Re: LeBron James Says Receiving 16 Out Of 101 First-Place MVP Votes 'P----- Me Off'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

LeBron James Says Receiving 16 Out Of 101 First-Place MVP Votes 'P----- Me Off' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:14 pm

LeBron James spoke of his frustration after receiving just 16 out of 101 first-place votes for MVP following the Los Angeles Lakers' game 1 win over the Denver Nuggets.

Giannis Antetokounmpo won his second straight MVP after receiving 85 first-place votes. 

"Pissed me off. That's my true answer. It pissed me off, because out of 101 votes, I got 16 first-place votes. That's what pissed me off more than anything.

"You know, not saying that the winner wasn't deserving of the MVP. But that pissed me off. And I finished second a lot in my career, either from a championship, and now four times as an MVP," said James.

James, who has the MVP four times in his career, has also finished second in voting four times.

"I don't know how much we are really watching the game," added James.

James said he was also confused by his second place finish for Defensive Player of the Year during the 2012-13 season.

"I had a chance to be Defensive Player of the Year and also MVP in the same season. And that year Gasol was Defensive Player of the Year, but he made second-team All-Defense, OK. So that doesn't make sense. It's like being MVP of the league but you make second-team All-NBA. That's when I really started to look at things kind of like differently. I was like, how does that even make any sense?"

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: LeBron James Says Receiving 16 Out Of 101 First-Place MVP Votes 'P----- Me Off' 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm

Lebron gives the impression he's always relaxing on the court and conserving himself. He can also be quite passive.

I think this hurts his perception. But he deserves more than four MVP awards. He should have at least six.

I don't enjoy watching Lebron or Giannis play TBH and subsequently don't watch them much. But James is the better player still to this day.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:11 pm

It's a regular season award. LeBron hasn't been the best regular season player in probably 5-6 years. I think he's still has been the best player in the league over most of that span, but he hasn't outplayed other stars in the regular season. My assumption is he simply doesn't want to go all out day in and day out to have the best regular season numbers / record.

However, you don't get to complain when guys clearly have better regular seasons than you and you don't win the award, even if you are a better player that just didn't put in the effort. LeBron is focused on titles, as he should be, and takes care of his body, which is smart. However, it's stupid to do that then complain about this regular season award.

He probably deserved to win the award from around 07-08 to 13-14 and definitely got shorted a few, just like Jordan, because no one is going to give it to the same dude so many times in a row. Hard to say he's earned it since 13/14 though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 pm

Next year it may be less than 10 first-place votes :wink:
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#5 » by LesGrossman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Maybe he shouldnt team up with another 1st team NBA player if he wants more respect. LeBron is a coward, who is scared of failing and therefore avoids a direct challenge without massive backup, but at the same time begs for the respect that standalone fighters like Giannis or Lillard earn.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#6 » by LesGrossman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:43 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Lebron gives the impression he's always relaxing on the court and conserving himself. He can also be quite passive.

I think this hurts his perception. But he deserves more than four MVP awards. He should have at least six.

I don't enjoy watching Lebron or Giannis play TBH and subsequently don't watch them much. But James is the better player still to this day.

LOL he is not the better player. Give AD to Giannis and see what happens. Bron can be mroe than happy with 4 MVP's considering Kobe and Dirk had only one.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#7 » by jason bourne » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:55 pm

Giannis is overrated because he couldn't get out of the second round. Last year was the deepest he's been, but was eliminated in ECF. Yet, he keeps winning the awards despite he is a Pippen or maybe the third best player on the team. He definitely needs other top players in order to win, but his ego or stupidity prevents him from seeing the reality.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#8 » by RipCityKJ » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:27 pm

jason bourne wrote:Giannis is overrated because he couldn't get out of the second round. Last year was the deepest he's been, but was eliminated in ECF. Yet, he keeps winning the awards despite he is a Pippen or maybe the third best player on the team. He definitely needs other top players in order to win, but his ego or stupidity prevents him from seeing the reality.

