ImageImageImage

Nuggets Free Agents

Moderator: THE J0KER

Which Free Agents do the Nuggets sign this off-season? (Choose up to ALL.)

Paul Millsap
13%
Mason Plumlee
11%
Jerami Grant
33%
Torrey Craig
15%
Noah Vonleh
5%
Troy Daniels
2%
PJ Dozier
22%

Total votes: 55

Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Re: Nuggets Free Agents 

Post#41 » by Maf » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Rebel: Not 6 a year, 6 per two years.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#42 » by The Rebel » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Maf wrote:Rebel: Not 6 a year, 6 per two years.

That makes a lot more sense, although I would still pass I can understand why people would think that is a solid deal.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#43 » by THE J0KER » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 am

Jerami Grant Expected To Opt Out Of Player Option
Jerami Grant is expected to opt out of his player option, league sources told Mike Singer of The Denver Post.

Grant would earn $9.3 million next season if he opted in, though sources say he could command up to $16 million this offseason.

“I’m definitely looking forward to it. We’ll see how it goes," said Grant, when asked about his offseason plans following the Nuggets' playoff exit.

The Nuggets will shed more than $44 million from their cap this offseason, with Paul Millsap and Mason Plumlee's contracts expiring.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#44 » by skywalker33 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Kinda old news, we knew this about 2mo ago. Better question is, what's his new asking price.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#45 » by DaFan334 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 pm

How would you guys feel about going after Serge Ibaka to replace Plumlee and Milsap? I'm not sure exactly how much he will command in free agency but the fit seems good next to and behind Jokic.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by The Rebel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 pm

DaFan334 wrote:How would you guys feel about going after Serge Ibaka to replace Plumlee and Milsap? I'm not sure exactly how much he will command in free agency but the fit seems good next to and behind Jokic.

I think he gets more than the MLE but if we could get him for the MLE than I think that would be a good deal.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#47 » by DaFan334 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:39 am

The Rebel wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:How would you guys feel about going after Serge Ibaka to replace Plumlee and Milsap? I'm not sure exactly how much he will command in free agency but the fit seems good next to and behind Jokic.

I think he gets more than the MLE but if we could get him for the MLE than I think that would be a good deal.

Looking at some of the contracts and what not, unless we get pretty creative or have turned ourselves into an attractive destination with this playoff run, I could see us somewhat stuck resigning the majority of the team, which would be the worst, but there are areas for improvement.

If things don't go as planned, one of the Morris Brother, as much as I hate them, would actually be a decent fit for this team. They can give floor spacing and toughness that this team could use. The more I type this, the more I actually like the idea of it.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by The Rebel » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:40 am

DaFan334 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Looking at some of the contracts and what not, unless we get pretty creative or have turned ourselves into an attractive destination with this playoff run, I could see us somewhat stuck resigning the majority of the team, which would be the worst, but there are areas for improvement.

If things don't go as planned, one of the Morris Brother, as much as I hate them, would actually be a decent fit for this team. They can give floor spacing and toughness that this team could use. The more I type this, the more I actually like the idea of it.

I actually don't want either of the Morris twins here, they are just too dirty in today's NBA and they seem to find ways to hurt their team, especially Marcus.

TJ McBride brought up an old name we haven't talked about in a while.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Personally I am not a fan of the Noel idea, but I have always liked Thompson as a good backup big we could use. He is a good defensive big that can cover the pick and roll and also deal with physical play while not really being a dirty player. I think he would be a solid signing and that due to the last couple of years in Cleveland you might be able to get him for less than the MLE.

If you sign him and play him 8 minutes with Jokic and 16 minutes at backup Center per game with resigning Grant and playing him 30 mpg during the regular season, that would give 10 mpg for Bol, Cancar, and KBD to compete for during the season and Bol could be the 3rd string C.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#49 » by THE J0KER » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:08 am

The Rebel wrote:Personally I am not a fan of the Noel idea, but I have always liked Thompson as a good backup big we could use.
Days we can choose players which we more like are over. We have 2 max-contract stars waiting for next summer to re-sign Porter. This season Thompson's salary was $18M, Noel's just $2M. I don't think the difference will stay that big, but the gap will be still very big, enough in clear Noel's favor to be chosen! Basically, we need a backup center for just 10 minutes once the playoff starts. That is the reason why over 80% of all my complains about Plumlee was not about Plumlee as a player but about his 40/3 salary. He is maybe worth it, but in some other team without an all-star center. For me, the best thing about the Lakers roster after two famous forwards are their center's duo Howard-McGee. Why? Because of their price! They have two superstars in LBJ-AD and they solved the center's position with just $4M+$2.5M dollars!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by The Rebel » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:09 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Personally I am not a fan of the Noel idea, but I have always liked Thompson as a good backup big we could use.
Days we can choose players which we more like are over. We have 2 max-contract stars waiting for next summer to re-sign Porter. This season Thompson's salary was $18M, Noel's just $2M. I don't think the difference will stay that big, but the gap will be still very big, enough in clear Noel's favor to be chosen! Basically, we need a backup center for just 10 minutes once the playoff starts. That is the reason why over 80% of all my complains about Plumlee was not about Plumlee as a player but about his 40/3 salary. He is maybe worth it, but in some other team without an all-star center. For me, the best thing about the Lakers roster after two famous forwards are their center's duo Howard-McGee. Why? Because of their price! They have two superstars in LBJ-AD and they solved the center's position with just $4M+$2.5M dollars!

