Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1181 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:07 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
I can't recall - what GPU do you have today?

ETA: Nevermind, I can't read :lol:

980 Ti. The 5820k is the type of CPU I have.

I doubly-can't read. I thought later in your post said you had a 2070 (which I thought was a bold move to upgrade from).

This is what happens when you try to post on a message board while in meetings.

No worries. I have a high-end build from late 2015; only using two 1080p panels at 144hz so the 980 Ti has been overkill for most things. The only game that has been an issue has been RDR 2, which sits at a very playable 40fps. Figure with only 1080p panels and if the CPU bottlenecks the 3080, it might not be worth it. Just hold out maybe two more years to full rebuild and cross my fingers that Cyberpunk runs well at 1080p.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1182 » by jschligs » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:980 Ti. The 5820k is the type of CPU I have.

I doubly-can't read. I thought later in your post said you had a 2070 (which I thought was a bold move to upgrade from).

No worries. I have a high-end build from late 2015; only using two 1080p panels at 144hz so the 980 Ti has been overkill for most things. The only game that has been an issue has been RDR 2, which sits at a very playable 40fps. Figure with only 1080p panels and if the CPU bottlenecks the 3080, it might not be worth it. Just hold out maybe two more years to full rebuild and cross my fingers that Cyberpunk runs well at 1080p.

Gotta give you some props for rocking that 980Ti for as long as you did. I rocked my 8800GT for almost 7 years and it was brutal the last few years. I've had a 1070 for 3.5 years now but it's time to enter the next gen.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1183 » by WRau1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 pm

I guess Walmart, Sam's and BestBuy are dicking people over on their PS5 preorders. Some people are sharing screenshots of being able to preorder the console along with some accessories but when they actually pay, they get charged for everything but the console due to it being out of stock. That's pretty messed up.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#1184 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:07 pm

WRau1 wrote:I guess Walmart, Sam's and BestBuy are dicking people over on their PS5 preorders. Some people are sharing screenshots of being able to preorder the console along with some accessories but when they actually pay, they get charged for everything but the console due to it being out of stock. That's pretty messed up.

My Sam's order came with a notification I wouldn't be charged until it ships.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1185 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:37 pm

jschligs wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Gotta give you some props for rocking that 980Ti for as long as you did. I rocked my 8800GT for almost 7 years and it was brutal the last few years. I've had a 1070 for 3.5 years now but it's time to enter the next gen.

Well, like I said, it feels like I'm either at a point where I do the full tear down or I hold out a little longer. I suppose it doesn't matter much at the moment because the 3080 sold out in second this morning.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#1186 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Game Pass for PC officially left "beta" today. It'll begin at $10/mo beginning 10/1. Still a hell of a deal, but I'll be cancelling for a while as a result of everything about to come out. I'll pick it up again most likely when I pick up the $300 version of the new X. Looking forward to that PC/console sync.

Mario 3D All Stars tomorrow. Plan to play that during the day, then switch over to the new PoE league at 4p EST :) I joined a private league and a guild, so really looking forward to playing this league to try out that smaller and more close-knit atmosphere.

BG3 EA at the end of the month. I'll hop over to that then or shortly after. Will ride out this trio, plus Tony Hawk, until Cyberpunk.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1187 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:04 pm

Ugh.

So while the new Xbox will be backwards compatible throughout the entire history of the console, the PS5 will only be compatible to the PS4.

That sucks.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#1188 » by machu46 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:13 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Ugh.

So while the new Xbox will be backwards compatible throughout the entire history of the console, the PS5 will only be compatible to the PS4.

That sucks.

Yeah, we already knew that though. It's definitely a bit of a bummer. I have some old Xbox games that I still like to play from time to time (like NCAA 14) but my 360 is so bad at this point (have to do that old dumb trick to unjam the disc drive any time I want to open it/it doesn't read the disc most of the time anyways) and it's such a hassle to pull it out and get it plugged in again. Cool to know I could theoretically replace it with the new Xbox if I choose to buy it at some point. I'm definitely a PlayStation guy at this point though; the exclusives are just too good and my friends that I play online with are all PlayStation guys so it is what it is.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1189 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
jschligs wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:Ended up pre-ordering a PS5 when amazon made them available around 10:45pm last night.

