Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Re: Around the NBA XI 

Post#781 » by Slava » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:The sweet schadenfreude bathing over me is exquisite right now.

It's more entertaining than I thought it could be, and I thought it could be pretty great.

Even as the piss started running down their legs in the fourth, I STILL thought they were going to turn it around. They obviously never had that consistency all season, but I didn't think it was possible that they could fall apart that badly. Up 3-1, with double-digit leads in each of the last three games ... one of the most stunning collapses in NBA history.

I've never, ever been a "fire the coach" guy. To me it always has been and always will be a players league. Shut up and perform. But even with Kawhi and George playing so poorly, I put so much blame on Rivers. He whines and makes sooooo many excuses, beyond just trying to game the officials like Phil used to, and I think that filters down to your players.

It reminds me so much of how we'd completely fold the first time we'd get punched in the mouth under Delicate Harris. Obviously Kobe being ready to ascend was an enormous factor, but the difference in mental toughness between those teams and Phil's was night and day. Again, personnel was different, but we went from getting routinely swept to winning rings.

I guess you can point to those Celtics teams, who were super tough. But looking back on that I'd give most of the credit to KG and Pierce. Doc's been eating off that success for a long, long time now. The problem is, I don't know who else they could really get that stands out. But if I was a Clippers fan, I'd want him gone yesterday.

All bubble long it was obnoxious watching Beverley who wasn't even playing draped over the side board trolling opponents. All season long they were acting like the defending champs because they had the finals MVP and somehow they were all taller in his shadow. It's so lovely to have it play out the way it did when they realized they were infact chickens rather than wolves.

I agree about Rivers, infact that entire celtics 2008 team has lived a decade and more off of that one championship.

Clippers have a ready made replacement in Lue as well.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,829

Post#782 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:The sweet schadenfreude bathing over me is exquisite right now.

It's more entertaining than I thought it could be, and I thought it could be pretty great.

Even as the piss started running down their legs in the fourth, I STILL thought they were going to turn it around. They obviously never had that consistency all season, but I didn't think it was possible that they could fall apart that badly. Up 3-1, with double-digit leads in each of the last three games ... one of the most stunning collapses in NBA history.

I've never, ever been a "fire the coach" guy. To me it always has been and always will be a players league. Shut up and perform. But even with Kawhi and George playing so poorly, I put so much blame on Rivers. He whines and makes sooooo many excuses, beyond just trying to game the officials like Phil used to, and I think that filters down to your players.

It reminds me so much of how we'd completely fold the first time we'd get punched in the mouth under Delicate Harris. Obviously Kobe being ready to ascend was an enormous factor, but the difference in mental toughness between those teams and Phil's was night and day. Again, personnel was different, but we went from getting routinely swept to winning rings.

I guess you can point to those Celtics teams, who were super tough. But looking back on that I'd give most of the credit to KG and Pierce. Doc's been eating off that success for a long, long time now. The problem is, I don't know who else they could really get that stands out. But if I was a Clippers fan, I'd want him gone yesterday.

All bubble long it was obnoxious watching Beverley who wasn't even playing draped over the side board trolling opponents. All season long they were acting like the defending champs because they had the finals MVP and somehow they were all taller in his shadow. It's so lovely to have it play out the way it did when they realized they were infact chickens rather than wolves.

I agree about Rivers, infact that entire celtics 2008 team has lived a decade and more off of that one championship.

Clippers have a ready made replacement in Lue as well.

Watching Lillard and McCollum go after Beverley last night on Twitter was just ...

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#783 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Can we give Magic some Love! NOT acquiring PG was genius for not giving in. And the only move I was upset about was Zubac. Well, Zubac had his lunch handed to him this past week. Magic is now looked upon in a more favorable light, looking at it, in the after math of a gigantic meltdown we just witnessed. YES, Pelika gets Big Time Love, but Magics tenure is viewed with different glasses today, this morning
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#784 » by Slava » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Can we give Magic some Love! NOT acquiring PG was genius for not giving in. And the only move I was upset about was Zubac. Well, Zubac had his lunch handed to him this past week. Magic is now looked upon in a more favorable light, looking at it, in the after math of a gigantic meltdown we just witnessed. YES, Pelika gets Big Time Love, but Magics tenure is viewed with different glasses today, this morning

I thought about this as well. Although it has less to do with Magic's genius than rot luck that we skipped PG and ended up with Davis.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#785 » by slifersd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm

When it comes to PG, its not that we passed on him, he passed on us. The idea there was we were going to sign him and LeBron as free agents, and then still have all our young assets to trade for a star like AD. PG was really supposed to be the third wheel if that vision came through, which would've been an excellent role for him.

It's funny, because it seems like Clippers built their entire team to beat us. And because we are so differently constructed than Denver and Dallas, Clippers suffered badly because of that. They stock piled all those forwards because they wanted to throw bodies at LBJ and AD, but Dallas and Denver don't run their offense through their forwards. Those LAC smart asses, who constructed their roster to beat us, and had Kawhi procrastinating on his free agency to ensure we don't get to spend our FA money, thought they were so smart. Guess what, never overlook anyone in the playoffs.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#786 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#787 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 pm

slifersd wrote:When it comes to PG, its not that we passed on him, he passed on us. The idea there was we were going to sign him and LeBron as free agents, and then still have all our young assets to trade for a star like AD. PG was really supposed to be the third wheel if that vision came through, which would've been an excellent role for him.

It's funny, because it seems like Clippers built their entire team to beat us. And because we are so differently constructed than Denver and Dallas, Clippers suffered badly because of that. They stock piled all those forwards because they wanted to throw bodies at LBJ and AD, but Dallas and Denver don't run their offense through their forwards. Those LAC smart asses, who constructed their roster to beat us, and had Kawhi procrastinating on his free agency to ensure we don't get to spend our FA money, thought they were so smart. Guess what, never overlook anyone in the playoffs.

I think it was actually PG's agent that passed on us. As soon as we renounced Randle, Aaron Mintz made it his mission for his clients to boycott the Lakers.
In retrospect, I'm glad he did.
Formerly lakerRD
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#788 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 am

Slava wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:Can we give Magic some Love! NOT acquiring PG was genius for not giving in. And the only move I was upset about was Zubac. Well, Zubac had his lunch handed to him this past week. Magic is now looked upon in a more favorable light, looking at it, in the after math of a gigantic meltdown we just witnessed. YES, Pelika gets Big Time Love, but Magics tenure is viewed with different glasses today, this morning

I thought about this as well. Although it has less to do with Magic's genius than rot luck that we skipped PG and ended up with Davis.

Honestly, I think PG would be a different animal playing with lebron.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#789 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 am

Avery Bradley being out has been a gift, Caruso has arrived. Lakers promised him an opportunity when he re-signed, he took full advantage.Is he the best value in the NBA at 2.75 million per year?
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#790 » by Sofa King » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:31 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#791 » by Slava » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am

iamworthy wrote:
Slava wrote:

Mentally weak players wilt when playing with dudes like Kobe and LeBron. As good as George is, Davis is an entirely different level where one could argue he's the best player on the Lakers over LeBron.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#792 » by slifersd » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:28 am

lakerRD wrote:
slifersd wrote:When it comes to PG, its not that we passed on him, he passed on us. The idea there was we were going to sign him and LeBron as free agents, and then still have all our young assets to trade for a star like AD. PG was really supposed to be the third wheel if that vision came through, which would've been an excellent role for him.

I think it was actually PG's agent that passed on us. As soon as we renounced Randle, Aaron Mintz made it his mission for his clients to boycott the Lakers.

All due respect, I dont think we "won" the PG situation. We essentially gave PG's money to Danny Green, KCP and Bradley. I would take PG over all three of them combined. On this team, PG would be a super charged third wheel, which would make us almost impossible to beat. If anything, I am glad we closed the AD deal early before Clippers had a chance to empty out their assets to steal that deal from us. That would've been bad.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#793 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm

slifersd wrote:
lakerRD wrote:

All due respect, I dont think we "won" the PG situation. We essentially gave PG's money to Danny Green, KCP and Bradley. I would take PG over all three of them combined. On this team, PG would be a super charged third wheel, which would make us almost impossible to beat. If anything, I am glad we closed the AD deal early before Clippers had a chance to empty out their assets to steal that deal from us. That would've been bad.

Interesting. I agree that PG individually is obviously more talented than any one of those players. But having the three of them instead of him also has had advantages in terms of depth and shorter term contracts.

I also think the question is somewhat moot because Aaron Mintz made sure to prevent PG to LAL from happening.

An LBJ/AD/PG team would have been formidable, but I don't think it was in the cards at all after the Randle renouncement.
Formerly lakerRD
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#794 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Slava wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
Slava wrote:

Mentally weak players wilt when playing with dudes like Kobe and LeBron. As good as George is, Davis is an entirely different level where one could argue he's the best player on the Lakers over LeBron.

Good point.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#795 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:25 pm

made this sig, obviously its a lebron james quote. Its my tribute to the laker poster that use to make them for us...cant think of his name. I made it similiar to the one he created years ago.

snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#796 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Ok so if you want a good laugh or need a pick me up from your depression feel free to read this thread

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1998201
Forum permissions