Nuggets - Potential FA Signing

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Nuggets - Potential FA Signing 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:16 pm

For a few years now, our front office has teased us about signing a "big name" free agent and indeed, signing Paul Millsap was a big deal for us. Is it time that they actually pull the trigger again?

Assuming we don't make any big trades and assuming we re-sign Grant (highly probable IMO). Then who/what are we looking for?

We've talked about it elsewhere: backup center, 3&D wing - and that's pretty much our biggest needs.

My #1 target would be Jay Crowder. He's been on a few teams, not because he isn't wanted, but because he isn't a star but he fits nicely on almost any team. He's a defensive SF that can cover most wings and even most bigs for short periods of play. He has a career 3% average of 34% but in Miami he's much higher and with the Nuggets' system, I'd expect his 3% to remain high. He hits open shots and isn't afraid of contact in the paint. Adding 5+ rebounds certainly doesn't hurt either.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets - Potential FA Signing 

Post#2 » by The Rebel » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:59 pm

I am not a fan of adding another combo forward, or spending limited resources on a small forward at all. Crowder is a nice player to have, but we have Grant, KBD, and MPJ who all have the potential to be better than Crowder on both ends.

I don't think we can get him for the MLE, but the guy I would love to sign is Derrick Favors, he is a very good defender, has a nice midrange shot, can play the 4 and 5, and brings toughness we need. I think he is one of only 2 or 3 bigs that get a contract for more than the MLE.

My next choice is Tristan Thompson. 3 years ago he was 1 of the best pick and roll defenders in the league, he also brings physical play and toughness, and he is smart enough to know and stay in his role while playing the 4 or 5.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,787

Post#3 » by TunaFish » Sun Oct 4, 2020 3:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 6:36 pm

The Rebel wrote:I am not a fan of adding another combo forward, or spending limited resources on a small forward at all. Crowder is a nice player to have, but we have Grant, KBD, and MPJ who all have the potential to be better than Crowder on both ends.

I don't think we can get him for the MLE, but the guy I would love to sign is Derrick Favors, he is a very good defender, has a nice midrange shot, can play the 4 and 5, and brings toughness we need. I think he is one of only 2 or 3 bigs that get a contract for more than the MLE.

My next choice is Tristan Thompson. 3 years ago he was 1 of the best pick and roll defenders in the league, he also brings physical play and toughness, and he is smart enough to know and stay in his role while playing the 4 or 5.

I think all 3 would be good choices, TT and Favors would fill a bigger need replacing Plumlee but all bring the toughness this team needs. All 3 also have some versatility but TT and Favors more where we need it. Worth noting, all three would help vs. AD and the Lakers, our biggest immediate roadblock IMO.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#5 » by TunaFish » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:44 pm

Assuming we will be looking for a back up center (ie Plumlee gone), how about Willie Cauley-Stein? He has a player option next season at $2,286,357, so it is likely he will opt out. That means he will be cheap and he has starting experience.

He did opt out of the bubble due to Covid although no one seems to know if he had it someone in his family had it. You won't find a cheaper option without a trade.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:50 pm

TunaFish wrote:Assuming we will be looking for a back up center (ie Plumlee gone), how about Willie Cauley-Stein? He has a player option next season at $2,286,357, so it is likely he will opt out. That means he will be cheap and he has starting experience.

He did opt out of the bubble due to Covid although no one seems to know if he had it someone in his family had it. You won't find a cheaper option without a trade.

MEH - Not a bad choice, but not one I'd get excited about. For the right price? Why not?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:18 pm

TunaFish wrote:Assuming we will be looking for a back up center (ie Plumlee gone), how about Willie Cauley-Stein? He has a player option next season at $2,286,357, so it is likely he will opt out. That means he will be cheap and he has starting experience.

Cauley-Stein has all the tools, but I doubt the front office will even consider him. He has had a questionable work ethic and attitude since college and the way he has was allowed to walk from the Kings despite being their starting Center and restricted and the way the WArriors dumped him for a late 2nd tells me that his attitude still isn't great. That seems like the opposite type of guys our front office has always went for.
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:05 pm

Considering that WCS was picked right ahead of Murray (stupid Kings) should tell you something about how this guy hasn't worked out

TT would be optimum but I'd also take a look at Aron Baynes, a very good defensive C on his own.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:08 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Considering that WCS was picked right ahead of Murray (stupid Kings) should tell you something about how this guy hasn't worked out

TT would be optimum but I'd also take a look at Aron Baynes, a very good defensive C on his own.

I forgot Baynes was a free agent. After thinking about things, I think he would actually be my 2nd choice after Favors. While I like Thompson, Baynes brings in the toughness and is a good enough passer to replace Plumlee, and he is likely going for the tax MLE type of deal which would still give us $3 million of the room MLE to sign a SG/SF to replace Craig.

