ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Presidential Election Thread: The Homestretch

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

2020 Presidential Election Thread: The Homestretch 

Post#1 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:16 pm

This thread is getting one more chance. For your convenience, I will post Cap's announcement about what the rules of engagement are in this thread

Capn'O wrote:Sports and culture/politics frequently intersect. Over the past few months the intersection has become even more prominent with the very balance of the game becoming affected by current events. We lost the last quarter of our Knicks season to the pandemic and more recently the players chose to strike due to racial justice concerns.

Political/cultural threads offer the board an opportunity to connect beyond the game and we encourage our users to participate and engage beyond the game. That said, managing OT politics threads has been a constant challenge for the mod team as these threads are most likely to turn into personal squabbles with multiple TOS violations. Recently, the mod team has gained feedback from numerous posters that the hostile environment in these threads has been a turnoff not only from the threads but from the board itself.

This announcement serves to inform users that the mod team intends to be more hands on in these threads in coming months. We plan on using temp bans and thread halts with more frequency if and when these threads derail too far from their original intent or become a hotbed for personal insults and baiting. Flame wars that turn into personal bickering between two or three posters neither help progress a conversation on an issue nor are enjoyable or interesting to read. The mod team generally aims to avoid losing regular posters over political threads as much as we can.

We will also be managing the overall number of political threads on the board. At the end of the day, this is a Knicks board and the site does have a current events board located here:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=69

Perhaps most important of all, we remind posters that when you see content that you disagree with to respond by addressing the post content and not the poster. Here’s an example:

Not ok – attacks the poster
“You are a Russian mail order bride”

Ok – attacks the post
“Your post shows the hallmarks of the worldview of a Russian mail order bride. I hereby cite the following official stances from the ‘National Association of Russian Mail Order Brides’ as evidence…”

Aside from whether calling people names is nice or not, the first example provokes an inherently personal response. The poster has to defend not only the idea presented but their very character. Character is above your pay grade and above the pay grade of the mods. The second keeps the conversation focused on the content and sources.

Likewise, posts that generalize character for entire groups of people are similarly inflammatory and generate personal responses. We have posters from all over the world of many nationalities, races, religions, identities and so forth on this forum. We have cops and frequent protesters here as people who have close connections to many groups. Remember, the person opposite you or somewhere in the middle is the person that you have to convince.

When infractions come up

Report and the mod team will make a call. But note a few things:

- We aren’t going to be enforcing every little name that comes up in these threads. More egregious acts and repeated acts are what we’ll be looking for. Just because somebody says something a little rude doesn't mean it needs to be... really even acknowledged...

- We look at context. If we see a report and see that the person reporting is responding in kind then both parties are at risk.

- We may just choose to halt or close threads that have turned into abject flame wars.

With that said, enjoy the rest of your weekend and these discussions and may the Knicks grab the Steph Curry of this years draft!

Stick to this, and we should be fine.

If you feel that someone is trolling or in this thread in bad faith report rather than reply.

Let's have a good discussion about important issues.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Re: 2020 Presidential Election Thread: The Homestretch 

Post#2 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:19 pm

IB4TL. There's no grey area anymore (I appreciate the effort though).
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#3 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,009

Post#4 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:17 pm

This guy has seen the light
Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,671

Post#5 » by Pointgod » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:56 pm

GONYK wrote:This thread is getting one more chance. For your convenience, I will post Cap's announcement about what the rules of engagement are in this thread

Capn'O wrote:Sports and culture/politics frequently intersect. Over the past few months the intersection has become even more prominent with the very balance of the game becoming affected by current events. We lost the last quarter of our Knicks season to the pandemic and more recently the players chose to strike due to racial justice concerns.

Political/cultural threads offer the board an opportunity to connect beyond the game and we encourage our users to participate and engage beyond the game. That said, managing OT politics threads has been a constant challenge for the mod team as these threads are most likely to turn into personal squabbles with multiple TOS violations. Recently, the mod team has gained feedback from numerous posters that the hostile environment in these threads has been a turnoff not only from the threads but from the board itself.

This announcement serves to inform users that the mod team intends to be more hands on in these threads in coming months. We plan on using temp bans and thread halts with more frequency if and when these threads derail too far from their original intent or become a hotbed for personal insults and baiting. Flame wars that turn into personal bickering between two or three posters neither help progress a conversation on an issue nor are enjoyable or interesting to read. The mod team generally aims to avoid losing regular posters over political threads as much as we can.

We will also be managing the overall number of political threads on the board. At the end of the day, this is a Knicks board and the site does have a current events board located here:

Perhaps most important of all, we remind posters that when you see content that you disagree with to respond by addressing the post content and not the poster. Here’s an example:

Ok – attacks the post
“Your post shows the hallmarks of the worldview of a Russian mail order bride. I hereby cite the following official stances from the ‘National Association of Russian Mail Order Brides’ as evidence…”

Aside from whether calling people names is nice or not, the first example provokes an inherently personal response. The poster has to defend not only the idea presented but their very character. Character is above your pay grade and above the pay grade of the mods. The second keeps the conversation focused on the content and sources.

Likewise, posts that generalize character for entire groups of people are similarly inflammatory and generate personal responses. We have posters from all over the world of many nationalities, races, religions, identities and so forth on this forum. We have cops and frequent protesters here as people who have close connections to many groups. Remember, the person opposite you or somewhere in the middle is the person that you have to convince.

When infractions come up

- We aren’t going to be enforcing every little name that comes up in these threads. More egregious acts and repeated acts are what we’ll be looking for. Just because somebody says something a little rude doesn't mean it needs to be... really even acknowledged...

- We look at context. If we see a report and see that the person reporting is responding in kind then both parties are at risk.

- We may just choose to halt or close threads that have turned into abject flame wars.

With that said, enjoy the rest of your weekend and these discussions and may the Knicks grab the Steph Curry of this years draft!

If you feel that someone is trolling or in this thread in bad faith report rather than reply.

You are a Russian mail order bride!
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#6 » by rammagen » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:58 pm

Pointgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:This thread is getting one more chance. For your convenience, I will post Cap's announcement about what the rules of engagement are in this thread

Ok – attacks the post

When infractions come up

You are a Russian mail order bride!

LOL
Sir with all due respect I think you mean to say you have the classic trademarks of being a Russian Mail order bride
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,522

Post#7 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:10 pm

GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

This recent covid debacle has boded well for Biden. It's the old adage of not getting in the way of your enemy destroying themselves. He's just Biden his time.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,663

Post#8 » by nedleeds » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:12 pm

I think Trump punted the debate pretty badly, given how well prepped he was the week before in Atlanta I think he was hopped up on drugs for the debate. He skipped every talking point he had memorized the week before when hit with the 'Racism' line of questioning. It's maddening.

He could have possibly spun him getting Covid into something empathetic and gotten some sideline voters or whatever few swing voters remain. But he took the opportunity to double down on dick measuring and the whole thing came out as a clownish. He could have shown humility, he could have shown empathy for those that died from this, he could have pushed the safety angle and people being responsible. He's such a myopic idiot that he punted an opportunity to show respect for all health care workers who fought this thing all Spring, instead he just humped the Walter Reed staff.

Sleepy Joe and Aunt Smollett have the lead going down the back 9 and a stale piece of bread like Mike Pence isn't going to pull Orange Clown any closer.

Orange Lord also added Larry Elder as a hail mary to get older black voters. The chance of this actually working, or getting to ground in time for voting (which is already starting in most states) is like 0%.

The Rock / Mark Cuban 2024
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Post#9 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:21 pm

I can only laugh about a party running the likes of a man known as The Rock and Mark Cuban for the highest POLITICAL position. This is real life, folks.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,663

Post#10 » by nedleeds » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:23 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:I can only laugh about a party running the likes of a man known as The Rock and Mark Cuban for the highest POLITICAL position. This is real life, folks.

