Sixers new HC search thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#861 » by fl311 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:34 pm

agiaco wrote:
fl311 wrote:Some FO changes would be made if Rivers gets the job. I just dont know the extent and how high up those changes would be. Rivers would be ok working with Brand

If Doc gets hired, do you have any predictions on how the roster might shake up? Trade Horford? Try to bring Cp3 back to Doc? Acquire a couple more shooters?

Wasn't JJ on the lob city team for a couple years?

I think it helps in the pursuit of Chris Paul
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#862 » by Negrodamus » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:59 pm

The grayed out portion feels like the Brett Brown offense. I think it would imperative for us to get someone to play like, or actually get, CP3 and move Ben to a more Blake Griffin role.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#863 » by agiaco » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:21 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

The grayed out portion feels like the Brett Brown offense. I think it would imperative for us to get someone to play like, or actually get, CP3 and move Ben to a more Blake Griffin role.

I'm fine with that
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#864 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:45 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Well he spent the night and then they had breakfast. In my experience that is always a good sign. :lol:

:lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#865 » by bball4life » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:36 pm

So leading candidate as our new head coach is the only one whose team played even worse to expectations these playoffs than the Sixers. Awesome.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#866 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:41 pm

bball4life wrote:So leading candidate as our new head coach is the only one whose team played even worse to expectations these playoffs than the Sixers. Awesome.

Well a year ago Rivers’ team exceeded expectations maybe more than any team in the league and Brad Stevens’ team was probably the biggest disappointment. If the Clippers met expectations this year Doc wouldn’t be available. It’s buying low.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,812

Post#867 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:52 pm

Blake Griffin is so much better than Ben around the basket in the half court. I think that's a good blueprint for the kind of successful offensive player Ben could be, but it would require adding a lot to his game that he doesn't have at the moment. That said, offensive Blake Griffin x defensive Ben Simmons is a monster.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#868 » by bball4life » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:02 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
bball4life wrote:So leading candidate as our new head coach is the only one whose team played even worse to expectations these playoffs than the Sixers. Awesome.

Well a year ago Rivers’ team exceeded expectations maybe more than any team in the league and Brad Stevens’ team was probably the biggest disappointment. If the Clippers met expectations this year Doc wouldn’t be available. It’s buying low.

While it is definitely nice to see the Sixer's buying low for once, I just don't see where this is the coach that gets the team to a championship. All those good Clipper teams from half a decade ago never even made it to the conference championship round!

Yes, he won the chip with Boston eons ago, but that team was LOADED. Hope I'm wrong. At worst, should be better than Brett. But I could say the same thing about almost any coach in the league.
SwingOnThis
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#869 » by SwingOnThis » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:05 pm

bball4life wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

While it is definitely nice to see the Sixer's buying low for once, I just don't see where this is the coach that gets the team to a championship. All those good Clipper teams from half a decade ago never even made it to the conference championship round!

Yes, he won the chip with Boston eons ago, but that team was LOADED. Hope I'm wrong. At worst, should be better than Brett. But I could say the same thing about almost any coach in the league.

All teams that win titles are 'LOADED'. Whether the Sixers win a title will be dependent on how our two stars improve and take the next steps to be among the elite of the elite. If the Sixers become one of those 'LOADED' teams, Rivers will be able to coach them to a title. Players win in the NBA for the most part. The players make the coach look good.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#870 » by Kobblehead » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:36 pm

Doc Rivers will be the best coach this team had since Larry Brown. Don't mess this up, Harris.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Post#871 » by PhillyNj » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:50 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Doc Rivers will be the best coach this team had since Larry Brown. Don't mess this up, Harris.

Larr y Brown was good not great here
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Post#872 » by PhillyNj » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:51 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Doc Rivers will be the best coach this team had since Larry Brown. Don't mess this up, Harris.

Larr y Brown was good not great here.
Good coach bad gm
ReddoverKobe
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,888

Post#873 » by ReddoverKobe » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:59 pm

SO how you guys feeling about doc? Plus side is he cant be worse then Bud in the playoffs :)
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#874 » by elchengue20 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:28 pm

I don't like Doc.He never was a great X's and O's coach.His strenght is reaching to players, establishing a good culture and chemistry. It looks like his leadership style is getting a little outdated.He can't reach the new generations like he used to do before. That's why he has been one of the most overated coaches for a while now.

If he can reach to Ben and tell him to man up, start to work on his shooting and actually shoot the ball, while reaching to Joel and tell him to get in shape, maybe he can do a good job here.Still to make this really work we need some innovation in the tactical aspect of the game, wich i don't think he can do it.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#875 » by Skates » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:43 pm

I am not a huge fan of Doc Rivers, but willing to give him a chance. D'Antoni is more of a Hail Mary play, smaller chance of great success, greater chance of total failure. The moment Doc was let go by the Clippers it was a pretty good bet Lue was going to head there. Donovan was my favorite, but he is long out of the running.

FO must be fixed to help the roster balance and construction. No coach will succeed without that. Rivers seems like he will have some effect there, which will at least push along some of the promised changes. Who the new FO folks and players will be can't really be evaluated yet, but we all know change is needed.

Larry Brown was a great coach with a short half life and terrible personnel impulses back in his time and got the Sixers to the finals.

Billy Cunningham was constantly derided as a know nothing X's and O's, good with players coach who couldn't win the big one, until he did.

The Clips were one of the teams that simply didn't adapt to life and play in the Bubble, maybe some of that is on Rivers, but a lot was just weirdness and circumstance. Rivers has coached some long gigs at his various stops and if the locker room got toxic near the end, that isn't unusual. Most coaches are not Pop or Jerry Sloan types that outlast generations of players with the same team, most have an expiration date where their voice has been heard too long and change is needed. If Rivers gives the Sixers 5-6 years of very solid coaching, has a good staff that complements him then he will do a very good job and the rest is up toe the FO and the roster they construct.

Changing coaches is only step one in this process (since the original step one of FO changes hasn't happened yet), but Rivers is as solid of a hire as you are going to get knowing the ownership group wants an experienced and proven coach, not an up and comer.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#876 » by SixersSince82 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:00 pm

kriss73 wrote:Rivers has an history to work well with a group of underachievers and that's what the Sixers are now.

Really?

I think he has a history of underachieving with good players.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#877 » by SixersSince82 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:07 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

Yeah. Ben can't do any of that in the half court. Going to need Chris Paul or some version of a REAL point guard.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,701

Post#878 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:31 pm

Rumor says that Austin Rivers is joining the sixers to be the starting Point Guard... congratulations guys
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#879 » by dilbert719 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:40 pm

WOJ BOMB

Read on Twitter
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#880 » by Negrodamus » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:42 pm

Welp, there it is. I actually don't hate it. Lue and D'Antoni would scare me too much.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers