ImageImage

2nd Bubble for the Uninviteds! Hawks Mini-Camp!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,908

Re: 2nd Bubble for the Uninviteds! 

Post#21 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Am I crazy to hope Collins (and to a lesser extent, Trae) skip playing in the bubble to avoid injury of any type?
yes, you are crazy :D
It's technically a team training camp. They need time to incorporate Capela especially with both of these players. They would actually be preparing for typical training camp (if it was a normal year) right around this time anyway.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:15 am

I'm all about that Bubble Wrap for Collins and Huerter. Those two have missed too much time due to injury the first couple years of their respective careers.

They wouldn't play in Summer League, so I wouldn't have them playing in these scrimmages either.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#23 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:56 am

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm all about that Bubble Wrap for Collins and Huerter. Those two have missed too much time due to injury the first couple years of their respective careers.

They wouldn't play in Summer League, so I wouldn't have them playing in these scrimmages either.

Again, not Summer League, but rather....Training Camp. They aren't playing any other teams. They're just staying together on campus for 2 weeks practicing and scrimaging to bond as a team as all they have been doing is individual work.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:40 pm

jayu70 wrote:Again, not Summer League, but rather....Training Camp. They aren't playing any other teams. They're just staying together on campus for 2 weeks practicing and scrimaging to bond as a team as all they have been doing is individual work.

Understood. But again, I wouldn't have those two in particular (and likely Trae also) participating in these organized team activities.

I'd save them for actual Training Camp in a couple of months.

NOTE: I'm actually REALLY surprised Collin's agent is allowing him to participate considering he's trying to negotiate an extension this offseason.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#25 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Again, not Summer League, but rather....Training Camp. They aren't playing any other teams. They're just staying together on campus for 2 weeks practicing and scrimaging to bond as a team as all they have been doing is individual work.

Understood. But again, I wouldn't have those two in particular (and likely Trae also) participating in these organized team activities.

I'd save them for actual Training Camp in a couple of months.

NOTE: I'm actually REALLY surprised Collin's agent is allowing him to participate considering he's trying to negotiate an extension this offseason.

You understand they have to see how the Collins/Trae/Capela pairing will work right, and it's time for some team bonding. If the season starts December 25th, it'll be 9 1/2 months since they have played a meaningful game.
I'm sure they will have Insurance policy discussions for this.
These guys are already playing pickup games on there own, so I don't see the difference.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#26 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Atlanta hasn’t had the opportunity to play together as a team since March 11. Even the teams that didn’t end up making the playoffs were allowed three scrimmages and eight “regular-season” games before starting their offseason.

That changes in two weeks. Starting Sept. 21 through Oct. 6, those eight teams are allowed one hour of five-on-five scrimmage time per day as negotiated by the NBA and NBA Players Association. The one hour of five-on-five is the only constraint teams have, so they will still be able to get four-on-four, three-on-three and two-on-two work as they see fit.

When workouts expand, the eight teams will have to enter their own mini-bubble. The Hawks will have 15 players — a collection of Hawks and College Park Skyhawks — and 25 team personnel members living in a hotel in Atlanta. While this added practice time is practically leftover crumbs for these eight teams, it’s at least something.

“I think that because we were one of the eight teams that didn’t get to go to Orlando and didn’t get those eight games and three scrimmages — there’s no way to replicate that in what we’re getting,” general manager Travis Schlenk said. “At the same time, that decision was made to take 22 teams. This is what we’re getting in return, so we’re going to take it and get the most out of it in return. There’s no way to replicate what those 22 teams got, though. I wish we would have had the opportunity because it would have been great for our young guys to go down there and get more playing time.”

This practice time is potentially the only work Atlanta is going to get as a team until training camp begins for next season. After Oct. 6, teams will go back to individual workouts for the foreseeable future. The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported on Thursday that next season won’t start until Christmas Day at the earliest. It’s likely going to be delayed even further to allow the teams participating in the NBA Finals, which is scheduled through mid-October, to have some downtime.
The mini-bubble will be the first time this offseason that Schlenk and coach Lloyd Pierce will get to be around the team in a practice setting. The feedback Schlenk has received from those who have been in the facility has included a lot of frustration with the limited work they’re able to do and the unknowns of what’s next.

“I just think it’s a monotonous routine,” Schlenk said. “We’ve been doing these one-on-zero (workouts) since May. We’ve given the players and staff a few weeks off here and there just so they can do something else. I think the hardest part for everyone involved is just not knowing.

Spoiler:
Trae Young is also expected to participate in the Hawks’ mini-bubble experience. Young has not been in Atlanta as much as other Hawks players have, as he has worked out in his hometown of Norman, Okla., Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Young did play in a semi-professional basketball game in Norman a few months ago, which is against NBA rules and is subject to a fine. Young was instead given a warning by the league, according to sources, but that hasn’t stopped others with the Hawks and players around the league from trying to get some non-individual basketball workouts in during this prolonged offseason. De’Andre Hunter and Brandon Goodwin have been spotted working out at a facility together in Atlanta the past few weeks.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:You understand they have to see how the Collins/Trae/Capela pairing will work right, and it's time for some team bonding. If the season starts December 25th, it'll be 9 1/2 months since they have played a meaningful game.
These guys are already playing pickup games on there own, so I don't see the difference.

I don't buy 1 hour a day of 5-on-5 play providing much much clarity on the personnel fit. I don't even see the 5 hours of full basketball providing much overall benefit TBH.

There's just so little to gain with such limited time.

I'd prefer they work on personal training, individual skills, implementing new schemes and video review.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Read on Twitter

“This is what we’re getting in return, so we’re going to take it and get the most out of it,” general manager Travis Schlenk said last week. “There’s no way to replicate what those 22 teams got, though. I wish we would have had the opportunity because it would have been great for our young guys to go down there and get more playing time.”

Schlenk said he expects Trae Young, John Collins, Kevin Huerter, De’Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish and Clint Capela to participate in this camp. It’s unclear if any of the pending free agents will participate, but Schlenk said the 15-man roster will be filled with players from the College Park Skyhawks.

Reporters will not be allowed inside the camp, but we will have media availabilities throughout the two weeks, so that means we’ll have fresh content.

Trae Young

Will he be given more opportunities to play off the ball?

Young was one of the best catch-and-shoot shooters this season, shooting nearly 47 percent on his 3-point attempts......Young’s off-ball movement ranks him in the sixth percentile, meaning he’s barely getting any opportunities to work without the ball. The Hawks need to take advantage of Young’s lethal efficiency in catching and firing. That’s why it’s also important to either grow Huerter or Reddish into that secondary playmaking role, draft one in a few months, trade for one or sign one in free agency.

John Collins

Has he added a playmaking dimension to his game?

Collins was seen as an uber-athletic prospect who had the potential to grow into something, but what that something was going to be was hard to figure out. He wasn’t a shooter in college and he wasn’t the best defender. In three seasons, he has developed into a better than 40 percent 3-point shooter and also is a growing defender...... one area where he’s lacking is playmaking for others and taking defenders off the dribble. I

Kevin Huerter

Has he gotten more assertive?

Huerter played 1,760 minutes this season yet he only attempted 87 shots at the rim in the half court. He only made 40 of those attempts, which ranked him in the 17th percentile, according to Cleaning The Glass. He also only attempted 1.3 free throws per game.

De’Andre Hunter

How much is he playing at the four in scrimmages?

While Hunter played the majority of his minutes at the three this season, his best position long term might be at the four. One of the reasons why Reddish was a better defender is because he can guard those quicker guards and wings whereas Hunter struggled in his rookie season. It’s not a coincidence the Hawks’ best lineups featured Hunter at the four.

Cam Reddish

Has his playmaking improved?

Before the draft, I spoke with a few of Reddish’s former coaches, who all raved about his ability to have the ball in his hands and make plays. Reddish showed flashes of being a capable secondary creator one day, but he has a long way to go before he should be trusted in that role.....The encouraging metric in Reddish’s playmaking ability is him ranking in the 96th percentile in potential assists per 100 passes. He has the ability; he just has to make smarter decisions, which will come with time.

Clint Capela

How well is he moving after such a long layoff?

The biggest question should be how healthy he looks and what his conditioning level is after not playing for nearly nine months. Foot problems for big men always are highly concerning, so it would be encouraging if he could get through the two weeks with no setbacks and limitations.

The bigger questions such as the fit with Collins.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:You understand they have to see how the Collins/Trae/Capela pairing will work right, and it's time for some team bonding. If the season starts December 25th, it'll be 9 1/2 months since they have played a meaningful game.

I don't buy 1 hour a day of 5-on-5 play providing much much clarity on the personnel fit. I don't even see the 5 hours of full basketball providing much overall benefit TBH.

There's just so little to gain with such limited time.

I'd prefer they work on personal training, individual skills, implementing new schemes and video review.

They can also play 4on4, 3on3 for longer stretches as well. It's still valuable on court work.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#30 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:46 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#31 » by jayu70 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:35 pm

At least we're going into this with realistic expectations.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

2020 ATLANTA HAWKS MINI-CAMP ROSTER

Armoni Brooks - Guard - #2
Charlie Brown Jr. - Forward - #4