ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumor: Raptors will make a run at signing Clippers big man Montrezl Harrell this offseason

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Re: Rumor: Raptors will make a run at signing Clippers big man Montrezl Harrell this offseason 

Post#221 » by casual_raps_fan » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:22 am

KawhiSoSerious wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:Question to capalogists:
Is there a realistic way to sign Fred, Ibaka, Harrel AND maintain 2021 max contract cap space?

Of course - one year deals.

Is it that simple?

I'm not sure what Fred and Ibaka's cap hold is but it will definitely take us over the cap. Are you saying that we would be signing Harrel to a 1 year MLE? How big is our MLE?
Nature
Freshman
And1: 210

Re: Rumor: Raptors will make a run at signing Clippers big man Montrezl Harrell this offseason 

Post#222 » by Nature » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:24 am

Having Masai run this team is almost boring... I can't find it in me to second guess his moves. Had way more opinions during the Babcock and Colangelo eras.

Dislike Trez but if Masai/Nurse think this is the right move then I'm on board 110%.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#223 » by casual_raps_fan » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:45 am

Steelo Green wrote:
Is there a realistic way to sign Fred, Ibaka, Harrel AND maintain 2021 max contract cap space?

No.

Ibaka at best stays for a year and then he is renounced and cap hold rescinded.

Fred likely stays and if he’s around 20 mil, makes it just fit for a max spot.

Issue now has to do with the cap going down due to COVID and revenue lost.

Harrell coming here would be a bad indicator for 21 intentions unless we plan on dealing Fred.

How about on a 1 year deal?
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#224 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Oct 8, 2020 8:42 am

Nature wrote:Having Masai run this team is almost boring... I can't find it in me to second guess his moves. Had way more opinions during the Babcock and Colangelo eras.

Dislike Trez but if Masai/Nurse think this is the right move then I'm on board 110%.
bring him home!!!

“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,183

Post#225 » by God Squad » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:28 am

witnessraps wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
RaptorsNorth wrote:BRING HIM HOME!!! what we needed from RHJ! like I’ve said Harrell is a better defender than pascal! If you watched the playoffS and saw all those Demar moments on D from Pascal and still trying to argue this then....

Bring Harrell and Beal home for the chip :nod: :nod:

Man...idk what playoffs you were watching but you sound like a pinhead right now. Pascal was arguably our best defender in the playoffs, especially in that Boston series. He struggled mightily on offence, but locked up both Tatum and Brown.

What were you watching? Overall those 2 dominated us. Maybe he slowed them down in small stretches but that's it.

Yup. Pascal was terrible and looked scared. Very Demar-ish. Lowry and the rest of the Squad kept us in the game and competitive. IMO Lowry earned a lot of respect from GB posters this bubble, Pascal lost a lot.
RapZilla
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#227 » by RapZilla » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:44 pm

I hope we don't sign him. He might raise your floor if you are a bad team but he limits your ceiling if you're trying to improve. Can't defend well enough and can't shoot beyond 6ft from the hoop. Also, it seems Clippers fans are eager to be rid of him.
Credit to Turbo_Zone
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#228 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:31 pm

Harrell does some good things, but signing him basically takes the Raps out of the running in 2021 free agency. That doesnt appear to be the plan.
KawhiSoSerious
Junior
And1: 504

Post#229 » by KawhiSoSerious » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:03 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:
KawhiSoSerious wrote:

Of course - one year deals.

Is it that simple?

I'm not sure what Fred and Ibaka's cap hold is but it will definitely take us over the cap. Are you saying that we would be signing Harrel to a 1 year MLE? How big is our MLE?

Oh no, I don't want to sign him at all. But I trust Masai. Even if it turns out to be a poor signing I believe he will fix it (The turn-around time from fixing the gay, Bargnani and Caroll situations to winning a title were very impressive). Could even be potentially included in a sign and trade for Giannis or Beal or whoever. I don't believe Harrel can be had for the MLE, and I don't know if he would take a 1+1 with team option (with major overpay), but that could work too.
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#230 » by Ganjamayne » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:34 pm

Nature wrote:Having Masai run this team is almost boring... I can't find it in me to second guess his moves. Had way more opinions during the Babcock and Colangelo eras.

This. If Masai told me it would be in my best interests to jump off a bridge, I would do it because I trust him.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,259

Post#231 » by Raptorfan2012 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:58 pm

You only bring in Harrell if he is dirt cheap to replace RHJ (doubt that) or if for some reason we trade Pascal and need a PF to replace him. Harrell is too small to play full time C, and he will be too expensive to be a back up PF.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#232 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:46 pm

Driving up his price for someone else would be good but no way would I want him here.
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#233 » by alan_156 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:15 pm

Ganjamayne wrote:

This. If Masai told me it would be in my best interests to jump off a bridge, I would do it because I trust him.

This.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,024

Post#234 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:41 pm

Masai signing a rim runner seems out of character. Harrell is at best mediocre defensively.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,748

Post#235 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 8, 2020 7:46 pm

I dont like him at all, He is just glorified Randle.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#236 » by Dalek » Thu Oct 8, 2020 9:05 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Masai signing a rim runner seems out of character. Harrell is at best mediocre defensively.

I don't think of Harrell as strictly a rim runner. Watching him evolve since Houston, he is a pretty potent scorer who is almost scoring 20 off-the-bench. It is not just him catching lobs and dunking or running the floor, either.

Using ISO play type he rated 1.04 PPP; just rated below Kawhi Leonard at 1.05 PPP. While he isn't a mid range shooter, he has really worked at his isolation game with a solid rip through move and a reliable flip shot to go with his explosive finishes.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Looking at post-ups he is 0.98 PPP, which is ahead of guys like Nurkic, LaMarcus Aldridge, Anthony Davis, JV, and KAT.

He even has ability to make plays for his teammates. He isn't as good as Bam Adebayo in handling and making plays, but he is a capable passer in short rolls.

On defense, he can certainly switch and has great moments in his career guarding Cs. It is just that people see him playing against Jokic or Anthony Davis which are tough covers for any team.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

He is flawed not grabbing enough defensive boards, and doesn't shoot his freethrows well enough, but I think he has a ton of value and isn't just a one dimensional player.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,870

Post#237 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Oct 8, 2020 9:06 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I dont like him at all, He is just glorified Randle.

Randle and him are polar opposites as players. They're in the same tier though, in terms of player rankings.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,870

Post#238 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Oct 8, 2020 9:08 pm

alan_156 wrote:
Ganjamayne wrote:

This.

This.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,778

Post#239 » by Zeno » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:57 am

If you look at it strictly from an asset perspective maybe Norm for Harrell makes some sense. Norm has a player option for the 2021/22 season which if he performs well he will opt out of into pretty open cap room situation. If he underperforms he will opt in an be difficult to move causing problems for our free agent plans. Basically he won’t be an asset after next season regardless. If you traded Norm for Harrell you could give Harrell a 3 year deal slightly above the MLE and he’d almost certainly be a positive asset in the summer of 2021 if you needed to trade him. Even if for some reason, though unlikely, you needed to eat his deal to sign Giannis, you could stretch it over 5 years since he’d have two years left on it. Another option which is probably even better is overpaying Harrell to near 15 next season(I believe that’s the most he could get in. Norm trade) and then making year 2 of a 3 year deal a team option or guaranteed for a small amount.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#240 » by Westside Gunn » Fri Oct 9, 2020 10:40 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
alan_156 wrote:
Ganjamayne wrote:

This.

This.

I dunno man I love Masai, but DeMarre Carrol
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now

Return to Toronto Raptors