ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1421 » by drsd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 am

Ducklett wrote:I assume that means the next season start is being pushed back and truncated as well. That sucks.

Rumors are a Christmas day opening season slot.

It could delay til the New Year though. Anyhow: there could be early December pre-season games. Maybe.

drsd
RealGM

Post#1422 » by drsd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am

MagicMatic wrote:Players that can create offense AND get buckets in the first round. Not JUST a spot up shooter or a pass first player.

Killian Hayes
Anthony Edwards
Tyrese Haliburton
Tyrell Terry
Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis Jr
Deni Avdija

I’d be ok with landing any of these guys that can get buckets and become decent playmakers. We lack players that can initiate offense individually as well as collectively.

Killian Hayes and Anthony Edwards are unobtainable without a block-buster trade.

Tyrese Haliburton or Deni Avdija will require a trade-up.

Tyrell Terry, Tyrese Maxey, and Kira Lewis Jr. are reasonable considerations without draft movement.

For me I would add Devin Vassell and Isaac Okoro to your list. In conclusion, the Magic needs a SG or combo-guard with their draft selection, and there are loads of options.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1423 » by drsd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 am

NBAdraft.net today has the Magic drafting Vernon Carey. If Orlando takes him, this board might catch fire!
Only Patrick Williams and Onyeka Okongwu could be conceivably seen as even-worse draft ideas.

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#1424 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 pm

drsd wrote:NBAdraft.net today has the Magic drafting Vernon Carey. If Orlando takes him, this board might catch fire!
Only Patrick Williams and Onyeka Okongwu could be conceivably seen as even-worse draft ideas.

I'm pretty sure they do BPA regardless the pick so it's more like a top list of players and these teams got stuck here
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Post#1425 » by MagicMatic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:00 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Players that can create offense AND get buckets in the first round. Not JUST a spot up shooter or a pass first player.

Killian Hayes
Anthony Edwards
Tyrese Haliburton
Tyrell Terry
Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis Jr
Deni Avdija

I’d be ok with landing any of these guys that can get buckets and become decent playmakers. We lack players that can initiate offense individually as well as collectively.

Killian Hayes and Anthony Edwards are unobtainable without a block-buster trade.

Tyrese Haliburton or Deni Avdija will require a trade-up.

Tyrell Terry, Tyrese Maxey, and Kira Lewis Jr. are reasonable considerations without draft movement.

For me I would add Devin Vassell and Isaac Okoro to your list. In conclusion, the Magic needs a SG or combo-guard with their draft selection, and there are loads of options.

I would be ecstatic if we landed Vassell. I just don’t see him as an outright initiator on offense, but more of a 3-D wing. Yes, Okoro can create offense but he’s not great off the dribble, doesn’t have a reliable jumper, and is poor at the line. Not ideal.

Edwards to me is the only one that I think would require a top 3 pick. Haliburton, Avdija, and Hayes would require a trade up. Terry, Maxey, and Lewis can be selected.
Stuff
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#1426 » by Stuff » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:32 pm

Can someone explain to me why player's draft status are rising and falling when they haven't played in months? There are guys who were in the lottery a few months ago and now are late 1st/high 2nd, and guys who were 2nd rounders climbing the 1st round. Who makes these decisions that a player is better or worse than they were a couple months ago?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1427 » by Xatticus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 pm

Stuff wrote:Can someone explain to me why player's draft status are rising and falling when they haven't played in months? There are guys who were in the lottery a few months ago and now are late 1st/high 2nd, and guys who were 2nd rounders climbing the 1st round. Who makes these decisions that a player is better or worse than they were a couple months ago?