The more I look at things the more I realize that once we sign Grant at forward we should have
MPJ/ Barton/ KBD
Grant/ Bol/ Cancar

With our history of drafting/developing young guys, and a full season to get guys up to speed than I would prefer the minutes at backup SF and backup PF go to the young guys to see what we have. Baynes can easily fill what we need for 18 mpg at backup Center whereas Thompson maybe the same price but he is likely going to want more minutes. If Bol/Cancar/ KBD cannot provide meaningful minutes at backup PF than we can trade for one at the deadline, you can usually pick 1 up for a pick or minor prospect.
skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:48 pm

I would love to try and see what KBD can develop into, he was a star at Ohio St, a leader on that team. He was also their two-way player so love to see if we could harness that here. As much as that tweet on Cancar was exciting, I don't have as much faith there but I honestly don't know that much about him to determine what we have in him. Bol, to me anyway, is oozing with potential, I can see a spot-duty starter in him but more so as a game-changing player on the 2nd unit.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#11 » by THE J0KER » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:50 pm

Here is a list of 2020 free agents ranked on their 2019-20 salary:

skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:26 pm

Some interesting names there, at F I could see taking a look at Giles, Bagley III, Gabriel, Wood (although I think DET resigns him) even Hernangomez as young guys with potential as our backup C or 4th/5th big. At G/Wing I'd check out Diallo, Frazier, Sterling Brown, Mykhailiuk.

All young guys who don't look like bank-rollers but with a change of scenery could turn into something.

psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#13 » by psimanic1 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 8:33 pm

Why dont you guys want Cancar as our backup?

Read on Twitter
?s=19
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 8:47 pm

psimanic1 wrote:Why dont you guys want Cancar as our backup?

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Don't think anyone has said we don't want Vlatko as our backup but he still has to prove 1) He's healthy again, missed all of the bubble with a foot injury and 2) that he can produce at this level. He did well in the G-league but he's still a very unknown commodity in the NBA

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 9, 2020 12:19 am

psimanic1 wrote:Why dont you guys want Cancar as our backup?

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I would love it of Cancar, Bol, or KBD earned the backup forward minutes but I dont think it should be handed to them.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 9, 2020 12:30 am

Like others, I wouldn't mind Cancar as a backup PF. I think his style of play on both ends would work well with Jokic. Like others, I don't believe he has earned - at least not yet, but I wouldn't mind him at all.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,150

Post#17 » by stoo » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:27 am

THE J0KER wrote:Here is a list of 2020 free agents ranked on their 2019-20 salary:

Spoiler:

This is a solid FA class. I assume we sign PJ and Grant. If we don't trade (Barton) for a big man who can play next to Jokic and as a back up, we might actually have one the next several players soon, if we're to do a good job in fa

Ibaka, Tristan, Favors, Bagley, Wood, Boucher, Giles, Harrell, Baynes (Joker and Bane), Plumlee

If we believe that Bol will fill in that function as soon as next year, we might just sign a cheap back up C. Biyombo, Len, WCS, Noel, Okafor... i don't know all their situations detailed
NotSinceWilt
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#18 » by TunaFish » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:47 pm

stoo wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Here is a list of 2020 free agents ranked on their 2019-20 salary:

Spoiler:

This is a solid FA class. I assume we sign PJ and Grant. If we don't trade (Barton) for a big man who can play next to Jokic and as a back up, we might actually have one the next several players soon, if we're to do a good job in fa

Ibaka, Tristan, Favors, Bagley, Wood, Boucher, Giles, Harrell, Baynes (Joker and Bane), Plumlee

If we believe that Bol will fill in that function as soon as next year, we might just sign a cheap back up C. Biyombo, Len, WCS, Noel, Okafor... i don't know all their situations detailed

Someone correct me but I think P.J. Dozier has recently signed a 3 year contract. Signing Grant is a the key.

I completely agree with you that free agency is good place to pick up a backup center without having to trade an asset. Salary is going to be a key and there are some veterans with experience that might want the job given that Denver is a contender.
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#19 » by TunaFish » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:53 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Like others, I wouldn't mind Cancar as a backup PF. I think his style of play on both ends would work well with Jokic. Like others, I don't believe he has earned - at least not yet, but I wouldn't mind him at all.

After watching him in summer league (a lifetime ago), I thought he was a little too slow. Decent shot though and good bbiq. He played small forward in Europe but he has gotten so much bigger (which might explain his slowness). To me he is more of a power forward.

I think they are gong to let Plumlee walk and they will need a replacement there. I just can't see Cancar replacing Plumlee.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 pm

TunaFish wrote:Someone correct me but I think P.J. Dozier has recently signed a 3 year contract.

I don't think he's signed - yet. But I do expect him to sign with Denver. I'm not sure what sort of rights Denver holds regarding matching and so forth.

Return to Denver Nuggets