ImageImageImage

Blake for Horford?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Re: Blake for Horford? 

Post#21 » by jakebernat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 pm

Buckets22 wrote:I'll do it. I'm not worried about Horfords contract - I'm pretty sure that there will be a CBA revamp because of COVID and a new amnesty introduced....and if there is not well - Horford drives the tank for Emoni Bates, then we trade his 1 year left on contract to another team, retool and go for the Championship.

this is where i’m at. philly had an absolute war chest of draft picks. if something like blake and khyri allows us to dip into those assets, then i’m all for it. Horford is honestly a better fit with wood and would turn himself into an asset again with this roster. and if he’s washed up, welp, emoni would look great in a pistons uni...
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#22 » by Crymson » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:57 pm

It's a moot point for the Pistons, because this would be an absolutely and utterly terrible trade for the Sixers. Blake is one of the worst imaginable fits with Embiid and Simmons. A guy who operates a great deal in the post and simply must have the ball in order to go to work, alongside the league's best post scorer and a point guard who is almost without any utility absent the ball? Dreadful. No matter who gets hired to replace Brett Brown, he won't be able to make it work with those three. The above assumes that Griffin doesn't just get injured again; an on-the-court Horford is worth more to the Sixers than $35 million in dead cap. Even the one less year on Griffin's deal won't help the Sixers; barring a trade that divests that team of Embiid, Simmons, or Harris and takes back much less salary, the Sixers will be near or above the cap come 2022 anyway.

Talent is not swapped in a vacuum. Fit is a thing. It is a vitally important thing.

The trade also serves no discernible purpose for the Pistons, as saving an extra $10 million against the cap for the next two seasons means nothing to this organization. The only conceivable benefit would be removing Blake's potential positive contributions should the Pistons be aiming for a high draft pick. Even then, the organization would be eating at least $14.5 million of Horford's 2022-2023 salary.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#23 » by sc8581 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:06 am

Horford is still a very good player, Philly was just the only team he didn't fit on.
Snell for Horford and #21(Kira Lewis)
Trade #7 and a future protected #1 for Lonzo and #13(Aaron Nesmith)

Wood/Horford
Blake/Wood/Sekou
Nesmith/Sekou/Svi
Kennard/Brown/Lonzo
Lonzo/Rose/Lewis
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#24 » by Manocad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 pm

sc8581 wrote:Horford is still a very good player, Philly was just the only team he didn't fit on.

Wood/Horford
Blake/Wood/Sekou
Nesmith/Sekou/Svi
Kennard/Brown/Lonzo
Lonzo/Rose/Lewis

And the expected outcome is...?
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#25 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:15 pm

Elton Brand might be the worst GM in the league. With that said, he’s not trading for Blake Griffin. Case closed.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,042

Post#26 » by Laimbeer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Manocad wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:What are the odds of both Blake and Kennard passing a physical?

About the same as me gouging my eye out with a dull spoon

I recall your doing that a lot when the Pistons were playing. :D
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#27 » by rmfc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:37 pm

sc8581 wrote:Horford is still a very good player, Philly was just the only team he didn't fit on.

Wood/Horford
Blake/Wood/Sekou
Nesmith/Sekou/Svi
Kennard/Brown/Lonzo
Lonzo/Rose/Lewis

Trade for Horford (and his big contract) to be a backup in an already overpaid (and about to be if we re-sign Wood) front court?
And, then trade for Lonzo and draft Kira Lewis??

Pass. We should look for better deals and also try to avoid getting Lonzo (due for a contract extension soon).
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#28 » by rmfc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:What are the odds of both Blake and Kennard passing a physical?

:banghead: :banghead:
:cry:

So much garbage/untradeable "assets" on this team.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by sc8581 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Manocad wrote:

Wood/Horford
Blake/Wood/Sekou
Nesmith/Sekou/Svi
Kennard/Brown/Lonzo
Lonzo/Rose/Lewis

Playoff experience with a nice combination of vets and young guys. I don't think the organization is willing to tank so this is my second option. If not Horford, we might be able to get Myles Turner for little more than a salary dump.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by sc8581 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm

rmfc wrote:

Wood/Horford
Blake/Wood/Sekou
Nesmith/Sekou/Svi
Kennard/Brown/Lonzo
Lonzo/Rose/Lewis

Trade for Horford (and his big contract) to be a backup in an already overpaid (and about to be if we re-sign Wood) front court?
And, then trade for Lonzo and draft Kira Lewis??

