ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#1401 » by SWedd523 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:46 pm

UNCNYC wrote:I just realized something about Isaiah Joe. His name.

Isaiah - Thomas

Joe - Dumars

lol. How interesting. I wonder if that was done on purpose. Someone said they want him on the Pistons because of his name lol

You think his mom had a three way with them and wasn't sure who the dad was so named him after both?

Yes... I realize Joe is his last name
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#1402 » by UNCNYC » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:07 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:I just realized something about Isaiah Joe. His name.

Isaiah - Thomas

Joe - Dumars

lol. How interesting. I wonder if that was done on purpose. Someone said they want him on the Pistons because of his name lol

You think his mom had a three way with them and wasn't sure who the dad was so named him after both?

Yes... I realize Joe is his last name

Maybe Joe was the alpha male lmao jk. I am sure he has a respectable family as he is himself.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1403 » by UNCNYC » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:51 pm

I think Ty'shon Alexander and Malik Mane are actually more well rounded players but IMO Isaiah Joe has more of the "it" factor which makes me want to draft him more.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1404 » by James Gatz » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:57 pm

Here's an in depth article breaking down Joe. Worth a read.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/38043938
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#1405 » by UNCNYC » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:45 am

James Gatz wrote:Here's an in depth article breaking down Joe. Worth a read.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/38043938

Yap, they mentioned his lack strengh. He has added some weight, and what appears to be a bit of muscle as well. I think he is a player that like McDaniels will need a year or 3 lol to develop but once he does I think he will be worth the pick.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 964

Post#1406 » by wilson115 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:25 am

Was really impressed with Isaiah Joe when he broke out last year. 34.2% on threes still looks promising seeing it's on almost a dozen attempts per game. Still pick Bane over Joe, but have to admit Joe's more likely to be there at #32.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1407 » by fatlever » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:09 pm

My top 5 for us, currently

1 ball
2a wiseman
2b okongwu
4 hayes
5 deni

As for Edwards, it's really hard to find many wing Alpha scorers that can't or won't make plays for others, that have lead to their team's success. While he may put up some nice-looking stats, I doubt it's anything that would translate to real on court success. Are there any really successful All Star level wings that are number one scoring options for their teams but are terrible at creating for others? Carmelo Anthony is the last All-Star level player of this mold that I can remember. Not saying his offensive style is that of Carmelo only that day where Alpha lead scoring options who don't create offense for others.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#1408 » by SWedd523 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:08 pm

I can see Edwards having a Lavine style growth if he's in the right setting. Perhaps a better defender, but worse initiator
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#1409 » by wilson115 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 pm

There's no denying his potential based on physical tools alone. What if Edwards ended up on the Warriors?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1410 » by BigSlam » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:48 pm

wilson115 wrote:There's no denying his potential based on physical tools alone. What if Edwards ended up on the Warriors?

I don’t know man, that statement has that “Noah Vonleh” sound to it.

A kid can pass the eye test but if the other things don’t line up (BBIQ, drive, personality, connectivity with team mates/coaches etc) he might not be worth his weight.

Know what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#1411 » by wilson115 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:54 pm

BigSlam wrote:I don’t know man, that statement has that “Noah Vonleh” sound to it.

A kid can pass the eye test but if the other things don’t line up (BBIQ, drive, personality, connectivity with team mates/coaches etc) he might not be worth his weight.

Know what I mean?

What if it's just environment? I think you said something about something going on in Georgia. Championship-caliber locker room on the other side of the country, isn't that as good as it gets?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#1412 » by BigSlam » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:49 pm

wilson115 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I don’t know man, that statement has that “Noah Vonleh” sound to it.

Know what I mean?

What if it's just environment? I think you said something about something going on in Georgia. Championship-caliber locker room on the other side of the country, isn't that as good as it gets?

Swedd has mentioned the possibility of Edwards having home town distractions, but point taken - environment can play a part in a players success....as can coaching and game plan and fit etc.

But you mentioned his physical tools alone and physical profile as being grounds for his potential. I was just pointing out that lots of people marvelled at the physical profile of players like Vonleh (or Rodney Carney!!) and that ultimately accounted for nothing.

Same can be said the other way though. Dudes like Morrison were said to have BBIQ that was off the charts and being the son of a coach etc would offset his lack of physical profile - and that never came to fruition either.

B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1413 » by LofJ » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Teams can now have in-person workouts with up to 10 players. We should be hearing something soon about potential workouts with Wiseman, Hayes, Ball, Edwards, Okongwu, etc. pretty soon.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#1414 » by Soul Rebel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 pm

BigSlam wrote:
wilson115 wrote:

Know what I mean?

Swedd has mentioned the possibility of Edwards having home town distractions, but point taken - environment can play a part in a players success....as can coaching and game plan and fit etc.

But you mentioned his physical tools alone and physical profile as being grounds for his potential. I was just pointing out that lots of people marvelled at the physical profile of players like Vonleh (or Rodney Carney!!) and that ultimately accounted for nothing.

Same can be said the other way though. Dudes like Morrison were said to have BBIQ that was off the charts and being the son of a coach etc would offset his lack of physical profile - and that never came to fruition either.

Oh man..... I LOVVVVED some Rodney Carney.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#1415 » by Rich4114 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm

BigSlam wrote:
wilson115 wrote:There's no denying his potential based on physical tools alone. What if Edwards ended up on the Warriors?

I don’t know man, that statement has that “Noah Vonleh” sound to it.

Know what I mean?

We are so damaged by our past draft busts lol
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#1416 » by driveandkick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:40 pm

New mock drafts from sports illustrated and the ringer have us getting Melo at 3.

HOWEVER, the sports illustrated one says there could be rumblings that MJ isn’t comfortable with taking Melo. How in the world do you say you have a competition problem yet won’t draft the best playmaker in the draft because of a potential media circus or what the hell ever.

I just have a sinking feeling this ends with us taking Obi Toppin over someone like Ball or Edwards. I literally don’t know how much longer I could do this if we take Obi Toppin at 3
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1417 » by Rays Pompadour » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Okay, reports (not rumors) have Minnesota and Golden State wanting to trade out of #1 and #2. Curiously, there are no reports or rumors of Charlotte wanting to do anything similar. That could be excellent corporate discipline, or it could be that the Hornets value #3 more than we free traders might like or want. I suspect the latter...and here's why:

If the top three draft prospects are all virtually the same, meaning that each have big potential but also big warts, then it becomes an eye-of-the-beholder thing. And, so without a true #1 or #2, #3 becomes a defacto #1 pick. That's not cause to crow in such a mediocre draft, but it does point to how the Hornets might value their pick. For the first time in a long while, Charlotte might be able to get a #1 draft pick at #3. And if teams lower in the draft aren't willing to pay up for #1 or #2, they certainly aren't going to pay #1 pick value for #3.

Therefore, whomever is there at #3, Wiseman, Edwards or Ball, the Hornets will select that player and not trade back. A darkhorse is Deni Avdija, but I think the best shot Charlotte has in hitting a home run at #3 is with those three main guys.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1418 » by DY_nasty » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 pm

Don't think its anything more than us having to value a pick far more than GS and Minnesota. Both of those teams are in win-now mode. GS because they're eager to get back into title chasing and the Wolves because they've got 3 years of KAT and Russell at best before its time for more hard decisions from management.

We have far more time and far less pressure than they do. All we need is one of the better players in a bad draft while they need to acquire something that will put them over the hump quickly.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1419 » by LofJ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:37 pm

https://hoopshype.com/2020/10/14/executives-share-worst-interview-answers-from-nba-draft-prospects/amp/

This is an entertaining read. Off the court stuff is the one area that us fans don't have great intel about, but it can be the difference between getting drafted high in the lottery or not getting drafted at all.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1420 » by Braggins » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 pm

fatlever wrote:As for Edwards, it's really hard to find many wing Alpha scorers that can't or won't make plays for others, that have lead to their team's success. While he may put up some nice-looking stats, I doubt it's anything that would translate to real on court success. Are there any really successful All Star level wings that are number one scoring options for their teams but are terrible at creating for others? Carmelo Anthony is the last All-Star level player of this mold that I can remember. Not saying his offensive style is that of Carmelo only that day where Alpha lead scoring options who don't create offense for others.

I agree with the concern that Edwards seems like a guy that might never actually help your team win, even if he puts up good numbers, and given that concern, it seems like a major red flag to me that he has apparently never finished a season in high school, aau, or college, with his team having a record over .500.

Return to Charlotte Hornets