Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1321 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:13 pm

;feature=youtu.be

Haven't played 2K in a couple years but this does look ridiculous.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#1322 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:16 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:;feature=youtu.be

Haven't played 2K in a couple years but this does look ridiculous.

I love that Boban was in the trailer.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,220

Post#1323 » by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:47 pm

I stopped buying 2K a few years ago. This doesn't really grab my attention. Looks similar mechanically with updated graphics. Worth checking out because it's a next gen game but my enthusiasm for it remains pretty low.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1324 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:22 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I stopped buying 2K a few years ago. This doesn't really grab my attention. Looks similar mechanically with updated graphics. Worth checking out because it's a next gen game but my enthusiasm for it remains pretty low.

I think it's been a literal decade since I've played. I have one of the versions that came with PS+, maybe 2 years ago - I think I played a game of it then peaced-out.

Back in the day, it was the simulation aspect that made 2K awesome. To me, now, the simulation aspect is what makes it clunky, un-intuitive, and not fun to play.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1325 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:04 pm

Steam cannot handle the BG3 EA launch, lol.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1326 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:20 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Steam cannot handle the BG3 EA launch, lol.

Word of warning - I locked myself out of making purchases because I attempted too many times...even though it's their fault. And to my understanding from Twitter and forums, the lockout lasts 12 hours.

So long story short, I'll be buying on GOG apparently.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,220

Post#1327 » by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:24 pm

Ugh lol. I was also having issues earlier with Steam and Madden too. Had to open the game through Origin and then it would open Steam. It's fixed now but not surprised EA's having these issues with other games.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1328 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:43 pm

Matches Malone wrote:

Ugh lol. I was also having issues earlier with Steam and Madden too. Had to open the game through Origin and then it would open Steam. It's fixed now but not surprised EA's having these issues with other games.

Oh that's confusing. By EA I meant Early Access, not EA as Electronic Arts. But yep, that sounds very on-brand for EA the company too :lol:

Apparently GOG doesn't support cloud saves, which are important for me. So I created another Steam account and gifted it to myself.

I don't understand why launches are so difficult. I know it's stressful on infra, but do they not stress test? And why not allow pre-loading for EA titles?

Oh well. Downloading now finally :D
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#1329 » by machu46 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 5:53 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I stopped buying 2K a few years ago. This doesn't really grab my attention. Looks similar mechanically with updated graphics. Worth checking out because it's a next gen game but my enthusiasm for it remains pretty low.

I would tend to agree re: graphics being a major upgrade while it looks similar mechanically. I really want to see actual 5 on 5 extended gameplay rather than a couple quick edited clips though.

Does look gorgeous visually.

2K is by far my most played game every year; already have the game preordered and got the PS5 preordered pretty much solely because I wanted to play next-gen 2K so I'm personally thrilled. Looking forward to hearing about the changes they've made this year.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1330 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:00 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Oh that's confusing. By EA I meant Early Access, not EA as Electronic Arts. But yep, that sounds very on-brand for EA the company too :lol:

Apparently GOG doesn't support cloud saves, which are important for me. So I created another Steam account and gifted it to myself.

I don't understand why launches are so difficult. I know it's stressful on infra, but do they not stress test? And why not allow pre-loading for EA titles?

Wanna get me a copy and I’ll Venmo you hahaha. Looks like I’m locked out.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1331 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:06 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Totally. PM me if you actually would like to and we can work it out.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1332 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:08 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Totally. PM me if you actually would like to and we can work it out.

Going to see if the girlfriend can do it for me first because that's a lot easier. If not, I'll PM you.

EDIT: She was able to get it right away. So lame that it locked me out and she waltz through. Anyway, I'm set and installing!
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1333 » by jschligs » Tue Oct 6, 2020 8:30 pm

machu46 wrote:

I would tend to agree re: graphics being a major upgrade while it looks similar mechanically. I really want to see actual 5 on 5 extended gameplay rather than a couple quick edited clips though.

Does look gorgeous visually.

2K is by far my most played game every year; already have the game preordered and got the PS5 preordered pretty much solely because I wanted to play next-gen 2K so I'm personally thrilled. Looking forward to hearing about the changes they've made this year.

I play the **** out of 2k, and the last few iterations have been basically the same damn thing for what I do. I basically only play the non-story MyGM/MyLeague and there has been almost no worth-while improvements. Will hope to get it once it goes on sale down the road.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1334 » by WRau1 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 10:44 pm

Haven't got a chance to mess with BG3 yet but I've read some disappointing things so far. I'm still pumped for it, though.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1335 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Oct 7, 2020 12:03 am

WRau1 wrote:Haven't got a chance to mess with BG3 yet but I've read some disappointing things so far. I'm still pumped for it, though.

It is quite buggy in my experience so far. But it’s an EA. I am not certain that Larian should have done an EA for this game - I can’t imagine that they need the money - for exactly this reason. Has there been a bigger budget, more hyped, open EA before this?

But, as someone familiar with what to expect from EA games and also someone who’s been dying to return to this universe, I’m happy so far :)
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1336 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Oct 7, 2020 12:48 am

If anyone figures out a good way to highlight interactables, let me know. Alt, Ctrl, Shift, and Tab are not working so far. Nothing in the menu is jumping out to me.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1337 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:34 am

MikeIsGood wrote:If anyone figures out a good way to highlight interactables, let me know. Alt, Ctrl, Shift, and Tab are not working so far. Nothing in the menu is jumping out to me.

I think Alt does it, but just for items. I got to a camp of sorts (avoiding spoiling anything specific, as I know you are hype), and I could see a bunch of items I could steal if I wanted to doing that.

Played for about 4 hours playing co-op with a buddy and had a very good time. Honestly, pretty shocked that playing this type of game co-op was as fun as it was. I'd say that I'm quite happy and it's just about what I wanted. A few wonky things, but I know it's a good year out from full release so I'm quite forgiving.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1338 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:34 am

Really curious to hear what everyone thinks. I mean honestly, this is probably the most polished EA I have ever played. I have a feeling that the negative feedback thus far is mostly from people who prior to this have never played an EA. This is in quite good shape for essentially a beta.

The worst part is the camera. It's messy and there's lots of clipping. The animations when talking with characters are also choppy (which the devs, to their credit, directly said would be an issue). The gameplay itself feels very DOS, which I'm cool with. I think it feels a little choppy right now, but I may also need to get used to it a bit as it's been quite some time since I played DOS.

My biggest gripe - with EA in mind - is one I knew going in - it's BG3 in name only. It'd feel more accurate, to me, to call it DOS3. The gameplay is so different from BG2 that it feels a little disingenuous to have it carry the name. But, as I've said before, as someone who also thoroughly enjoys/enjoyed DOS, I can live with it and then some. Getting to revisit Faerun, and specifically BG and the Sword Coast, again with a DOS engine feels great. In the back of my mind I still wish Obsidian had gotten the rights so that they could have done the PoE thing with the universe, but I also know that game style is much more niche than it was 20 years ago, so it never would have seen this popularity.

Anyways, about 4 hours in, I am quite pleased!
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1339 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:31 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Really curious to hear what everyone thinks. I mean honestly, this is probably the most polished EA I have ever played. I have a feeling that the negative feedback thus far is mostly from people who prior to this have never played an EA. This is in quite good shape for essentially a beta.

The worst part is the camera. It's messy and there's lots of clipping. The animations when talking with characters are also choppy (which the devs, to their credit, directly said would be an issue). The gameplay itself feels very DOS, which I'm cool with. I think it feels a little choppy right now, but I may also need to get used to it a bit as it's been quite some time since I played DOS.

My biggest gripe - with EA in mind - is one I knew going in - it's BG3 in name only. It'd feel more accurate, to me, to call it DOS3. The gameplay is so different from BG2 that it feels a little disingenuous to have it carry the name. But, as I've said before, as someone who also thoroughly enjoys/enjoyed DOS, I can live with it and then some. Getting to revisit Faerun, and specifically BG and the Sword Coast, again with a DOS engine feels great. In the back of my mind I still wish Obsidian had gotten the rights so that they could have done the PoE thing with the universe, but I also know that game style is much more niche than it was 20 years ago, so it never would have seen this popularity.

Yeah there’s a few little bugs, but I’ll agree it’s quite polished for early access too. Some of these glitches I could see being on a launch title and patched over these days. I get the it’s not really the infinity engine BG3 people probably wanted back in the day, but it’s also been literally over 20 years since the original. We’ve gone over this before, but basically being DOS3 with a different name is sort of the draw for me. Simply a difference of experiences.

Anyway, did you end up going with Rogue? More interested to see how you like the rule set. There are a few distinct changes from the table top experience to make for a better video game, but nothing too drastic. Ranger looks like it got a complete rework for BG3; almost all the level one options are new and now make me interested in tinkering with it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1340 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:00 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Really curious to hear what everyone thinks. I mean honestly, this is probably the most polished EA I have ever played. I have a feeling that the negative feedback thus far is mostly from people who prior to this have never played an EA. This is in quite good shape for essentially a beta.

Yeah there’s a few little bugs, but I’ll agree it’s quite polished for early access too. Some of these glitches I could see being on a launch title and patched over these days. I get the it’s not really the infinity engine BG3 people probably wanted back in the day, but it’s also been literally over 20 years since the original. We’ve gone over this before, but basically being DOS3 with a different name is sort of the draw for me. Simply a difference of experiences.

Anyway, did you end up going with Rogue? More interested to see how you like the rule set. There are a few distinct changes from the table top experience to make for a better video game, but nothing too drastic. Ranger looks like it got a complete rework for BG3; almost all the level one options are new and now make me interested in tinkering with it.

Ehhhhh, I don't think it's fair to suggest that this is just what an upgraded Infinity Engine game would look like. There have been plenty of isometric games in recent years - PoE being the biggest, but also Tyranny, and hell, even Wasteland. They could have upgraded the formula. My point with bringing it back up was that it comes through again when playing it. I mean it would be one thing if it was a story continuation, but it isn't that either. It just isn't BG - they slapped the name/licensing on there to pander for sales from fans who have wanted this for 20 years. That is the part that I don't like. Still want it set in Baldur's Gate? Sure, then subtitle it, don't call it BG3. I know it's 'just a name', but it's also a big, important name that carries a lot of value.

Anyway, I digress. I did roll a wood elf rogue. It's tough for me to tell what is rule set vs. game engine and design vs. bugs or interface functionality. Here's a rundown of the things top of mind:

Sneak attack does feel great with a bow! But one of the things I can't figure out is when I can truly use it. It's always highlighted as available, even if I'm standing directly in front of the only enemy left. In general, I also can't really determine when I am or am not hidden. The initial HIS check shows well enough, but after moving or after enemies move, it's much less clear. In other DND game I've played, HIS usually comes with a visual cue similar to what they'd use for invisibility, where your character has some translucence.

It appears some environmental effects last in perpetuity? Grease does not disappear, nor does fire. Along similar lines, I also can't figure out how they are representing turns/rounds, including on spells you cast. Like how long does the divine armor spell that I just cast actually last?

One item I'm sure actually is 5e is the amount of non-combat roles. Holy hell, there are a lot of them so far. And I haven't settled on how much I like it, much because it makes it feel like save-scumming is the solution.

And one final note, not ruleset or gameplay related, but they really need to make it so you can set frequency on autosave. Right now it does it at what appears to be preset events in the world/story, and it really needs to be able to be set to an 'every 5 minutes' kind of thing. Hitting F5 every 30 seconds because you don't recall when you last saved isn't fun.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks