ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumor: Raptors will make a run at signing Clippers big man Montrezl Harrell this offseason

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Re: Rumor: Raptors will make a run at signing Clippers big man Montrezl Harrell this offseason 

Post#241 » by casual_raps_fan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 am

KawhiSoSerious wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
KawhiSoSerious wrote:
Of course - one year deals.

Is it that simple?

I'm not sure what Fred and Ibaka's cap hold is but it will definitely take us over the cap. Are you saying that we would be signing Harrel to a 1 year MLE? How big is our MLE?

Oh no, I don't want to sign him at all. But I trust Masai. Even if it turns out to be a poor signing I believe he will fix it (The turn-around time from fixing the gay, Bargnani and Caroll situations to winning a title were very impressive). Could even be potentially included in a sign and trade for Giannis or Beal or whoever. I don't believe Harrel can be had for the MLE, and I don't know if he would take a 1+1 with team option (with major overpay), but that could work too.

Just to be clear, I’m not interested in him either. Lol. He’s not an upgrade over Ibaka.

I was just wondering if it was realistically possible to sign Fred, Ibaka, Harrrel and maintain max cap space.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Re: Rumor: Raptors will make a run at signing Clippers big man Montrezl Harrell this offseason 

Post#242 » by Chandan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
alan_156 wrote:
This.

This.

I dunno man I love Masai, but DeMarre Carrol

shhhh let them have their cult.
TackyRapsFan
Veteran
And1: 2,374

Post#243 » by TackyRapsFan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:16 pm

What does he add that we need?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#244 » by RaptorsNorth » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:45 pm

TackyRapsFan wrote:What does he add that we need?

what they wanted from RHJ. It’s basically bringing in a better version of that type of player.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Kris_Banks
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#245 » by Kris_Banks » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:08 am

I could see the Raptors giving him an offer if Gasol goes to europe. He's a very talented player just coming off of a sixth man of the year award. He played 100% of his minutes at C this season per https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harremo01.html and would be great backing up Ibaka. I can't see the Clippers letting him go and even if they do he'll command more then the MLE, it's a long shot but maybe he picks Toronto becaue we're a winner. He'd be my first choice and I'd be willing to trade for him, if not maybe we can sign someone like Aron Baynes.
We should be against the genocide of any people in North America.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#246 » by Dalek » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:06 pm

First of all, he will be cheaper than Ibaka and more effective than Gasol. Ibaka played himself into $20+ contract considering his ability to be a stretch C with some decent post defense and switchability. Gasol is on an obvious decline and the platoon situation he was in resulted in one of the worst scoring numbers of any C playing 25 minutes or more. The core of Toronto is in their early to mid twenties and he fits their timeline.

-Toronto lacks a finisher and Harrell is one of the most efficient scorers in pick and roll and post-up situations

-Weakside shot-blocking, and is switch big

-He fits the timeline with Siakam, Powell, OG and FVV and is the type of high energy player that Toronto invests in.

On defence he does get flamed for his defense against trad bigs, but he does have great moments. Here are what others did against him last year:

https://stats.nba.com/player/1626149/head-to-head/?sort=SECONDS&dir=1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=MATCHUP*E*

Overall, some flaws mixed in with some really good. He is still improving and I think will eventually expand his game a bit more as he has improved each year in the NBA.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#247 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45 pm

There is something in getting a player who obviously wants to be here.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
iBall101
Pro Prospect
And1: 271

Post#248 » by iBall101 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am

He wouldn't be an ideal fit. He's undersized at the 5, can't hit the three, not a great ft shooter, and can potentially ruin team chemistry. I would love for Raps to go all in for KAT. KAT can do everything Trezz can't.
:nod: Masai’s Raptors :nod:

PG: I. Quickley/ T. Horton-Tucker/ J. Freeman
SG: G. Trent Jr./ G. Dick/ B. Brown
SF: R. Barrett/ O. Agbaji / G. Temple
PF: S. Barnes/ T. Lyles/ J. Crowder
C: J. Poeltl/ K. Olynk/ J. Porter
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#249 » by Chandan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:01 am

iBall101 wrote:He wouldn't be an ideal fit. He's undersized at the 5, can't hit the three, not a great ft shooter, and can potentially ruin team chemistry. I would love for Raps to go all in for KAT. KAT can do everything Trezz can't.

Kat is more valuable than Pascal bro.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#250 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 am

Dalek wrote:

First of all, he will be cheaper than Ibaka and more effective than Gasol. Ibaka played himself into $20+ contract considering his ability to be a stretch C with some decent post defense and switchability. Gasol is on an obvious decline and the platoon situation he was in resulted in one of the worst scoring numbers of any C playing 25 minutes or more. The core of Toronto is in their early to mid twenties and he fits their timeline.

-Toronto lacks a finisher and Harrell is one of the most efficient scorers in pick and roll and post-up situations

-He fits the timeline with Siakam, Powell, OG and FVV and is the type of high energy player that Toronto invests in.

On defence he does get flamed for his defense against trad bigs, but he does have great moments. Here are what others did against him last year:

https://stats.nba.com/player/1626149/head-to-head/?sort=SECONDS&dir=1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=MATCHUP*E*

Overall, some flaws mixed in with some really good. He is still improving and I think will eventually expand his game a bit more as he has improved each year in the NBA.

