ImageImageImageImageImage

its time to talk Chris Paul

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,145

Re: its time to talk Chris Paul 

Post#461 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:14 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Does it really surprise anyone that they would pay for him at his temporary peak? Knicks do knicks things

The Knicks trading assets for Chris Paul would probably do it for me, regarding Knick fandom.

I mean, there's a part that is forever on the brink anyway, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

And I've tried to maintain INITIAL enthusiasm for the recent regimes, like Phil, or even Mills, seeing possible scenarios where they could be positive. Obviously with Phil, it was his overall bball acumen and then historical status that might have kept Dolan at bay while he might have made good choices. With Mills, I wasn't happy at all, but figured, well, let's see if MAYBE now that Mills is at the top of the Bball pyramid, he might delegate more and function in a less knee jerk manner, which might -really slim chance, have worked out.

Obviously neither did, but the small silver lining of the Mills era is that the Knicks set the next regime up with things VERY rare for Knicks teams:
All their picks
Cap space
Some extra picks
Some decent youth to develop

It's nothing to write home about, but a DECENT (not great) base to START with.

I'm not even against trading a pick or two in the next 3 years, in the RIGHT kind of trade, as accommodating, what is it, 11 new players - counting 2nd rounders - in 3 years might be a bit much.

But for the right to take on 40 million in salary against the cap for 2 whole years, for an aging PG with an injury history, and for the benefit of that it's going to take several young assets and picks? Yeah, f*ck that.

I'd be out. And not because the players sent out are so awesome. It's about what mortgaging picks and cap space and getting that kind of player, in this timeline, represents. I personally won't spend more time engaging in it as a fan.

Well, no doubt the Knick jones would set in 3 days later. But I'd really consider putting down the Knickerbocker Pipe permanently around this deal.

My Dude, highly doubt anyone here could have put down so eloquently.

My Knicks pipe has been a constant companion since before Bob McAdoo was suppose to be that savior. He went on to the Lakers as a 6th man and won a chip with Jabbar, Magic, RIley and crew.

That's what Paul needs to do, go get that Chip, fk the Knicks.

Bro, I as you will hit rock bottom with this franchise if this once in a life-time position of; multitude of picks, huge cap space and nice foundation of young players gets trashed in one swoop for an aging broken star.

Yeah, the rumor of this deal is so bad, I can only think of 4 possibilities.

#1 - BS twitter clickbait. This is most likely
#2 - Rumor spread by Nets management to make the Knicks look bad
#3 - Rumor spread by Leon Rose/WWW to make the Mad King Dolan happy because "they are pursuing stars!"
#4 - Leon Rose actually sucks and will just be Steroid Infused Steve Mills
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#462 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:56 pm

DJ Augustine is the guy that makes a ton of sense. He has played with Thibs before and can give us some vet PG leadership for a reasonable contract...then get a stretch 4 and use the rest to get some picks, assets. Brock Aller is supposedly a cap genius. There is a lot you can do with cap space and good cap management. CP3's contract cripples that and puts us in a really tough position the next 2 years.

Dragic would be nice, but don't think he would come.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,285

Post#463 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:56 pm

James Dolan didn’t hire Leon Rose to rebuild through the draft.

If the Nets were doing bad, maybe Dolan would have the patience for a proper rebuild. But Dolan is notoriously petty and he needs the Knicks to be competitive to save face (in his own messed up world) after the KD debacle.

He overreacted to Brooklyn trading for Pierce and KG by trading a first round draft pick for Bargnani. Don’t think for one second he’s not pressuring Leon Rose to trade more draft picks for Chris Paul.

Trading draft picks for any veteran player would be an unmitigated disaster. Knowing Dolan and the reasons Leon Rose (an ex-player agent with no experience as an NBA exec) was hired, I can definitely see that happening. I just hope it doesn’t.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#464 » by CharlesOakley » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:03 pm

I'd like to see what we can get for taking on John Wall's contract. How can I start that rumor?
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#465 » by DrCoach » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:16 pm

If we trade for Paul i might stop rooting for the Knicks after 30+ years
Traveyknicks23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,775

Post#466 » by Traveyknicks23 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:20 pm

I mean because of what paul did with the thunder this year the price went up anybody who trades for him is giving up assets we aren’t getting him for peanuts if they are serious about trading for him I mean let’s be real here they most likely are but we aren’t getting him for nothing
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,549

Post#467 » by Gravy » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:48 pm

Thibs got to work with our guys for a couple of weeks. If he thinks they are busts that need to be traded I'll trust it for now like with Kris Dunn.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,004

Post#468 » by Reign23 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:35 pm

some of you are so blindsided because the knicks always **** up trading for older players and going for the "quick fix".
I say this: Trading for Chris Paul is the EXACT OPPOSITE.
why?
-he is the ultimate player to make those around him better
-he helps Mitch, RJ, the guy we draft at 8 and Frank to reach their potential (or up their trade value)
-some might forget that he is the guy who is as respected as anyone around the league not named Lebron. If he talks well about the knicks, that will change the entire picture that everyone has about our franchise and change our culture.
(I'm not even adding that, even at age 36-37 he might be our best PG since... Clyde?)

I would absolutely trade for him IF we don't add #8, any of our future firsts (that includes the mavs picks, too), RJ and Mitch. I would also not include frank, because I'm very high on him.

But Randle, Knox, #27 ? sign me up.

come at me.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Isiahthomass
Bench Warmer
And1: 819

Post#469 » by Isiahthomass » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:33 pm

Bring Amare back too, lets form that Big 3 Lebron was talking about at the wedding!
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#470 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:46 pm

Reign23 wrote:some of you are so blindsided because the knicks always **** up trading for older players and going for the "quick fix".
why?
-he helps Mitch, RJ, the guy we draft at 8 and Frank to reach their potential (or up their trade value)
-some might forget that he is the guy who is as respected as anyone around the league not named Lebron. If he talks well about the knicks, that will change the entire picture that everyone has about our franchise and change our culture.
(I'm not even adding that, even at age 36-37 he might be our best PG since... Clyde?)

I would absolutely trade for him IF we don't add #8, any of our future firsts (that includes the mavs picks, too), RJ and Mitch. I would also not include frank, because I'm very high on him.

come at me.

Randle and Knox OR the #27 is about as far as I would go.

Paul's a great player, but these are his declining years and his an injury risk. Oh, and that trade = about 60 million in salary cap relief, 20 million next season, and 40 million the following season.

Honestly, most trades that appeal to me around the Knicks getting CPaul revolve around them RELIEVING OKC of one of their zillion first round picks, not giving them more.

I said "Randle and Knox OR #27" to acknowledge that maybe some kind of bidding war goes on for CPaul, as of now, it seems like a short list of teams that would want him. No contenders have cap space and only about 4 team, to include the Knicks could fit him on.

I haven't given it that much thought, so I suppose there are trades from a contender (Horford?) or another, and maybe a team with cap space facilitates the trade FOR a contender, but if a team wants to "up the ante" and swoop in for Paul's services, for 40 mill per x2 seasons, they can have at it.

I would actually like to see the Knicks extract some assets from a contender AND OKC, taking on contract bloat to facilitate Paul's move.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#471 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:47 pm

Reign23 wrote:some of you are so blindsided because the knicks always **** up trading for older players and going for the "quick fix".
why?

come at me.

For the 2010 version of Chris Paul sure, for the 2020 version....nope.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#472 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:17 pm

DrCoach wrote:If we trade for Paul i might stop rooting for the Knicks after 30+ years

Reasonable... Knicks trade for All-NBA 2nd teamer for peanuts and loses fans.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#473 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:18 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:DJ Augustine is the guy that makes a ton of sense. He has played with Thibs before and can give us some vet PG leadership for a reasonable contract...then get a stretch 4 and use the rest to get some picks, assets. Brock Aller is supposedly a cap genius. There is a lot you can do with cap space and good cap management. CP3's contract cripples that and puts us in a really tough position the next 2 years.

I guarantee you thsi forum will have the pitchforks out for Augustin by game 10.

We still have a ton of space taking CP on if we dump Randle off on them.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#474 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:18 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:DJ Augustine is the guy that makes a ton of sense. He has played with Thibs before and can give us some vet PG leadership for a reasonable contract...then get a stretch 4 and use the rest to get some picks, assets. Brock Aller is supposedly a cap genius. There is a lot you can do with cap space and good cap management. CP3's contract cripples that and puts us in a really tough position the next 2 years.

I guarantee you thsi forum will have the pitchforks out for Augustin by game 10.

We still have a ton of space taking CP on if we dump Randle off on them.

I am sure the pitchforks will be out no matter what. This team needs a lot of work, and has a long ways to go. At least with Augustine we can move on quickly if it doesn’t work out, and have a ton of room for other moves. If CP3 doesn’t work out then we are stuck with a massive cap crippling contract for 2 years and pitchforks will still be out. Given his age and injury history combined with Thibs and the Knicks history with washed up vets….just don’t get a good feeling about him making it thru the contract while playing at the same level.

CP3 was great in OKC, but that team was also good for the past 10 years. They had a much better roster with an already established culture. What we are asking CP3 to do here is a lot more. No doubt he would help, but I just don’t see it being enough to justify the contract or instantly turning us into a team like OKC....we still need a lot more. It also sounded like OKC would want some picks/young players back and may not want Randle either. There are other paths we can take to get there and develop young players, while not having to pay that cost.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#475 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 7, 2020 9:29 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:If we trade for Paul i might stop rooting for the Knicks after 30+ years

It's not who is, it's what he costs. Sorry.

40 million. Per year. For two years.

And the Knicks have to give up two former 1st round picks AND a 1st rounder?

No thanks.

And no thanks to the meaningless 5 extra wins. Though that's the least of the concerns.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#476 » by DrCoach » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:02 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Chris Paul will be 36 yrs old

We wont win a chip

There are discussing trading picks and young players

He makes 40 mil per yr...40
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#477 » by Worst_to_First » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:15 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:Knox already has that familiarity with SGA and Diallo so I would think that OKC would consider him. Would also be sort of a replacement for Gallo while the Thunder “accelerate the rebuild”.

No problem if OKC wants no part of DSJ. If anyone can resuscitate DSJ’s career it is CP3, whom the young guy considers as the best PG in the NBA even over Steph and Russ.

:lol:
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#478 » by Worst_to_First » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:16 pm

Nah you’ll be stuck here like me.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#479 » by Worst_to_First » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:34 pm

why?

come at me.

I’d love to have CP3 on the Knicks. It is the anti Randle and Payton move wherein you are adding a vet that will develop your young players instead of stagnate them.

There are two arguments I see against adding CP3, the first of which is it messes our cap space for 2021, possibly eliminating any dream of Giannis or Kawhi being a Knick which from where I see is already a long shot to begin with.

The second of which and in my view a stronger one is that it would destroy the 2021 tank wherein there are elite prospects at the top... to a point that securing the worst record in the league and thus a Top 5 pick means getting a guy that could have gone number 1 in a normal draft.

It could come to a point wherein should we start the acceleration of the development of the guys that we have now... RJ, Mitch, Frank, guy we are picking at 8, etc ... or should we wait first to have that stud in the next draft class in place before we add significant but expensive veteran presence. Both arguments on either side I would respect.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#480 » by dakomish23 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:12 am

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks