ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers roster, what's next?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#81 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:09 pm

LACtdom wrote:It's probably a long shot and maybe not even possible, but what are people's thoughts on overpaying for Dragic?

He's a Free Agent but doubtful to leave that team.

I would look for Spencer Dinwiddie whom has only 10 million dollar expiring contract in 2021. Nets Bringin Caris, will pay handsomely for Joe Harris while KD-Kyrie and DJ out there lots of guys eating money&role leaving scraps for the Dinwiddie in his contract year. There is the window, there is the opportunity. By the way he's into tech startups so Ballmer's connections might be the ultimate game changer for him to ask for a trade in here.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#82 » by Clemenza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:09 pm

NickP wrote:We need a good solid ball handling PG. Bev has a great heart but he's clearly not going to cut it.

Hopefully Pat Bev is humbled and down to get to work. His shtick is over with. Its gotta be all about ballin' and wins from here on out if he's still with us next season. I didn't like all the sideline antics he did while in street clothes. Something was telling me it might come back and bite us in the ass somehow. Morris shtick was tolerable cause he still went out there and competed. I'm wondering if Mann can improve his pg abilities in the off season.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#83 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:21 pm

DieHardFan wrote:
LACtdom wrote:It's probably a long shot and maybe not even possible, but what are people's thoughts on overpaying for Dragic?

I would look for Spencer Dinwiddie whom has only 10 million dollar expiring contract in 2021. Nets Bringin Caris, will pay handsomely for Joe Harris while KD-Kyrie and DJ out there lots of guys eating money&role leaving scraps for the Dinwiddie in his contract year. There is the window, there is the opportunity. By the way he's into tech startups so Ballmer's connections might be the ultimate game changer for him to ask for a trade in here.

The last thing this team needs is another me-first distraction like Dinwiddie. Just like most of our current players, he talks way too much trash and doesn't back it up with any actual team success. And he's another one of those Sixth Man of the Year contenders, which at this point automatically makes me doubt that he could be relied on in the playoffs.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#84 » by NickP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:29 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NickP wrote:Doc needs at least 3 to 4 of the best players in their prime and he will give you one ring.

Honestly, even that alone wasn't enough. On top of the stacked roster, Doc also needed:

- A weak Eastern Conference
- No other team in the league having anywhere near as much talent
- Thibs coaching the defense
- Bynum getting injured

And they STILL barely won that ring in spite of Doc. The under .500 Hawks took that team to Game 7. So did LeBron all by himself. In typical Doc fashion, they didn't win a single series in less than 6 games. This was arguably the least impressive and least convincing championship of all time, but it's been milked harder than the Miracle Mets.

Meanwhile, the Clippers are still delusional enough to think this guy can win anything with less talented rosters and less favorable circumstances.

Exactly. Doc wins one ring and he's given God status. I wonder what guys like Carlisle and Spo have to do to be revered like Doc.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect

Post#85 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:

The last thing this team needs is another me-first distraction like Dinwiddie. Just like most of our current players, he talks way too much trash and doesn't back it up with any actual team success. And he's another one of those Sixth Man of the Year contenders, which at this point automatically makes me doubt that he could be relied on in the playoffs.

You have a point that he's unproven on playoffs. But if you compare him to Lou will this year for example, Spencer has higher FT, 3ptA and Assist rates while same To rate. I watched a lot of him with Kyrie and D'lo, in the eyetest he's just fine with off the ball movement and catch and Shoot roles. And most importantly he's way more consistent than Lou ever was on creating offense for Joe Harris, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince etc.

I saw him not only a replacement of Lou but also a starter and piece to send Beverley to the bench. I see him fit well with Kawhi&George on the wings. Is there any much options available without sending one of PG&Kawhi to get actual, proven guard?
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#86 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 pm

og15 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
og15 wrote:I understand. Consistency helps, not consistency in every single area, of course you need to make changes every season, but swapping out stars every season is not the way. Trading PG with one year left on his contract when whoever gets him doesn’t know if he will stay means he’s not going to get you a player that is as good as him, even with all his flaws and inconsistencies. You can’t trade him for anything other than a star because the goal is to keep Kawhi, and if you lose after trading PG for solid non-star players, then the chances of keeping Kawhi might not be so good.