Pass. We should look for better deals and also try to avoid getting Lonzo (due for a contract extension soon).

Horford and Ball are a lot better than you think, Horford would still get 30mpg off the bench.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#31 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:07 pm

This team needs a PG and Wings.

So we are looking to try Monroe/Drummond part 2?

Was I the only one drinking and falling asleep watching that garbage, the first time?

The East is winning with elite athleticism and wings.

1 - Heat have Jimmy and Bam plus shooting.

2 - Raps have elite shooting in their PG/SG plus Giannis lite in their Siakim PF.

3 - Celtics are Wing city. Brown, Tatum, Hayward plus Walker/Smart PGs

4 - Bucks have a weird roster that didnt entirely work out, but its all athleticism.

So Detroit goes all in on 90s Twin Towers that both are washed up?
Manocad
RealGM

Post#32 » by Manocad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:55 pm

sc8581 wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Wood/Horford
Blake/Wood/Sekou
Nesmith/Sekou/Svi
Kennard/Brown/Lonzo
Lonzo/Rose/Lewis

Playoff experience with a nice combination of vets and young guys. I don't think the organization is willing to tank so this is my second option. If not Horford, we might be able to get Myles Turner for little more than a salary dump.

That’s not an answer to my question. I know what Horford and Ball are. What is your expected outcome by adding then to the team via trading away two first round picks?
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by sc8581 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Manocad wrote:
sc8581 wrote:
Manocad wrote:And the expected outcome is...?

That’s not an answer to my question. I know what Horford and Ball are. What is your expected outcome by adding then to the team via trading away two first round picks?

Trading away two first round picks and also receiving two first round picks. Immediate expected outcome or long term? Immediate, win a playoff series, be competitive in 2nd round. Long term, surround a true PG with shooting and defense, hopefully Sekou eventually turns into something resembling a #1 scoring option, 20ppg guy and efficient.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#34 » by MotownMadness » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:20 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:This team needs a PG and Wings.

Was I the only one drinking and falling asleep watching that garbage, the first time?

2 - Raps have elite shooting in their PG/SG plus Giannis lite in their Siakim PF.

4 - Bucks have a weird roster that didnt entirely work out, but its all athleticism.

Eww God no, did you watch that guy in the playoffs? They will probably regret that deal they gave him.

We need wings though like a Tatum who can be a #1 option. Next year the top ten has alot of Guards and Wings. I grab a PG this year, tank next year for a wing and then just start building off of it.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,672

Post#35 » by Invictus88 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 pm

sc8581 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
sc8581 wrote:

Trading away two first round picks and also receiving two first round picks. Immediate expected outcome or long term? Immediate, win a playoff series, be competitive in 2nd round. Long term, surround a true PG with shooting and defense, hopefully Sekou eventually turns into something resembling a #1 scoring option, 20ppg guy and efficient.

And this is how we treadmill boys. No patience. Trade away long term assets for short immediate gains.

Horford is 34 right now and has 1 more year than Blake. It's one of the worst contracts in the league and we'd get back a late round 1st in a weak draft.

Lonzo is arguably a middling pg at this point and just signed up with Rich Paul, so you can guarantee he will be overpriced. You want to give up a lottery pick this year and what will undeniably be a high pick next year for that and #13 this year.

This is how you doom a franchise for years.

This is realGM. Maybe this came from JoeD or SVG? Joe? Are you bored in Sacramento? SVG? Is that tv gig getting old?

Just terrible.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#36 » by Pharaoh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:30 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:This team needs a PG and Wings.

So the idea is to copy what Miami & Boston have done using inferior talent and that's how we'll win?

I don't include the Raps in there due to their soon to be free agents. I don't include the Bucks cause who knows what they'll do.

