ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers roster, what's next?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#61 » by donemilio21 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 pm

This year was it. We had to get to the finals this year, so we could have leverage to get FAs sign with us for vet minimums. That's how we got our deep roster and of course by using last of our draft picks. So we are really stuck with our current roster, we can sign guys we have bird rights to. that's it really.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#62 » by Clemenza » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 pm

This is what's coming next year for us along with an improved much stronger Zubac. Letting go of some of Doc's favorites might be a blessing in disguise. There's got to be some sort of "trust the process" percentage along with the signing of name brand free agents to make us a complete organization

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#63 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Jeremy Lin?

When was the last time he played in the NBA?
NickP
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#64 » by NickP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:43 pm

We need a good solid ball handling PG. Bev has a great heart but he's clearly not going to cut it.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#65 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:35 pm

I rewatched Paul George's VC after game 7 and boy it's disgusting. Him saying "this wasn't a Championship or Bust season for us" is unreal. I mean denying what just happened the ultimate choke, not accepting that you were broken and trying to normalize the results in that conference is really hard for me to tolerate.

Guy shows all the signals what type of players you should get rid of but ironically the only guy we can't move(even if Kawhi would be on board with kicking him out) because of how much we invest on him comparing to what we can get for him. You don't win in the market if you sell low and buy high. He's just a one year rental, mentally checked out ugly veteran player for any team make a move for him.

If Ballmer wants his new arena full with healthy fanbase, he needs his executives to create a team that plays team basketball. No fanbase can be created If your "alpha" guys Bev-Lou-PG-Harrell-Morris bullying everyones darling of Doncic,Jokic, Lillards of the world. And, there is no championship won by those players would provide the shortcut he seeks to get a fanbase in 2024. I believe he is still a businessman and will see that the team becomes a joke if he won't demand a change for lot of this.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#66 » by SK21209 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 pm

NickP wrote:We need a good solid ball handling PG. Bev has a great heart but he's clearly not going to cut it.

He also just can't stay healthy/stay out of foul trouble. I want to keep Bev because he is a positive contributor to his team but we can't rely on him too much. I really want to get Satoransky from Chicago or Tyus Jones from Memphis as an under-the-radar starting point guard.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#67 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Kawhi said the Clippers have to improve their basketball IQ and develop chemistry, like championship teams do.

"We just couldn't make no shots," said Leonard, who shot 1-11 in the 2nd half. "That's when it comes to the team chemistry, knowing what we should run to get the ball in spots or just if someone's getting doubled or they're packing the paint, try to make other guys make shots, and we gotta know what exact spots we need to be.

"And you know, just gotta carry over and get smarter as a team. Get smarter. Basketball IQ got to get better."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29895810/coach-doc-rivers-says-take-blame-la-clippers-eliminated-playoffs
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#68 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Clemenza wrote:Letting go of some of Doc's favorites might be a blessing in disguise.

We say this every year and then Doc finds a new favorite to cost us games. No matter what happens with the roster, this franchise has a permanent second-round ceiling as long as Doc is still here.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Post#69 » by og15 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

It’s extremely risky to send PG when he’s suppose to be about home. Talks of loyalty will come into play

It's a tough look, considering Blake just got sent away not too long ago after signing a long contract. You don't want to have a reputation among stars of being a team willing to dump them so soon after any sign of trouble.

I don't think it is the right move unless one is getting a clearly and no question better player, and I don't know what clearly better player would be available for him.

I think you have to have some value to consistency and growing together with your main pieces while adjusting the periphery. Trading one of your two stars after their first season together is just not the best way to go.

Nah nah nah.
Reputation schmeputation.

People are smarter than thinking in these broad brush strokes - particularly the ones whose opinions are gonna matter. They’ll know Playoff P is not that guy and we weren’t going to waste another year of Kawhi Prime on it.

Is the goal to keep Kawhi here for the rest of his prime or to flame out again with PG because we sre chasing consistency.

I understand. Consistency helps, not consistency in every single area, of course you need to make changes every season, but swapping out stars every season is not the way. Trading PG with one year left on his contract when whoever gets him doesn’t know if he will stay means he’s not going to get you a player that is as good as him, even with all his flaws and inconsistencies. You can’t trade him for anything other than a star because the goal is to keep Kawhi, and if you lose after trading PG for solid non-star players, then the chances of keeping Kawhi might not be so good.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#70 » by donemilio21 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 pm

og15 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:It's a tough look, considering Blake just got sent away not too long ago after signing a long contract. You don't want to have a reputation among stars of being a team willing to dump them so soon after any sign of trouble.

I don't think it is the right move unless one is getting a clearly and no question better player, and I don't know what clearly better player would be available for him.

I think you have to have some value to consistency and growing together with your main pieces while adjusting the periphery. Trading one of your two stars after their first season together is just not the best way to go.

Nah nah nah.

People are smarter than thinking in these broad brush strokes - particularly the ones whose opinions are gonna matter. They’ll know Playoff P is not that guy and we weren’t going to waste another year of Kawhi Prime on it.

Is the goal to keep Kawhi here for the rest of his prime or to flame out again with PG because we sre chasing consistency.

I understand. Consistency helps, not consistency in every single area, of course you need to make changes every season, but swapping out stars every season is not the way. Trading PG with one year left on his contract when whoever gets him doesn’t know if he will stay means he’s not going to get you a player that is as good as him, even with all his flaws and inconsistencies. You can’t trade him for anything other than a star because the goal is to keep Kawhi, and if you lose after trading PG for solid non-star players, then the chances of keeping Kawhi might not be so good.

I think it is clear that Kawhi will not be successful as long as we don't have a coach who is a master tactician. He had that with Popovich and with Nurse. If Ballmer wants to keep Doc, then Kawhi is clearly the wrong player for this team.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#71 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:13 pm

og15 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:It's a tough look, considering Blake just got sent away not too long ago after signing a long contract. You don't want to have a reputation among stars of being a team willing to dump them so soon after any sign of trouble.

Nah nah nah.

We're gonna lose him if we keep it as is WHEN we lose next year. This team is not good enough. We cannot beat LAL, Dallas, or Denver next year.

It's time to have the talk with Kawhi:
- We bent over backwards to do bring him here.
- Win now mode with this roster for next season may not be it given our situation.
- He needs to spot us a year (his age 30 season), minimum, so we can make years 31-35 work for him.

Can we be the LA Clippers ever again?
Or do we have the continue being the Los Angeles OMG-If-We-Dont-Do-This-Right-Kawhi-Will-Do-Thats that we've been for 2 years?

Guy has given our franchise ONE season....ONE...one load managed season and did not provide a CF appearance at that either.
Sheesh.
Give us SOME ROOM to manuever for ourselves and not you and your uncle.
smfh.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#72 » by LACtdom » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:47 am

It's probably a long shot and maybe not even possible, but what are people's thoughts on overpaying for Dragic?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#73 » by og15 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Nah nah nah.

We're gonna lose him if we keep it as is WHEN we lose next year. This team is not good enough. We cannot beat LAL, Dallas, or Denver next year.

It's time to have the talk with Kawhi:
- We bent over backwards to do bring him here.
- Win now mode with this roster for next season may not be it given our situation.
- He needs to spot us a year (his age 30 season), minimum, so we can make years 31-35 work for him.

Can we be the LA Clippers ever again?
Or do we have the continue being the Los Angeles OMG-If-We-Dont-Do-This-Right-Kawhi-Will-Do-Thats that we've been for 2 years?

Guy has given our franchise ONE season....ONE...one load managed season and did not provide a CF appearance at that either.
Sheesh.
Give us SOME ROOM to manuever for ourselves and not you and your uncle.
smfh.
Is there a better star or better group of players that George can be traded for to make the team a stronger contender? Remember, this is who George can be traded for with 1 guaranteed year left on his contract and with no confirmation to the team he’s going to that he will re-sign. Sure he could be traded for someone like Westbrook, but who wants that? One I can think of would be someone like Embiid for example if Philly decides they are choosing Simmons over him, George would be a guy to trade for that fits better with Simmons. Of course with him, there’s the injury concerns.

Changes should be made, there are players who can be re-signed and then used for trades (Harrell, Morris, Green), and Shamet can be used as a package with those players to get other players if the trade makes sense. There’s free agency obviously, the roster isn’t stuck how it is, and even with his faults, George is still a better 2nd option than 90% of the teams in the league have.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#74 » by og15 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:51 am

LACtdom wrote:It's probably a long shot and maybe not even possible, but what are people's thoughts on overpaying for Dragic?