We're gonna lose him if we keep it as is WHEN we lose next year. This team is not good enough. We cannot beat LAL, Dallas, or Denver next year.

It's time to have the talk with Kawhi:
- We bent over backwards to do bring him here.
- Win now mode with this roster for next season may not be it given our situation.
- He needs to spot us a year (his age 30 season), minimum, so we can make years 31-35 work for him.

Can we be the LA Clippers ever again?
Or do we have the continue being the Los Angeles OMG-If-We-Dont-Do-This-Right-Kawhi-Will-Do-Thats that we've been for 2 years?

Guy has given our franchise ONE season....ONE...one load managed season and did not provide a CF appearance at that either.
Sheesh.
Give us SOME ROOM to manuever for ourselves and not you and your uncle.
smfh.
Is there a better star or better group of players that George can be traded for to make the team a stronger contender? Remember, this is who George can be traded for with 1 guaranteed year left on his contract and with no confirmation to the team he’s going to that he will re-sign. Sure he could be traded for someone like Westbrook, but who wants that? One I can think of would be someone like Embiid for example if Philly decides they are choosing Simmons over him, George would be a guy to trade for that fits better with Simmons. Of course with him, there’s the injury concerns.

Changes should be made, there are players who can be re-signed and then used for trades (Harrell, Morris, Green), and Shamet can be used as a package with those players to get other players if the trade makes sense. There’s free agency obviously, the roster isn’t stuck how it is, and even with his faults, George is still a better 2nd option than 90% of the teams in the league have.

WHat matters is our plan?

Is it Giannis in 2021 or not?
If it's Giannis, I can see a world of keeping Paul and letting him and Kawhi expire before the summer.

If Giannis isn't in our plans, I think we need to move off Paul George, regardless of whether there's a better player coming and try to get something for him (picks too). Why? Because he will mean nothing to us when Kawhi doesnt want to play with him in summer 2021.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#87 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:23 pm

og15 wrote:Is there a better star or better group of players that George can be traded for to make the team a stronger contender? Remember, this is who George can be traded for with 1 guaranteed year left on his contract and with no confirmation to the team he’s going to that he will re-sign. Sure he could be traded for someone like Westbrook, but who wants that? One I can think of would be someone like Embiid for example if Philly decides they are choosing Simmons over him, George would be a guy to trade for that fits better with Simmons. Of course with him, there’s the injury concerns.

Changes should be made, there are players who can be re-signed and then used for trades (Harrell, Morris, Green), and Shamet can be used as a package with those players to get other players if the trade makes sense. There’s free agency obviously, the roster isn’t stuck how it is, and even with his faults, George is still a better 2nd option than 90% of the teams in the league have.

I'm not specifically in favor of moving Paul George, but I guess we just don't know the answer to your first question. There's a pretty high chance IMO the answer is no, but I don't think 'No' is going to be the starting point for the FO when they review the season and how they want to proceed from here. It's dependent on another team with a certain situation that makes for a good trade partner, and that situation might not exist- or it might.

We have a lot of talent signed on reasonable contracts, which should mean in general we have assets to potentially improve the team. We have talent, but we lacked chemistry and our play on the floor never really measured up to the talent- especially in the playoffs.

So to me, within the closed doors of the war room, you start with a totally blank whiteboard and proceed from there. I remember reading a Jerry West article months ago where he said that the groundwork for many personnel moves actually comes months in advance, and through timing or circumstance finally happen to come to fruition later at some point. So I think in his mind there will be certain possibilities to be explored, some more likely than others, and we'll see what kind of plan they come up with. I do think West thinks and acts very purposefully- he has a game plan in mind and doesn't just try to incrementally improve here and there and hope it works out. The biggest piece is Kawhi, I think it's a given that we will be keeping him and trying to extend him as soon as possible. Everything else comes after that, what's the best way to build a team around him and win a title? And then if its Kawhi and PG, what's the best roster to have around them, and how do we get there?

