ImageImageImage

NBA Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,934

Re: NBA Free Agency 

Post#61 » by wolves_89 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:18 am

Baseline81 wrote:If it's true about the Wolves and Campazzo, does it have any impact on the Wolves deciding between Ball and Edwards?

I ask because with his age, role, and contract situation, he would need to be seen as someone in the rotation.

I doubt signing Campazzo would have much impact on who the Wolves draft. Compazzo will be 30 during next season, so he is not a guy that factors much into the team's long term planning.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,934

Post#62 » by wolves_89 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:25 am

Assuming the Wolves make a QOs to Beasley and Hernangomez they will be operating this off-season as an over the cap team, meaning the most we have to work with in free agency is the MLE. With that in mind there is no real chance to go after the upper tier of free agent talent and even the second tier guys like Bertrans, Harris, Morris, Millsap, and Grant are likely out of reach. The two guys that have at least a chance of being in the Wolves price range might be Crowder and Harkless (and I would guess Crowder prefers to sign with a better team). So, I am hoping the team pursues Harkless who has good size/length at SF and can defend bigger wings. Other free agents I could see the Wolves going after as upside type guys include Nerlens Noel, Kris Dunn, and Josh Jackson.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,060

Post#63 » by MN7725 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:32 am

wolves_89 wrote:Assuming the Wolves make a QOs to Beasley and Hernangomez they will be operating this off-season as an over the cap team, meaning the most we have to work with in free agency is the MLE. With that in mind there is no real chance to go after the upper tier of free agent talent and even the second tier guys like Bertrans, Harris, Morris, Millsap, and Grant are likely out of reach. The two guys that have at least a chance of being in the Wolves price range might be Crowder and Harkless (and I would guess Crowder prefers to sign with a better team). So, I am hoping the team pursues Harkless who has good size/length at SF and can defend bigger wings. Other free agents I could see the Wolves going after as upside type guys include Nerlens Noel, Kris Dunn, and Josh Jackson.

Stanley Johnson would be another if he opts out
Hugely disappointing career so far, but defensively/physically exactly what's need
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#64 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:19 am

MN7725 wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:Assuming the Wolves make a QOs to Beasley and Hernangomez they will be operating this off-season as an over the cap team, meaning the most we have to work with in free agency is the MLE. With that in mind there is no real chance to go after the upper tier of free agent talent and even the second tier guys like Bertrans, Harris, Morris, Millsap, and Grant are likely out of reach. The two guys that have at least a chance of being in the Wolves price range might be Crowder and Harkless (and I would guess Crowder prefers to sign with a better team). So, I am hoping the team pursues Harkless who has good size/length at SF and can defend bigger wings. Other free agents I could see the Wolves going after as upside type guys include Nerlens Noel, Kris Dunn, and Josh Jackson.

Hugely disappointing career so far, but defensively/physically exactly what's need

Dunn and Noel would be huge bench additions. We could probly start Noel at center and towns at pf if we don't draft/trade for a legit starting PF.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#65 » by Neeva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:23 am

Beasley’s off court issues may have saved the wolves 5-7 million though?

I like taking a chance on Jackson, not sure I want Dunn back though.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#66 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:23 am

IceManBK1 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:

Dunn and Noel would be huge bench additions. We could probly start Noel at center and towns at pf if we don't draft/trade for a legit starting PF.

:nonono:
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#67 » by Dewey » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:05 pm

Based on the “rumored” intel, I’m not sure I want him under a multi-year contract ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#68 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:28 pm

Dewey wrote:Based on the “rumored” intel, I’m not sure I want him under a multi-year contract ...

who?
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#69 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:03 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
Dewey wrote:Based on the “rumored” intel, I’m not sure I want him under a multi-year contract ...

who?

Pretty sure he means Beasley.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#70 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:12 am

Neeva wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Mattya wrote:Been harping on getting Derrick Jones Jr for a while. For everyone who wants Jeremi Grant, getting DJJ is a lot like getting a younger less proven version of that player. If they can develop him even further he would be new perfect here.

What interests you about him enough to harp about the option? Just wondering.
I see a 4th year player still shooting 3s below 30%.(.282) And FT% below 70% (.690), rebounding less than 4/g. Is there something he is great at or would make click here?

Why does it always seem like ALL you do is look at stats and boxscores and not actual games?

Am I supposed to watch all 30 teams' games and their 15 rostered players closely as to not draw your character opinions of me? The guy finally attained 20 mins/g this year and broke over 2 3fga and his percentage of makes dropped. That's a really important stat for the Wolves who appear to want to shoot 40 3s a game. So I've been focused on this stat and ability in my posts lately.

What concerns me about him?
When looking at players that have been playing for years on minimal minutes, I'm keenly focused on what occurs when they finally get a jump in minutes and shot attempts; how they respond for two reasons. For one, I believe a lot of players never get enough minutes to prove what they are capable of so there are players to be found. Secondly, I think it's telling what occurs when a player finally gets that chance at regular 20+ mins. To check my consistency, consider my posts about the Treveon Graham signing the previous offseason. Since I didn't know much about him I instantly checked his stats. His previous season had a jump in minutes and all his numbers dropped hard. It was concerning to me, and I went back and forth with people here about that who suggested it wasn't a big deal. Meanwhile, somehow he was in the mix for a possible starting role based on Ryan's comments and others here posting all summer about him. I objected. The Wolves started him. The story later became he needs to start for "his defense" when it was realized by all that his shot was broken when playing high minutes. Then they just traded him out. No one here said, man...I apologize for spinning all that positive swill in your face all summer - I was wrong. Nobody is going to. It's just on to the new claims as usual. And the team doesn't apologize to you for making you watch another wasted season. They never will. So pardon me if I want to avoid another misguided move. Granted, his numbers didn't drop as far as Graham's did with higher minutes. But they didn't climb either, and that's what I'm looking for. A player that explodes in a good way when finally getting that shot. The Heat probably are too. Which is why they give higher minutes and starts to rookies and second year players before him in playoffs.

As an alternative, Joe Harris should be a FA option this offseason. He's got 6'6" size. He's got shooting skills. He doesn't rebound much either for his size. But he'll make more of the shots you need him to if his proven history has anything to do with it. Desmond Bane might end up another like this from the draft cheaper. Some don't like his short wingspan, but DJJ's 7 ft wingspan doesn't appear to add too much excitement to his game after 4 seasons either. So...

I presented what DJJ's basic stats are saying and asked Mattya for his opinion on what I'm missing. His opinion's have changed my mind on players recently so it's worth asking. Now, can you give me a reason to read your posts?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#71 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 6, 2020 10:35 am

Jedzz wrote:To check my consistency, consider my posts about the Treveon Graham signing the previous offseason. Since I didn't know much about him I instantly checked his stats. His previous season had a jump in minutes and all his numbers dropped hard. It was concerning to me, and I went back and forth with people here about that who suggested it wasn't a big deal. Meanwhile, somehow he was in the mix for a possible starting role based on Ryan's comments and others here posting all summer about him. I objected. The Wolves started him. The story later became he needs to start for "his defense" when it was realized by all that his shot was broken when playing high minutes. Then they just traded him out. No one here said, man...I apologize for spinning all that positive swill in your face all summer - I was wrong. Nobody is going to. It's just on to the new claims as usual. And the team doesn't apologize to you for making you watch another wasted season. They never will. So pardon me if I want to avoid another misguided move.

Spinning positive swill? Like you said, he started. I never misled you. This wasn't someone getting DNPs who I argued would be starting or playing a major role. Yes they traded him away, but for the time here he was someone who was getting time. Last summer, this was my comment on the Graham and Napier trade:

I think they were both targeted for specific reasons, and won't be afterthoughts on the team.

Was I wrong? Was Graham not targeted, played and even started for his defense? Was he an afterthought out of the rotation while he was here? You can argue his effectiveness all you want, but clearly the team agreed on both sides. He was targeted for his defense. He was traded away for his shooting.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#72 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:00 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:To check my consistency, consider my posts about the Treveon Graham signing the previous offseason. Since I didn't know much about him I instantly checked his stats. His previous season had a jump in minutes and all his numbers dropped hard. It was concerning to me, and I went back and forth with people here about that who suggested it wasn't a big deal. Meanwhile, somehow he was in the mix for a possible starting role based on Ryan's comments and others here posting all summer about him. I objected. The Wolves started him. The story later became he needs to start for "his defense" when it was realized by all that his shot was broken when playing high minutes. Then they just traded him out. No one here said, man...I apologize for spinning all that positive swill in your face all summer - I was wrong. Nobody is going to. It's just on to the new claims as usual. And the team doesn't apologize to you for making you watch another wasted season. They never will. So pardon me if I want to avoid another misguided move.

Spinning positive swill? Like you said, he started. I never misled you. This wasn't someone getting DNPs who I argued would be starting or playing a major role. Yes they traded him away, but for the time here he was someone who was getting time. Last summer, this was my comment on the Graham and Napier trade:

I think they were both targeted for specific reasons, and won't be afterthoughts on the team.

Was I wrong? Was Graham not targeted, played and even started for his defense? Was he an afterthought out of the rotation while he was here? You can argue his effectiveness all you want, but clearly the team agreed on both sides. He was targeted for his defense. He was traded away for his shooting.

Misled? No, You were simply WRONG for agreeing with the move to add him to the team, suggesting he could fit here, help this team, deserve a role over others. None of it was the correct moves and all you did is argue with us that said so.

Now this response? Hogwash. You were keen on this FA pickup all summer as a bench surprise and then doubled down going into the season suggesting starter role.

Just one example, one thread. First page:

First page of Constructing the Timberwolves Rotation thread. You posted your roster list with a free nod to Graham initially as in the mix for top 10 players of roster. Pushing guys like Nowell, Reid, Mclaughlin, Martin completely out to the Gleague. This suggestion irked me as it was.
Jedzz wrote:Please explain this Graham business.

I still feel Graham failed hardcore last season when he got a chance at 20 mins a game. His FG% dropped to 34%, his threes dropped to .297 on 3.7 attempts/game. Easily all his highest shot attempts and minutes and everything fell. Adding Note: I suggested Martin/Mclaughlin even Nowell getting minutes before he ever does.

Your later post first page of thread...
Klomp wrote:I made this post at the very start of training camp, but I gotta say I don't see major change based on preseason. Biggest change I'd make is on the bench, where I'd move Graham all the way up to the group of guys in line for the fifth starting spot. Would then maybe move KBD down into the group with Nowell and Reid, and put Bell down into a tier with the other two bigs.

So began the in detail discussions on this topic beyond what we already had during the summer. Let's hope these kinds of FA additions don't continue.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,581

Post#73 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:13 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Misled? No, You were simply WRONG for agreeing with the move to add him to the team, suggesting he could fit here, help this team, deserve a role over others. None of it was the correct moves and all you did is argue with us that said so.

Now this response? Hogwash. You were keen on this FA pickup all summer as a bench surprise and then doubled down going into the season suggesting starter role.

First page of Constructing the Timberwolves Rotation thread. You posted your roster list with a free nod to Graham initially as in the mix for top 10 players of roster. Pushing guys like Nowell, Reid, Mclaughlin, Martin completely out to the Gleague. This suggestion irked me as it was.

I still feel Graham failed hardcore last season when he got a chance at 20 mins a game. His FG% dropped to 34%, his threes dropped to .297 on 3.7 attempts/game. Easily all his highest shot attempts and minutes and everything fell. Adding Note: I suggested Martin/Mclaughlin even Nowell getting minutes before he ever does.

Klomp wrote:I made this post at the very start of training camp, but I gotta say I don't see major change based on preseason. Biggest change I'd make is on the bench, where I'd move Graham all the way up to the group of guys in line for the fifth starting spot. Would then maybe move KBD down into the group with Nowell and Reid, and put Bell down into a tier with the other two bigs.

So began the in detail discussions on this topic beyond what we already had during the summer.

I was wrong for saying he was in a group of guys in line for the fifth starting spot? That's exactly what he was. He started 20 of his 33 games played in Minnesota. Looks to me like I was exactly spot on in seeing how the team would use him.