Clippers have no cap space, sign and trade would hard cap the team, so they can’t do that. So the only option is MLE, which would be a below market offer for him.
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by LACtdom » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:00 am

og15 wrote:
LACtdom wrote:It's probably a long shot and maybe not even possible, but what are people's thoughts on overpaying for Dragic?

Clippers have no cap space, sign and trade would hard cap the team, so they can’t do that. So the only option is MLE, which would be a below market offer for him.

I envisioned something like a Sign and Trade involving Dragic, Trez and Morris.
After the PG trade we have mortgaged our future so may as well go "All In".
Miami have up and coming players like Nunn so may not want to overpay for Dragic.
In Dragic's eyes he would be going from one contender to another so basketball-wise it wouldn't be the worst idea.

I'm worried that if we get a cheaper point guard it will turn out like Bev (close but not quite good enough).
At the end of the day we can't rely on ISO basketball and need a starting facilitator.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#76 » by Chronz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:48 am

SK21209 wrote:Let Harrell walk. He’s a much better player than he showed in the bubble, but the team needs to show confidence in Zubac. Maybe Marc Gasol or Ibaka as backup center.

We also need a point guard as we rely too much on Bev (always injured/in foul trouble) and Lou (can’t defend). VanVleet would be perfect but there’s no way we can get him. I really don’t know what the free agency options are. Wildcard option is starting Shamet at PG.

lol, bring the raptors to kawhi. I actually had the same post in another forum, thats about as good as we can do, hopefully sign and trade trez to a team for some cheap assets.

Do we resign Morris? What about finding a stretch-4 or a 2-way 4
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#77 » by Chronz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:49 am

LACtdom wrote:
og15 wrote:

Miami have up and coming players like Nunn so may not want to overpay for Dragic.
In Dragic's eyes he would be going from one contender to another so basketball-wise it wouldn't be the worst idea.

I'm worried that if we get a cheaper point guard it will turn out like Bev (close but not quite good enough).
At the end of the day we can't rely on ISO basketball and need a starting facilitator.

Im starting to come around on getting the ball out of PG/Kawhi's hands in order to relieve them of the burden and allow them to thrive as secondary playmakers on close outs and scrambling defenses. Might even allow them to do more defensively too.
LACtdom
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by LACtdom » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:47 am

Chronz wrote:
LACtdom wrote:
og15 wrote:Clippers have no cap space, sign and trade would hard cap the team, so they can’t do that. So the only option is MLE, which would be a below market offer for him.

Im starting to come around on getting the ball out of PG/Kawhi's hands in order to relieve them of the burden and allow them to thrive as secondary playmakers on close outs and scrambling defenses. Might even allow them to do more defensively too.

I agree. The biggest issue with Leonard being the primary ball handler is they can double straight away. If Leonard / PG get the ball as a result of ball movement then the defense will most likely be rotating which will make life easier for our stars. PG is great at attacking the basket but if he has to dribble the air out of the ball first it ends up being a disaster.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#79 » by NickP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Such fantastic ideas. Really. But unless we make the biggest change required all this is bull crap. And that's Doc. You give him all the talent in the world and he'll figure out a way to fcuk it up. Doc needs at least 3 to 4 of the best players in their prime and he will give you one ring. That's his ceiling. No matter who plays for him. He'll call them mentally weak blah blah. Until we have this fraud coaching the team it really doesn't matter.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#80 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:51 pm

NickP wrote:Doc needs at least 3 to 4 of the best players in their prime and he will give you one ring.

Honestly, even that alone wasn't enough. On top of the stacked roster, Doc also needed:

- A weak Eastern Conference
- No other team in the league having anywhere near as much talent
- Thibs coaching the defense
- Bynum getting injured

And they STILL barely won that ring in spite of Doc. The under .500 Hawks took that team to Game 7. So did LeBron all by himself. In typical Doc fashion, they didn't win a single series in less than 6 games. This was arguably the least impressive and least convincing championship of all time, but it's been milked harder than the Miracle Mets.

Meanwhile, the Clippers are still delusional enough to think this guy can win anything with less talented rosters and less favorable circumstances.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers