ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#881 » by Floody100 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:34 am

Green89 wrote:So Tatum had some great playoff games, but has he really excelled at end of game situations? Not being able to close is a concern. He seems to start and end games slower than the middle. I'd be curious to see his crunch time stats in these playoffs.

He’s 22 playing his first playoff series as the #1 option.
Stop overreacting.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#882 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 am

Green89 wrote:So Tatum had some great playoff games, but has he really excelled at end of game situations? Not being able to close is a concern. He seems to start and end games slower than the middle. I'd be curious to see his crunch time stats in these playoffs.

His crunch time stats were really bad, the whole team sucked in crunch time.

It’s a learning process though, every superstar has had to go through this at some point. I think Lebron averaged 25/8/8 on 42/29 shooting splits in the playoffs when he was 22.
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#883 » by akhan786 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:41 am

Got to trade Kemba if we ever want to see Tatum and Brown reach their ceilings

Kemba has served his role admirably as an older player that can carry some responsibility in this transitional year of JT/JB being for the first time the full alphas of a playoff contender for a full year. If we keep him longer, JT especially will use him as a crutch in the clutch instead of blossoming into a true NBA great closer

Now it’s time to cash in on Kemba especially since what he can provide for us going forward is definitely not worth his contract and a desperate need for a big man
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#884 » by darylbe » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:15 am

He's crazy good and will get better. He's 1-2 years ahead of the "superstars" when they were young, except for like, LeBron.

I think he will lose the kobe bull he tries to pull. He will get stronger, get to FT line more (he's been getting there). Needs to show up to play at tip off, his lack of 1st quarters pisses me off so much.

I think he comes back next season prepared, balls in hand, ready to hit shots in big situations. The disappearing act in the 4th quarter will be a thing of the past. Hopefully he can get there by next season, not sure on THAT though.
Def improved efficiency next year though.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#885 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:25 am

Tatum hasn't shot the ball all that well and consistency since the break. I think he hit the weights a little too hard and it'll take some time to regain that stroke he had. He still had a superstar level playoffs. His bad games are other player's career nights and as good as most superstars do on supposed bad nights. He still has work to do. He's 2-3 years away from being fully developed. He needs to tighten up the handle, put on some muscle to help finishing at the rim and keep improving as a playmaker. He's now without a doubt a top ten player. Just barely, but he is. At 22 y/o. It's crazy. The real question is, does he want to keep playing for a pretender because Danny can't draft and screwed the cap by signing Kemba? Or does he sign the qualifying offer and play for $13 million which would allow him to become a UFA after next season. I wouldn't blame him for doing that one bit especially if Danny has another disastrous draft like he did last year.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#886 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:01 am

lol you got me in the first half not gonna lie. Just knew at some point the bashing of Ainge and the franchise would somehow make its way into a post about Tatum’s ceiling.

Never change lol.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,836

Post#887 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:53 am

Future MVP type player. I’ve seen enough.

Elite shot making at the basket and from 3 combined with a tight handle, much improved playmaking and foul drawing ability. Some of the passes he made I would never of dreamed of seeing him make a year or two ago. He can get his shot when he wants, he hits 3s in a number of ways comfortably and he’s become very crafty in the mid range to paint area to get fouls.

He didn’t have it at times in this series. That’s okay. He’s young and he was hurt by the lack of knockdown shooters the team had. Miami can’t zone up or focus heavily on Tatum if there’s some 40% 3 point shooter sitting in the corner.

Defensively he’s a beast.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#888 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:30 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#889 » by greenroom31 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:06 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Duke guys gonna Duke. Sometimes it's that simple.

:dontknow:
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#890 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:09 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

I dunno man. Naming your dog after the most popular Laker of all time and wearing a Lakers shirt in the playoffs. He's already plotting his exit to LA as soon as Lebron retires. (My green font isn't working :lol:)
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#891 » by greenroom31 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:12 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

I dunno man. Naming your dog after the most popular Laker of all time and wearing a Lakers shirt in the playoffs. He's already plotting his exit to LA as soon as Lebron retires. (My green font isn't working :lol:)

Hahaha yeah --

We may not like it, but the younger generation rooted (roots?) for players more so than teams... especially if they grew up in St. Louis. Honestly the guy I would love to see us bring in alongside Tatum is Beal. He's still only 27 and he and Tatum go way back so think signing him would keep both happy and likely in Boston for a long time.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#892 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:23 pm

At this point, Danny should give Tatum everything he wants/needs. If JT wants Deuce to coach a game or two, I think we should let him. And if he wants Bean to replace Lucky as the team mascot, go for it.

No, but seriously, he is the franchise now. Yes, we say no player is bigger than the team, but we also say we can't win without an MVP calibre player. Gotta take care of our future MVP. (Kyrie wasn't an MVP calibre player. We only catered to him because we were chasing AD/KD.) Are we at a point where he should be consulted on certain decisions? Like what Bucks are doing with Giannis or Clippers are doing with Kawhi/PG?
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#893 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:36 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:

Hahaha yeah --

We may not like it, but the younger generation rooted (roots?) for players more so than teams... especially if they grew up in St. Louis. Honestly the guy I would love to see us bring in alongside Tatum is Beal. He's still only 27 and he and Tatum go way back so think signing him would keep both happy and likely in Boston for a long time.

Beal makes a ton of sense, for multiple reasons. I’ve been pushing for him for awhile, someone get Danny on here.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#894 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:46 pm

Read on Twitter
rd26
Junior
And1: 592

Post#895 » by rd26 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:57 pm

Beal would almost certainly cost JB. Not sure how I feel about that
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#896 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:44 pm

rd26 wrote:Beal would almost certainly cost JB. Not sure how I feel about that

There’s definitely pros and cons to it, and I know most Celtics fans probably wouldn’t do it, but Beal would make life infinitely easier on Tatum offensively, plus they’d love to play together. I don’t know if I’d do it, but I’d strongly consider.

Then bring in Giles, let Tatum play with his best friend in the league, who just happens to have real upside.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#897 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:57 pm

The Comedian wrote:

There’s definitely pros and cons to it, and I know most Celtics fans probably wouldn’t do it, but Beal would make life infinitely easier on Tatum offensively, plus they’d love to play together. I don’t know if I’d do it, but I’d strongly consider.

Then bring in Giles, let Tatum play with his best friend in the league, who just happens to have real upside.

I don’t know man. Giles knees are cooked. He looks so slow sometimes. I may be wrong but I don’t see much upside in Giles.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#898 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:13 pm

Beal > Brown for me on ability.. But the fit would make Boston even smaller.. not to mention the salary is not doable.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#899 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:08 am

CelticsPride18 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I don’t know man. Giles knees are cooked. He looks so slow sometimes. I may be wrong but I don’t see much upside in Giles.

Yup. It's great to see that he made the NBA. Everyone I know at Duke says he is a fantastic kid. So great to see him at least make some money after all the knee issues.

You can also see what was there. Great passing instincts, the potential on his shot and defensive awareness for his age. Those knees are just gone now. It looks like a real struggle for him to get up and down the court, he has zero lift and explosion now. He also doesn't have the natural size to survive with the limited athleticism.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#900 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:01 pm

The Comedian wrote:

Be hard but if Jaylen doesn’t make the all star game next year - I think people need to come to grips with....he’s a really good player whose never going to be an all star or star and that’s ok. 24 or not it’s gonna be then going into year 6. Hopefully he does because he improved a lot this year so I’m rooting for him but we will see.

Beal is a player with perennial all star potential.

Return to Boston Celtics