Then there's Philly - not to mention any West teams!

No one seems to mention that the reason the Heat, Raps, Bucks & Celtics have had so much success is their system and coaching.

Spo, Nurse, Stevens (& regular season Bud) are all exceptional

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM

Post#37 » by Manocad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:
Manocad wrote:That’s not an answer to my question. I know what Horford and Ball are. What is your expected outcome by adding then to the team via trading away two first round picks?

And this is how we treadmill boys. No patience. Trade away long term assets for short immediate gains.

Horford is 34 right now and has 1 more year than Blake. It's one of the worst contracts in the league and we'd get back a late round 1st in a weak draft.

Lonzo is arguably a middling pg at this point and just signed up with Rich Paul, so you can guarantee he will be overpriced. You want to give up a lottery pick this year and what will undeniably be a high pick next year for that and #13 this year.

This is realGM. Maybe this came from JoeD or SVG? Joe? Are you bored in Sacramento? SVG? Is that tv gig getting old?

Just terrible.

Ding ding ding. Winner
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#38 » by chrbal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Manocad wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:

Just terrible.

Ding ding ding. Winner

Once I saw snell for Horford, we hang onto Blake, and trade for lonzo.,.. I skipped it over because I knew the person couldn’t be reasoned with
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#39 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Pharaoh wrote:So the idea is to copy what Miami & Boston have done using inferior talent and that's how we'll win?

I don't include the Raps in there due to their soon to be free agents. I don't include the Bucks cause who knows what they'll do.

No one seems to mention that the reason the Heat, Raps, Bucks & Celtics have had so much success is their system and coaching.

Thats what rebuilding means. We dont know who the talent will be, or who might get a lot better in the future (Sekou? / Kennard?)

Did the Heat know that Bam and Duncan Robinson and Nunn would be so good? I hope not, or else its over for the rest of the league.

They looked at guys, picked ones they hoped would get better. Then played them a lot trying to get them to improve.

Then we have Detroit. The season is over and we're trying to tank. Pistons dumped Reggie and Dre.

So instead of playing Khyri and Donte Hall and Louis King. We're bringing in McRae to play big minutes. Just play Louis King. Give him a green light. Play him with Bruce Brown and see what happens.

Instead of playing Henson, play Donte Hall 25 minutes a night, more if he is playing well. If he isnt playing well. The team is tanking, right?

Dwayne Casey is not a horrible coach, hes mediocre. Which is OK for now. If every team had Nurse and Stevens that would make the NBA a lot more fun to watch, but talent is scarce.

So what choices CAN the team make to improve LONG TERM? Play the young guys. What does Detroit do? Play aging vets on expiring deals? That is not rebuilding by finding new young talent or trying to build up some young guys that already show promise.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#40 » by MotownMadness » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:10 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:So the idea is to copy what Miami & Boston have done using inferior talent and that's how we'll win?

Thats what rebuilding means. We dont know who the talent will be, or who might get a lot better in the future (Sekou? / Kennard?)

Did the Heat know that Bam and Duncan Robinson and Nunn would be so good? I hope not, or else its over for the rest of the league.

They looked at guys, picked ones they hoped would get better. Then played them a lot trying to get them to improve.

Then we have Detroit. The season is over and we're trying to tank. Pistons dumped Reggie and Dre.

So instead of playing Khyri and Donte Hall and Louis King. We're bringing in McRae to play big minutes. Just play Louis King. Give him a green light. Play him with Bruce Brown and see what happens.

Instead of playing Henson, play Donte Hall 25 minutes a night, more if he is playing well. If he isnt playing well. The team is tanking, right?

Dwayne Casey is not a horrible coach, hes mediocre. Which is OK for now. If every team had Nurse and Stevens that would make the NBA a lot more fun to watch, but talent is scarce.

So what choices CAN the team make to improve LONG TERM? Play the young guys. What does Detroit do? Play aging vets on expiring deals? That is not rebuilding by finding new young talent or trying to build up some young guys that already show promise.

Yeah that crap drives me nuts. Even when they draft a young guy they will sign someone and block his mins almost everytime

Return to Detroit Pistons