Re: Prospect Thread: LaMelo Ball 

Post#161 » by wilson115 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:17 am

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#162 » by 316Hornets » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:36 am

Global superstar

Lamelo Ball is the type of guy that could transform the Charlotte Hornets forever. Jeremy Lin x10. Look at the coverage Luka gets all the time. Lamelo will be making highlight passes all the time, especially if we can surround him with some talent.

Whether he's the top rated prospect in the draft skill wise is up for debate, but there's no debate in who brings the most marketing opportunities for the team. Even if he flames out as bad as MKG, at least we'll get the spotlight for awhile. I'd rather build fan support after losing a hero in Kemba than worry about adding a couple wins.

Just in case you don't know, Lamelo Ball has 5.6 million instagram followers. For comparison, Giannis has 8.4 million.

Because of this, I expect him to go #1. If not #1 then it will be up to the Warriors whether they want to take a big offer from another small market. If by some crazy stroke of luck he's there at #3, we have got to take him.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#163 » by James Gatz » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:00 am

I have Ball as my top guy but we shouldn't be taking any player on the basis that it'll be good for a billionaires pocketbook.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#164 » by 316Hornets » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:49 am

James Gatz wrote:I have Ball as my top guy but we shouldn't be taking any player on the basis that it'll be good for a billionaires pocketbook.

That's not what I'm suggesting. Getting players to come play for Charlotte is tough because we are buried in getting the spotlight. Lamelo could open up opportunities for other players getting recognition as well. His best skill is his passing ability so any highlights will likely feature big dunks by guys like Miles Bridges. If he turns out to be Zion level hype, then other guys will want to play here.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#165 » by BigSlam » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:13 am

Want to know what brings more coverage than instagram followers?

Winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#166 » by yosemiteben » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 pm

316Hornets wrote:If he turns out to be Zion level hype, then other guys will want to play here.

The better shooting clone of him is already in the league, and he doesn't move the needle like that.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,528

Post#167 » by HornetJail » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Nobody who isn't already going to games, is saying "Hey Charlotte drafted LaMelo Ball, let's get season tickets". They might go see a couple games, watch Ball shoot 3-10 off the bench, and then not go again the rest of the season though.

It's been three years since Lonzo Ball was drafted. The hype died the second people realized he sucks ass. Nobody is going to a Pelicans game to watch Lonzo Ball. Nobody even talks about the Pelicans outside of Zion and Ingram. Turns out the Lonzo hype was manufactured because his dad has a gigantic mouth and ESPN decided that people should care.

If his name was LaMelo Johnson he would be like the 15th pick this year.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#168 » by SWedd523 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:46 pm

LaMelo Johnson

lol

penis
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#169 » by DY_nasty » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:57 pm

big breakfast brand
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#170 » by 316Hornets » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:59 pm

BigSlam wrote:Want to know what brings more coverage than instagram followers?

Winning.

All I'm saying is you can take some guy who is a better fit that might give us 5 extra wins next year. That isn't moving the needle in fan support. I want the guy with the hype, the guy NBA has to take notice of because he represents a big demographic they are trying to reach in an effort to gain a bigger audience.

The hype died with Lonzo because he doesn't score. You can't convince people to watch basketball in order to see Lonzo play defense.

Lamelo has to be a scorer and he has to increase his 3 point percentage. I want this guy to be a 20/10 guy 2nd year. And you better believe it's possible. He's going to come into the league a lot more experienced and mature than some college guy who partied 6 days a week.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by 316Hornets » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Nobody who isn't already going to games, is saying "Hey Charlotte drafted LaMelo Ball, let's get season tickets". They might go see a couple games, watch Ball shoot 3-10 off the bench, and then not go again the rest of the season though.

It's been three years since Lonzo Ball was drafted. The hype died the second people realized he sucks ass. Nobody is going to a Pelicans game to watch Lonzo Ball. Nobody even talks about the Pelicans outside of Zion and Ingram. Turns out the Lonzo hype was manufactured because his dad has a gigantic mouth and ESPN decided that people should care.

If his name was LaMelo Johnson he would be like the 15th pick this year.

Lonzo may not be the guy he was hyped to be, but I'd bet if he doesn't face any major injuries, he's still going to be a 20+ min guy for the next 10 years. Obviously you want a star from your top draft picks, but there's a big difference between bust and Lonzo Ball.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#172 » by yosemiteben » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:47 pm

316Hornets wrote:The hype died with Lonzo because he doesn't score. You can't convince people to watch basketball in order to see Lonzo play defense.

Lamelo has to be a scorer and he has to increase his 3 point percentage. I want this guy to be a 20/10 guy 2nd year. And you better believe it's possible. He's going to come into the league a lot more experienced and mature than some college guy who partied 6 days a week.

Lonzo projected to be a far superior shooter and isn't having close to the impact you're wanting. If you're drafting Lonzo hoping he'll be a 20 ppg scorer his second year, you're setting yourself up for failure.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 963

Post#173 » by wilson115 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:07 am

Reposting here. Not sure I agree, but I have a lot of respect for Pearlman's scouting.

"Do you still have Lamelo #1 on your board?"
Pearlman: "Yeah, I still do."

Pearlman: If Lamelo's a 100, Hayes is a 94. Lamelo slightly above because of Killian's non-existent right hand.

https://player.fm/series/game-theory-podcast-1336086/lakers-take-3-1-lead-why-lamelo-at-no-1-nba-draft-wings-deep-dive-with-spencer-pearlman
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Prospect Thread: LaMelo Ball 

Post#174 » by BigSlam » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:08 am

316Hornets wrote:I want the guy with the hype, the guy NBA has to take notice of because he represents a big demographic they are trying to reach in an effort to gain a bigger audience.

Guys like Morrison? Mayo? Barnes? Bargnani? Williams?

The list goes on and on with “hype” guys coming into the league who didn’t do squat when they got there.

If you want to prioritize prospect having a gimmick as to why you want us to draft them - go for it.

I’d just personally prefer things like characteristics and skills in the prospects I like.

B B M F 'ers
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#175 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:30 am

Let me flip this. Remember Lin. How close to that kind of impact would LaMelo have in terms of team following?

If that translates into more people in seats eventually will that help the team win?
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by 316Hornets » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 am

yosemiteben wrote:
316Hornets wrote:The hype died with Lonzo because he doesn't score. You can't convince people to watch basketball in order to see Lonzo play defense.

Lonzo projected to be a far superior shooter and isn't having close to the impact you're wanting. If you're drafting Lonzo hoping he'll be a 20 ppg scorer his second year, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Disagree. Lamelo has shown a much better prowess of raining buckets, his 92 point game in high school shows that.

James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#177 » by James Gatz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:05 am

I don't think him scoring 92 in high school really matters at all.

He will be a better scorer than Lonzo but that is largely due to his handle and fluid hips. Lonzo doesn't have the shake off the dribble to create for himself. Lamelo does. Lonzo showed to be a better shooter prior the NBA which should be noted. I don't see Lamelo putting up 20 ppg in his first few seasons but he has the potential to do it in his career certainly.

Lin is a good example of how someone with a huge fan base matters in some ways but doesn't really impact winning. Lin helped us win as a player but he's celebrity didn't provide anything. Although the Lin days on this board are funny to look back at.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#178 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:49 am

Lamelo cherry picked that HS game and played zero defense. I also hate the narrative of people wanting to draft a player because it'll bring "hype" or "attention". Want to know what brings those things? Winning.

That being said I wouldn't mind it if we draft the kid, but I just hate some of the reasons listed as to why some want him.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#179 » by yosemiteben » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:23 am

Lonzo shot 41% from 3 on high volume in college. LaMello shot 25% from three last season.

Just look at his shooting mechanics, they are all jacked up.

You can't be serious with this take.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#180 » by Snidely FC » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 pm

somebody explain to me taking a guy who can't play off the ball or defend when Devontae Graham is currently your lead guard

Return to Charlotte Hornets