Image ImageImage Image

Billy Donovan hired as next Bulls coach - Full coaching staff p43

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Re: BREAKING NEWS : Billy Donovan hired as next Bulls coach 

Post#721 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:07 pm

Surprised doc got fired. But I don't feel any regret with Donovan. Still a home-run today.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#722 » by HomoSapien » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:10 pm

I love Doc and probably would have slightly preferred him, but what can you do. Still happy with Donovan, and who knows if Doc would prefer us over teams like Houston or Philly.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#723 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Did Doc just resign?
The Cult of Personality
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#724 » by Axl Rose » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:22 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I love Doc and probably would have slightly preferred him, but what can you do. Still happy with Donovan, and who knows if Doc would prefer us over teams like Houston or Philly.

Idk he is from Chicago so he may have a home in the area #callback :lol:
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Post#725 » by Darius Miles Davis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:36 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Darius Miles Davis wrote:
He also has won an NBA championship as a head coach.

Yes he does.

Doc Rivers is so overrated.

Head coaches in general are overrated. People have significantly inflated expectations as to the impact of the head coach on the game and thus people whom are thought of highly often have negative backlash later for underperformance when it becomes clear their positive impact didn't carry over, but the big secret is that is true of pretty much everyone.

So in a nutshell, every coach people think is incredible is probably overrated IMO, but many of them never have it proven, and by overrated, I don't mean they're bad. Tehy're great. Still probably the best in the world at what they do. However the impact of the best coach in the world and the 30th best coach isn't so different. The best coach just typically has a better situation.

Part of what the Bulls are accomplishing with the hire of Karnishovas, Eversley, and co. is the improvement of their reputation around the league. Donovan seems to be well liked, but Rivers seems really beloved among the league's players. His hire might have helped even more with regards to free agency.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#726 » by ChettheJet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:43 pm

Rivers would have been my choice but you had no way of knowing he was going to resign. You had a great candidate appear, you can't wait two weeks and pretend you think somebody else will pop up. Asking for permission would have tipped the Bulls hand, asking through some back door would have been tampering. If information would have just floated into the Berto Center that would have been eerie.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,626

Post#727 » by Dez » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:46 pm

Thank f*** we signed a coach before Rivers got fired, would've been fuming if we ended up with him.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#728 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:12 am

dougthonus wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Darius Miles Davis wrote:
He also has won an NBA championship as a head coach.

Yes he does.

Doc Rivers is so overrated.

Head coaches in general are overrated. People have significantly inflated expectations as to the impact of the head coach on the game and thus people whom are thought of highly often have negative backlash later for underperformance when it becomes clear their positive impact didn't carry over, but the big secret is that is true of pretty much everyone.

So in a nutshell, every coach people think is incredible is probably overrated IMO, but many of them never have it proven, and by overrated, I don't mean they're bad. Tehy're great. Still probably the best in the world at what they do. However the impact of the best coach in the world and the 30th best coach isn't so different. The best coach just typically has a better situation.

Don't agree. It's like a house, if you lay the foundation wrong you will always have issues.
No doubt there are plenty of coaches who can win with a loaded roster but as we have seen in the past, others can changes things up and win.
Talent is king but coaching is vastly important to the overall end result. Otherwise, Blatt would have won a ring with the Cavs instead of Lue replacing him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#729 » by dougthonus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:19 am

MrFortune3 wrote:Don't agree. It's like a house, if you lay the foundation wrong you will always have issues.
No doubt there are plenty of coaches who can win with a loaded roster but as we have seen in the past, others can changes things up and win.
Talent is king but coaching is vastly important to the overall end result. Otherwise, Blatt would have won a ring with the Cavs instead of Lue replacing him.

Maybe I'd put it this way: Bad coaching can screw up good talent, and bad coaching can just be relationships that don't work out and have little to do with the coaches knowledge of the game or skill at what he does from a basketball sense. Good coaching allows you to live up to your potential. At any point in time, I think there are plenty of "good" coaches, but that doesn't mean they are good in every situation. Ie, Phil Jackson may have gotten the best out of the Jordan Bulls, I'm not sure he'd kick ass with a rebuilding team though. Donovan is hailed as a great coach, but his team hasn't really done well in the playoffs.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#730 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 am

dougthonus wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:Don't agree. It's like a house, if you lay the foundation wrong you will always have issues.

Maybe I'd put it this way: Bad coaching can screw up good talent, and bad coaching can just be relationships that don't work out and have little to do with the coaches knowledge of the game or skill at what he does from a basketball sense. Good coaching allows you to live up to your potential. At any point in time, I think there are plenty of "good" coaches, but that doesn't mean they are good in every situation. Ie, Phil Jackson may have gotten the best out of the Jordan Bulls, I'm not sure he'd kick ass with a rebuilding team though. Donovan is hailed as a great coach, but his team hasn't really done well in the playoffs.

