ImageImageImageImageImage

its time to talk Chris Paul

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,946

Re: its time to talk Chris Paul 

Post#401 » by TheGreenArrow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:22 pm

BowlRips wrote:From Supes

4. LAC is in talks with OKC/PHX/SAS for a PG. I was told, they are the leading team in a Chris Paul trade. There is some major hangups for CP3 from all teams due to his contract. Which has limited the teams to Philly who is lukewarm in trading assets for him. NY is only willing to trade a expiring like Randle and a trash young player like Knox. I was told NYK wants to keep Frank N and he's NOT available anymore for any type of deal. Thibs wants him. His contract makes trades really really hard still. His media market is MUCH better than his real market.

Westbrook's market has been understated. His market is bigger than it is and I was told HOU isn't moving him and done want to move him unless they get value in return. He stated CP3 will likely go to New York or Los Angeles and most likely New York. There is some doubt about the fit for CP3 with Kawhi and PG13 around the league and the Knicks really want a vet to make it easier to develop Robinson and Barrett but they are NOT trading real assets to land CP3 either. What shocked me was I was told Al Horford has HIGHER trade value right now than CP3 just because of his contract makes it so hard to do a trade. LAC is targeting Collison, Rondo, and Dragic in FA as well. CP3 still wants to go to Milwaukee but Milwaukee will NOT trade any assets in a CP3 trade other than Bledsoe and money wise, they are limited and do NOT want to trade George Hill as well.

There has been talks about Rubio for LA but I was told it's unlikely. There has been talks about a Murray or White trade but nothing concrete. LAC is clearly targeting a PG and that either Pat Bev or Lou Williams is players they are dangling to land that said PG.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/168/#comments

:lol: :lol: Dude chill there going to see this and lock the thread again
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,031

Post#402 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:31 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote::lol:

We're really going to trade players and picks for CP3? I better not see any of you who want CP3 talking bad about using caproom on FVV.

If it’s just Randle and Knox or dsjr with a couple of future 2nds I’d do that and run.

I'm not willing to give up multiple young players or multiple 2nds for him, they have cheap owners and that contract is just toxic. We'd be doing them a favor taking him off their hands.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#403 » by TheGreenArrow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote::lol:

We're really going to trade players and picks for CP3? I better not see any of you who want CP3 talking bad about using caproom on FVV.

If it’s just Randle and Knox or dsjr with a couple of future 2nds I’d do that and run.

I'm not willing to give up multiple young players or multiple 2nds for him, they have cheap owners and that contract is just toxic. We'd be doing them a favor taking him off their hands.

I’m as big of a knox fan their is but I’d do that trade in a heartbeat. We’d be giving up to of our worst young guys players by a mile and we’d be keeping our 1st rd picks.

That trade would be a straight up robbery on our end.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#404 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

I’m as big of a knox fan their is but I’d do that trade in a heartbeat. We’d be giving up to of our worst young guys players by a mile and we’d be keeping our 1st rd picks.

I'm not a huge fan of Knox, but it's still just too early to give up on him, we took him knowing he'd be a project so I don't see why we should throw him in a deal for an aging player with a massive contract.

Look around the league and ask yourself, would a good team make this move? Look at how many picks the Rockets had to give up to trade CP3, now we're supposed to give up anything to get him?
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#405 » by TheGreenArrow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:06 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of Knox, but it's still just too early to give up on him, we took him knowing he'd be a project so I don't see why we should throw him in a deal for an aging player with a massive contract.

Look around the league and ask yourself, would a good team make this move? Look at how many picks the Rockets had to give up to trade CP3, now we're supposed to give up anything to get him?

He was just named 2nd team all nba even at age 35 he’s still a top 10-12 player in the league. He helped okc’s young guys grow immensely.

He would help rj and Mitch grow into the players we hope they can be, and he will be an instant culture changer not only internally but league wide perception wise.

If he could do for us what he did for okc this year his contract would be viewed as just a blip on the radar.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,097

Post#406 » by Juco24 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:07 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
BowlRips wrote:From Supes

4. LAC is in talks with OKC/PHX/SAS for a PG. I was told, they are the leading team in a Chris Paul trade. There is some major hangups for CP3 from all teams due to his contract. Which has limited the teams to Philly who is lukewarm in trading assets for him. NY is only willing to trade a expiring like Randle and a trash young player like Knox. I was told NYK wants to keep Frank N and he's NOT available anymore for any type of deal. Thibs wants him. His contract makes trades really really hard still. His media market is MUCH better than his real market.

Westbrook's market has been understated. His market is bigger than it is and I was told HOU isn't moving him and done want to move him unless they get value in return. He stated CP3 will likely go to New York or Los Angeles and most likely New York. There is some doubt about the fit for CP3 with Kawhi and PG13 around the league and the Knicks really want a vet to make it easier to develop Robinson and Barrett but they are NOT trading real assets to land CP3 either. What shocked me was I was told Al Horford has HIGHER trade value right now than CP3 just because of his contract makes it so hard to do a trade. LAC is targeting Collison, Rondo, and Dragic in FA as well. CP3 still wants to go to Milwaukee but Milwaukee will NOT trade any assets in a CP3 trade other than Bledsoe and money wise, they are limited and do NOT want to trade George Hill as well.

There has been talks about Rubio for LA but I was told it's unlikely. There has been talks about a Murray or White trade but nothing concrete. LAC is clearly targeting a PG and that either Pat Bev or Lou Williams is players they are dangling to land that said PG.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/168/#comments

:lol: :lol: Dude chill there going to see this and lock the thread again

Biggest takeaway for me from this is that Thibs and the Knicks want to keep Frank. Smart move imo
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#407 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:21 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

He was just named 2nd team all nba even at age 35 he’s still a top 10-12 player in the league. He helped okc’s young guys grow immensely.

He would help rj and Mitch grow into the players we hope they can be, and he will be an instant culture changer not only internally but league wide perception wise.

If he could do for us what he did for okc this year his contract would be viewed as just a blip on the radar.

If this were stocks they're selling high, we should not be young players and picks for him when he's at the peak right before the drop. I don't care about what accolades he got this year, I care about the fact his contract goes till 2022 and once you take it on it's going to be immovable as he declines.

Everything you're saying about him just makes me ask 1 question, why would the Thunder want to trade him if he's all the things you're saying?
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#408 » by TheGreenArrow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

If this were stocks they're selling high, we should not be young players and picks for him when he's at the peak right before the drop. I don't care about what accolades he got this year, I care about the fact his contract goes till 2022 and once you take it on it's going to be immovable as he declines.

Everything you're saying about him just makes me ask 1 question, why would the Thunder want to trade him if he's all the things you're saying?

The thunder want to rebuild and cp3 doesn’t want to be a part of that.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#409 » by cgmw » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 pm

snadler wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

It would be very unlike Dolan to peremptorily give up on Giannis and AD like this. If they go this route, Knicks should just trade the 8 pick on draft day for a veteran PF spacer to split minutes with Bobby. Thibs not taking the time to develop another Knox-Frank level project, especially with CP3 and FVV contracts eating up the books. But generally this would be a prototypical Knick move that would get the fanbase hype enough to justify ticket sales if they ever open arenas again.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#410 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:46 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

The thunder want to rebuild and cp3 doesn’t want to be a part of that.

Why would he want to be here then? We're rebuilding too.

If you have to give up any picks for him it's too much, I wouldn't want to throw in young players either, no matter how much people dislike Knox it's just too early to pull the plug.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#411 » by NYKnickerbocker » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Id only do it if it’s randle and DSJ lol.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#412 » by cgmw » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 am

I love the Chris Paul “culture changer” argument when he’s scheduled to make $42,000,000 in 2021. The only thing “changed” about that would be if Dolan didn’t buy him out first. I swear Larry Brown, PJax, Joakim, and company get together once a month with Bobby Bonilla to smoke stogies. CP3 would fit right in.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
TheGreenArrow
RealGM

Post#413 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is why you get cp3. He would do wonders for rj and co.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,739

Post#414 » by omerome » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:13 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is why you get cp3. He would do wonders for rj and co.

Can we just ask CP3 to come over the summer and do the same for RJ and co? That way we won't have to take on a massive cap hit.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#415 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:18 pm

cgmw wrote:I love the Chris Paul “culture changer” argument when he’s scheduled to make $42,000,000 in 2021. The only thing “changed” about that would be if Dolan didn’t buy him out first. I swear Larry Brown, PJax, Joakim, and company get together once a month with Bobby Bonilla to smoke stogies. CP3 would fit right in.

Lol this is called having an agenda and just running with it.

CP3 was a 2nd team All-NBA guy this year. Do you watch hoops?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,196

Post#416 » by DOT » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:31 pm

This time when we trade for the aging, injury prone star player on a huge deal, it'll be different.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,224

Post#417 » by Knicks Byke » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:40 pm

K-DOT wrote:This time when we trade for the aging, injury prone star player on a huge deal, it'll be different.

:lol:
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#418 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:21 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

or he could miss 20+ games like he had for 3 straight seasons prior to this one, the knicks lose a bunch of games and he gets fed up.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#419 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:25 pm

i know a lot of this discussion has been under the lens of "well if we assume the knicks are trading for paul, how would this go?" that said, i get the sense that people are slowly convincing themselves that this is a good idea simply because it might happen.

chris paul is still good. his contract, age and injury history are not. if other teams can't afford to trade for him and OKC has to move him, that's where the knicks should come in. only as a salary dump with assets attached, otherwise hard pass.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#420 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:30 pm

You have to look at the worst case scenarios in these kinds of deals. Worst case CP3 falls off or gets hurt and we are left with horrible deal that will handcuff us the next 2 years. It is just not worth it unless we get a ton of compensation back (which would probably make it not worth it for OKC).
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks