Is Anthony Davis the best player in basketball?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Re: Is Anthony Davis the best player in basketball? 

Post#101 » by gorz » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:28 pm

Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:Where is this thread coming from? He is not even the best player in LA, much less the NBA

Take AD off this team and lakers miss the playoffs for 2nd straight year. AD took a less talented pelicans team to the playoffs and swept a talented blazers team. I am fan of Lebron but he is getting too much credit hes not better than AD at this point in his career.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#102 » by JordansBulls » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:41 pm

gorz wrote:
Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:Where is this thread coming from? He is not even the best player in LA, much less the NBA

Take AD off this team and lakers miss the playoffs for 2nd straight year. AD took a less talented pelicans team to the playoffs and swept a talented blazers team. I am fan of Lebron but he is getting too much credit hes not better than AD at this point in his career.

Excellent post! You truly are wise!
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#103 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:10 am

gorz wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:You can't build the offense trough him. So he's definitely not the best player for me, because that is one criteria I take consideration.

He's an elite finisher at the rim, good shooter for a big man, and he's definitely a great defender. However is passing isn't that great, and his creation in both the post and facing up to score is good but far from great.

I don't think he can win anything without an absolutely great wing or PG to generate offense for him. That's why I don't think I can put him over LeBron, Kawih, Durant, Steph Curry or James Harden.

However what he brings to the table is pretty unique in the NBA these days. With the Rockets having no bigs on the floor he might feast under the basket. And even against the Clippers I wouldn't count it out, since the best players are in the perimeter. That might, however, effect shot creation for Davis.

YOU could say the same for tim duncan and many ppl on rgm consider him better than kobe bryant.

YOu could say the same for Shaq, Giannis, Nikola Jokic etc.

Shaq created a ton of things for others. His gravity inside, his presence was absolutely off the charts. You took one part of the post about Davis and forgot the rest cause the point is much bigger than what you bolded.

Actually Jokic's passing skills are fantastic to create offense.

Giannis has maybe the gravity inside. But after the 3-0 tonight I might think I overrated him a lot.

San Antonio ran a ton of offense trough Duncan. And he had no great wing in 03 when he won it all (at least not superstar level anyways).

Sorry, but I actually watched a ton of NBA during the 2000s. Even much more than I do nowadays.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#104 » by MugzZo » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:38 am

JordansBulls wrote:Best player on the Lakers this year and the stats and analytics show that.
This is a fact that nobody really touches on because they are to focus on "LeBron". Without AD it would be a first round exit at best.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#105 » by Mickey8 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:43 am

Leonard is the top player as of right now, he's ridiculously good on both end of the floor.
dribble1614
Pro Prospect
And1: 766

Post#106 » by dribble1614 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 am

bump
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#107 » by Prokorov » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:19 am

dribble1614 wrote:Through the playoffs so far, Anthony Davis:

29.8 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.6 bpg, 1.4 spg, 57.3 FG%, 38.9 3-pt%, 37.3 PER (!)

His PER is by far and away the highest in the league so far. Looks like this guy has been underrated all season long with many not considering him a top 5 player.

he isnt the best player on his own team.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#108 » by JordansBulls » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:30 am

[url][/url]
Prokorov wrote:

29.8 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.6 bpg, 1.4 spg, 57.3 FG%, 38.9 3-pt%, 37.3 PER (!)

His PER is by far and away the highest in the league so far. Looks like this guy has been underrated all season long with many not considering him a top 5 player.

Leading team in scoring and highest PER.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#109 » by Prokorov » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:35 am

JordansBulls wrote:[url][/url]
Prokorov wrote:

Leading team in scoring and highest PER.

irrelevant
dribble1614
Pro Prospect

Post#110 » by dribble1614 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 am

bump again. becoming very clear that lebron simply has no chance of winning it all without this guy and is probably even being outplayed by him.
dribble1614
Pro Prospect

Post#111 » by dribble1614 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 am

anthony davis is the best player in basketball. just look at the playoffs stats and impact.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#112 » by LesGrossman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:18 am

dribble1614 wrote:anthony davis is the best player in basketball. just look at the playoffs stats and impact.

I think thats a bit overboard; i'm not sure he's the best player in this series, but the competition is not on his team. He's clearly the best player on the Lakers...i wonder where he ended up in the MVP voting, and why.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#113 » by syntax » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:22 am

AD was the primary defender on Westbrook. He can guard anyone. He is an absolute beast on both ends. Anyone denying he is a top 1-2 player needs their head read.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,850

Post#114 » by Woodsanity » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:24 am

He's been better than Lebron in the playoffs clearly.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#115 » by Pythagoras » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:24 am

I'm don't know if I'm ready to put him over Harden yet, plus I want to see what KD does when he comes back, but maybe we can stop pretending like Kawhi is better than him and he’s being carried by Lebron.
Numbers rule the universe.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#116 » by kuclas » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:27 am

He’s not the best player in basketball. But he’s close. Top 4-7 player. Just can’t be the alpha dog. Needs sickick.

Also for those who think he’s a center or can play center. AD can’t guard real centers. I’ve been saying this for a long time. And he’s not that good of an on ball defender. His real strength on defense is help defense.

Look at Jokic drive and muscle AD on Denver last possession. That’s why AD doesn’t like guarding real centers.

He’s great offensive player though. No critique from me.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#117 » by syntax » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 am

kuclas wrote:He’s not the best player in basketball. But he’s close. Top 4-7 player. Just can’t be the alpha dog. Needs sickick.

Also for those who think he’s a center or can play center. AD can’t guard real centers. I’ve been saying this for a long time. [b]And he’s not that good of an on ball defender.[/b] His real strength on defense is help defense.

Look at Jokic drive and muscle AD on Denver last possession. That’s why AD doesn’t like guarding real centers.

He guarded Westbrook 1 on 1 for a series.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#118 » by grindtime22 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:33 am

syntax wrote:
kuclas wrote:He’s not the best player in basketball. But he’s close. Top 4-7 player. Just can’t be the alpha dog. Needs sickick.

Also for those who think he’s a center or can play center. AD can’t guard real centers. I’ve been saying this for a long time. [b]And he’s not that good of an on ball defender.[/b] His real strength on defense is help defense.

He guarded Westbrook 1 on 1 for a series.

which allowed him to simply be a help defender the whole time
dribble1614
Pro Prospect

Post#119 » by dribble1614 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:37 am

LesGrossman wrote:
dribble1614 wrote:anthony davis is the best player in basketball. just look at the playoffs stats and impact.

I think thats a bit overboard; i'm not sure he's the best player in this series, but the competition is not on his team. He's clearly the best player on the Lakers...i wonder where he ended up in the MVP voting, and why.

media-driven narratives and the fact that the media has been pro-lebron for nearly the last decade could be why.

lebron without davis last year - missed the playoffs.

lebron with davis this year - going to the finals.

pretty clear to me.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,488

Post#120 » by Jazz9 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:40 am

Honest question
Would you have made this thread had he missed that three?
If not, then you never thought he was

Return to The General Board