ImageImageImage

Let's start the rebuild!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: Let's start the rebuild! 

Post#441 » by Manocad » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Watching Thon Maker play makes me want to kick a puppy. The day that guy is gone I will buy a puppy again, and I want a puppy.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#442 » by bstein14 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Detroit trades: Rose, Kennard, Blake
Boston trades: Smart, Hayward, #14 pick
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#443 » by ByeByeDre » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:45 pm

bstein14 wrote:Detroit trades: Rose, Kennard, Blake

Pistons: do that in three seconds

Boston: make Ainge take drug test
tradez401
Starter
And1: 615

Post#444 » by tradez401 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:43 pm

whitehops wrote:
chrbal wrote:No god yes I want Maker to sign elsewhere. I wouldn’t be shocked/bothered if they resigned him cheap, but both sides are better off separating

i feel that way about guys like maker and khyri thomas. i think they've shown enough (by not showing enough) to pass on their roster spots for other players to take chances on. like, if we re-sign them for like a mil or two per year to fill out roster spots i wouldn't be upset but i definitely don't want them having a spot in the rotation.

makers probably is who he is at this point maybe he'll gain some weight over the years but i wouldnt give up on khryi thomas just yet we still have no idea what we have in him due to little playing time/injuries.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#445 » by vic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 pm

You're right. Giving up on Khyri reminds me of giving up on Middleton and Dinwiddie.

It's never smart to give up on a plus defender who could shoot in college but has had limited rhythm due to injury. At least give him the 15th spot and wait to see what you really have.

Middleton and Dinwiddie were huge losses for our horrible front offices
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#446 » by rmfc » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:18 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Detroit trades: Rose, Kennard, Blake

Pistons: do that in three seconds

Boston: make Ainge take drug test

Yeah.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#447 » by The_Irony » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:19 pm

We cant think every second rounder that Detroit doesnt give a shot to is going to be a middleton or dinwiddie. Thats ridiculous.

Svi and bruce found their lane and are way ahead of khyri. What sense does it make to extend a player who is often injured and cant crack this horrible rotation when hes healthy? A couple summer league games will not keep this guy on the team for me.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#448 » by Crymson » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 pm

The_Irony wrote:We cant think every second rounder that Detroit doesnt give a shot to is going to be a middleton or dinwiddie. Thats ridiculous.

Svi and bruce found their lane and are way ahead of khyri. What sense does it make to extend a player who is often injured and cant crack this horrible rotation when hes healthy? A couple summer league games will not keep this guy on the team for me.

He's yet to really get a chance, and he has a year left on his contract. The Pistons need not extend him, but rather only guarantee his final season.

I suspect they'll do so, as this team has no business giving up on any potential young talent.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#449 » by The_Irony » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:35 pm

Crymson wrote:
The_Irony wrote:We cant think every second rounder that Detroit doesnt give a shot to is going to be a middleton or dinwiddie. Thats ridiculous.

He's yet to really get a chance, and he has a year left on his contract. The Pistons need not extend him, but rather only guarantee his final season.

I suspect they'll do so, as this team has no business giving up on any potential young talent.

This team has no business passing up on better talent if they find it for a 24 yr old often injured player who hasnt found a lane to carve.

My bigger point is for people to not compare this man to middleton or dinwiddie. The sample sizes, measurables and talent between all 3 are not comparable in anyway. If they guarantee him its not a negative, but no one needs to feel married to the idea of keeping him.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#450 » by 440BB » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:41 pm

With Galloway gone Thomas could get some minutes to show whether he can contribute. He should be hungry. This is the year we can afford to find out. Better than an aging retread signed to sit on the bench.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#451 » by chrbal » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:24 pm

The Pistons have him on an unguaranteed deal for next season. Make sure the guarantee date is after final cuts and let him tryout. He makes it, great and if not no loss.

I kind of think he deserves at least a two way contract.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#452 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:26 am

The_Irony wrote:This team has no business passing up on better talent if they find it for a 24 yr old often injured player who hasnt found a lane to carve.

My bigger point is for people to not compare this man to middleton or dinwiddie. The sample sizes, measurables and talent between all 3 are not comparable in anyway. If they guarantee him its not a negative, but no one needs to feel married to the idea of keeping him.

Exactly what better talent do you expect they'll find? Assuming they guarantee the salaries of both Patton and Thomas, they'll head into the draft with only nine players under contract. And how could you or anyone else know what path his development might take?

The Pistons are in no rush.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#453 » by The_Irony » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:47 am

Crymson wrote:
The_Irony wrote:This team has no business passing up on better talent if they find it for a 24 yr old often injured player who hasnt found a lane to carve.

Exactly what better talent do you expect they'll find? Assuming they guarantee the salaries of both Patton and Thomas, they'll head into the draft with only nine players under contract. And how could you or anyone else know what path his development might take?

The Pistons are in no rush.

A 15th man is a 15th man. The fact theres a back and forth about khyri thomas is depressing in itself. Are you saying there isnt a chance there wont be someone weaver cant identify better than him?

I dont think a new gm feels he has to keep anyone who hasnt produced or shown flashes if he doesnt see a lane for him with his team. If he does then we will know with the guarantee
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#454 » by Kilo » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:04 am

I'd bet Galloway is brought back as a FA as he's a team leader and good in the community. It's partly why he wasn't traded at the deadline or waived to sign with a contender. Detroit wants to bring him back.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#455 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:03 am

Kilo wrote:I'd bet Galloway is brought back as a FA as he's a team leader and good in the community. It's partly why he wasn't traded at the deadline or waived to sign with a contender. Detroit wants to bring him back.

For something close to vet min, yes. Anything more, let him go!
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#456 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:24 am

I think Galloway coming back is more likely than Thomas.

One is proven, the other isn't.

As much as we all would like to think Thomas has a legit shot at this - kid has done nothing in his time here.

Step up or step off

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Crymson
Rookie

Post#457 » by Crymson » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:19 pm

The_Irony wrote:A 15th man is a 15th man. The fact theres a back and forth about khyri thomas is depressing in itself. Are you saying there isnt a chance there wont be someone weaver cant identify better than him?

I dont think a new gm feels he has to keep anyone who hasnt produced or shown flashes if he doesnt see a lane for him with his team. If he does then we will know with the guarantee

There's a chance but not a big one. Unfortunately, injuries and questionable rotation management have kept Thomas from any real audition to date. Should he play through a segment of the season and fail to impress, the Pistons can simply waive him and open up the roster for somebody else.

Should Weaver find somebody better for that spot, then I suspect we'll see Thomas gone beforehand. That said, his guarantee date is a month before free agency begins.

As I said, however, the Pistons should be in no rush.

Kilo wrote:I'd bet Galloway is brought back as a FA as he's a team leader and good in the community. It's partly why he wasn't traded at the deadline or waived to sign with a contender. Detroit wants to bring him back.

I hope not. The Pistons have eight zillion guards and too few wings.

Pharaoh wrote:I think Galloway coming back is more likely than Thomas.

One is proven, the other isn't.

As much as we all would like to think Thomas has a legit shot at this - kid has done nothing in his time here.

Step up or step off

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

He's done nothing in large part thanks to repeated injuries, and in small share thanks to Casey's fixation upon rookie Bruce Brown. Thomas was healthy through most of 2018-2019 and realistically have gotten some of Brown's minutes, as Brown was certainly the worst starter on any playoff-aspiring team. Unfortunately, Casey was not a particularly good coach in that season. Quite poor, in fact.

Thomas was finally set to get his shot down the stretch earlier in the year, and the season was cut short.
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#458 » by ByeByeDre » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:44 am

Galloway had his best statistical year in a contract year. If another team wants to give him stupid money, so be it. If not, one year deal with team option will give him two more contract years to stay interested......
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#459 » by BJK1 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:30 pm

I’m curious if Weaver would take a flier on Josh Jackson? At only 23 yrs old, he still possesses the athleticism and length at the wing position that made him a lottery pick. He’s apparently grown up a bit since his time in PHX and made some real strides in his game playing for Memphis (both for their G-League team and on their regular roster). He had worked his way into their rotation during the spring and was starting to make some noise for them when the shutdown happened. For a rebuilding team, maybe he’s worth a look for the right price?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#460 » by MotownMadness » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:20 pm

BJK1 wrote:I’m curious if Weaver would take a flier on Josh Jackson? At only 23 yrs old, he still possesses the athleticism and length at the wing position that made him a lottery pick. He’s apparently grown up a bit since his time in PHX and made some real strides in his game playing for Memphis (both for their G-League team and on their regular roster). He had worked his way into their rotation during the spring and was starting to make some noise for them when the shutdown happened. For a rebuilding team, maybe he’s worth a look for the right price?

I would, just give him a 1 year deal and if he works out he would probably stay being back home and all.

Return to Detroit Pistons