ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi Regret Leaving?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Re: Kawhi Regret Leaving? 

Post#21 » by NeoDragonKnight » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:21 pm

Basketball wise, maybe a little, but his priority was always LA and that sweet sweet Balmer money.
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#22 » by Los Manos » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:56 pm

I am sure he has no regrets going to the Clippers.

However I am sure he regrets not having a floor general like Lowry beside him last night.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,658

Post#23 » by kingr » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:34 am

Considering he already has 2 rings... Choosing to go be closer to his children and family...
I doubt I'd have much regret. It's not like he missed the playoffs.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#24 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:11 am

Winter is and will always be a problem in attracting us born talent, when compared to the Miami and southern cal settings.... international players much more receptive to Canada....imo
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,233

Post#25 » by TheAlchemist » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:18 am

It's funny that fans think players think with their emotions like said fans. Lol.
rapsdontlie
Pro Prospect
And1: 985

Post#26 » by rapsdontlie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:07 am

Doubt it.

He's back at home with family, friends, and the nice LA weather. It wasn't completely a basketball decision, and we knew that of course.

Also, and this is just my opinion btw, a lowkey, quiet guy like him probably feels more comfortable in LA where there's plenty of other celebrities. All that attention he got from a whole country (while he was here) might've already been too draining.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,778

Post#27 » by nestea » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:41 am

NUCKER101 wrote:I bet he misses the locker room atmosphere and on-court chemistry but that’s about it. Doubt he bonded too much with the guys outside of the arena other than team dinners (maybe with Lowry a bit).

MixxSRC wrote:Didn't he leave a lot of money on a table because Raps could offer him a bigger contract?

We all know Ballmer and Uncle Dennis had money under the table involved. It would be surprising if they didn’t.

Smoking weed with Serge, you forget?

What it do baby...
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
Ivre
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#28 » by Ivre » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:06 am

HOF raptors who left the team to ill results:
Vince Carter - kinda just faded over the years never won a chip.
Tracy Mcgrady - no chip
Chris Bosh - chips bit let’s face it he’s barely mentioned relative to wade or lebron by playing with them he diminished his personal rep.
Kawhi - epic fail and honestly he didn’t even care in game 7. And it’s not likely to get better.

Believing that leaving Toronto for other teams looking for more will yield good results, is kinda like thinking conservatives are good with money. You really gotta believe in it. There’s no truth.
mickie
Rookie
And1: 516

Post#29 » by mickie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:25 am

Kahwi has nothing to prove to anyone. he made a decision based on his family. Just like you and me would make a decision based on wha'ts good for our family. The guy is a proven winner but he had a bad game. Even the legends had bad game or 2.
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,355

Post#30 » by mkot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:46 am

He wants Doc - checked
He wants Paul George - checked
He wants LA - checked

I think he is happy regardless. Fans and the media can say whatever he won't get faltered. That's Kawhi for ya.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#31 » by kalel123 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:22 pm

In grand scheme of things, no.

But you can't tell me he looks at how we've done without him and doesn't wonder at night... what if? I'm sure that crosses his mind at times, at least basketball-wise, looking at his teammates.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#32 » by Danny1616 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Watching him throughout the playoffs he did not look happy at all, and you could see his frustration at times with his low IQ teammates.

This is a guy who went from playing with unselfish defensive minded veterans such as Duncan, Manu, Parker, Lowry, Gasol, Green, Ibaka etc. to young, inexperienced or low IQ players like like Lou Will, Morris, Beverly, and Reggie Jackson. Further, George is a ball dominant player who isn't a good facilitator at all.

He's been spoiled his entire career playing on two teams with unselfish veterans, a winning culture, and strong core. Now he can finally see it's not that easy to just build your own team with parts that don't fit, without an established culture, without a strong veteran core, and expect to win.

Clippers didn't just struggle with Denver, Dallas looked like they were at their level and if Porzingis had not missed 3 games, who knows what would have happened.

He can't really back out of his situation now. He's left two incredible franchises that he won a title with to build his own marketing brand/legacy. I think he's finally realized that building your own brand on your own without those established cultures in place is not going to be as easy as he thought.

The question really is how much of this was Kawhi's decision or how much influence does uncle/his family really have.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Post#33 » by gp2015 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm sure he's not enjoying the media calling him and the Clippers major chokers and that he's playing with a bunch of knuckleheads but other than that, doubt he regrets going back home.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#34 » by alpngso » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:08 pm

If he knew that this season was going to be in a bubble i think he might have stayed with the Raps 1 more season.

This year was a wash anyway
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Post#35 » by Tacoma » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:18 pm

alpngso wrote:If he knew that this season was going to be in a bubble i think he might have stayed with the Raps 1 more season.

And he would likely be in the Orlando bubble for start of next season as well. The irony is he signed with LAC for 3 years with an opt-out after 2 (in 2021). He could've signed this exact same contract with Toronto, then opt out in 2021 to sign to be in LA (by which time COVID would be out of the bubble).

Return to Toronto Raptors