So because Thompson made more on a contract signed in 2015 than he will automatically make more in 2020? You do realize that is not how it works in the NBA don't you? Thompson signed a contract that overpaid him due to pressure from Lebron after their finals run and that was before the dramatic drop that bigs have gotten over the last few years with the rise of the Warriors.

Last year 14 teams had more than $14 million in cap space, out of all that cap space 2 centers signed for more than $10 million per year, 1 was Valanciunas by the Grizzlies and the other was Dedmond, out of those 2 Dedmond has already been salary dumped. In 2015 9 Centers signed for more than $10 million a year or more, and that was with a $70 million salary cap compared to $109 for last year.

This year it is projected that 4-7 teams will have more than the MLE in cap space which is $9.5, of those teams the Hawks already have 3 centers. The Pistons are planning to resign Woods, the Heat obviously are happy with Bam. So who exactly is going to sign Thompson for more then the MLE which is what we can offer him?
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#51 » by Manolito » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:04 pm

I honestly would not spend the whole MLE in a backup C who will play 10minutes per game in play off.

I think SG position is the weakest at the moment (assuming we resign Grant) and where big decissions need to be taken (moving any/both/none GH & Barton)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using RealGM mobile app
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#52 » by THE J0KER » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:24 pm

The Rebel wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

So because Thompson made more on a contract signed in 2015 than he will automatically make more in 2020? You do realize that is not how it works in the NBA don't you? Thompson signed a contract that overpaid him due to pressure from Lebron after their finals run and that was before the dramatic drop that bigs have gotten over the last few years with the rise of the Warriors.

Last year 14 teams had more than $14 million in cap space, out of all that cap space 2 centers signed for more than $10 million per year, 1 was Valanciunas by the Grizzlies and the other was Dedmond, out of those 2 Dedmond has already been salary dumped. In 2015 9 Centers signed for more than $10 million a year or more, and that was with a $70 million salary cap compared to $109 for last year.

This year it is projected that 4-7 teams will have more than the MLE in cap space which is $9.5, of those teams the Hawks already have 3 centers. The Pistons are planning to resign Woods, the Heat obviously are happy with Bam. So who exactly is going to sign Thompson for more then the MLE which is what we can offer him?

If You think that price of established starter T.Thompson will be the same or similar to the price of N.Noel this offseason, then you are right that you are know something about NBA what I don't know.
skywalker33

Post#53 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:49 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Days we can choose players which we more like are over. We have 2 max-contract stars waiting for next summer to re-sign Porter. This season Thompson's salary was $18M, Noel's just $2M. I don't think the difference will stay that big, but the gap will be still very big, enough in clear Noel's favor to be chosen! Basically, we need a backup center for just 10 minutes once the playoff starts. That is the reason why over 80% of all my complains about Plumlee was not about Plumlee as a player but about his 40/3 salary. He is maybe worth it, but in some other team without an all-star center. For me, the best thing about the Lakers roster after two famous forwards are their center's duo Howard-McGee. Why? Because of their price! They have two superstars in LBJ-AD and they solved the center's position with just $4M+$2.5M dollars!

If You think that price of established starter T.Thompson will be the same or similar to the price of N.Noel this offseason, then you are right that you are know something about NBA what I don't know.

I don't believe he said we'd pay the same for Noel as for TT and the idea of a player leaving a sad-sack team like the Cav's on a cheaper contract to join a young up-n-coming true contender like the Nuggets is not unreasonable to buy into IMO.

Nuggninja
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#54 » by Nuggninja » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:20 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

I don't believe he said we'd pay the same for Noel as for TT and the idea of a player leaving a sad-sack team like the Cav's on a cheaper contract to join a young up-n-coming true contender like the Nuggets is not unreasonable to buy into IMO.

It’s a near foregone conclusion he’s going to the Lakers. Location matters a lot more to NBA players than in other sports and Denver isn’t going to be a destination city unless they somehow stumble into a dynasty.

With Jamal and Jokic’s contracts, needing to re-sign Grant, and then MPJ’s contract coming up in a couple of years the Nuggets have to be smart and strategic with their contracts. They’re going to have to rely on draft picks and people signed to deals that they outperform.

The only bargain deal Tristan Thompson is taking is with the Lakers, Noel probably won’t either I expect to chase the money and a starting job but if he can’t get that from a bad team the contract he’d command would be more team friendly and afford the Nuggets more flexibility.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:56 pm

Manolito wrote:I honestly would not spend the whole MLE in a backup C who will play 10minutes per game in play off.

I think SG position is the weakest at the moment (assuming we resign Grant) and where big decissions need to be taken (moving any/both/none GH & Barton)

I believe I said that I thought Thompson would go for less than the full MLE, which I still believe.

With the team as currently constructed I do not see how SG is a need. I would love to get an upgrade on Harris, but the only upgrade that I see that may be available and fits the role that we need from the SG is Jrue Holiday. On top of Harris we also have Barton who is a natural SG, Murray and/or Morris when they are on the court together, and Dozier who have all shown the ability to play very productive minutes at SG.

While people love to bitch about Harris's shooting, the fact is the most important thing we need from SG is defense, and Harris is 1 of the top in the league. If our starting lineup features Murray, Jokic, and MPJ than we really have to have 2 guys who can defend and do the dirty work at SG and PF, With Grant's shooting at PF that only leaves 1 guy who can sag off his cover, which is better than we have had most of this last season and still allows the offense to run.

To me the clearest need after re-signing Grant is at PF/C where we have nobody outside of unproven young guys. We have to get a proven big, there is no way around it. Especially if the Lakers are going to continue with 3 7 footers next year.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#56 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:17 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Spoiler:
Manolito wrote:I honestly would not spend the whole MLE in a backup C who will play 10minutes per game in play off.

I believe I said that I thought Thompson would go for less than the full MLE, which I still believe.

With the team as currently constructed I do not see how SG is a need. I would love to get an upgrade on Harris, but the only upgrade that I see that may be available and fits the role that we need from the SG is Jrue Holiday. On top of Harris we also have Barton who is a natural SG, Murray and/or Morris when they are on the court together, and Dozier who have all shown the ability to play very productive minutes at SG.

While people love to bitch about Harris's shooting, the fact is the most important thing we need from SG is defense, and Harris is 1 of the top in the league. If our starting lineup features Murray, Jokic, and MPJ than we really have to have 2 guys who can defend and do the dirty work at SG and PF, With Grant's shooting at PF that only leaves 1 guy who can sag off his cover, which is better than we have had most of this last season and still allows the offense to run.

To me the clearest need after re-signing Grant is at PF/C where we have nobody outside of unproven young guys. We have to get a proven big, there is no way around it. Especially if the Lakers are going to continue with 3 7 footers next year.

Yuppers, we need a proven backup center and/or power forward. I'd prefer two players, but one might do it - unless there's an injury.

Like Rebel, I'm not overly worried about SG. As he pointed out, we have Harris, Barton, Murray, Morris, Dozier, all of whom can play SG. I'd love to see Morris start with Murray and have Harris & Barton come off the bench. If either is hot, ride the hot streak. If an opponent's wing is hot, give Harris a shot at shutting them down. Plus we have Dozier for either guard slot and maybe some SF. I think we're covered at both guard slots.

As for Harris' shooting, this past year he shot 33% from three - and that's not terrible. We can still hope he hits a better percentage, but if he's coming off the bench, that's less important.

Our SF slot will have too little experience with Porter and Bates-Diop but they might bring back Craig and even better, Grant can slide from PF to SF and Barton can slide from SG to SF.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#57 » by TunaFish » Sun Oct 4, 2020 3:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#58 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:35 pm

TunaFish wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:confused: Really? :dontknow: It sure seems to me like the Nuggets have avoided over-spending. :meditate: But I will admit, it hasn't bothered me too much. But if they want a championship, they have an opportunity in the next few years and it's time to spend. :nod:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:46 am

TunaFish wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Well judging off of GM speak,we likely aren't going into the luxury tax this year, and some major changes are coming.
skywalker33

Post#60 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:19 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:confused: Really? :dontknow: It sure seems to me like the Nuggets have avoided over-spending. :meditate: But I will admit, it hasn't bothered me too much. But if they want a championship, they have an opportunity in the next few years and it's time to spend. :nod:

I will have to point out that not crossing the Luxury Tax threshold so far has worked pretty well considering we have increased our wins each year, advancing to the WCF this year (and perhaps to the Finals had it not been for Silver and his 3 refs).

That said, I do agree we should not be afraid to cross it to continue to build this team to a championship level.

Return to Denver Nuggets