ImageImageImage

Random Thoughts XIX

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Re: Random Thoughts XIX 

Post#1501 » by Heat3 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:43 pm

Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1502 » by IggieCC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:43 am

Read on Twitter
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
Heat3
RealGM

Post#1503 » by Heat3 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 pm

Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

BaffLer
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,351

Post#1504 » by BaffLer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:33 am

Did anyone here ever learn a new language and can now speak it fluently? If so, how did you go about it and how long did it take?
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,451

Post#1505 » by Bishop45 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:19 pm

BaffLer wrote:Did anyone here ever learn a new language and can now speak it fluently? If so, how did you go about it and how long did it take?

I've learned the elementary basics of Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic and sign language, but fluidity seems like this spiritual realm that only a few ppl can obtain. I just don't get it yet, I'm planning to watch a lot more movies in different languages and try to teach my ears to keep up with the captions so I can get better at processing different languages in real-time. After my experiences of just trying to jump into conversations in other languages as a learning mechanism, I can say that I will never ever make fun of someone who speaks in an acute or even a deep accent-- it's an act of courage

It phucks me up, because I can speak English and Creole fluently, because that is what was taught in my home, but stringing together a sentence in another language is like learning how to walk again. I'd probably get it if I practiced more frequently and understood all the nuances, instead of using it to let ppl know that I'd understand if they were talking chit lol
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1506 » by Bishop45 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:28 pm

I hate the timeline when Bill Maher is the vector of truth, but here again

Rest in Power Chadwick

IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1507 » by IggieCC » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:21 pm

BaffLer wrote:Did anyone here ever learn a new language and can now speak it fluently? If so, how did you go about it and how long did it take?

I'm a foreign disposable worker so English is my second language.

By the time I graduated from college I could read and write pretty well thanks to English classes that are incorporated in our education system. But I could not speak it, at all.

The fastest way for me, is to make friends, preferably a girlfriend/boyfriend, who speak the language you want to be fluent in. If you cannot move to the country of the target language, then I would try to find and make friends locally. The more the better BaffLer
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
JWiL
Freshman
And1: 91

Post#1508 » by JWiL » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:09 am

I learnt Spanish and I was fluent enough to work in Spain for a year. It was quite difficult but I committed a lot of time to learning it, took around a year and a half before I felt truly confident to speak to random people in Spanish. Working in Spain was when I finally felt like I could call myself fluent. It was a little rough at times but after speaking it/texting it every day for 3 months I was able to engage in lengthy dialogue with native Spanish speakers.

How I learned:
Mostly learnt by reading a lot of text books at first, I also created flash cards and I'd randomly just practice words whenever I had time (commercial on TV, waiting in line, etc.).

Eventually I started attempting to read written material like blog posts or newspaper articles. If there were words I couldn't understand I'd write them down and make a flash card to practice them casually.

Learning to speak the language probably would've been quite tricky if I didn't have friends that spoke fluent Spanish. I'd say watching TV shows or listening to music helped a little bit but not sure if it would be possible to become fluent without actively using it with native speakers.

Commitment is probably the biggest issue most people would face when trying to learn a new language, if you don't have a use for it in mind (such as wanting to work overseas for me) I don't see how you would succeed.
Heat3
RealGM

Post#1509 » by Heat3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Will the winner of this year’s NBA Finals proclaim...”I’m going to Disney World!” when they win?

Dr_Heat
RealGM
And1: 96,866

Post#1510 » by Dr_Heat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Pre-ordered the new Halo game
Dr_Heat wrote: Oof
unowen85
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,858

Post#1511 » by unowen85 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Heat3 wrote:Will the winner of this year’s NBA Finals proclaim...”I’m going to Disney World!” when they win?

The winner of the Finals will say “see y’all in Miami for the parade!”
For a long time it gave me nightmares,witnessing an injustice like that.It’s a constant reminder of just how unfair this world can be.I can still hear them taunting him, Silly Rabbit tricks are for kids.I mean why couldn’t they just give him some cereal?
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#1512 » by goodboy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:23 am

Dr_Heat wrote:Pre-ordered the new Halo game

- lives in 2008
Bright
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#1513 » by goodboy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:24 am

Bish has his own language,

think we all learned that.
Bright
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#1514 » by Bishop45 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Myself included. Harris/Pence and highlights of the town hall are all I'm opting to watch

Rest in Power Chadwick

oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,176

Post#1515 » by oreon » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:31 am

Read on Twitter

2020 is different. Shams had it first. No question he's the goat right now. I don't know how Woj takes it back.
And masks plz !!!
JWiL
Freshman
And1: 91

Post#1516 » by JWiL » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:37 am

oreon wrote:
Read on Twitter

2020 is different. Shams had it first. No question he's the goat right now. I don't know how Woj takes it back.
And masks plz !!!

Wow thats a big get for Shams.
Would like to know if Biden got tested.
oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,176

Post#1517 » by oreon » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:53 am

JWiL wrote:
oreon wrote:
Read on Twitter

And masks plz !!!

He has to for sure. He was a couple feet away. And Pence too, he has met Trump in the last couple days.
This year is something else. I hope Nasa is keeping track of them astreroid
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#1518 » by HeatFanLifer » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:29 am

oreon wrote:
JWiL wrote:
oreon wrote:
Read on Twitter

And masks plz !!!

He has to for sure. He was a couple feet away. And Pence too, he has met Trump in the last couple days.
This year is something else. I hope Nasa is keeping track of them astreroid

I mean this year has so been so effed that we could get confirmed reports of aliens visiting this planet and it won’t even phase anyone.
OP for NBA FT record
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,742

Post#1519 » by Chalm Down » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:42 am

JWiL wrote:
oreon wrote:
Read on Twitter

And masks plz !!!

I hope they are testing almost everyday regardless, at least after they are out in public

Hope this doesn't spread through more govt officials
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,742

Post#1520 » by Chalm Down » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:44 am

IggieCC wrote:

I'm a foreign disposable worker so English is my second language.

By the time I graduated from college I could read and write pretty well thanks to English classes that are incorporated in our education system. But I could not speak it, at all.

The fastest way for me, is to make friends, preferably a girlfriend/boyfriend, who speak the language you want to be fluent in. If you cannot move to the country of the target language, then I would try to find and make friends locally. The more the better BaffLer

Your english is very impressive Iggs, would have never guessed it's your second language. Don't forget to add bishglish to your resume as well

Do you get to travel much as a foreign disposable worker (in non covid times), or is it just okc/japan
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"

Return to Miami Heat