Another thing to keep in mind, often its the fringe moves that end up adding up to something really significant. Zubac was acquired in an afterthought trade by the Lakers to clear cap space, we acquired a Miami 1st and Harkless in the same type of deal. Zubac has become a major rotation player for us, and the extra Miami #1 helped net us Paul George. So who knows what else might come our way, even if we don't have a ton of cap maneuverability. Also, we might do very little over the offseason, but mainly because West has some potential moves in mind that he believes will pan out at the midseason trade deadline. Somehow he seems to be very good not only at evaluating talent but reading the tea leaves on potential future opportunities (which goes back to his statement about groundwork for moves often being months or years in advance.)

I guess the TLDR version of my post is that I trust our FO with Jerry West, trust they won't be sitting on their asses, trust that they're going to flip over every rock to try to build a championship roster, and trust with Ballmer that money won't be the obstacle if it comes to that. The final result of this season was horrible, but it doesn't change what I think of the current Clipper front office.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#88 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:33 pm

A final note on Paul George- do you guys think that 1.) on the floor he makes for a good duo with Kawhi, and 2.) is he worth a supermax? (assuming that's what he is expecting or looking for?)

I think he's fine as a 1B to Kawhi, so mainly would focus on the rest of the team. I do question whether he's worth a supermax? Yes to a regular max though.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:20 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
og15 wrote:Is there a better star or better group of players that George can be traded for to make the team a stronger contender? Remember, this is who George can be traded for with 1 guaranteed year left on his contract and with no confirmation to the team he’s going to that he will re-sign. Sure he could be traded for someone like Westbrook, but who wants that? One I can think of would be someone like Embiid for example if Philly decides they are choosing Simmons over him, George would be a guy to trade for that fits better with Simmons. Of course with him, there’s the injury concerns.

I'm not specifically in favor of moving Paul George, but I guess we just don't know the answer to your first question. There's a pretty high chance IMO the answer is no, but I don't think 'No' is going to be the starting point for the FO when they review the season and how they want to proceed from here. It's dependent on another team with a certain situation that makes for a good trade partner, and that situation might not exist- or it might.

We have a lot of talent signed on reasonable contracts, which should mean in general we have assets to potentially improve the team. We have talent, but we lacked chemistry and our play on the floor never really measured up to the talent- especially in the playoffs.

So to me, within the closed doors of the war room, you start with a totally blank whiteboard and proceed from there. I remember reading a Jerry West article months ago where he said that the groundwork for many personnel moves actually comes months in advance, and through timing or circumstance finally happen to come to fruition later at some point. So I think in his mind there will be certain possibilities to be explored, some more likely than others, and we'll see what kind of plan they come up with. I do think West thinks and acts very purposefully- he has a game plan in mind and doesn't just try to incrementally improve here and there and hope it works out. The biggest piece is Kawhi, I think it's a given that we will be keeping him and trying to extend him as soon as possible. Everything else comes after that, what's the best way to build a team around him and win a title? And then if its Kawhi and PG, what's the best roster to have around them, and how do we get there?

Another thing to keep in mind, often its the fringe moves that end up adding up to something really significant. Zubac was acquired in an afterthought trade by the Lakers to clear cap space, we acquired a Miami 1st and Harkless in the same type of deal. Zubac has become a major rotation player for us, and the extra Miami #1 helped net us Paul George. So who knows what else might come our way, even if we don't have a ton of cap maneuverability. Also, we might do very little over the offseason, but mainly because West has some potential moves in mind that he believes will pan out at the midseason trade deadline. Somehow he seems to be very good not only at evaluating talent but reading the tea leaves on potential future opportunities (which goes back to his statement about groundwork for moves often being months or years in advance.)

I guess the TLDR version of my post is that I trust our FO with Jerry West, trust they won't be sitting on their asses, trust that they're going to flip over every rock to try to build a championship roster, and trust with Ballmer that money won't be the obstacle if it comes to that. The final result of this season was horrible, but it doesn't change what I think of the current Clipper front office.

This front office was succesfull on building relationships with other franchises for those trades, good on cap management and negotiating in silence. However they were also responsible for this mentally weak, leaderless, childish environment. Bunch of guys that shows no respect to each other, their opponents and to the game. This FO messed up big time as well on managing the season.

They were unable to see, read between the lines when they get scrubs like Marcus Morris whom being hated by everyone?

They stay silent when the supposed team leaders "playoff p&lou&pat" making joke with another teams failures on sidelines and social media?

The coaching staff failed to show authority clearly, all supposed veterans did whatever they want because of that. Meanwhile the main leader "kawhi" stayed as silent as the mountains, unable to show any presence, pressure to gain authority back? İmagine what would lbj or kobe or MJ would say to the coaching when they see their team liked that? And you know that our front office have a storyteller on the team? First ever aqcuired I don't even remember his name atm? Supposed to built this relationships?

We all already know the unreasonable coaching persistance from FO. They also failed big time on this team chemistry. I don't even know how much Jerry West involved, would be involve in the future but with all the virus he sould be in quarantine due to his age. Can't expect much from him.

In a nutshell i don't trust the FO as much as you do. They don't deserve it bro.
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#90 » by Vae Victus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:26 am

wco81 wrote:Jeremy Lin?

When was the last time he played in the NBA?

Last time he was in the NBA was with the Toronto Raptors when they won the chip.

The past year he's been in the Chinese Basketball Association, led his team to the playoffs and provided the eventual champs with their biggest challenge. He actually rose to the occasion and got his team up with double digit leads, then had to sit cuz in the CBA you cant have 2 foreign imports play on the floor at the same time. Then he gets targeted and beaten to a pulp and since the rest of his team has no decent guards, they got murdered by a full court press.

He looks mostly healthy, and i think he'd be a great 3rd string PG, or even a solid backup PG. He's a playmaker and most importantly he's a good soldier, he'll lay out his body for the team, and will be a positive locker room influence. Right now, i don think there's enough positive locker room guys to balance out the loud mouth knuckleheads.

I hope we try bringing Joakim Noah back next year as 3rd string big. I truly think he coulda made a difference against the Joker, whether to hassle him with his flopping and sneaky veteran ways.
James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#91 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:05 pm

I feel like that they need to upgrade the center position. I would say sign DeMarcus cousins.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#92 » by SK21209 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:57 pm

James2000 wrote:I feel like that they need to upgrade the center position. I would say sign DeMarcus cousins.

I've always liked Cousins but I have a bad feeling he would end up becoming just as much of a defensive liability as Trez was in the playoffs. I mean he's torn an Achilles, quad and ACL recently. I hope they take a look at Ibaka as a backup center.
James2000
Sophomore

Post#93 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 pm

Do you think ibaka would make a difference or do you think that he is too old? What about make a trade with Knicks for Randle?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#94 » by nickhx2 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:56 pm

ibaka i think would make a difference. i mean compare him to the zero defense/lost all the time harrell.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#95 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:57 pm

James2000 wrote:Do you think ibaka would make a difference or do you think that he is too old? What about make a trade with Knicks for Randle?

He would help and I’d take him, but I still have bad feelings about him ever since he socked Griffin in the balls on 2 different occasions
James2000
Sophomore

Post#96 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:09 pm

I don't think that we have enough assets to get Jared Allen from the nets but would he be good?
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#97 » by LamarWho » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm

It's pointless to talk about roster moves when that con man is still our coach. Want a championship? Sure but we'll need at least 4 all stars and 3 future hall of famers.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#98 » by nickhx2 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:41 pm

not pointless but he certainly makes things far more difficult. the way he sees basketball in a vacuum doesn't match normal logic. so if you take away those poor-fitting pieces that cause him to make poor matchup decisions, then he'll be better off.

trading lou and montrez are a start. acquiring defensive-minded players who can come off the bench would fix a million problems, because his version of good basketball doesn't prioritize defense from the second unit.
James2000
Sophomore

Post#99 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 pm

While I understand completely what you mean. However, let's be real here. This game should have been over by game 5 or at worst game 6. The center play has been atrocious with Harrell and zubac been a defensive liability and offense really suck.

In addition the players weren't being aggressive going to the hoop and were trying to draw a foul on the nuggets which wasn't successful. This is why I prefer the 80s ok 90s players because they don't try to play cute like trying to play in the refs hands. They played rugged and dominated their opponent
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#100 » by MartinRiggs » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:59 pm

I would keep Kawhi,PG,Mann,Kabengele+Reggie and Morris if possible. The rest would be available for trades. We need playmaker and defensive PF/C to guard Jokić,Davis,Giannis.

I am looking at free agents and some names sound good;Gasol,Ibaka,Favors,Tristan Thompson,Dragić,Crowder...

Return to Los Angeles Clippers