ImageImage

2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#441 » by d-train » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:20 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I'm not a fan of this guy, but if Sacramento wants to move his contract, what about a S&T?

Whiteside for Barnes

Does anyone like Bjelica? The Bazemore TPE would cover his contract. That would still leave the Blazers with their MLE and BAE to use.

I like Bazemore, not Bjelica so much. I don't like Barnes at all. Plus, I think Whiteside's next contract might be around $5M/year. Don't think a S&T for a $22M contract is going to happen, especially since our budget to fill 4 roster spots is around $20M.

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Would OKC have any interest in Gallinari for Ariza, Trent Jr, Simon's, Little, and $5 million cash? Young talent, some cash, and maybe a future pick if necessary?

Then sign Crowder with the MLE.

Again, the budget for 4 roster spots is $20M. You are way overpaying for Gallo. Gallo would compete with Melo for minutes and would end up getting nothing but Melo's leftovers. I do like Crowder, but he isn't a good shooter. Having Crowder on the floor would fuel gameplan's to trap the ball, which Blazers need to avoid.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#442 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:07 am

Looks like Crowder is shooting pretty well with Miami.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,869

Post#443 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Well, I agree with d-train that Crowder isnt the type who can be even a #3 ballhandling option but that Miami team is so deep with guys from 1-5 that are above average at dribbling and passing that they can afford to have a Crowder type who just plays good defense, rebounds, switches well 2-5 and hits the open shot.

The transformation of that Miami team has been so impressive. I love that squad, all just hardworking lunch pail guys who are unselfish and likable. Butler is one hell of a tone setter even if he has tough spells shooting and turning the ball over. I would kill for Portland to have a team like that. Instead we get iso ball and the occasional Nurkic pass to a cutter from the high post.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#444 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:31 am

Quick questions for posters like Wiz, BlazersBroncos, d-train, and DaVoiceMaster (you who have been around quite a while):

What is Whiteside's next contract range?
d-train said "around $ 5M/year." Do the rest of you agree?
And based upon what he will get, how does that affect his returning or not?

Thanks, in advance.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#445 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:33 am

I don't know why we dont run more of our offense through Nurkic. It's been effective early in games, then they just go away from it for the next 3 quarters and lose. Go back to what was working. They dont need to run everything through him, but they certainly could run a fair amount through him from the high post.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#446 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:26 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I don't know why we dont run more of our offense through Nurkic. It's been effective early in games, then they just go away from it for the next 3 quarters and lose. Go back to what was working. They dont need to run everything through him, but they certainly could run a fair amount through him from the high post.

Amen.
:banghead:
I like Nurkic in that role as much as Jokic for the Nuggets. While Lillard and CJ take turns when one is hot, that also tends to lead to ISO or a 2-man game instead of ball and player movement.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#447 » by PDXKnight » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:I don't know why we dont run more of our offense through Nurkic. It's been effective early in games, then they just go away from it for the next 3 quarters and lose. Go back to what was working. They dont need to run everything through him, but they certainly could run a fair amount through him from the high post.

Amen.
I like Nurkic in that role as much as Jokic for the Nuggets. While Lillard and CJ take turns when one is hot, that also tends to lead to ISO or a 2-man game instead of ball and player movement.

It’s effective to some degree but Nurk seems to turn it over a lot in his touches so there’s that
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#448 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:22 am

Oden2 wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:

Amen.

It’s effective to some degree but Nurk seems to turn it over a lot in his touches so there’s that

It's a whole lot more effective than not.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 pm

There was an interesting trade on the T&T Forum that most people seemed to like involving Portland, Philadelphia, and Oklahoma City. The essential players were:

Paul, McCollum, Collins to Philadlephia
Horford, Simons to Oklahoma City
Simmons to Portland

There were a couple of other minor people involved, as well as draft picks, but overall people seemed okay with the trade. That gets me thinking...

Portland makes the trade for Simmons.
Portland uses their TPE to acquire Enes Kanter from Boston (is a 2nd necessary? They save $5M and he wasn't even playing).
Portland signs Shabazz Napier to a vet minimum 2 year contract.
Portland uses the MLE to sign either Davis Bertans, Jae Crowder, or Justin Holiday to a 3 year contract.
Portland resigns Carmelo Anthony to a vet minimum or BAE 2 year contract.
Portland resigns Wenyen Gabriel to a vet minimum 2 year contract.
Portland signs Meyers Leonard to a vet minimum 2 year contract. We need a cheerleader like him on the bench!!!

The last year of all contracts above (except Kanter - expiring) can include a Team Option if that's possible.

Purchase a low lottery draft pick for $5 million and Nassir Little (if necessary) to select Aaron Nesmith.

Trade Mario Hezonja to Atlanta for a future 2nd pick or cash ($1,830,151 to pay his 2020-21 salary. If not, waive him.

Lillard / Napier
Hood / Trent Jr / Korkmaz
Bertans (Crowder) / Ariza / Nesmith
Simmons / Melo / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter / Leonard

That is a "win now" roster!!! I don't know what type of salary Bertans will demand. He's only made like $7M so far so maybe he'd go for the MLE and a starting spot on a potential championship team? Crowder is not a bad runner up who can defend multiple positions and shoot a bit. Otherwise, Holiday is a decent defender and good shooter. Probably need to find a better PF for the future as Melo is old and Gabriel is raw. If the Blazers go with Crowder, he could handle the backup PF minutes.

Thoughts?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#450 » by Epicurus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:31 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Well, I agree with d-train that Crowder isnt the type who can be even a #3 ballhandling option but that Miami team is so deep with guys from 1-5 that are above average at dribbling and passing that they can afford to have a Crowder type who just plays good defense, rebounds, switches well 2-5 and hits the open shot.

The transformation of that Miami team has been so impressive. I love that squad, all just hardworking lunch pail guys who are unselfish and likable. Butler is one hell of a tone setter even if he has tough spells shooting and turning the ball over. I would kill for Portland to have a team like that. Instead we get iso ball and the occasional Nurkic pass to a cutter from the high post.
9.9% Blazer iso v. 4.6% Heat iso, compared to league leader Rockets at 19.6% v. last in iso Orlando at 3%. 6%, the median.

Offensive efficiency--Portland 3rd; Miami 7th; Houston, 6th;Orlando, 23. How significant of offensive differentiation is iso?
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#451 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Quick questions for posters like Wiz, BlazersBroncos, d-train, and DaVoiceMaster (you who have been around quite a while):

Thanks, in advance.

I just noticed this post. I must have missed it before. What are you asking?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#452 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:46 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:Quick questions for posters like Wiz, BlazersBroncos, d-train, and DaVoiceMaster (you who have been around quite a while):

Thanks, in advance.

I just noticed this post. I must have missed it before. What are you asking?

In looking at free agents and draft picks, I start with the Blazers' free agents with simple questions:
1. Keep or cut bait?
2. If it's cut's bait, would they be useful to someone else (S&T) ... Jake Layman ... or just waive the rights?
3. If Whiteside (in this case) has value to the Blazers, how much do you think Whiteside will be offered? What can he command on the open market? [A happy Whiteside is the only Whiteside a team should sign.]

d-train said in this topic that Whiteside's next salary would be around $5 million per year. Is that about right for what the Blazers would pay? Do they want him back? What will others offer? With that low of a number, comparatively, is Whiteside even offered that money by the Blazers?

What do you think?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#453 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:41 pm

d-train said in this topic that Whiteside's next salary would be around $5 million per year. Is that about right for what the Blazers would pay? Do they want him back? What will others offer? With that low of a number, comparatively, is Whiteside even offered that money by the Blazers?

I think 5M is low, but also within the realm of possibility. I think more around 8M on a very short deal (2/16M or 1/8M).

At the same time, I think I am ready to walk away from him. I dont like his body language and while he hasnt been an out-and-out malcontent, he just seems to sorta be a sucky person. Whiney, always looks discontent, never really rooting on the bench, etc. IDK, wouldnt really care if we lost him as long as we could find a decent backup.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#454 » by JasonStern » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:42 pm

I feel an above average backup center is needed as I don't trust both Nurkić and Collins remaining healthy for an entire season.

If Whiteside is content playing a bench role, I'd be fine going up to 3Y/$20M to retain him. Anything higher would be far too expensive for what would hopefully be a bench player.

Many have proposed "Kanter for TPE". If Boston is looking to manage cap space, I like that idea more than re-signing Whiteside.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#455 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:13 pm

I am not a fan of Whiteside off the bench and since Nurkic is the starter, I don't see a place for him on this roster. I would use the Bazemorr TPE to acquire Kanter. The guy is a perfect bench player, knows his role, and accepts it. He's more offensive than Whiteside, which our bench will need. How many great starts did we see the team get off to, only to see it disappear once the bench came in. I would thank Whiteside for his service, but tell him to see what he can get elsewhere. Perhaps the Blazers can facilitate a S&T if necessary and only if it benefits the Blazers.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#456 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 pm

I am not a fan of Whiteside off the bench and since Nurkic is the starter, I don't see a place for him on this roster. I would use the Bazemorr TPE to acquire Kanter. The guy is a perfect bench player, knows his role, and accepts it. He's more offensive than Whiteside, which our bench will need. How many great starts did we see the team get off to, only to see it disappear once the bench came in. I would thank Whiteside for his service, but tell him to see what he can get elsewhere. Perhaps the Blazers can facilitate a S&T if necessary and only if it benefits the Blazers.

I too prefer Kanter. Much better culture fit and understands his role. He has accepted he can be unplayable in certain PO matchups and just rolls with it. He would be huge in the RS to keep Nurkic healthy and rested. Then in the PO, you use Nurkic and Zack at C.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#457 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I too prefer Kanter. Much better culture fit and understands his role. He has accepted he can be unplayable in certain PO matchups and just rolls with it. He would be huge in the RS to keep Nurkic healthy and rested. Then in the PO, you use Nurkic and Zack at C.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,162

Post#458 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:25 am

I'm all for bringing Kanter back too, he had a nice role here.

In terms of last first/early second round picks, Xavier Tillman kind of reminds me of Draymond Green, high IQ guy with a big body and great anticipation but some athletic questions. Even a poor man's version could make an interesting backup PF/C for us.

If we could get those two in a deal like Kanter+#30 for our #46 that Could help with our depth.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#459 » by Sinobas » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm

I've been advocating for the return of Kanter as well. He's just a much better fit.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#460 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:45 pm

In terms of last first/early second round picks, Xavier Tillman kind of reminds me of Draymond Green, high IQ guy with a big body and great anticipation but some athletic questions. Even a poor man's version could make an interesting backup PF/C for us.

If we can pick up 30 in a TPE move for Kanter (TPE+46 for Kanter+30), than Tillman would be my target. I dont think he is as talented or nimble as Green, but he has solid-role-player written all over him. I think he is likely to be closer to Kyle O'Quinn than Draymond, but good chance he lands in the middle which is great value at 30. (FWIW, O'Quinn has averaged 1.7apg in 12mpg the past 3 years which is just nuts for a center)

Return to Portland Trail Blazers