Because it takes a lot of time to pore over the film for every player in the draft. You have to watch full game footage to get any real sort of feel for a player. Highlight reels are often very misleading and give little indication of the little routine things a player does, what habits they have, or what they do while off the ball. I seldom dig into anyone that I don’t pick up a fascination for. The people that come up with mocks do so long before they have done their due diligence.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#1428 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:29 am

Stuff wrote:Can someone explain to me why player's draft status are rising and falling when they haven't played in months? There are guys who were in the lottery a few months ago and now are late 1st/high 2nd, and guys who were 2nd rounders climbing the 1st round. Who makes these decisions that a player is better or worse than they were a couple months ago?

with no NBA Combine or in person workouts it's going to be a wild draft thats for sure.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#1429 » by The Effect » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 pm

been saying it for the past 2 years and this bubble is just making my point for me every day
The #1 thing this teams needs to find is our Jamal Murray! We need that alpha scorer that not only can initiate an offense, but can put the team on his back and put up 50 and win the game. No more wasting our time looking for 3&D defenders or guys with 14ft wingspans.
Go get the guy who can carry a team and put the ball in the basket!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,120

Post#1430 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am

Point guard, star SG or at least 15 ppg SF who can actually shoot.
It's not that hard to see what teams needs...

Problem is that they need almost all 3 things.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,200

Post#1431 » by thelead » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:28 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Point guard, star SG or at least 15 ppg SF who can actually shoot.
It's not that hard to see what teams needs...

Problem is that they need almost all 3 things.

and if we're being honest, a PF that can stay healthy... so nearly an entire team :lol: :cry:
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Post#1432 » by Skin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:37 pm

The Effect wrote:been saying it for the past 2 years and this bubble is just making my point for me every day
The #1 thing this teams needs to find is our Jamal Murray! We need that alpha scorer that not only can initiate an offense, but can put the team on his back and put up 50 and win the game. No more wasting our time looking for 3&D defenders or guys with 14ft wingspans.

If Jamal Murray were here, Fournier and Vuc's buddy ball would make him the 3rd option.

Been saying it for umpteen million years. We need to change our core make up. Buddy Ball must die.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1433 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Skin wrote:
The Effect wrote:been saying it for the past 2 years and this bubble is just making my point for me every day

If Jamal Murray were here, Fournier and Vuc's buddy ball would make him the 3rd option.

Been saying it for umpteen million years. We need to change our core make up. Buddy Ball must die.

Iol, yea because they are really holding some superstar back :lol:
Gtfo with that crap
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1434 » by zaymon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:

Gtfo with that crap

They are holding Kawhi Leo... i mean Aaron Gordon.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skin
RealGM

Post#1435 » by Skin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:

Gtfo with that crap

I gotta give you props for being the leader of the Buddy Ball movement. :lol:

This team just continues to do exactly what you want. Championship next year bro?
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,796

Post#1436 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 pm

Its barley even 3&D. Its just D. I agree with you though. Its why Im so confused that people are against drafting Cole Anthony. He at least has potentail to be a shot creater. He wont be on the board at 15 but if somehow he is he should be in the mix at the very least.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1437 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:If Jamal Murray were here, Fournier and Vuc's buddy ball would make him the 3rd option.

Gtfo with that crap

This team just continues to do exactly what you want. Championship next year bro?

Love how you refuse to answer the question.
Who was victiom of buddyball that never menaged to reach his star potential because of them?

Elfrid Payton, Mario Hezonja or Andrew Nicholson? Or you think Biyombo was going to take a league by storm ? :rofl:

Or nowdays, PG who can't shoot pass FT line, center who can't even run for more than 14 min or guy who has been is older than 8 players selected in allstar game in 2020, yet viewed as " young and lot of potential".

Loud of crap. Buddyball exists because Magic front office showed zero desire to draft or sing PG who is starting level guard, or wing who can score 20 a night.

People who voted that SG needs to upgrade are high on something. Make a list of 30 shooting guards and make objective claim how many of them are not superstars, not super overpayed and are better than Evan.
I'll help you . It will be one of thinnest lists in history.

Harden- can't get him, superstar, supermax pending
Beal- signed exstension, Wizards resist trading
Klay- will never get him, max contract
Booker- max contract, will never get him
CJ Mcullum- max money, close with LIllard, won't get him
Mitchell- max contract won't get him
Oladipo- broken, can't stay haelthy to save his life, only fool would take him, still will get close to max
Derozan- max contract
MIddelton- 5 years max signed last year

So your potential upgrades are literally 3 names: Lavine ( Bulls changed everybody, probably won't just flush him away ), Levert ( just go praised by Durant, so he is staying )... yea that's the list. 2 names, zero interest in teams to trade them.

One who might be traded is Buddy Hield, who makes much more money and Magic can't even make a deal without adding almost $10M to match salaries.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1438 » by Skin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Gtfo with that crap

Who was victiom of buddyball that never menaged to reach his star potential because of them?

Elfrid Payton, Mario Hezonja or Andrew Nicholson? Or you think Biyombo was going to take a league by storm ? :rofl:

Or nowdays, PG who can't shoot pass FT line, center who can't even run for more than 14 min or guy who has been is older than 8 players selected in allstar game in 2020, yet viewed as " young and lot of potential".

Loud of crap. Buddyball exists because Magic front office showed zero desire to draft or sing PG who is starting level guard, or wing who can score 20 a night.

People who voted that SG needs to upgrade are high on something. Make a list of 30 shooting guards and make objective claim how many of them are not superstars, not super overpayed and are better than Evan.

Oladipo- broken, can't stay haelthy to save his life, only fool would take him, still will get close to max
Derozan- max contract

So your potential upgrades are literally 3 names: Lavine ( Bulls changed everybody, probably won't just flush him away ), Levert ( just go praised by Durant, so he is staying )... yea that's the list. 2 names, zero interest in teams to trade them.

One who might be traded is Buddy Hield, who makes much more money and Magic can't even make a deal without adding almost $10M to match salaries.

It doesn't just hurt one guy, it hurts the entire team. It hurts ball movement, it affects attitude, it damages chemistry, it promotes selfish basketball, it makes it hard for other guys to fit in on the court or establish a strong role and that hurts development and winning. It doesn't take a genius to see this team is not close and is very clique-ish.

Fournier and Vuc are not bad players. They are just bad leaders and their influence on this team is toxic. There's a reason why there is no drop off when they are putting up DNPs due to injury.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#1439 » by Ducklett » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:36 am

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:I gotta give you props for being the leader of the Buddy Ball movement. :lol:

Derozan- max contract

It doesn't just hurt one guy, it hurts the entire team. It hurts ball movement, it affects attitude, it damages chemistry, it promotes selfish basketball, it makes it hard for other guys to fit in on the court or establish a strong role and that hurts development and winning. It doesn't take a genius to see this team is not close and is very clique-ish.

Fournier and Vuc are not bad players. They are just bad leaders and their influence on this team is toxic. There's a reason why there is no drop off when they are putting up DNPs due to injury.

Remember those times that Oladipo, Tobias Harris, KOQ, and other players that left the Magic talked about their time here and everyone just playing for themselves/their numbers and there was no teamwork or chemistry. Turns out Evan and Vuc are still here after running those guys through that ****. Why do you think that would change?

Keep Vuc, dump Evan's trash arse.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1440 » by Skin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 am

Ducklett wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Derozan- max contract

Remember those times that Oladipo, Tobias Harris, KOQ, and other players that left the Magic talked about their time here and everyone just playing for themselves/their numbers and there was no teamwork or chemistry. Turns out Evan and Vuc are still here after running those guys through that ****. Why do you think that would change?

Keep Vuc, dump Evan's trash arse.

Yep. That's the culture of selfishness that ultimately formed buddy ball. Oladipo said there was a certain unnamed Magic player that he would never want to play with again.

It's so bad, I don't wanna say it... but I almost wonder if it's centered on some kind of pro-Euro racism. I gotta give them credit for their bond though. They got each other big new deals during contract seasons... they broke down Ibaka (who was all excited to bring what he learned to ORL, but soon realized that it would run on deaf ears)... they killed Biyombo (who was treated as a virus and outsider from the start)... Fournier ripped Vogel for trying Gordon at SF.... not to mention the time he called Gordon selfish for having a scoring career night. lol

When Oladipo was here, the team used to do all kinds of bonding activities, posting all over twitter... and now you don't see anything like that. If you do, it's in the same small groups.

Return to Orlando Magic