bust or move up altogether from about anywhere in the lottery like teams have done the past two years with the new lottery system.

Or we package them later, Woods worth the gamble at the right price cause he can be crazy impactful as a starter and could be a big asset if we get him cheap and he way outlives it locked up.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#614 » by MotownMadness » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:44 pm

mattao313 wrote:If Wiseman is there at 7 do you take him?

I want Hayes but assuming hes gone causing Wiseman to drop than yeah I roll the dice on him.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#615 » by jakebernat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:09 pm

mind blowing to me that there are still people not sold on christian wood. dude is gonna be an all-star.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#616 » by jakebernat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:11 pm

If we can use him as leverage in a trade, sure, but i just see/read too much about a 7 footer wanting to play outside of his strengths, and i just can’t fathom the idea of another 5+ years of drummond-like tendencies.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#617 » by chrbal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:

Wood also put up really good numbers in 50 games as a backup. You’re not paying $40 million for “13 starts”, your paying it because that’s about market value and with his age/upside he’s pretty much an ideal 4 in the current nba.

There is no benefit to overpaying Christian Wood, but it’s worse to let him walk to tank.

As far as Luke, trading him for any first is irresponsible. If a 10-16 is available, then consider it. But if he can get back healthy, he’s pretty much an ideal wing.

Counting tony snell and the unguaranteed contracts, we’ll have 9 guys under contract next season. We easily can take on salary dump and pick contracts. But this is also a draft where good picks will probably be easily available ( buy the pick, trade future 2nds, etc).

The only way we treadmill is if after keeping Luke and resigning Christian, we decide to go all in on free agency and/or use our cap space to solve some other teams problem (Westbrook, Harris, the Clippers that get blamed).
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#618 » by bstein14 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 pm

From a post on another board, the Pistons have let it be known they are open to trading the #7 pick. Didn't sound like they are actively looking for anything specific, but it sounds like they might not be in love with that draft spot and the players they think will be there.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#619 » by MotownMadness » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 pm

bstein14 wrote:From a post on another board, the Pistons have let it be known they are open to trading the #7 pick. Didn't sound like they are actively looking for anything specific, but it sounds like they might not be in love with that draft spot and the players they think will be there.

Its from bleacher Report where any of us could hypothetical come up with scenarios. Either way they should be shopping for the hell of it to gauge the value. Doesn't mean they are dedicated to trading it but your not really doing your job if your not listening to all avenues.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#620 » by DBC10 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 pm

Thing with Wiseman is, there are a lot of questions that Drummond had when he came into the league. What the hell is he even good at? Defense? Maybe, but even we crooned on early on how much "potential" Dre had and then we all know how that turned out.

Offense? Definitely not, he seems like he is still trying to find his way and also with the Drummond comparisons early on where Dre was so raw that all he did was catch pocket passes and lobs.

I think centers who play above the rim are not en vogue right now anyways, and centers that can guard all 4 to 5 positions and occasionally hit the long ball are. If he's the next Jokic, then yes, by all means draft a center, but if he's not, then why bother?

Return to Detroit Pistons