Hahahahaah I wish it was a joke. But look who is running this year man, a grifter reality TV star and a corpse. You'd snap pull the **** lever for The Rock and Mark Cuban this year, admit it.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:31 pm

nedleeds wrote:I think Trump punted the debate pretty badly, given how well prepped he was the week before in Atlanta I think he was hopped up on drugs for the debate. He skipped every talking point he had memorized the week before when hit with the 'Racism' line of questioning. It's maddening.

He could have possibly spun him getting Covid into something empathetic and gotten some sideline voters or whatever few swing voters remain. But he took the opportunity to double down on dick measuring and the whole thing came out as a clownish. He could have shown humility, he could have shown empathy for those that died from this, he could have pushed the safety angle and people being responsible. He's such a myopic idiot that he punted an opportunity to show respect for all health care workers who fought this thing all Spring, instead he just humped the Walter Reed staff.

Sleepy Joe and Aunt Smollett have the lead going down the back 9 and a stale piece of bread like Mike Pence isn't going to pull Orange Clown any closer.

Orange Lord also added Larry Elder as a hail mary to get older black voters. The chance of this actually working, or getting to ground in time for voting (which is already starting in most states) is like 0%.

Here is the thing about that...

Trump is bad at being a politician. The very basics of optics elude him.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,856

Post#12 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:39 pm

Just to get one thing straight:

I am a Russian mail order bride!
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#13 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:41 pm

GONYK wrote:
nedleeds wrote:I think Trump punted the debate pretty badly, given how well prepped he was the week before in Atlanta I think he was hopped up on drugs for the debate. He skipped every talking point he had memorized the week before when hit with the 'Racism' line of questioning. It's maddening.

Trump is still playing a President on TV, except nobody can figure out what TV show he thinks he's on
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#14 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:43 pm

Rasmussen, AKA the Trump Poll, took a Titanic sized U-Turn in the past few days and flipped a full ten points in Biden's favor.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#15 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:46 pm

So now that it has revealed the WH didn't even have a regular testing schedule for Trump, we don't even know for sure when he got infected.

It does mean he could have been infected when he went to the debate in Cleveland.

The questions I have are:

when did he truly know and did he know he had it or a member of his maskless entourage had it by that Tuesday?
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#16 » by Pointgod » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:49 pm

GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Here’s the thing polls weren’t really wrong in 2016 either. Polls don’t vote, what pollsters couldn’t take into account was the massive number of Democratic voters that shot themselves in the face by either staying home, leaving the top of the ballot blank or writing in another candidate and writing in third party.

Blaming the polls is just a convenient way of people absolving themselves of blame for allowing Trump to get elected.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#17 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:50 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:I can only laugh about a party running the likes of a man known as The Rock and Mark Cuban for the highest POLITICAL position. This is real life, folks.

The "less government" and "outsider" meme has done more to attract grifters and losers into high office than simply honoring the sense of duty that true civil servants can bring to their jobs. If America is ever going to get serious about rooting out corruption in government you're going to have to honor those who choose public service as a career path and make being a politician an honorable choice. It is like the teaching profession. You need to attract the best talent with more than the lure of riches.

The Trump administration has gutted so many of our federal agencies of non-elected, but appointed career civil servants who served in a non-partisan fashion for both parties over decades. It has temporarily ruined our government and will take at least one or two terms to fix by luring back people with the experience and institutional memories needed who were sent packing during Trump's McCarthyite loyalty purges.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#18 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:51 pm

Pointgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Here’s the thing polls weren’t really wrong in 2016 either. Polls don’t vote, what pollsters couldn’t take into account was the massive number of Democratic voters that shot themselves in the face by either staying home, leaving the top of the ballot blank or writing in another candidate and writing in third party.

Blaming the polls is just a convenient way of people absolving themselves of blame for allowing Trump to get elected.

Correct. Trump won by 80k votes in 3 states, while losing the popular vote by like 3M.

Polls have corrected for a lot of that nuance this time around.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#19 » by Pointgod » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:53 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Trump is still playing a President on TV, except nobody can figure out what TV show he thinks he's on

VEEP?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#20 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:53 pm

Speaking of polling...

Read on Twitter

If Rasmussen, of all polls, have Trump down 12 then he might be down 20.

Return to New York Knicks