ImageImageImageImageImage

its time to talk Chris Paul

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,084

Re: its time to talk Chris Paul 

Post#361 » by Juco24 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:36 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Lmao frank and knox for a 36 year old pg. this typical knicksy moves

HAS SCOOP EVER BEEN RIGHT?
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#362 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Juco24 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yes.
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#363 » by jermsknicks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Juco24 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I am buying the 2021 Draft hype, so I would rather part with Frank than any 2021 picks. This also must mean we are drafting a PG.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#364 » by Fat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 pm

jermsknicks wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I am buying the 2021 Draft hype, so I would rather part with Frank than any 2021 picks. This also must mean we are drafting a PG.

Are or aren’t? Lol
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,267

Post#365 » by rajajackal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:13 pm

if they're trading frank, i wonder if the idea is to have dsj mentored by his idol. eugh, i get it, but that's quite a gamble. i really don't want to trade frank. just feels like a classic lack of a foresight
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#366 » by 2010 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Chris Paul just made All NBA 2nd Team. And you people loathe Knox. Yet you hate that aspect of the deal? I am disapoint.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#367 » by omerome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm

2010 wrote:Chris Paul just made All NBA 2nd Team. And you people loathe Knox. Yet you hate that aspect of the deal? I am disapoint.

Not a fan of paying Paul 38M+ a year just so he can help us win, what? 10 more games this season probably?

Pass.
RealGM

Post#368 » by 2010 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:23 pm

omerome wrote:
2010 wrote:Chris Paul just made All NBA 2nd Team. And you people loathe Knox. Yet you hate that aspect of the deal? I am disapoint.

Not a fan of paying Paul 38M+ a year just so he can help us win, what? 10 more games this season probably?

Pass.

I'm not exactly advocating for Paul to NY. I'm just saying people can't say that Knox is hot smoldering garbage but then cry when he is a main piece in obtaining an All NBA 2nd Teamer.

As for pursuing CP. I can see Leon Rose's logic, although I am not actively advocating for it. I think he and Thibs want to start fostering a winning culture and mindset. We need to be competitive like YESTERDAY. Perceptions have to change and it starts in the win column. There is no use in naming Thibs your head coach then not getting him horses. I think the idea is to start winning now while simultaneously using player development to get our kids up to speed. Kind of like a smooth handoff in a relay race.

jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#369 » by jermsknicks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
jermsknicks wrote:
Juco24 wrote:

Are or aren’t? Lol

I believe they will draft a PG that CP3 would mold. Giving up Frank and Payton would lead me to believe that. I guess DSJ is a backup, but don't think he will stick around that much longer.
StayWokeNChoke
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#370 » by StayWokeNChoke » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Wow, CP3 for a poo poo platter of NYK free agent & draft mistakes?
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,352

Post#371 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Scoob B has been right before but that deal is hilarious if you ask me.

Imagine trading away 2 young guys and 2 picks to take on 40 plus Million before trading Randle lmao. I trust all this is BS, just doesn’t make sense.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#372 » by DaGawd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:42 pm

2010 wrote:
omerome wrote:

Pass.

I'm not exactly advocating for Paul to NY. I'm just saying people can't say that Knox is hot smoldering garbage but then cry when he is a main piece in obtaining an All NBA 2nd Teamer.

As of for pursuing CP. I can see Leon Rose's logic, although I am not actively advocating for it. I think he and Thibs want to start fostering a winning culture and mindset. We need to be competitive like YESTERDAY. Perceptions have to change and it starts in the win column. There is no use in naming Thibs your head coach then not getting him horses. I think the idea is to start winning now while simultaneously using player development to get our kids up to speed. Kind of like a smooth handoff in a relay race.

I think the main prospect and reason for trading for CP3 is to mentor DSjr.. they're close off the court both being from Carolina. I remember Chris calling Dennis special too last off season and being happy he was traded to the Knicks thinking he would have a chance to break out. Obviously last year that didn't happen but having a Chris in his ear every day could really help expedite and growth Dennis could possibly make and help him realize his potential
BaF
Washington Wizards
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Post#373 » by JXL » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:00 pm

Juco24 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Rather trade 2 2nd rounders than 4 1st rounders. Also rather trade 1 young player than 2. If I had to choose 1 young player, it would be Knox.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#374 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:21 pm

2010 wrote:
omerome wrote:

Pass.

As for pursuing CP. I can see Leon Rose's logic, although I am not actively advocating for it. I think he and Thibs want to start fostering a winning culture and mindset. We need to be competitive like YESTERDAY. Perceptions have to change and it starts in the win column. There is no use in naming Thibs your head coach then not getting him horses. I think the idea is to start winning now while simultaneously using player development to get our kids up to speed. Kind of like a smooth handoff in a relay race.

So, I agree with all your takes, and why they might go for Paul etc.

But this is a risk squared or cubed.

There is the normal risk of trading for a guy who'll be 36/37 and making 40 million per
There is the inevitable "Lolz! Same old Knicks" that will IMMEDIATELY start blasting forth from BSPN and the Twitterverse
There is the risk³ of Paul going down with injury and not playing much and the Knicks will be blasted FULL TIME as a laughingstock in the media. Which nowadays seems to mean around the league, as the players seem to ingest 80% of their information from the semi informed press.

That's a helluva risk for a new POBO/FO to take
Rose's tenure could be over as it starts.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. But the heat the Knicks would take, and the blow to "reputation" and "culture" IF Paul is traded for an then has injury issues would be massive.

This thought just came to me, so anyone feel free to add. I think it's a risk too big to take now.
If Paul was 32 even, without an injury history, sure. I could see it.
But this is a guy who'll be at a pretty advanced bball age, especially for a guard, with a fairly significant injury history.

That's his last 4 years. Seems more likely he'll play 60 than 70.

Then again, while it's not that great for any player and awful for a guy making 40 million, he's add to culture when playing/practicing, and missing time will add up those losses
RealGM

Post#375 » by 2010 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
2010 wrote:
omerome wrote:Not a fan of paying Paul 38M+ a year just so he can help us win, what? 10 more games this season probably?

Pass.

There is the normal risk of trading for a guy who'll be 36/37 and making 40 million per
There is the inevitable "Lolz! Same old Knicks" that will IMMEDIATELY start blasting forth from BSPN and the Twitterverse
There is the risk³ of Paul going down with injury and not playing much and the Knicks will be blasted FULL TIME as a laughingstock in the media. Which nowadays seems to mean around the league, as the players seem to ingest 80% of their information from the semi informed press.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. But the heat the Knicks would take, and the blow to "reputation" and "culture" IF Paul is traded for an then has injury issues would be massive.

This thought just came to me, so anyone feel free to add. I think it's a risk too big to take now.
But this is a guy who'll be at a pretty advanced bball age, especially for a guard, with a fairly significant injury history.

Then again, while it's not that great for any player and awful for a guy making 40 million, he's add to culture when playing/practicing, and missing time will add up those losses

Yeah, it's definitely a risk. Rose acquiring CP is like Brodie acquiring Cano. I think the familiarity with their former client makes them comfortable taking the risk. The main difference is ultimately I don't think the Knicks will be paying the price the Mets paid to obtain the marquee name.

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#376 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 pm

2010 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
2010 wrote:

Yeah, it's definitely a risk. Rose acquiring CP is like Brodie acquiring Cano. I think the familiarity with their former client makes them comfortable taking the risk. The main difference is ultimately I don't think the Knicks will be paying the price the Mets paid to obtain the marquee name.

Good analogy with Cano\Mets

Asking for a friend - if we go through through a few years of low return for the $, will Steve Cohen be buying the Knicks?
Because that would make it all worth it
RealGM

Post#377 » by 2010 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
2010 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Asking for a friend - if we go through through a few years of low return for the $, will Steve Cohen be buying the Knicks?

Well basketball has a cap so it removes the richest owner cache. In baseball Cohen will have a much greater potential impact.

Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#378 » by Richard4444 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:So, Portis and Payton are filler and could just about be cut, and the "trade" revolves around getting the Knicks last 2 #1 picks besides RJ, and then 2 2nd round picks

Crafty by Presti as he gets a year to try and buy Frank (in this regard if Knicks aren't high on Frank, they are accelerating his exit by a year) and get Knox controlled for 2 more years. And they get TWO #2 picks in a deep draft where there isn't the same salary commitment as there is with first rounders.

I'd tell Presti to f*ck off on the following:
Frank or Know - and honestly both
The 2021 2nd rounders

Again, if the 2021 draft is the wonderful, deep, double draft, then potentially useful players will fall, at least to the high 2nd Charlotte has. Granted, less likely for the 2nd rounder the Mavs have, which will be 54ish.

*edit*
Trade smells like BS. Why does OKC want two PG's back? What purpose does taking on the salary of Portis AND Payton fulfill when they can trade Paul into the Knicks cap space? Is there any reason the Knicks would want to pick up their option just for this purpose - some subtle cap magic I'm missing?

Maybe OKC are interested in Payton and Portis and fear they cant get them as Free Agent.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
StayWokeNChoke
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#379 » by StayWokeNChoke » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
2010 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Just got a chubby at the thought of Stevie A buying the NYK and running it like his HF
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#380 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 pm

2010 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
2010 wrote:

Let's not forget the teams that can really use Paul to help get them to the next level. I can't really see Paul wanting to come here to babysit the youth movement.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.

Return to New York Knicks