Sounds like James Harden not Giannis
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by jason bourne » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:36 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
jason bourne wrote:Giannis is overrated because he couldn't get out of the second round. Last year was the deepest he's been, but was eliminated in ECF. Yet, he keeps winning the awards despite he is a Pippen or maybe the third best player on the team. He definitely needs other top players in order to win, but his ego or stupidity prevents him from seeing the reality.

Harden has gone deeper more times and can get to the rack when he wants. Not Giannis. Just wall and clog the paint on him. Now he mad and doing weird stuff with his team, owner.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#10 » by FreeBoosie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:05 pm

jason bourne wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

Harden has gone deeper more times and can get to the rack when he wants. Not Giannis. Just wall and clog the paint on him. Now he mad and doing weird stuff with his team, owner.

Well Harden’s been in the league longer and is also 5 years older than him so not a crazy feat. Giannis’s teams just got good and he’s been the one of the primary reasons why. Nobody was expecting him to be this good and he’s definitely overachieved or else he wouldn’t have been such a late 1st round pick and picked after scrubs like Anthony Bennett, Nerlens Noel, Cody Zeller, etc lol
Illuz10n
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#11 » by Illuz10n » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:24 am

Exactly look how LeBron realized he needed top players to win anything.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#12 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:41 am

There were a couple of larger articled on this that had more quotes from LeEgo. The one that caught my attention was this:

"I never came into this league saying I wanted to be an MVP or a champion. I've always just said I want to get better and better every single day and those things will take care of themselves."

Ummm...I'm gonna call HUGE BS on that!

He came into the league and has acted entitled since day one and sadly the NBA has enabled it all the way. No one's supposed to touch him without being called for a foul and he's supposed to be able to commit assault with no call. He's travelled more than the freakin' Grateful Dead. The worst part about it is that he's got the talent that doesn't need that assistance. But he becomes a whiner when he doesn't get his special treatment looking at officials in disbelief.

Since the first time he hit free agency he has done nothing but bounce around the league looking to assemble "super teams", hoping to amass the most championships possible. In each case he's forced teams to wipe out their long term planning for short term gain, then he bails and leaves them holding cap space and the rebuild bag. Lakers may survive it better than Miami and Cleveland provided they can find a good player to take their money after he leaves.

Newsflash LeBron...when you sit for a significant number of games or portions of games, it's hard for anyone to take you seriously as an MVP candidate. Call it injuries, load management or just time catching up, none of which I have an issue with, but don't also think you should be considered for an award in a year where you put up your second lowest PPG and lowest MPG in your career. Yes, they are still outstanding numbers for most players but not MVP worthy and the voters saw that.
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#13 » by Batsy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Illuz10n wrote:

Who has won a championship without another top 30 player on their team? You need the right horses to win the race.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#14 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:53 pm

He’s just doing his whiny version of Jordan after watching the last dance.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
arneil
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#15 » by arneil » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Sure LeBron....sure.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#16 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Batsy wrote:
Illuz10n wrote:

Who has won a championship without another top 30 player on their team? You need the right horses to win the race.

Kawhi, Dirk, Pistons.
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#17 » by boston_fan_ct » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:50 pm

sports writers and broadcasters vote for the award. end of message.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by jason bourne » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Batsy wrote:
Illuz10n wrote:

Exactly. If you put 28 yr old Michael Jordan in place of Giannis on the Bucks, I'm not certain they'll win a championship. I suppose his Pippen would be Khris Middleton. Brook Lopez would form their trio of best players. After that is a talent drop and we have Bledsoe, DiVicenzo, and Hill (based on this year's performances).

Compare that to his first championship with the 1991 Bulls who had Scottie Pippen, Bill Cartwright (33), Horace Grant (25), and shooters like John Paxson (30) and BJ Armstrong (23). Jordan won his second MVP that year.

This is probably why Giannis said he doesn't deserve MVP if he doesn't win a championship. However, he has no idea that he can't do it with the Bucks as constructed.

ImageImage
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#19 » by deeps6x » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:11 pm

whine b*tch, whine.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#20 » by Sinobas » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Take a helicoptor ride Lebron....

Return to Wiretap Discussion