ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#881 » by BillTheGOAT » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:50 pm

Nothing is being cancelled.

They’re probably adding an 18th week for postponed games (only 1 game so far, to be played in week 7)
One week between conference championships and the super bowl
Probably cancel the PRO bowl in this case
1st seed will get 3 week bye between week 17/18 to divisional round

If too many games get cancelled they’ll shorten the season to 12 games and teams must play at least all their division opponents, probably flex the schedule.

In the case of the Titans, they likely violated the leagues covid policy, suspension and forfeiting of draft picks might follow..their game against the Bills might get postponed as well. Clearly they did something totally wrong to be in that situation.

But cancel? Not unless there’s a league-wide pandemic which forces the NFL to operate at less than 50% capacity, and that is unlikely unless the owners, teams and players are complete morons.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#882 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:10 pm

There is absolutely going to be a league-wide pandemic. The Patriots had players on Monday who will test positive in the coming days because obviously that's how it works. Just because you tested negative on Monday morning doesn't mean you aren't carrying the virus that you picked up on Friday. Maybe they got it from the Raiders, maybe they just went to a restaurant or whatever, doesn't really matter. If you can't quarantine the entire league, it's just a matter of time. We have a verified positive test from Gilmore. And video evidence of all the people he was in direct, mouth-breathing, sweating distance of for multiple hours. They could all test negative all week and then pop positive on Monday of next week, after playing their next opponent, infecting all those players and the cycle repeats. The odds of this not happening between now and February is like zero pct.

They played against KC, infecting the Chiefs. KC players will test positive after they play their next game and we're off. I don't really care who started it by breaking protocol, it's just an inevitability that when you have zero safety protocols (they don't even test the players on gameday as of now) and a raging pandemic that you will eventually have half the league infected. lmao half the league has fans in the stadiums ffs.

Now do they just say **** it and play through all the infections? Maybe. That's probably their plan. The players are fungible in this sport outside of the QBs. So just hope the QBs are all asymptomatic when they get it and it's probably the best plan financially.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Post#883 » by Parliament10 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:26 pm

NFL blew it.
They should have followed the NBA, and done some type of hybrid Bubble.

All the teams play in the same few areas. Disinfect them after every team moves on.
No fans, needed.

There's too much movement in the NFL, to stop the spread of COVID-19.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
BillTheGOAT
Starter

Post#884 » by BillTheGOAT » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:00 pm

Titans are the only team that is going through a pandemic. 23 positive tests so far according to Schefter on Get Up.
Read on Twitter

On the Titans front...Vrabel just seems suspect to me, trying to run through loop holes and risking not only his team but the rest of the league. I hope they disqualify the Titans for the rest of the 2020 season.

Tennessee Titans players held workout at Nashville school with team facility closed

Vrabel is clearly lying through his teeth to the media, he is obviously trying to stay ahead while their facilities are closed.
Ban him for life if he is responsible and disqualify the Titans for the rest of the year.

As for Cam Newton
Read on Twitter

Wednesday returned negative, if he is negative again today (24 hrs apart) he will be clearad to play on sunday. Gilmore will likely miss though as 5 days after his positive will be on game day.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#885 » by KL78192020 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:11 pm

Hopefully these covid infected players don't have any long term health defects. So many unknowns.
BillTheGOAT
Starter

Post#886 » by BillTheGOAT » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,018

Post#887 » by London2Boston » Fri Oct 9, 2020 4:52 pm

I don’t follow baseball too much so this may be a silly question, but it looks like LA may well win there too. Boston really traded their best player to them for them to possibly win a chip. How come there isn’t a huge meltdown over this?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#888 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:32 pm

Because Betts was a FA and the Red Sox crushed the trade. They traded 60 games of Mookie Betts for Verdugo, Downs and Wong. Even if you know for a fact that you could have signed Betts to the same contract, that's a pretty great haul unless you have an infinite budget. And the further you stray from 'he will re-sign in Boston on his own accord', the better the trade becomes. If you think he 100 pct is going to pursue UFA, would you rather have him for 60 games or would you rather have Verdugo, Downs, Wong for the duration of their contracts (combined 16 more seasons) for peanuts? Verdugo was 43rd in baseball in WAR this year as a 24 year old. Downs is one of the best MI prospects in baseball and could easily step in next year as the everyday 2B. Wong is the best C prospect in the system.

Sucks that Betts is an easy HOFer and they couldn't retain him through his prime, but they got a great return. And there is considerable risk to signing a single player to a 12 year deal. One injury and that's a mess as you can see with Pedroia the last three seasons (and still one season yet).

As for Newton I think the Patriots will be very careful beyond what the NFL bare minimum requires as evidences by their other moves. Requesting extra locker room space in KC (and being denied by the NFL [???]), deciding on keeping everyone out of the facility so far this week (not required by NFL), sending multiple airplanes to KC (not required by NFL). They're smart, they understand the ideal gas law, and they can see what coronavirus is about to do to the league. Belichick can win with Stidham under C against the Broncos. Just run it and don't throw picks and turn it over when you have free three points multiple times. Easy.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#889 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Patriots vs. Broncos is postponed to Week 6

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-schedule-changes-team-by-team-adjustments-after-patriots-vs-broncos-is-postponed-to-week-6/
New England will not play during the NFL's fifth weekend after another another Patriots player has tested positive for COVID-19. The Patriots will now face the Broncos next Sunday, Oct. 18. Game time for Week 5 was initially re-scheduled from Sunday at 4:25 p.m. ET to Monday at 5 p.m. ET.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,220

Post#890 » by K For Three » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:56 am

Football is just flat out weird right now to me lol.

But I do like Cam, hope he is healthy soon.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#891 » by soxfan2003 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:01 am

Parliament10 wrote:NFL blew it.
They should have followed the NBA, and done some type of hybrid Bubble.

All the teams play in the same few areas. Disinfect them after every team moves on.
No fans, needed.

There's too much movement in the NFL, to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Given the roster size and size of support staff and other personnel, bubble is unrealistic for the length of the season.

NFL is some ways is being way too rigorous in cancelling/delaying games when just 1-2 players test positive and in other ways not being rigorous enough.

While I support N95 and high quality surgical masks indoors, I have my doubts that the typical masks as worn by the American people are making that much of a difference. Most people are not wearing N95 masks. It is fair to say a bunch of Americans have been wearing masks since April/May at least but the death rate from covid going down the past few months is probably more about doctors knowing better ways to treat the various groups of patients and perhaps the current strains being a little less virulent. Viruses sometimes become less virulent over time.

The NFL needs policies that rigorously protect people like Trent Brown who weight 380 pounds and not policies that try to go crazy protecting a 22 year old DB/WR that weight 200 lbs. I will go so far as to say offensive lineman/defensive lineman should have their own individual bathrooms and own chartered flights... as for the bathrooms high end individualized portable ones if need be but these are the players that at all cost need to be shielded from Covid.

I would go so far as to change the rules of the game on a temporary basis if need be to lower the already extremely low chances that someone who is really vulnerable gets covid during a game or during an outdoors practice.

If I was 25 and in great shape and a young NFL wide receiver/defensive back/even running back/QB, I'd have very close to zero fear of Covid right now. If I was an offensive lineman weighing 380 lbs, I'd be very afraid of contracting it and even a vaccine wouldn't eliminate all of that fear considering some vaccines may not be harmful but they aren't always effective.

The WHO could be wrong but someone from the WHO said around 10% of the world has gotten this novel coronavirus. If that is true, the death rate is probably below .14% from it and the vast majority are in the high risk groups or at least relatively high risk groups. Now the world death rate is a little misleading figure when applied to the US considering the US has an older and more obese population than most countries. But even though he is not that old, Trent Brown is obese....someone like Brown really needs to have special rules to protect him.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/health/who-coronavirus-world-population-intl/index.html
BillTheGOAT
Starter

Post#892 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:33 pm

NFL could add additional weeks to regular season

NFL could add additional weeks to regular season

Published: Oct 12, 2020
Michael Silver
NFL.com Columnist

According to a source familiar with the NFL's scheduling scenarios, when the league decided Sunday morning not to play Broncos-Patriots on Monday night, it debated an indefinite postponement, which would essentially have put the "Week 18" scenario in play.
Instead, the Broncos-Patriots game was moved to next Sunday -- and a contingency plan involving eight games, eight teams and six switched bye weeks was implemented. However, once a team that's already had its bye can't play in a given week, Week 18 will likely become a reality.
This could happen as soon as Monday morning. If positive tests among the Buffalo Bills and/or Tennessee Titans force Tuesday's game between those teams to be postponed -- and given that the Titans have already had their bye -- the game would be indefinitely postponed (potentially pushed to Week 18).
In a Week 18 scenario, the league would likely only play those games if they had a significant impact on the playoffs. It's possible that if the game was, say, to decide whether a team was the fifth or seventh seed, the NFL would elect not to play it.
That said, Week 18 is likely a reality, and, depending upon future postponements -- and with the possibility that a team could be impacted more than once (after having lost its bye week) -- there could even be a Week 19 added.
So, what would this mean for the postseason? It could be delayed, obviously. The league could save a week by deciding to cancel the Pro Bowl and play the Super Bowl one week after the conference championship games (which has been done before).
As for Super Bowl LV? Well, it'll be much easier to change the date of the game than in other years, when hotels are booked far in advance and legions of fans from outside the area are in play. The Super Bowl could be delayed one, two or three weeks.
Bottom line: Expect at least one week to be added to the regular season, and that alone may not solve the problem. The goal remains for each team to play 16 regular season games -- eight home, eight away -- but that, too, could fall by the wayside as things evolve.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#893 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:19 pm

If Dodgers win the WS finally and Mookie Betts is MVP, would it raise more anger at the Red Sox or would Boston fans be way over it by then?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#894 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 am

wco81 wrote:If Dodgers win the WS finally and Mookie Betts is MVP, would it raise more anger at the Red Sox or would Boston fans be way over it by then?

The majority of Red Sox fans wont forgive ownership for having the highest ticket prices in baseball, the highest near stadium parking and charging 12 buck for a 12 oz bud light and simultaneously refusing to pay the most talented position player they’ve had since Ted Williams.

The fact that the Sox have won 4 championships under their reign and the owners are still despised speaks loudly.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#895 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#896 » by greenroom31 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:32 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Gordon to Dak:

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#897 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:23 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#898 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#899 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:26 pm

wco81 wrote:If Dodgers win the WS finally and Mookie Betts is MVP, would it raise more anger at the Red Sox or would Boston fans be way over it by then?

Red Sox fans cannot be pleased. They could win four titles in fifteen years with the highest cumulative payroll in that span and still be upset.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#900 » by soxfan2003 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:51 am

Honestly, I really don't care that much. I don't dislike the Dodgers like I dislike the Lakers or even Yankees. I wish Betts success but I would have dealt him as well before giving him his current contract which I believe is for 12 years/365 million. Betts is now 28 years old so that contract as far as I am concerned is another crazy baseball contract.

In the postseason for his career, Mookie is batting .248. Granted small sample size and competition is better in post season. Some all time greats have struggled in the post season but he would have needed to hit like David Ortiz in post season for me to even contemplate that crazy contract being worth it.

I like John Henry overall. He has at times had the highest payroll in baseball when he feels the Sox had a good shot even though the Red Sox revenue stream is far below the Yankees and I believe a bit below Dodgers as well. This team needed to be rebuilt and Sox have started doing so. Mookie trade is a part of that.

Dodgers haven't won it all since 88 and since they have been awfully close for a long time and they have a massive revenue stream, they decided to go for it.

I wish Betts nothing but the best but I will root for Tampa Bay over the Dodgers or Braves. I don't blame Betts for wanting a great contract so that he is rewarded for his past production but I think the Sox would be foolish to pay it to him especially when the Sox need to add a lot of talent to the roster to win another WS.

Betts is a great player but he is no Barry Bonds on steroids. Betts is unlikely to be truly great 5-6 years from now.

Sox were not going to be a playoff team with Betts this year. Sox need to be rebuilt. I like how Red Sox ownership tends to do a great job reacting to reality.

I can sympathize with Sox fans who complain about ticket prices and concession prices. But hard for me to bash current ownership group when they have delivered 4 titles and been willing to spend the money when they feel they have a shot. And they have improved Fenway Park as well.

To be honest, I wish John Henry owned the Celtics. Henry seems more focused on winning titles than just being competitive.

Return to Boston Celtics