That's the difference. I don't put emotions behind my posts. I'm not saying what I would do, because I don't believe that matters at the end of the day. I'm just a fan, not a member of the front office or coaching staff. My emotions will not sway Gersson Rosas or Ryan Saunders because I'm not in any meetings with them. I'm simply analyzing what the team does and using it to predict what they might do in the future. I was "Pushing guys like Nowell, Reid, Mclaughlin, Martin completely out to the Gleague" because that was my analysis of the situation and roster at the time. And what happened? Nowell, Reid, McLaughlin and Martin all spent most of the early part of the season in the G League. Once again, looks like I was exactly spot on in my read of the situation at the time.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#74 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:24 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Spinning positive swill? Like you said, he started. I never misled you. This wasn't someone getting DNPs who I argued would be starting or playing a major role. Yes they traded him away, but for the time here he was someone who was getting time. Last summer, this was my comment on the Graham and Napier trade:

So began the in detail discussions on this topic beyond what we already had during the summer.

I was wrong for saying he was in a group of guys in line for the fifth starting spot? That's exactly what he was. He started 20 of his 33 games played in Minnesota. Looks to me like I was exactly spot on in seeing how the team would use him.

Don't try to play this off as if you were simply playing nostrodamus on what the team would likely do. You clear as fact stated "I'd move Graham all the way up to the group of guys in line for 5th starting spot." That's you saing You Would do this because of what you had seen.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#75 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:29 pm

When I kept on, disagreeing, suggesting Graham was not right for minutes over the other players, you argued endlessly for reasons why. Your answers included both your own opinions and also why you thought the team would do it.

The problem is that the team was wrong, and you were wrong, and all along you never listen or entertain the alternatives people are posting about. You knew better. So you thought. And now you won't even admit it was something you wanted to see happen. But it's right there in your posts. We can go on and on posting quotes about all your excuses for why he was better for minutes now over players that seemed to be better even just starting out. I'm not going to continue, because I know you are going to continue to deny this forever.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,751

Post#76 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:57 pm

Jeddz...they clearly created the “Ignore” option for posters like you. Every post you make is condescending, argumentative and divisive. Your schtick gets very, very old and diminishes the fun of coming to this board. I’m guessing I’m not the only person here that feels the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#77 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:39 am

If JJ declines his PO. And our top priorities fail, no Simmons or Aaron Gordon. We would have the cap space to sign Serge Ibaka to maybe a 3 yr 45 mil deal? Add a decent 3D guy with the MLE. Joe Harris, Jae Crowder..Thad Young via trade? Add Nerlens Noel with vet min like deal? I don't know David Nwaba's status after he torn his ACL. But very good defensive guard. Maybe we make a trade for Kris Dunn somehow.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#78 » by Jedzz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:03 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:Jeddz...they clearly created the “Ignore” option for posters like you. Every post you make is condescending, argumentative and divisive. Your schtick gets very, very old and diminishes the fun of coming to this board. I’m guessing I’m not the only person here that feels the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, that's your right. And I should have put Klomp on ignore last summer/fall. Because he was right there to be the condescending one every time we said anything that he didn't agree with. Now that all the bs he was throwing out then was proven wrong, I don't have a right to call him on it? I'll remind you bud, to take a look at who quoted my post to others to jump into this conversation. It was Klomp. I never even named him in the example. Purposely left his name out because it wasn't my point to get into an argument. The reality of getting our righteous posts thrown in our face each summer was. But he knew it was him so he chimed in quoting to disagree and be the divisive one trying to change the points of his past posts. I don't have a right to call him on his attempts to rewrite history now?

He could have been a much less condescending poster last summer/fall to people with differing opinions from his. How I respond to him is competely commensurate with how he's responded to me over time. I can tell you as a fact the only time he's not trying to be condescending with me is when I happen to be pushing some thought that he is inline with. You see, he can't simply disagree like you and I are now. You don't see me twisting your words or intentions or trying to condescend you about this.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#79 » by Jedzz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:04 pm

No news on MN own FAs I suppose.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,931

Post#80 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:45 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:If JJ declines his PO. And our top priorities fail, no Simmons or Aaron Gordon. We would have the cap space to sign Serge Ibaka to maybe a 3 yr 45 mil deal? Add a decent 3D guy with the MLE. Joe Harris, Jae Crowder..Thad Young via trade? Add Nerlens Noel with vet min like deal? I don't know David Nwaba's status after he torn his ACL. But very good defensive guard. Maybe we make a trade for Kris Dunn somehow.

I can’t imagine there’s a way Johnson declines his option. It’d be a pretty stupid decision on his part.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves