Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2021 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:04 am

^
I hope you're right. It certainly would be cost- effective to stand pat and add fringe pieces.

Let's take the 1st and 2nd time picks out of the equation. It's exceedingly rare that a rookie locks down a rotation role on a championship team, especially a defensive role.

We're set at the 1 with Dinwiddie and Ky. Joe and Garrett will be our rotation 2's, unless you propose we opt out of team option on Temple. He's not a stopper, but it'll be difficult to find a better defender for less than the MLE this offseason. Prince and Levert will be our 3's, and they are only average. Durant should be slightly above average but Rodi was a mess on D. If there's one place I want to upgrade it's here. It would also be nice if the player set sign could play with KD, as an emergency 3. Then you have Jarrett and DeAndre, who are good but limited defensively. Allen can slide his feet and switch screens, so you can get away with shaky defenders around him. Jordan is a tree-trunk big, who really needs at lost 2 other solid defenders around him in order to shine.

So, who do you propose we sign as a free agent that improves our D?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#2022 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:04 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:^
I hope you're right. It certainly would be cost- effective to stand pat and add fringe pieces.

Let's take the 1st and 2nd time picks out of the equation. It's exceedingly rare that a rookie locks down a rotation role on a championship team, especially a defensive role.

We're set at the 1 with Dinwiddie and Ky. Joe and Garrett will be our rotation 2's, unless you propose we opt out of team option on Temple. He's not a stopper, but it'll be difficult to find a better defender for less than the MLE this offseason. Prince and Levert will be our 3's, and they are only average. Durant should be slightly above average but Rodi was a mess on D. If there's one place I want to upgrade it's here. It would also be nice if the player set sign could play with KD, as an emergency 3. Then you have Jarrett and DeAndre, who are good but limited defensively. Allen can slide his feet and switch screens, so you can get away with shaky defenders around him. Jordan is a tree-trunk big, who really needs at lost 2 other solid defenders around him in order to shine.

Levert cant play the 3. he has shown he cant guard it and offensively he is really bad without the ball. He needs to be a PG or maybe second guard.

Kyrie | Harris | Temple | KD | Jordan/Fro makes the most sense to start

Dinwddiie | Levert | Prince | Musa | Jordan/Fro on second unit.

put shooters and a lob threat with our stars. dont minimize Dinwiddie/LEvert by putting them next to high volume guys. maybe to close a game but not big mintues.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 403

Post#2023 » by drchaos » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I'm getting more convinced that IF KD 100% buys in on defense, we can get by defensively if we add like 2 Harkless level players. Guys that can hang with Tatum, Jimmy, Simmons, LBJ, Giannis. If you throw Harkless (or a similar Crowder type player) on those stars - with KD + Jarrett Allen protecting the rim, that's A LOT of length and BBIQ that guys need to get through to score. KD is a guy that has really caused havoc defensively in the past at the rim + the perimeter.

It's nice to have elite defenders at guard but I don't think it's that important compared to physical forwards + rim protection. Miami is getting it done with Dragic, Herro, Robinson playing major minutes. Those guys just play hard and the entire team executes the game plan to cover for them. Kyrie, Harris, LeVert, Dinwiddie are competitive enough to be on that level.

The problem comes if KD isn't at 90% of where he was defensively. Or if Kyrie + KD + DJ don't buy in on defense. If they don't, then yes - we need to overhaul the squad and surround them with some really good defenders. Kyrie last year was competitive and physical but I don't think he bought in to the system defensively at all. DJ's effort level was really up and down but when it was up, he's damn good defensively.

I think that defense can be addressed with the MLE, #19 and vet mins.

It would be a windfall for us if Rodi took a huge step forward next year.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2024 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:04 pm

drchaos wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I'm getting more convinced that IF KD 100% buys in on defense, we can get by defensively if we add like 2 Harkless level players. Guys that can hang with Tatum, Jimmy, Simmons, LBJ, Giannis. If you throw Harkless (or a similar Crowder type player) on those stars - with KD + Jarrett Allen protecting the rim, that's A LOT of length and BBIQ that guys need to get through to score. KD is a guy that has really caused havoc defensively in the past at the rim + the perimeter.

It's nice to have elite defenders at guard but I don't think it's that important compared to physical forwards + rim protection. Miami is getting it done with Dragic, Herro, Robinson playing major minutes. Those guys just play hard and the entire team executes the game plan to cover for them. Kyrie, Harris, LeVert, Dinwiddie are competitive enough to be on that level.

The problem comes if KD isn't at 90% of where he was defensively. Or if Kyrie + KD + DJ don't buy in on defense. If they don't, then yes - we need to overhaul the squad and surround them with some really good defenders. Kyrie last year was competitive and physical but I don't think he bought in to the system defensively at all. DJ's effort level was really up and down but when it was up, he's damn good defensively.

I think that defense can be addressed with the MLE, #19 and vet mins.

It would be a windfall for us if Rodi took a huge step forward next year.

I think we will see alot more rodi at the 5 like we did in the bubble. with KD we can play him at the 5 and teams cant really go too big on us
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#2025 » by kamaze » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:15 pm

Rodi played center bc they didn't have anyone else who would want to gamble with him at center over a legit center with more size?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#2026 » by MGrand15 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:35 pm

I really like Rodi and think his style of play is perfect for what we need but I think we're moving on from him and Musa. They're both really young so I think they have a chance in this league but man, we badly needed both of them this year and the coaching staff showed they don't trust them. Musa couldn't really get minutes in the bubble when we only had 4-5 NBA players. We didn't have a PF on the roster and Rodi still struggled to get over 24 minutes.

Here's a list of some low cost FAs that might be options:
Paul Millsap
Kent Bazemore
Marcus Morris
Solomon Hill
Mo Harkless
MKG

Harkless and Bazemore might be undervalued guys that I think could be good roleplayers. Marks is gonna have to work some magic to get us some better wing options. The minimum vet options are slimmer than usual.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#2027 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 8:33 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I really like Rodi and think his style of play is perfect for what we need but I think we're moving on from him and Musa. They're both really young so I think they have a chance in this league but man, we badly needed both of them this year and the coaching staff showed they don't trust them. Musa couldn't really get minutes in the bubble when we only had 4-5 NBA players. We didn't have a PF on the roster and Rodi still struggled to get over 24 minutes.

Paul Millsap
Kent Bazemore
Marcus Morris
Solomon Hill
Mo Harkless
MKG

Harkless and Bazemore might be undervalued guys that I think could be good roleplayers. Marks is gonna have to work some magic to get us some better wing options. The minimum vet options are slimmer than usual.

I am PRAYING that we can pry Millsap away from DEN. They have the capspace to re-sign him at a nice number if they wish, but do they have a role for him? Barton and will be healthy again, so Porter won't need to moonlight at SF. They definitely want to re-sign Grant and Craig, so my hope is that Paul sees that he's the odd man out, and chooses a steadier role elsewhere. At 33, he still plays very solid defense, and is way better at passing, 3PT shooting and guarding on the perimeter than you would expect for a traditional 4.

I would be 'meh' if we used the MLE on Harkless, but I'd be OK with it. He's more versatile defensively than he is good. So he can patch holes and matchups, but he's no stopper. Basically, he's the lovechild of Temple and Prince.

I would pass on the rest, even for a min. Everyone loves MKG and the Kyrie connection. Normally I'm all-in for that homecoming/reunion storyline, but Michael has not been any good in the league the last 2 seasons. Bazemore and Hill used to be defenders, I don't see much left in the tank. Marcus is out of our price range like Jerami, and though he's an enforcer, he's not a defender.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#2028 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Levert cant play the 3. he has shown he cant guard it and offensively he is really bad without the ball. He needs to be a PG or maybe second guard.

put shooters and a lob threat with our stars. dont minimize Dinwiddie/LEvert by putting them next to high volume guys. maybe to close a game but not big mintues.

Levert can't guard the 3 but Temple can :lol:

Temple was absolutely terrible last year. I don't even think he should play next year let alone start. Awful scorer and not good defensively.

What does he bring?

I'd much rather just start Prince at the 4 and put KD at the 3.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#2029 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:32 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I really like Rodi and think his style of play is perfect for what we need but I think we're moving on from him and Musa. They're both really young so I think they have a chance in this league but man, we badly needed both of them this year and the coaching staff showed they don't trust them. Musa couldn't really get minutes in the bubble when we only had 4-5 NBA players. We didn't have a PF on the roster and Rodi still struggled to get over 24 minutes.

Paul Millsap
Kent Bazemore
Marcus Morris
Solomon Hill
Mo Harkless
MKG

Milsap is the only guy I would be interested in. I would probably consider starting him too.

I don't want any of the others. I don't know why people are so high on Harkless either. He seems pretty washed to me.

I'd rather just take a chance on Roberson.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#2030 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:35 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

Paul Millsap
Kent Bazemore
Marcus Morris
Solomon Hill
Mo Harkless
MKG

I am PRAYING that we can pry Millsap away from DEN. They have the capspace to re-sign him at a nice number if they wish, but do they have a role for him? Barton and will be healthy again, so Porter won't need to moonlight at SF. They definitely want to re-sign Grant and Craig, so my hope is that Paul sees that he's the odd man out, and chooses a steadier role elsewhere. At 33, he still plays very solid defense, and is way better at passing, 3PT shooting and guarding on the perimeter than you would expect for a traditional 4.

I would be 'meh' if we used the MLE on Harkless, but I'd be OK with it. He's more versatile defensively than he is good. So he can patch holes and matchups, but he's no stopper. Basically, he's the lovechild of Temple and Prince.

I would pass on the rest, even for a min. Everyone loves MKG and the Kyrie connection. Normally I'm all-in for that homecoming/reunion storyline, but Michael has not been any good in the league the last 2 seasons. Bazemore and Hill used to be defenders, I don't see much left in the tank. Marcus is out of our price range like Jerami, and though he's an enforcer, he's not a defender.

We really have to geT KD-Kyrie to convince Milsap to try to compete for a Championship with us.

He would fit perfectly on this team. The missing piece we need.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#2031 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Paul Millsap
Kent Bazemore
Marcus Morris
Solomon Hill
Mo Harkless
MKG

We really have to geT KD-Kyrie to convince Milsap to try to compete for a Championship with us.

He would fit perfectly on this team. The missing piece we need.

He's a good low-maintenance big, but I'm not sure he's the right fit. I think we'll look for hyperatheletic players.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2032 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:22 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Levert can't guard the 3 but Temple can :lol:

Temple was absolutely terrible last year. I don't even think he should play next year let alone start. Awful scorer and not good defensively.

What does he bring?

I'd much rather just start Prince at the 4 and put KD at the 3.

Temple was our best wing defender last year. and he isnt on the floor to score. much better fit next to kyrie and kd. prince really struggled defensively
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#2033 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:25 pm

Prokorov wrote:Kyrie | Harris | Temple | KD | Jordan/Fro makes the most sense to start

werent you a musas hater

what happened
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2034 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:28 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Kyrie | Harris | Temple | KD | Jordan/Fro makes the most sense to start

werent you a musas hater

what happened

I meant kurucs not musa.

I dont hate musa. you cant expect a guy picked that late to contribute a ton. its not like he was a lotto pick. he hasnt played well. thats not unexpected its hit or miss with picks that late
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#2035 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:34 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:

werent you a musas hater

what happened

I meant kurucs not musa.

I dont hate musa. you cant expect a guy picked that late to contribute a ton. its not like he was a lotto pick. he hasnt played well. thats not unexpected its hit or miss with picks that late

i didnt meant you hate him as a person, but rather as a bball player

for what its worth, musa gave an interview couple of days ago and said that brooklyn planned not to play him in his rookie season, but instead send him to the g league, then give him some playing time in his second season and then let him breakout in his third
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,865

Post#2036 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 8, 2020 7:57 pm

I like both Rodi and Musa but one of them has to really turn a corner. Rodi had his moments in the bubble, Musa was still a bit up and down. I think he needs to become a better shooter to stick around in the NBA because his off the dribble game isn't good enough.

Rodi just needs to be consistent imo, that's his biggest problem.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 403

Post#2037 » by drchaos » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:13 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:

werent you a musas hater

what happened

I meant kurucs not musa.

I think that depth chart makes a lot of sense.

However I would consider swapping Prince and Temple as Prince is a better shooter.

If Kyrie and KD are doing most of the ball handling, having Harris and Prince available for them so dish the ball to would be nice.

I do agree that it is hard to decide between Jordan and Fro on the starting unit.

Either one would do a decent job there.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#2038 » by kamaze » Fri Oct 9, 2020 5:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:

I like Joe but he's too slow to defend guards, they didn't play him there for a reason. He and Levert are better on offense but Temple is the best defender of the three and that's what the starting lineup needs.

Kyrie/Temple/Harris/KD/Jordan I like Big Jay more than Jordan but it really doesn't matter who starts the game it's who plays at the end of the game.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,865

Post#2039 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:17 am

I actually wouldn't mind if we go with Irving/Temple/Harris/KD/DJ or Allen. Temple was asked to do too much and people seem to forget that roleplayers only excel when they are playing off of star players. Same with Prince. If Temple's only job is to defend and space the floor he will be fine.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#2040 » by ProspectPark » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:49 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I actually wouldn't mind if we go with Irving/Temple/Harris/KD/DJ or Allen. Temple was asked to do too much and people seem to forget that roleplayers only excel when they are playing off of star players. Same with Prince. If Temple's only job is to defend and space the floor he will be fine.

Kyrie is really good off ball.

Catch and Shoot 3’s

2017 47% on 2.4 attempts
2018 40% on 3 attempts
2019 45.4% on 3.3 attempts
2020 46% on 2 attempts

Din and Vert are much better at finding open teammates than Temple. Temple can’t take advantage of 4 on 3’s when one of our stars are being doubled.

Plus, Kyrie just had shoulder surgery. Starting Temple means Kyrie has to bring the ball up every time which is just putting more wear and tear on his shoulders.

Return to Brooklyn Nets