Official Fire Doc Rivers thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Re: Official Fire Doc Rivers thread 

Post#281 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Imagine bringing this guy back as our coach next season. Former players are now openly mocking him. I doubt current players around the league respect him anymore after this meltdown either.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,162

Post#282 » by Scoundreldays » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:46 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha the ending killed me. "Y'all **** up my legacy again"

Honestly I knew we were in trouble yesterday morning when I heard he said rah rah speeches were overrated. I was thinking "Dude I get that it is not your style but in these kind of situations where you team blew multiple large leads from the previous games. You NEED a rah rah speech to pump this team up before the game, probably even during the game." Sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone to be successful.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#283 » by SK21209 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:51 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Oh yeah there was definitely a lot of backstory to it all, under normal circumstances that firing never happens. I blame AJ Smith more than anything. If we were not the best team, then even less reason to fire a head coach after a 14-2 year and close playoff loss to one of the all-time great franchises and QB's.

I also get the comparison of Marty to Doc. But the most memorable meltdowns that happened under Marty were of a different sort than the Clippers under Doc. With Marty we had 'The Fumble' which IIRC had nothing to do with a bad coaching decision. Also Marlon McCree's 4th down interception and fumble was also just a horrible mistake at the worst time by a player. You can factor in coaching into those but indirectly.

With the Clipper meltdowns in 2015 and now 2020, neither came down to 1 play or 1 single mistake. The entire team basically fell apart and Doc was not able to rally the team and turn it around. In 2020 he had an entire halftime to do it, and we still failed in the same way- the team just lost it.

The Patriots meltdown wasn't just one play either. Remember Eric Parker's muffed punt? The stupid penalties by Florence and Olivea? Marty randomly going for it on 4th and 11? Honestly, that team was shook from the opening kickoff. Marty's teams always were when it mattered.

I think Marty and AJ get equal blame. AJ was an egomaniac, but on the other hand, it's not a good look for Marty that Norv Turner (another bad coach) had more playoff success than he did with the same team.

Man, aren’t the three of us so luckY to be both Clippers and Chargers (or former Chargers) fans.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#284 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Scoundreldays wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha the ending killed me. "Y'all **** up my legacy again"

Honestly I knew we were in trouble yesterday morning when I heard he said rah rah speeches were overrated. I was thinking "Dude I get that it is not your style but in these kind of situations where you team blew multiple large leads from the previous games. You NEED a rah rah speech to pump this team up before the game, probably even during the game." Sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone to be successful.

Besides, you got to do SOMETHING to right the ship when you see your team sinking into despair and tightening up. Leaders need to LEAD.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#285 » by TucsonClip » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Tim Legler just said if he's Ballmer, he doesnt know why you wouldnt seriously look at making a coaching change.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#286 » by NickP » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
NickP wrote:It's very obvious why Doc will not be fired. No need to get into why.

Nah. Get into it.

I can only bear this much arm twisting :)
Doc has carved a niche in this league as the voice of the NBA during these troubling times. Also the role of being the voice in the entire DTS saga.
But let's not forget Doc chose to sign here knowing fully well the racist tendencies of DTS. It was common knowledge back then.
How can you fire a guy who's the activist voice for the players in these times? Doc is a snake oil salesmen. He's played his cards well.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#287 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 pm

NickP wrote:How can you fire a guy who's the activist voice for the players in these times?

You mean the same players who are openly mocking him and his team? See: Dame, CJ, Josh Smith.

If Ballmer actually buys into this narrative, it's time for him to start getting some blame for the team's underperformance. Doc's job is to coach a basketball team. His performance should be evaluated purely on his basketball team's results. If Doc still wants to be the "activist voice," I'm sure the Clippers or the league can find a way for him to do that.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#288 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Welp. I'm done watching this team until he's fired.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#289 » by og15 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:40 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe it will be like SVG with Wade and Shaq. Let's see what you do to start the season, then we'll decide. Who knows. I'm not the biggest fan of in season coaching changes though.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#290 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 pm

og15 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe it will be like SVG with Wade and Shaq. Let's see what you do to start the season, then we'll decide. Who knows. I'm not the biggest fan of in season coaching changes though.

I think Haynes is guessing going off no strong leads. No chance the front office made a decision that fast without even trying or seeing if there are any better options. It’s a spit in the face of clipper fans to bring him back again
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#291 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:44 pm

chris haynes seems to be pretty well-informed though. obviously i hope it's not true, especially with mike D out there.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#292 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 pm

TheNewEra wrote:I think Haynes is guessing going off no strong leads. No chance the front office made a decision that fast without even trying or seeing if there are any better options. It’s a spit in the face of clipper fans to bring him back again

They kept Doc after the last blown 3-1 lead, they kept him after the mess he made as GM, they kept him after the Austin situation. The Clippers haven't earned the benefit of the doubt with their coaching decisions. I totally believe this, unfortunately. For whatever reason, they are afraid to make the obvious change that has been needed for years.

Regardless, unless it's somehow all a misunderstanding and there actually is a coaching change, I'm out. I can't watch any more of this.
NickP
Rookie

Post#293 » by NickP » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:50 pm

og15 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Heat had a strong voice in Pat Riley. We have Ballmer. Big difference!
NickP
Rookie

Post#294 » by NickP » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 pm

I told you so!! He won't be fired
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#295 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Ballmer is a chicken ****.
GTFOH.
Scared to go pick another coach and having to live with the results.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#296 » by SK21209 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Certainly disappointing if true. If the FO is going to keep Doc, they have to force his hand by getting rid of Lou and Trez.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#297 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 pm

SK21209 wrote:Certainly disappointing if true. If the FO is going to keep Doc, they have to force his hand by getting rid of Lou and Trez.

What's sad is this is **** we all said years ago with different rosters.

We need to trade Jamal Crawford to force his hand.
:banghead:

This team is poised for a 50+ win season, and a 2nd round exit next year (if that) and Ballmer is agreeing to it.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#298 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 pm

SK21209 wrote:Certainly disappointing if true. If the FO is going to keep Doc, they have to force his hand by getting rid of Lou and Trez.

Like that even matters. He'll just find the next worst player(s) on the team and start overplaying them. Just like he did with Avery, Austin, washed-up Pierce, and Jamal before them. Anything the front office does now is irrelevant since they're keeping Doc.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#299 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:This team is poised for a 50+ win season, and a 2nd round exit next year (if that) and Ballmer is agreeing to it.

Honestly? I doubt it. With all the scrutiny this team will be facing, I see them underperforming in the regular season, barely squeaking into the 8th seed and losing in the first round. Doc still won't be fired afterwards because of course he won't be.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#300 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 pm

The team leave the bubble yet? I mean I thought they packed, go to LA and make exit interviews during the next couple days. After then, the management decide on what to do and PREVENT any more drama if the decision is on south. That's what professional teams do right? They Haven't had the time, the source must be pushing hard in here.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6

Return to Los Angeles Clippers