My guess is they have liked him ever since he worked out for us in his draft year.. This rumour created by who knows may indicate we are likely to lose both Serge and Gasol and we pay up on Fred the value where he stays a Raptor long term. When they signed Fred to 9 mil. management was beyond happy to see Fred make that milestone. I expect them to rebuild the centre position completely along the lines of the ages lining up with this core.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#251 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 am

The only thing I like about this rumor is driving up the price on the Clippers so they lose depth and continue a downward spiral.

I initially wasn't bothered but just the overall arrogance that just stunk all over the franchise/their players, can't help but take some satisfaction from the seeming implosion that seems to be quickly building up as Balmer panics and fumbles around to find a solution.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#252 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:18 am

PhilBlackson wrote:The only thing I like about this rumor is driving up the price on the Clippers so they lose depth and continue a downward spiral.

I initially wasn't bothered but just the overall arrogance that just stunk all over the franchise/their players, can't help but take some satisfaction from the seeming implosion that seems to be quickly building up as Balmer panics and fumbles around to find a solution.

Feel the same about the CavaLakers. JR Smith with as many rings as McCaw feels so wrong.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#253 » by Dalek » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:18 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Dalek wrote:

My guess is they have liked him ever since he worked out for us in his draft year.. This rumour created by who knows may indicate we are likely to lose both Serge and Gasol and we pay up on Fred the value where he stays a Raptor long term. When they signed Fred to 9 mil. management was beyond happy to see Fred make that milestone. I expect them to rebuild the centre position completely along the lines of the ages lining up with this core.

Good point about how the rumors may add up to the long term strategy. I think it will be a hard fact for Toronto fans to get used to, but the Championship era team is going to break-up. It just makes no sense to hang on for another year or so when this team showed its flaws against Boston. Ibaka and Gasol were both healthy going into the playoffs and they barely played to close the games in the end.

Maybe these rumors don't add up to Harrell being signed, and maybe they go hard after Davis Bertrans, or Joe Harris or my personal favorite, Jerami Grant -- although, all of those guys are not going to play C which is the biggest positional need. The only sticking point will be the future with Giannis. He would be the starting C, so you may not want to tie up money in Harrell if your team thinks he is going to be strictly a bench big. Ibaka was a good camper about it, but Harrell might not be.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#254 » by Ackshun » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:54 pm

If our #1 scoring option was a guard, then maybe it makes sense but I don't see him and Pascal closing out games together.

This is assuming he is salary is north of 15 million per
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#255 » by Lukeem » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:19 pm

will Harrell get more money than ;

Favours
Grant
Wood
Gallinari ?
Giles

If so I’d rather anyone of those... favours only because he would probably be half the price
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,170

Post#256 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 pm

casual_raps_fan wrote:
KawhiSoSerious wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:Is it that simple?

I'm not sure what Fred and Ibaka's cap hold is but it will definitely take us over the cap. Are you saying that we would be signing Harrel to a 1 year MLE? How big is our MLE?

Oh no, I don't want to sign him at all. But I trust Masai. Even if it turns out to be a poor signing I believe he will fix it (The turn-around time from fixing the gay, Bargnani and Caroll situations to winning a title were very impressive). Could even be potentially included in a sign and trade for Giannis or Beal or whoever. I don't believe Harrel can be had for the MLE, and I don't know if he would take a 1+1 with team option (with major overpay), but that could work too.

Just to be clear, I’m not interested in him either. Lol. He’s not an upgrade over Ibaka.

I was just wondering if it was realistically possible to sign Fred, Ibaka, Harrrel and maintain max cap space.

no.

FVV is going to get a multi year deal as well as Harrell (probably both at 15-20)

Ibaka can be signed at a 1 year deal but don't think he does that. They are currently sitting at 86M in 2020-2021 right now with no players resigning and not including FVV, Ibaka, Gasol's caphold.

they are at around $46M in the offseason of 2021. with FVV and Harrell both at $40M combined. thats about 86M + OG's extension/caphold + Terence Davis' extension.caphold. Lowry's caphold is around, for arguments sake, $30M.

so no. unless there is a huge spike in salary cap, probably only afford either FVV or Harrell long term if you want a chance at signing Giannis.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,082

Post#257 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 am

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/montrezl-harrell-works-out-with-stanley-johnson

Harrell to Toronto confirmed. Kinda wish this story means Stanley is going to the Clippers instead lol.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#258 » by COY0607 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:49 am

sounds like smokescreen - maybe to get Ballmer to overpay?

Harrell will cost $15M - $18M per season, given you solid offence but is terrible defensive player. Him being on the court really hurt the Clippers in late game situation in the playoffs. Worse still, Harrell plays the same positions as your best two young players (Siakam and OG)

I'd rather bring back Ibaka on a 1-year $25M deal than give Harrell 3-years @ $50M
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#259 » by FreshyFlames » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:55 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:The only thing I like about this rumor is driving up the price on the Clippers so they lose depth and continue a downward spiral.

Feel the same about the CavaLakers. JR Smith with as many rings as McCaw feels so wrong.

McCaw has 3 JR has 2
Raps in 6ix
JustWin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,927

Post#260 » by JustWin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 am

Sign Harrell and Re-sign Serge if possible, trade Siakam for a wing player

Return to Toronto Raptors