See, I'm all ready for an argument and then you post this and capture my feelings on the situation of coaching that I've mentioned before. :lol:

It's one of the reasons why I talk about culture being important, every coach in the NBA can teach X's and O's. It's when they get the CEO HC role where they struggle. It separates the good from the bad. Management, communication, delegation.
That's what makes someone like Spo so good with the Heat. He embodies their culture and communicates down to his players. No matter the talent level.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#731 » by jake_swivel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:44 am

HomoSapien wrote:I love Doc and probably would have slightly preferred him, but what can you do. Still happy with Donovan, and who knows if Doc would prefer us over teams like Houston or Philly.

Gosh, Houston is a nightmare of a job. Better get something done in the next year or two, and you better be able to do it without any means of improving the roster. Harden/Russ/Gordon take up basically the entire payroll, only one of them can shoot anymore, all are over 30, and Harden's the only tradeable contract of the bunch.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#732 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:18 am

jake_swivel wrote:

Gosh, Houston is a nightmare of a job. Better get something done in the next year or two, and you better be able to do it without any means of improving the roster. Harden/Russ/Gordon take up basically the entire payroll, only one of them can shoot anymore, all are over 30, and Harden's the only tradeable contract of the bunch.

Some coaches would rather gamble with the proven vets and a top 5(maybe) player in Harden. Just depends on if they want to win now or set themselves up to win in the long term.
What's amazing to me is that more people seem to be reportedly interested in Philly than NO.
PhilLeotardo
Junior
And1: 220

Post#733 » by PhilLeotardo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:35 am

Doc rivers sucks. He’s old hat. Donovan is younger in NBA years & way hungrier. Rivers wouldn’t have made the playoffs with that OKC roster. Donovan is still a few years away from really coming into his own in the NBA & still has plenty of upside left to mine. Rivers’s best days are behind him & he’s always been overrated
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#734 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:41 am

PhilLeotardo wrote:Doc rivers sucks. He’s old hat. Donovan is younger in NBA years & way hungrier. Rivers wouldn’t have made the playoffs with that OKC roster. Donovan is still a few years away from really coming into his own in the NBA & still has plenty of upside left to mine. Rivers’s best days are behind him & he’s always been overrated

I prefer Donovan over Rivers at this point but Rivers made the playoffs but Rivers made the playoffs with a similar roster in 2018 despite the fact that the Clippers were trying to rebuild and traded away Tobias Harris who was at that point their best player.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#735 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:06 am

Would have been such a great full circle story for Doc to come home and finish his career in Chicago and win a title or two with the Bulls.

Started out at Proviso East with State Championships and finish up with the Bulls with an NBA Championship.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#736 » by drosereturn » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:27 am

Doc is getting overrated with his Boston win and probably the fantasy that he gets along with stars is probably broken with the Clippers honeymoon period. I am not saying Donovan is way better but he knows how to manage the stars as well as Doc and has more potential because he is still very young which was unexpected.

Even if Donovan turned out pedestrian, the Bulls are bottom tier organization that can use him to make them average for 4 yrs and move on to a Nick nurse type after they are ready to leap to the next level like the Heat.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,154

Post#737 » by SHO'NUFF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:40 am

Dez wrote:Thank f*** we signed a coach before Rivers got fired, would've been fuming if we ended up with him.

:nod: :beer:
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,866

Post#738 » by bledredwine » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm in the anti-Rivers crowd as well :D

I'm thrilled with Billy. I can't think of the last time we made a hire this good.
Did Gar/Pax ever hire a reputable NBA coach?

Now we just need New York to start taking basketball seriously.
I have a feeling that in the next 5 years or so, we're going to see some really great Bulls/New York/Miami/Boston rivalries again.
It'll still be a little bit, but it'll happen.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#739 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Rivers would be wrong coach for Bulls. We are also lucky that Billy signed deal before Clippers job was available because otherwise we would never stood a chance getting calibre of coach like him.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#740 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:54 pm

yep hard pass on a coach who has blown THREE 3-1 playoff series leads now

He looked like a guy who was ready for vacation after game 5 in that series. I watched his body language closely those last 2 games wondering if they might replace him, so I'm not shocked.

I'm a big believer in team chemistry and I really think there is more to the "Paul George used to date Doc Rivers daughter and then got a stripper pregnant and had to break off the engagement" story than we heard. We won't but I just cant see this guy and Doc getting along with this hanging out there.

Winning an NBA championship is an ALL IN journey. You have to be a cohesive unit and sacrifice for each other and the good of the team. The coach has to inspire and lead and players have to follow and trust him.

Once I heard that story (and I had not prior to this playoffs starting) I watched the PG and Doc 'interactions' like a hawk when I could see them and I never saw them talk. I saw Doc try and talk to him, dap him up by the bench - but PG always walked by Doc like Doc had a raging case of COVID.

So I'm not shocked this happened, I kinda expected it.

Ballmer traded his future for PG and one had to go.

Return to Chicago Bulls