ImageImage

Lions Lead Up - Lane Taylor Out for Season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Re: Lions Lead Up - Lane Taylor Out for Season 

Post#41 » by Treebeard » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I had never heard of Krys Barnes before Sunday but the Pack must see something in him (and how bad must Burkes be in practice?!?). Did a little googling and the Niners SB nation guy had him as his #1 sleeper LB in the draft. He's his write up on him.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/13/21134872/nfl-pre-combine-draft-2020-sleepers

1. Krys Barnes, LB, UCLA

Height: 6'2" Weight: 235lbs. Projected Arm length: 32" Projected hand size: 9.75" Projected 40: 4.6-4.7

Pros: Krys is consistent. He's fast, has good instincts and a good nose for the football and is consistently good. In 2018 Barnes had 85 tackles, 10 for a loss, 1 sack, 1 INT and 6 pass deflections. In 2019, he had 72 tackles, 9.5 for a loss, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 7 deflections and 1 forced fumble. Barnes is productive. He's fast and an efficient tackler. He constantly puts himself in position to make plays. He's also a good pass defender. Krys was also listed on the third team (third place) on the PFF All-Pac-12 team. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Cons: As you probably noticed from the weight, Barnes is undersized for the NFL level. The immediate concern then becomes, if he adds muscle mass/weight, how will that impact his speed? He's also considered a jack of all trades, master of none. He's good at rushing the passer, good at coverage, good at run defense but not excellent at any. It will be interesting to see how his skill set translates at the NFL level.

Summary: Barnes is an intriguing prospect. He reminds me of Fred Warner coming out of college. He just is always wherever the ball is. While not the fastest, strongest or best LB in the draft, he has the ability and technique to be an every down backer in the NFL. Barnes is all over the place on boards, as high as 5th and as low as undrafted. He would be worthy of a 6th rounder.

Barnes looked really good last Sunday. Let's hope he can sustain his good start.

I'm a little surprised the Vikes didn't adapt to the lineup change and test Barnes more as the game went on
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,274

Post#42 » by Finn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Groin injuries are the pits. I’m not getting my hopes up until after the week 5 bye for Kenny Clark. They need to bring up Mack off the practice squad for some beef up front.

No can do since they let him go & picked up 2 other dudes.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#43 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:19 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Random thing I was thinking about. Is the current RB group the best group the Packers have had in the modern era (80s-today). Ahman Green at his peak was probably the best individual. But this group has a damn good lead back in Jones, a solid pro in williams, and two real wildcards with Dillion and Ervin.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

I think if they keep Jones and Dillon pans out yes. As is id still take Ahman, Davenpoop, Hendo and Tony First Down Fisher.
Beat me to it. That group was stacked

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#44 » by Dandridgefav » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 pm

IF ALL RB are healthy and contributing at the Trade Dead-line - then I would trade Jamal Williams. JW is proven and still improving. He can help both a "Win Now" team with his talent AND a young developing team. There is no mystery, no injuries, no baggage with Williams. I would miss him and wish him all the best - and get excited to see ore of Dixon and Ervin! IF Williams consistently plays well up to trade dead-line - some team would give the Pack a 3rd.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#45 » by Mags FTW » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 pm

Don't forget about Bennett/Levens/Henderson.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#46 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 am

Dandridgefav wrote:IF ALL RB are healthy and contributing at the Trade Dead-line - then I would trade Jamal Williams. JW is proven and still improving. He can help both a "Win Now" team with his talent AND a young developing team. There is no mystery, no injuries, no baggage with Williams. I would miss him and wish him all the best - and get excited to see ore of Dixon and Ervin! IF Williams consistently plays well up to trade dead-line - some team would give the Pack a 3rd.

I just don’t think you the value you’d get for him would make it worth it. He was damn near perfection on blitz pick ups on Sunday and that’s such an important and underrated skill in today’s nfl.
Do it for Chuck
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#47 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:23 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote:IF ALL RB are healthy and contributing at the Trade Dead-line - then I would trade Jamal Williams. JW is proven and still improving. He can help both a "Win Now" team with his talent AND a young developing team. There is no mystery, no injuries, no baggage with Williams. I would miss him and wish him all the best - and get excited to see ore of Dixon and Ervin! IF Williams consistently plays well up to trade dead-line - some team would give the Pack a 3rd.

I just don’t think you the value you’d get for him would make it worth it. He was damn near perfection on blitz pick ups on Sunday and that’s such an important and underrated skill in today’s nfl.
Yeah they'd be lucky to get a 6th if they moved Williams. Not because he's bad, he's quite solid all around player but NFL trades are just weird and GMs over value draft picks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mags FTW » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:58 am

The comp pick we would get for Williams this offseason will be just as good, or possibly better, than what we would get at the deadline.

Keep him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#49 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:03 am

We're not getting a comp pick for Williams, or anything of value for him in a trade. He's the very definition of Just A Guy.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#50 » by Mags FTW » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:38 am

Just a guy who is damn good a pass protection.

Since entering the NFL in 2017, Williams has had 200 snaps in pass protection and he has only allowed 3 quarterback hits.

https://titansized.com/2020/08/24/titans-trade-green-bay-packers-rb-jamaal-williams/amp/2/
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#51 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:09 am

Mags FTW wrote:Just a guy who is damn good a pass protection.

Since entering the NFL in 2017, Williams has had 200 snaps in pass protection and he has only allowed 3 quarterback hits.

https://titansized.com/2020/08/24/titans-trade-green-bay-packers-rb-jamaal-williams/amp/2/

Which as we know, always gets you a big payday.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#52 » by neiLz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 pm

The biggest bonus in trading a Jamaal williams would be getting off his 2.1 million base that is non guaranteed. the money decreases each game that passes, but a team that is at the cap, needs every penny if they plan on trying to keep bakh, jones, king etc.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#53 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:25 pm

I get that Rodgers is getting old and didnt always play well last year and we may need some RB insurance moving forward but after that first game knowing we spent our first 2 picks on a QB who didn't even suit up for the game and a 3rd string RB is still breaking my brain.

Maybe long term they will look like geniuses but I just don't agree with the philosophy.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#54 » by crkone » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,938

Post#55 » by stillgotgame » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Finn wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Groin injuries are the pits. I’m not getting my hopes up until after the week 5 bye for Kenny Clark. They need to bring up Mack off the practice squad for some beef up front.

No can do since they let him go & picked up 2 other dudes.

Always good to see another former Cleveland Brown's defender added to our defense. Pettine must've been amazing there
Read on Twitter
?s=20
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#56 » by PintSizedBox10 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:57 pm

Winn hasn't played since 2016. That's the best they could come up with?

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#57 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Hopefully Montravious is good to go. Definitely not feeling very confident in the D-line depth if we're already banged up this much.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mags FTW » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:22 am

Frustrating when you see how cheap the Chiefs were able to re-sign Pennel for.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mags FTW » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:33 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Just a guy who is damn good a pass protection.

Which as we know, always gets you a big payday.

Snap count also goes into the comp pick formula. Anything over 25% earns points. Williams was at 35% last year, 40% on Sunday. Logic would dictate that any team signing him would use him a lot on 3rd down and play him as the primary on about 1 series per half to give the feature back a rest. He should end up in the 30s wherever he goes.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#60 » by BUCKnation » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:20 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I get that Rodgers is getting old and didnt always play well last year and we may need some RB insurance moving forward but after that first game knowing we spent our first 2 picks on a QB who didn't even suit up for the game and a 3rd string RB is still breaking my brain.

Maybe long term they will look like geniuses but I just don't agree with the philosophy.

Yeah, I said after the draft that in a vacuum I liked the picks, but roster wise for now and in the near future, they don't make a whole lot of sense.

Return to Green Bay Packers