Lucky. I tried every site for a couple of hours and no dice. Most just got stuck loading.

Hopefully I’ll randomly find one in stores like I did the Switch.

MikeIsGood wrote:.

In stock at Sam's Club.

Pre-order bundles here.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1190 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:30 pm

Can't even load that page DB. But appreciate the link regardless - keep sharing if you find em, guys!

What playing SM64 again has taught me is that, though nostalgia is powerful, holy **** the controls/camera for this game were just downright awful compared to today's standards. Still having fun and will be finishing this, but I've got my fingers crossed for a bit smoother experience in Sunshine and Galaxy, neither of which I have ever played.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#1191 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:14 pm

My dumbass is going to give Path of Exile another go. Trying to follow a build guide but I even have trouble understanding that :lol:
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1192 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:47 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:My dumbass is going to give Path of Exile another go. Trying to follow a build guide but I even have trouble understanding that :lol:

Heist is **** awesome. So much fun.

I would offer help in-game, but I'm in a private league this time around which means I can't interact with your character at all. Sorry! That said, I am more than happy to help you (or anyone) out with any questions or tips. Tip 1 would be to run this guide (if you aren't too far along). It is the perfect introduction to PoE.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#1193 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:00 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:My dumbass is going to give Path of Exile another go. Trying to follow a build guide but I even have trouble understanding that :lol:

I would offer help in-game, but I'm in a private league this time around which means I can't interact with your character at all. Sorry! That said, I am more than happy to help you (or anyone) out with any questions or tips. Tip 1 would be to run this guide (if you aren't too far along). It is the perfect introduction to PoE.

Thanks. I was actually looking at this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2774965

Any thoughts? I've only played ~15 hours of PoE but I remember having fun with summon skeletons.
#FreeChuckDiesel
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,205

Post#1194 » by PintSizedBox10 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:14 am

Picked up Divinity Original Sin: 2 on steam the other day since it was on sale. Always heard it was great but I was a bit hesitant due to the turn-based combat. It's been great so far.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1195 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:17 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Thanks. I was actually looking at this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2774965

Any thoughts? I've only played ~15 hours of PoE but I remember having fun with summon skeletons.

I haven't truly played a summoner before. But, I will say that this guide looks well written and pretty new player friendly, and doesn't appear to be reliant upon expensive or difficult to obtain uniques. And that all bodes well :)
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1196 » by Sauce Boss » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Looks like no one mentioned this, but the recommended system requirements for Cyberpunk are...pretty low? Recommended is a i7-4790, 12GB ram, and a GTX 1060. I was worried I’d be way behind, but sounds like unless I want ray tracing I’ll be plenty fine. Kind of happy I didn’t blow a bunch of cash on a RTX 3080 or a whole new PC.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1197 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Finished Ori and BF this afternoon. Only quibble was a story that never really grabbed me. The gameplay was so great that I really don't care, though. It was so great.

Jumped straight into Ori and the Wilo Wisps. An hour into it and I'm so happy with the gameplay changes they've made, major and subtle. They took something I thought was perfect and made it much better. If you're a Game Pass subscriber or looking for a reason to join, these two games are it.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1198 » by jschligs » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:38 am

Sauce Boss wrote:Looks like no one mentioned this, but the recommended system requirements for Cyberpunk are...pretty low? Recommended is a i7-4790, 12GB ram, and a GTX 1060. I was worried I’d be way behind, but sounds like unless I want ray tracing I’ll be plenty fine. Kind of happy I didn’t blow a bunch of cash on a RTX 3080 or a whole new PC.

I absolutely do not need to upgrade from my i5-7600K and 1070, but I found a few people interested in just my mobo+cpu+GPU+RAM for about $500. I've been wanting to upgrade and can definitely stomach a Ryzen 3700X and 3080 with the $500 from my current build. I have an 850 watt PSU, great case, and tons of HDDs so it's no need to do much.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1199 » by crkone » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Holy ****

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |