Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1441 » by DCZards » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Sheesh... we're definitely experiencing some over-reaction here!! Rich people often have houses in many places.

No doubt, PIF. And I believe LA is where BB does most of his offseason training. Now, he has a home for he and family when he's there.

I believe his fiancee's from California as well.

Yes, Brad’s wife (she’s no longer his fiancée) Kamiah was raised in Compton, CA.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#1442 » by TGW » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:30 pm

Lol you guys are delusional. It would be different if Beal bought a house in Florida...that would make a little sense considering that he played college ball down there, it’s warm, taxes are low, and he’s just a short flight away from the DC area.

He bought a house in LA. The whole other side of the country. You don’t buy a 7 million dollar house over there because your wife grew up nearby. An NBA player make his nonworking spouse move to where he wants to live. Beal wants to be in LA...full time. A smart front office isn’t shutting their eyes to this type of news.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1443 » by 80sballboy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:08 am

TGW wrote:Lol you guys are delusional. It would be different if Beal bought a house in Florida...that would make a little sense considering that he played college ball down there, it’s warm, taxes are low, and he’s just a short flight away from the DC area.

He bought a house in LA. The whole other side of the country. You don’t buy a 7 million dollar house over there because your wife grew up nearby. An NBA player make his nonworking spouse move to where he wants to live. Beal wants to be in LA...full time. A smart front office isn’t shutting their eyes to this type of news.

Agreed. I've been saying this the last year or two. That they should consider moving him because he doesn't want to be here. Kawhi Leonard and LeBron bought houses in LA before they signed there. You'd be naive' if you didn't think he was considering using that opt out after this season. That's just the first step.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817523-kawhi-leonard-buys-133m-13000-square-foot-home-in-southern-california#:~:text=Kawhi%20Leonard%20Buys%20%2413.3M%2C%2013%2C000%20Square%20Foot%20Home%20in%20Southern%20California,-Paul%20Kasabian&text=forward%20purchased%20a%20%2413.3%20million,of%20the%20Los%20Angeles%20Times.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#1444 » by Wizardspride » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:25 am

TGW wrote:Lol you guys are delusional. It would be different if Beal bought a house in Florida...that would make a little sense considering that he played college ball down there, it’s warm, taxes are low, and he’s just a short flight away from the DC area.

Possible...but many NBA players (at least the star players) have houses on both coasts.

Heck, at one point John had houses on both coasts and Miami... :dontknow:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#1445 » by God Squad » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:32 am

IMO Beals as good as gone and you should be fielding the offers from all teams. Whoever gives the best rebuilding package.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#1446 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that management knows Beal a whole lot better than we do and they have a much better handle on Beal's intentions. If there is indeed a real chance that he plans to leave, then they will of course trade him. If they don't trade him, I'm pretty confident it's because they know he'll stay if we offer a max deal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#1447 » by doclinkin » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:02 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm pretty sure that management knows Beal a whole lot better than we do and they have a much better handle on Beal's intentions. If there is indeed a real chance that he plans to leave, then they will of course trade him. If they don't trade him, I'm pretty confident it's because they know he'll stay if we offer a max deal.

I'd say that nobody knows that, not even Beal, and that it really depends on the competitive environment we build here, how well the next phase of the Beal/Wall experiment works, and the apparent future of the team. I fully expect like most in demand star players Beal is looking at opportunities that are available to him, when superstars on other team mention his name, and it looks enticing to join as the final piece of a superteam. Players want to win. Losing sucks. If we start winning here and can build a winning roster, even as a destination for other winning players, well then he will want to stay. If we don't, if it is more of the same and he continues to be overlooked for all-star and all-NBA consideration simply because he is on a losing team, well, he will listen more closely to the murmurs and may look to his future elsewhere. Every player in the NBA sees superteams forming and becoming instant contenders. Fans get pissed at Durant for cherrypicking a ring with GSW, but with a few exceptions (Dame) stars took the lesson to heart when they saw the Taking My Talents to South Beach crew won an instant ring. And now AD is poised to do the same.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1448 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:36 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm pretty sure that management knows Beal a whole lot better than we do and they have a much better handle on Beal's intentions. If there is indeed a real chance that he plans to leave, then they will of course trade him. If they don't trade him, I'm pretty confident it's because they know he'll stay if we offer a max deal.

I'd say that nobody knows that, not even Beal, and that it really depends on the competitive environment we build here, how well the next phase of the Beal/Wall experiment works, and the apparent future of the team. I fully expect like most in demand star players Beal is looking at opportunities that are available to him, when superstars on other team mention his name, and it looks enticing to join as the final piece of a superteam. Players want to win. Losing sucks. If we start winning here and can build a winning roster, even as a destination for other winning players, well then he will want to stay. If we don't, if it is more of the same and he continues to be overlooked for all-star and all-NBA consideration simply because he is on a losing team, well, he will listen more closely to the murmurs and may look to his future elsewhere. Every player in the NBA sees superteams forming and becoming instant contenders. Fans get pissed at Durant for cherrypicking a ring with GSW, but with a few exceptions (Dame) stars took the lesson to heart when they saw the Taking My Talents to South Beach crew won an instant ring. And now AD is poised to do the same.

All true.

I'm just saying that it demonstrates a great deal of hubris to believe a bunch of clowns on a message board can divine the intentions of Beal more accurately than Tommy Sheppard and the Wizards management team can.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#1449 » by pcbothwel » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:26 pm

Agreed Nate. Im pretty sure everyone is on the same page/timeline. How does Batman Beal gel with Robin Wall and slew of young and talented players, including additions via top 10 pick and the Full MLE?
1) Great. Wall is healthy and mature while Beal picks up right where he left off. The young players, as a whole, are contributing, improving, and playing defense and we look like a top 4-6 seed and right in the mix.
Play out the year and make a playoff run, while looking to extend Beal this offseason.

2) Ehhh, Not bad. Wall is healthy, but there is a bit of clunkyness with him and Beal and the young guys havent made any substantial strides that appear to show Rui or Brown as a legit starter on a playoff team.
Take calls at the deadline, but really just try to continue to improve and gel through a playoff run. Go into next offseason looking to capitalize on Beal after frank conversation. Keep Wall until the league economic are more steady and a team is willing to take on the salary without compensation.

3) Awful. Wall still thinks he's the man while looking like a shell and playing no defense. Young guys show flashes, but overall are poor defenders that lack consistency which lead to frustration in the locker room.
Take calls at the deadline for Beal and look to move unless the offers are terrible. Look to move Wall for whatever you can.

I really have a hard time seeing number 3 occurs. It would really have to be a full collapse for it to get that bad and Wall would probably get hurt AGAIN. And that is the only situation I see Beal actually asking out. That said, I still think the overall strategy/timeline would stay the same for both parties.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1450 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:28 pm

Both of nate & doc have to be right.

No intelligent person simply clamps a lid on his own options. Yet, the idea that a real estate transaction somehow reveals a secret agenda is ridiculous.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1451 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:32 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Agreed Nate. Im pretty sure everyone is on the same page/timeline. How does Batman Beal gel with Robin Wall and slew of young and talented players, including additions via top 10 pick and the Full MLE?
1) Great. Wall is healthy and mature while Beal picks up right where he left off. The young players, as a whole, are contributing, improving, and playing defense and we look like a top 4-6 seed and right in the mix....

Do I understand correctly that you consider this some kind of possibility (i.e. not a fantasy) for the 2020-21 season?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1452 » by pcbothwel » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:10 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Agreed Nate. Im pretty sure everyone is on the same page/timeline. How does Batman Beal gel with Robin Wall and slew of young and talented players, including additions via top 10 pick and the Full MLE?
1) Great. Wall is healthy and mature while Beal picks up right where he left off. The young players, as a whole, are contributing, improving, and playing defense and we look like a top 4-6 seed and right in the mix....

Do I understand correctly that you consider this some kind of possibility (i.e. not a fantasy) for the 2020-21 season?

Uhhh... yeah. I dont think saying "there is a chance that the Wiz go 46-36" is somehow unattainable... At all.

What % chance did you give the F'n Heat to be in the finals?
Or the Raptors to finish with a better record than the Clippers in both the regular season and playoffs?
How about OKC winning as many games as the Jazz and Rockets and more games than last year?

Do you consider it a 0-1% chance that the Wiz get to the 6th seed next year? Seriously... Go look at the 8 playoff teams in the East and tell me what you see. I see the Heat with a bright 2-3 year window, the Celtics with an almost as bright 4-5 year window...and everyone else guessing.
The Bucks, Pacers, and 76ers have serious questions about their stars, fit, contracts, and coaching.
The Raptors are set in the FO/Coaching, but they appear all in on 2021 FA and could see a pull back as they lose Ibaka, Gasol, and Van Fleet while Lowry turns 35 1/3rd of the way through next season.
The Nets have two superstars, but KD is coming off an Achilles tear and Kyrie has any number of issues that could pop up
The Magic simply arent that good and have now lost Isaac for the year

Just take the Pacers. They were the 4th seed this year and won the equivalent of 50 games.
Beal > Sabonis
Wall >= Brogdon***
Bryant >= Turner
Bertans >= Warren
MLE >= McDermott
I would also argue that Brown, Ish, Rui, Bonga, Wagner, #9 > Holiday, McConnell, Goga Lamb

Again, this is comparing what the Pacers did this last year vs Projected Wiz team next year.
*** Wall vs Brogdon is obviously tough. Wall had numerous years better than Brogdan had last year. I believe Wall can do that, but we can call it a wash.

Do you see the comparison above as pure "Fantasy"?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#1453 » by doclinkin » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:17 pm

payitforward wrote:Both of nate & doc have to be right.

No intelligent person simply clamps a lid on his own options. Yet, the idea that a real estate transaction somehow reveals a secret agenda is ridiculous.

Especially when we are talking about a guy who will have earned upwards of $170million over the life of his contract so far. And his next contract will be the biggest of his career. When we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars, what else is he supposed to spend his money on? Given that Drew Hanlen and clients are in the LA area, and working with him is how Brad has added to his game every year, why would he not have a base of operations on the left coast? Especially now that people avoid flying anywhere.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1454 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:21 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:Both of nate & doc have to be right.

Especially when we are talking about a guy who will have earned upwards of $170million over the life of his contract so far. And his next contract will be the biggest of his career. When we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars, what else is he supposed to spend his money on? Given that Drew Hanlen and clients are in the LA area, and working with him is how Brad has added to his game every year, why would he not have a base of operations on the left coast? Especially now that people avoid flying anywhere.

Some aren't understanding that when he's making upwards of 30 million a year, paying $7 mil for a house in CA is not that hard - and makes sense especially if you have relatives there - which apparently he does now. This is hardly a smoking gun.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#1455 » by DCZards » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:35 am

TGW wrote:He bought a house in LA. The whole other side of the country. You don’t buy a 7 million dollar house over there because your wife grew up nearby. An NBA player make his nonworking spouse move to where he wants to live. Beal wants to be in LA...full time. A smart front office isn’t shutting their eyes to this type of news.

But you might buy a house in LA if you spend weeks--if not months--at a time in Cali training and you want your family there with you. You might buy a house in LA if you want your family to be in a large house with a pool, a yard and other amenities (like they're accustomed to in the DC area) and not cooped up in a hotel or condo. You might buy a house in LA if you come from a close-knit family (as Beal certainly does) and you want to have room for your parents and brothers to stay when they come to visit.

And, of course, all this is made easier by the fact that you're a multimillionaire. Not to mention that at least some of the $7 mil cost of the house is probably something BB can write off on his taxes as a business expense.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1456 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:38 pm

Not to mention that it's likely a strong payback as an investment.

Tell you what... is the house next door to his for sale? We could all partner up & buy it!
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#1457 » by vtime » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:07 pm

If Phoenix wanted to pair Beal with Booker what would it take? Would the following package do it?

Ayton
Oubre
Cam Johnson
Mikal Bridges
2020 #10
2022 top 5 protected 1st
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1458 » by pcbothwel » Sun Oct 4, 2020 3:01 pm

vtime wrote:If Phoenix wanted to pair Beal with Booker what would it take? Would the following package do it?

Ayton
Oubre
Cam Johnson
Mikal Bridges
2020 #10
2022 top 5 protected 1st

i dont like the fit for a number of reasons... That said, the value isnt bad.

You need wings... so keep Cam Johnson and throw in Okobo plus another future 1st (Make 2022 top 8 protected and add in 2024 1st)
We would also look for a 3rd team for Oubre. We've done this dance with him before and prefer not to re-up with him, especially given that he would be a win now piece and we would be rebuilding.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#1459 » by Kanyewest » Sun Oct 4, 2020 3:23 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
vtime wrote:If Phoenix wanted to pair Beal with Booker what would it take? Would the following package do it?

Ayton
Oubre
Cam Johnson
Mikal Bridges
2020 #10
2022 top 5 protected 1st

You need wings... so keep Cam Johnson and throw in Okobo plus another future 1st (Make 2022 top 8 protected and add in 2024 1st)
We would also look for a 3rd team for Oubre. We've done this dance with him before and prefer not to re-up with him, especially given that he would be a win now piece and we would be rebuilding.

On the Athletic beat writer mock draft, the Warriors beat writer was willing to trade the #2 pick for the #10 pick and Kelly Oubre.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1460 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:10 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Ayton
Oubre
Cam Johnson
Mikal Bridges
2020 #10
2022 top 5 protected 1st

On the Athletic beat writer mock draft, the Warriors beat writer was willing to trade the #2 pick for the #10 pick and Kelly Oubre.

I'd do that if I was the Warriors. Oubre is a real nice fit for what they need as a 3&D guy who can defend both forward positions. And the #10 isn't that much worse than the #2 in this draft, particularly if you are in a win-now position. Over the next 2 years, a guy like Vassell or Halliburton might help you win more playoff games than a guy like Edwards or Wiseman.

It would be a dream scenario for them if Okongwu was still available at #10. That's unlikely, but if Golden State could work out a 3-way with Detroit where they ultimately get back the #7 pick instead of the #10 that would be ideal.

Return to Washington Wizards